[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virginity is a social construct
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 2Spooky4Me.jpg (95 KB, 1280x840) Image search: [Google]
2Spooky4Me.jpg
95 KB, 1280x840
Although it seems straightforward enough to say that everyone has either had sex or they haven't, the way that virginity is defined is ultimately contingent upon some highly arbitrary social choices, with problematic implications.

The most obvious factor is that sex itself is an ambiguously defined term. Most people would agree that limiting yourself to Penis-in-Vagina intercourse is too limiting considering the wide varieties of sexualities in modern life, there's a great deal of debate over whether various lewd activities count as sexual activity. Does touching count? Does licking count? Furthermore a big issue is that many people who consider themselves virgins have in fact engaged in quite a lot of sexual acts, they merely have not engaged any other people in these acts. But why should we consider such people to have an incomplete sexuality?

The deeper problem is one of grammar. When we say someone is a virgin, we say that they have virginity, and then they lose that virginity when they have sex. But this way of description is not how we usually refer to undergo new experiences. People who visit a new city for the first time or try a new food are not "losing it" they're just trying new things. To treat virginity as a noun is to treat it as something special, either something sacred and pure which needs to be preserved, or something embarrassing which needs to be lost. But both attitudes are a very limiting attitude towards sexuality. People should be able to try new experiences, sometimes alone and sometimes with some nice friends, without it being treated as becoming a new kind of person.

Sex is something a lot of people seem to enjoy and I think I should try it some time. But to create a world full of social justice, we need to move beyond such narrow ideas like virginity. Only then can we have truly liberated sexualities.

Picture not related.
>>
that's great but when are feminists going to stop shaming me for never having been with a woman?
that's when I'll stop shaming sluts for giving up sex easy
>>
>>25341225
I'd never understood this either. Insulting a man for not having sex isn't any different than insulting a woman for having too much of it, botch are instances of shaming somebody for their sexual experience (usually to shut them up instead of actually addressing what they've saying). I guess feminists are hypocrites on a high horse, who would have known...
>>
>>25341175

I disagree. At least for me, I needed to go all the way with a woman. Now I am more confident when talking to them.
>>
File: 1451180118697.png (935 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1451180118697.png
935 KB, 900x900
>>25341175
Too much text. You're not wrong but it's a bit cringy
>>
>problematic

stopped reading there.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 500x750
>>25341713 again.

Women are not easy to understand, sex is an important part that they usually keep well concealed. You have to reach that level to get the full picture.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.