[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever considered living in a van? I don't even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 236x177
Has anyone ever considered living in a van? I don't even want to do it to travel I just fucking hate my mom and I want to move to an expensive city for my career and it seems like the best way.
>>
>living in a van
>in winter

Enjoy wearing all of your clothes at the same time.
>>
>>25328339
Not that bad when you get used to it Senpai Desunator.

Do it OP, it's fun for masochists.
>>
>>25328286
Unless your expensive city is in California the winters will suck.
>>
I've been thinking about roughly the same thing, get one of those class b rvs, a part time job, and rent a mailbox somewhere and just live in that. Too bad they're expensive as fuck.
>>
>>25328339
Just get a good sleeping bag.

I have a neg20 bag that keeps me toasty.
>>
>googled this question
>found a reddit thread answered by a guy who lived in a van in London

Why do people even come to r9k to ask questions?
>>
>>25328286
vans are like boats except they're smaller and arguably even worse in winter.

If you want a preview, take your car, or rent one for 30$ and sleep in it for a night.
>>
>>25328538
>retard OP doesn't specify a damn thing and expects people to know his skillset.
>lives with his mother.
Yeah this is a joke thread.
>>
>>25328538
>>25328286
>>>/out/

literally check that board
there was a thread about this topic already and i doubt its been pruned yet
>>
Just get an arctic sleeping bag, an AC adaptwr for the cig lighter and a low voltage heat pump, maybe a hot plate and youre set. Dont forget to have your parking validated at the Y when you go for your monthly shower
>>
if I didn't love my cats so much I would tbqh
I can't leave them though, they're the only things that make me happy. and I could never subject them to a tiny van like that. even though I could live in it easily.
>>
>>25328458
It is. Southern California or south floria
>>
I can't imagine living without a shower.
>>
>>25328566
What? A van has room for a futon and desks and even places to store food and other shit and enough room to lay down and move around

A car seat is like a 3 foot long futon
>>
>I just fucking hate my mom

Jesus, how white can you get?
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (986 KB, 364x273) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
986 KB, 364x273
>>25328286
YOU'LL BE DOIN A LOT OF LIVING IN A VAN! WHEN YOU'RE LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!
>>
>>25329074
Really, no one? Fuck you guys.
>>
>>25329189
How do you want people to respond?
You posted a reference to a funny skit.
Good fucking job. You did a lot of very difficult work. It must have been so difficult for you to post a reference.

Also you fucked up the quote, dumbass.
>>
>>25329727
I changed it to fit the context
>>
I had a 1994 e150 conversion van for a while. I bought it to use for cargo hauling as a way to make money, but found a cheap 1997 Ram 3500, so the conversion van mostly sat unless normie roommates wanted to go on some road trip. We went up to a cabin one time and two of them had sex on the fold down bed. They smashed the tv and vcr on that trip. The van stunk of spilled beer.

It was not very warm even running a little electric battery killing heater. It wasn't comfortable. It didn't have any comforts other than the shitty TV and vcr, which I replaced with an LCD and laptop. No toilet. No cooking appliances. Almost no storage. I could have lived in it maybe, but it would have been a hassle.

I got a free camper van built on a chevy g30 from a person two streets over last year. That would have been livable, but it had no engine, transmission, or exhaust and the frame had rust holes. I have it to a family friend to put next to a pond on his property.
>>
>>25328286
Yes, but I'd buy a broken down one to be used to just park on a small piece of land that I rent. You can reant land really cheaply. Like 50 a month cheap if I recall, here in the US. So, seeing as how you don't want to travel, maybe see if you can rent the land.
>>
>>25329791
You're being too beta
>>
>>25328286
>I... hate my mom

Kek. Underage butt flustered as fuck omega detected.

Stop being a faggot and tidy your room and wash your clothes, you pathetic fucking brat
>>
File: IE94GCL.jpg (504 KB, 2937x2203) Image search: [Google]
IE94GCL.jpg
504 KB, 2937x2203
You can do it Opie. You just need a little elbow grease and a used minibus to refurbish.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/
>>
File: image.jpg (425 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
425 KB, 2304x1536
I've done loads of research on living in a van, because I'm a god damned free spirit and I want to be able to move without having to box up my possessions and pay a shitton of money for rent. I can help you with plans to build a van home.

The best one I've seen yet has a set of pictures which are sort of like a tutorial posted on imgur, here http://imgur.com/a/20H3B

if you don't already have a van, you might look into getting a Ford Box Truck like pic related, with the widest track width (distance between the tires) as you can find. the extra space above the cab is great for storage or, if it's tall enough, a loft bed which will be really great for utilizing all your space.

all you need for power is 2-3 car batteries and a solar panel on the top of your van. you can run lights, heat, a/c, a microwave or toaster oven, and even a computer off of that much (given you have enough sunlight in a day to keep the charge up). depending on how long-term you're thinking, you can purchase and install a composting toilet in a separate cabinet. I'd recommend creating a special little cabinet to hold a propane camping stove, for food and heat in the case of no power.

I'd wager for about $6-8k you could have a fully functional, completely debt-free house-on-wheels, and that includes the truck (used) - if you know how to do the hands-on work. most of the work is installing the power system and building the frame to sit inside the truck to hold things like shelves, tabletops, and your bed in place.

living in a van has been my dream for a while and I can't wait to acquire the funds to create something like this. for $8k or even $10k, you could only afford 10-20 months of rent and utilities...
>>
File: Screenshot_2.jpg (27 KB, 686x145) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.jpg
27 KB, 686x145
>>25329074
>>25329189
>>25329791
Don't worry friend. I upvoted you just like on Reddit :^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>25328286
I've genuinely considered it.

I grew up a spoiled rich kid in an abusive household, and when I ran away from home, I kinda adopted the minimalist lifestyle. I lived in a car, then out of a backpack for a while.

A van would suit me perfectly, especially if i got a cheap 24-hour gym membership for showering and shaving.

Might actually do it if I can get a VW T2 up and running after colege.
>>
>>25329059
ah, that's right. 70% of niggers are born in fatherless homes and mothers are all they have.

fun fact: that's where "yo mama" jokes come from.
>>
>>25330568
>VW T2
You can live in a van without being a fucking stereotype
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.