[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Afterlife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: thelight.jpg (2 MB, 1701x1129) Image search: [Google]
thelight.jpg
2 MB, 1701x1129
There must be some kind of afterlife, right?

I'm not talking about some bullshit Christian Heaven where everything's fluffy and happy, I just mean there must be a world after this one.

We humans are too complex, too sentient to just totally vanish. Our memories, our ideas and ideals, our minds... It can't just fade away.

I used to be so fucking stupid. Worrying about Chads and Stacys and Robots, but its all bullshit. We all die in the end, we all disappear.

There has to be something, anything.

I'm afraid of the dark.
>>
i fuckin hope not. thats retarded
>>
You are a biological computer.
Consciousness and sentience is no magic beyond our understanding like you seem to think.
Computers don't go to a silicon heaven when they turn off.
You are no different.

I'm afraid of the dark too OP. hold me
>>
>>25344359
There is afterlife in the sense that lower forms of life will eat your body after you die.
>>
>>25344359
i hope there is something after we finish here, i dream of space
>>
>>25344359
afterlife is an awful word
>>
>>25344469
>your body

In fact, what the fuck did I just say? There is no such thing as 'your body'. You ARE your body.
>>
Reincarnation would be pretty cool desu senpai but nah you're just gonna rot away.
>>
>>25344359
I'm sorry to break it to you but there's nothing on the other side of life. Life is cruel.
>>
>>25344359
>We humans are too complex, too sentient to just totally vanish. Our memories, our ideas and ideals, our minds... It can't just fade away.

Jesus, get off that high horse, we are just monkeys that control electricity, there is nothing especial about the human race
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_recurrence_theorem

If this theorem is right, then everything will repeat itself for eternity and death is an illusion.
>>
>>25344613
Dear god please let this be the truth
>>
File: s10r9dr.jpg (48 KB, 648x595) Image search: [Google]
s10r9dr.jpg
48 KB, 648x595
>>25344359
>Im afraid of the dark

You made me think of some proud man reverting back to childhood right before he dies.

OP why did you do this to me?
>>
>>25345010
This sperglord has no Idea what "regression" means as a defense mechanism
>>
>>25344359
>must be
lol
>>
>>25344613
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_recurrence_theorem
Dude the initial state is the universe as a singularity, meaning the universe is a snow-globe and the singularity is the flakes falling to the bottom. The big bang is a shake. It may look the same, but obviously the flakes would be rearranged in different positions everytime.
>>
File: 1442144997739.png (339 KB, 2000x2368) Image search: [Google]
1442144997739.png
339 KB, 2000x2368
>>25344461
>You are a biological computer.
Prove it.

>>25344461
>Computers don't go to a silicon heaven when they turn off.
When you turn off the radio the channel doesn't disappear.
>>
I've seen ghosts and had visions of future events, which confirms, for me at least, that there is something bigger out there. I genuinely look forward to my death, not in a depressive way, but just to see what happens.
>>
>>25345587
So you've had hallucinations and odd dreams. Cool.
>>
>>25344359
>We humans are too complex, too sentient to just totally vanish. Our memories, our ideas and ideals, our minds... It can't just fade away.

I think this is wrong

Essentially, I think it's incredibly easy to underestimate the staggeringly complex systems put together by evolution

There is really no more reason to think we have an afterlife than to think a goldfish has one
>>
They physical parts of your body or broken down and reused by nature as nutrience or returned to nature as the simple elements that make you up like calcium and sodium and so on.

The energy that is in your system is then lost to entropy.
>>
>>25345377
>When you turn off the radio the channel doesn't disappear.

Are you saying we're receiving consciousness somewhere like a radio receives radio waves?

that's ridiculous

And even then the channel might not disappear, but the radio ceases to function.
>>
I'm not religious, but I believe there is an afterlife. Read up on NDEs (near death experiences). It's an interesting phenomenon on this subject. Basically people who have been to the afterlife and back to tell. Yes, they could be lying, but I don't think a lot of them are. Freaky things have happened like coming back after deciding to live and their terminal cancer being miraculously cured in weeks. Or hearing things that were said in other rooms when they were "dead".

http://youtu.be/gWf8V1PXN-k
>>
>>25346103
>that's ridiculous
Why exactly ?
>>
>>25346103
We are tuning into consciousness, like a radio tunes into a station. Fundamentally everything is energy. Everything is also a wave of potential energy until it's wave function collapses into a single desernable thing. What the wave function collapses into has to do with what your consciousness resonates with (ie tunes into).

Of course, this is all theorical. But that's what I believe. Go look up the quantum physics split expiriament of you don't believe everything is an infinite wave of potential energy, until you observe it and then it collapses its wave function.
>>
We tend to think of consciousness as something that appears and disappears as people are born and die. But maybe, instead of disappearing, it just moves around.

Maybe consciousness is just one big expanding and contracting "thing." When someone dies, their consciousness is broken down and recycled into something else, just like the physical matter that made up their body.

Maybe it's instantaneous, so that one moment you feel that you're finally dying, and the next you find yourself in a womb, without any memories of what came before, wondering if this warm, wet place is the entire world.

Reincarnation is the simplest explanation I can come up with for what comes after death, except for oblivion and nothingness. And I refuse to believe that oblivion is all there is.
>>
Either the machine reproceses you or it breaks down and something weird happens
Dats my guess

>>25345587
I know that feeling brojoni
>>
>>25344359
Do you actually want to live forever? Fuck off normie.
>>
I hope there's nothing after this.
This shit was fucking horrible and I hate myself, I'm not tryna do no eternity.
Inb4 edgy, but if there is a god, I'm killing that nigger.
I want it to be like a switch, and everything just goes to black.
The sweet sweet abyss, please take me.
>>
>>25347935
You want to turn everything OFF

I get it brother
>>
>>25346290
Neurochemicals are one hell of a drug.
Go overdose on SSRIs and you'll see Disney characters telling you that secret to immortality. It's all in the mind.
>>
>>25347966
I just want nothingness.
No color.
No light.
No memories.
I don't want to be alive.
I constantly dream about the apocalypse and every time I lucid dream, I always try to kill myself, hoping I'll be dead irl and never wake up.
Why the fuck did my parents even have me?
>>
>>25348044
Soon, friend. This world is doomed. Nuclear weapons, madmen in positions of power, don't you fret. This place is going to be dust and echoes in a couple years.
>>
>>25347991
I personally believe that NDE's can be explained through neuroscience. But the thing that separates NDE's from drug hallucinations is how vivid, yet also coherent, NDEs are as opposed to a drug induced hallucination.
>>
>>25348044
>Why the fuck did my parents even have me?
I think about something like this. Except it's more "I could've been any arrangement of neurons that have rise to a different subjective experience or any infinite number of things could've happened that prevented my birth yet I'm here"
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.