[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My grandma is paying for my university and I legitimately don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: college.jpg (167 KB, 900x695) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
167 KB, 900x695
My grandma is paying for my university and I legitimately don't know what to major in. I start this January and I just can't find something that I wouldn't be lying to myself to that I'm interested in. I have to go, though. It's all set up and I know that I have to do it. What should I major in, or rather... what have you guys majored in? How is life going?

For whatever fucking reason, I keep thinking about language majors like russian or german, even though they're absolutely fucking useless unless you're learning some archaic language nobody ever learns and people need translators for. I just feel like I'm going to waste this big opportunity and I don't want to. I start in less than two weeks and I'm getting worried at this point.
>>
>>25329109
just do a STEM anon
>>
>>25329109
if you aren't truly interested you'll probably drop out after 2 years at the latest

source: have attended two prestigious unis with two different majors and dropped out of both
>>
>>25329109
don't you have to apply to a program before you join a university? what university is it? anyway go for engineering
>>
File: browsing_g.jpg (92 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
browsing_g.jpg
92 KB, 800x400
>>25329149
I truly don't think that I'm smart enough. I never took Calculus, and made a C in my Pre-Calculus class back in high school. I've been a NEET for 2.5 years. I can't even take Calculus 1 as I didn't test into it. I tested into a Technical Calculus class which is the one below and everything under it like college algebra 1/2 and trigonometry etc..

>>25329164
My university lets you take the classes anyway and prove yourself, basically. If you take the classes and get the grades, they change your major from "undergraduate studies" to whatever you're taking classes in, as long as it's what you wanted to do in the first place. It's nice, I guess.
>>
>>25329159
I just want to find something that will be useful, and will be interesting to me, genuinely. I can't think of anything that fits both. I feel like I have to do something hard, but I don't think I'm smart enough for anything hard anyway. just fuck my shit up, I'm an idiot.
>>
>>25329109

You can change majors while going to college. It's common, I did it, countless college faculty I've spoken to agreed that it's common.

I'm assuming you're talking about US colleges. I'd give you about 2 years of "leisure time" before you will want to find something and stick with it. There's approximately 4 semesters of "core" credits that almost all majors would need to graduate, so you would have ~4 semesters of getting those out of the way to find what major you want and what classes that major will require.

Changing majors after those semesters of getting core credits out of the way is inefficient, depending on the major. All those art classes that you finished for an art major are meaningless if you switch to a chemistry major, for example.

For picking a major, ignore all these faggots and pick something you're interested in. If you just take something for the money either you wont be motivated enough to stick with it or you'll be another money-grubbing shitwad oversaturating the field. Like engineering, or med school, or compsci, etc etc. If just want teh munnehs just take business or some shit.
>>
i'm in the same situation as OP

what classes do i take if i'm not ready to choose a major?

I'm in the US btw
>>
>>25329216
then do a normie tier meme degree like accounting or business

just don't waste it doing art or something like gender studies or psych
>>
>>25329311
a lot of programs want you taking classes related to the major even in your first semester.
>>
>>25329109
I'll be majoring in Aeronautical science or Quantum physics
>>
>>25329216
Computer Science doesn't require you to be that smart, I know, I'm doing it. Some schools will offer a BA in CS--if you opt for that, you can probably skip the harder math requirements with only a minor hit to your job prospects.

Engineering is the only thing that really makes money at this point. Anything else is a bit of a risk at best and a waste of money at worse. Doing something you hate 40 hours/week is painful, but being homeless is way worse so.
>>
>>25329459
I am in engineering and I do not know if the whole engineering is an easy degree meme is real or not because I find it difficult and time consuming so maybe I am just dumb.
>>
>>25329459
>there are schools that allow you to get an arts degree in computer SCIENCE
No wonder it has a shit reputation in the US
>>
>>25329216
i got a C in algebra ii honors in HS.
that was the last real math i took before college
i got an A in calc i and ii, and an A+ in calc iii

just do the homework thoroughly, make sure you get the right answers, and study the homework before tests. its that easy.
>>
>>25329510
Which engineering? Computer Science/software engineering is easy. The rest of them are legit hard, especially EE.

>>25329524
My school's BA program had the exact same CS classes as the BS, but instead of needing to take physics + Calc IV + chem as your gen eds you needed to get a language requirement, philosophy, etc.

Most of the more prestiguous companies do want you to have a BS though, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>25329588
I am in computer engineering, which is pretty much a mix between electrical engineering and software engineering
>>
>>25329264
i have been searching for a decade

first few years people are supportive "omg i totally don't know either!!!" but slowly they stop understanding how someone could not be interested in anything
>>
>>25329109
what are your interests op? you're on 4chan so i assume you're better with computers than most people
>>
>>25329611
I'd ditch that if I were you, it doesn't employ well and it's needlessly hard. Just go full CS. With CE you won't be trusted as a "real" programmer, and the jobs that actually require CE's are few and far between. There's not that many people making the hardware but every Joe and his mom have a hot new startup idea they want an app for.
>>
>>25329510
Dw bud, I thought it was hard too. Junior year I kicked my ass into shape and studied hard and got good grades, but I barely ended up above a 3.0.

Still got a nice cushy SWE job where I do maybe 2 hours of total work per day. The rest of the day I browse reddit/4chins on my phone and diddle around with my own software.
>>
File: 170083559.jpg (34 KB, 608x406) Image search: [Google]
170083559.jpg
34 KB, 608x406
Business, business, business. No particular level of intelligence required, and it is applicable to pretty much any field of work. Just get a business degree, anon. It's never a waste.
>>
>>25329679
nigga I want to make robot waifus
I am specializing in robotics next year kek
>>
>>25329754
lolk, follow ur dreams
>>
Think about going to law school after a Polisci degree. That's what almost all lawyers/politicians do, but it's not a lifestyle for everyone.
>>
>>25329794
Lawyer isn't a good job anymore. You make shit money unless you own a huge firm (hint: you won't, it's all the old pros) and it's super hard to get employed AND you need to go into huge debt to pay for law school, which is also balls hard. 0/10 would not recommend.
>>
>>25329109
Biz or accounting. Get fat loans . Make big bank
>>
>>25329816
There's more to law than just private practice, bub.
>>
>>25329842
Yes, and it's all incredibly competitive. It's not worth it.
>>
Following your passion is for losers. Unless you are talented at math or programming just go for a normie degree like accounting economics or business.
>>
>>25329109
READ ME!
I rarely post, but for the love of god, do the following!

If you have no idea what you want to major in consider saving your grandma's cash and attend community college for all of your general education classes and some of your upper division classes.

This should give you a great idea of what you are interested in and what you are not interested in without breaking the bank. If you decide to go STEM, it is a great place (dependent on the instructors) to get a solid understanding for all the maths and sciences (calculus, chemistry, biology, physics) because you are not competing with literally hundreds of students for the instructors attention plus CC instructors generally like teaching.

Just try to find a good CC with great staff.
>>
>>25329109
If you have the money for college why don't you go to Europe for your degree? You'll pay many times less for the tuition fees. My MA cost me about $20,000 mostly living costs (I studied in Denmark) - I paid $500 for registration fees and that's it.
>>
>>25329877
>>25329109

To add on to what I said, it is a very terrible idea to go into a university without some direction. To give you an idea, I work in a lab, and the best student assistants I hired have been community college transfers because they generally have their stuff together and know what they want from the university and have all their lower divisions finished so they are serious in their goals. CC gets a bad rep, but the brightest instructor I met (compared to my uni instructors) was from a CC class.

Really, don't ride off this advice, do your research and give it a solid chance. You will not regret it
>>
>>25329877
DO THIS

CC is the best way to figure out what you want to do, while saving money.

Just take GE's to get the basic shit out of the way. An extra year or two should give you enough time to figure shit out.
>>
>>25329877
>>25329973
>>25329983
gtfo pls
>>
>>25329999
don't you have a cucckold thread you should be on right now?

nice quads btw
>>
File: thumbs_up_tomato.gif (511 KB, 409x226) Image search: [Google]
thumbs_up_tomato.gif
511 KB, 409x226
>>25329754
Random anon here. I have the same goal, Anon. Cool shit.

I'm focusing more on AI and compsci than robotics though. Just keeping robotics as a hobby.
>>
Major in Medicine.
It makes your life interesting,most of the people here suffer because their lives are boring thus they are depressed,unsociable,unattractive,etc.
>>
>>25330115
you can't just major in medicine nigger.
>>
>major in russian language
>move to russia/ukraine/finland/slav country
>pull qt3.14 grill who wants a strong american man who knows how to treat women unlike retarded russian guys
and your life was forever cooler than whatever the STEM-fags were shilling about
>>
>>25330288
Depends on the country,do whatever course its required before then.
>>
>>25330115
It's really competitive to be a doctor and based on these posts, OP won't make it.
>>
>>25330351
oh, and you'll literally use your degree every day, while you're making love to your qt3.14 and listen to her whisper qt3.14 things into your ear in her native tongue

sounds better than designing a circuit board in a cubicle as an engineer, gee what do i know though
>>
Computer science. High paying, fun
>>
>>25330558
it's neither
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.