[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather have been a first wave lander at Normandy or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: SC320901.jpg (541 KB, 2917x2340) Image search: [Google]
SC320901.jpg
541 KB, 2917x2340
Would you rather have been a first wave lander at Normandy or a machine gun operating German in one of the pillboxes?
Assume either way you die in this conflict.
>>
First wave lander, I would have died a hero, young and innocent, without having to deal with the pains of this world. The only pain would be the burning of the bullet in my chest and my blood pouring out my body. Then I would be released to sweet freedom and bliss.
>>
>>25326688
First wave lander. I feel like the experience of slowly approaching the shore before the doors drop and charging out like a berserker would be better then sitting in a cement box either oblivious to how big the force is or scared shitless.
>>
File: 1428284601907.gif (704 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1428284601907.gif
704 KB, 500x369
>>25326688
>tfw there will never be another great, epic-scale, end-all-be-all ground conflict EVER again
>from here on out nothin' but drones and roadside bombs and spec ops
>>
German, at least then I'd be dying for a good cause. also, fuck having to run, especially when getting shot
>>
>grandpa actually fought at Normandy
>never tried to go any further in the military
>ended his military 'career' as a Private
Kind of interesting when I found that out but meh.
>>
first wave lander but I better be allowed to bring a sword so I'll go down in history as a guy who brought a kick ass sword onto the beach
I think there was another guy that did it to but we would still be known as absolute madmen
>>
German in the pillbox. Assuming that I warp into that person's mind the moment I post this.
>>
File: 1436156677129.png (892 KB, 1024x896) Image search: [Google]
1436156677129.png
892 KB, 1024x896
>you'll never go back in time and fix history
>>
>>25326893
>Implying history needs fixing
>Implying "fixing" history wouldn't have terrible unforeseen repercussions for the present and future

This is why if time-travel is ever invented, the gov'ts are going to lock it up from the layman.
>>
Pillbox might be better because you could just mow people down until the time came that the battle was lost and then you could just discretely go into a corner and shoot yourself to at least make it quick.

I'm a coward.
>>
>>25326977
You'd be having such a giggle mowing down chads you wouldn't notice the crazy beta that had wormed his way into your bunker with the flamethrower.
>>
Pillbox. I like the idea of dying quickly by a grenade better than I like the idea of being cut down in front of my comrades, demoralizing them and bleeding out slowly in terror and agony. The terror must have been unimaginable, give those men a medal of valor or SOMETHING.
>>
>>25327024
that mental image made me kek britty good
>>
>>25326771
Alien invasion that drives humanity to extinction will have some bretty epic battles.
>>
Well, I hate throwing up so I'd rather be a German in the pillbox.

That, and I feel like at least the Germans were up front and real about what they stood for. Americans then were probably more so racist, misogynistic, bible thumping pieces of hypocritical shit, and no amount of god-tier swing or 40s cuties could change that for me.

Not that I don't practice those things I've mentioned, but I'd rather be up front with it than be another sheep blindly rallying into a cause just because normie culture.
>>
>>25327378
>*more so etc. than they are now*
>>
>>25326688
Honestly depends on where my landing zone is. There were areas on both sides that saw little to no action, and in some cases the Allies took control quickly with few casualties. Assuming I'm in the worst area? Definitely the pillbox. Then you'd at least have a slightly higher chance of living to surrender rather than being cut down like grass as soon as the front door opens.

>>25327024
5 star post
>>
>>25326825
Mine did too, as a combat engineer.

He was an NCO at the end of the war, but I can't remember what exact rank.

He became something between a glorified security guard and a cop at a large secure installation after the war. (He was guarding an oil refinery, but had a gun and a real police badge and full powers of arrest etc.)
>>
German in the pillbox
>>
First wave lander. I'm in the military and its kind of sad to me we'll never have a war like this again.

Intel is nice though.
>>
>>25326688
>Implying the machine gunner didn't kill 20 men before succumbing

My k/d was higher so get fucked fags
>>
File: yuibf4-2.jpg (120 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
yuibf4-2.jpg
120 KB, 1000x563
>>25327489
>caring about K/D in an objective-based game

PTFO shitter, this is why we're losing. And all you other fucks, stop spawning as recon and get the fuck onto the capture point already.
>>
Storming the beach mah nigga. Better chance of a swift death than in the pillbox, assuming death is guaranteed.
>>
First wave lander
I would try and mentally pump myself, strap a bunch of grenades to myself and sprint straight at the nearest pillbox, neatly punting myself into it as i pull the pin
>>
File: 1450381596132.png (358 KB, 333x507) Image search: [Google]
1450381596132.png
358 KB, 333x507
I'd take my chances on the beach.

>tfw in the infantry and you know that you will never get to fight in a conventional war, only COIN operations in the desert.

Not that I hate COIN, but I'm also not a high speed low drag SF guy who gets to actually do shit.
>>
>>25326688
The former. Gunning down tons of other guys my own age, just as frightened and unwilling to be there as I am, all probably wishing they were at home or somewhere safe, sounds like an awful thing to do in my last moments.
>>
>>25328095
>Gunning down tons of other guys my own age, just as frightened and unwilling to be there as I am, all probably wishing they were at home or somewhere safe, sounds like an awful thing to do in my last moments.

They're trying to kill you, you know? None of them would have any problem sticking a bayonet in your heart, shooting you in the head, or blowing you to pieces with a grenade.

The latter - if I'm going to die prematurely I'm going to take as many people with me as I can.
>>
So basically die by being shot/drowning vs blown apart with a hand grenade. Eh all be the lad in the boat because patriotism
>>
>>25328224
I guess I'm just a more empathetic person. I know they don't want to be there either, even though we're both trying to kill each other.
>>
>>25327378
>germans were upfront
The camps were a big secret however, amoung other things
>>
I didn't ask to be born to a Jewish dad, but I was, so the Germans aren't exactly an option for me.

It's a shame Hitler had to get all hooked on the racial dogma shit, if he'd just stuck with normal world domination I would have been on board, what with all those snazzy Hugo Boss uniforms and sexy planes and tanks and desire to crush Stalin.
>>
>>25326803
>good cause
>obese alcoholic NEET tripfag

fitting
>>
>>25326688

First waver. Stastically better chance I survive, and am not some random Czech shmuck who got one of the shortest straws in the history of Western warfare, right behind Leonidas' 300, the British Light Brigade, and the Bataan Death March.
>>
File: ef8.png (795 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ef8.png
795 KB, 1920x1080
>>25328368
>>25328370
>oi veh muh 6 trillion
Don't you kikes have Blacked threads to spam?
>>
>>25328557
I want 4chan to leave
>>
German, i'd be fighting for my fatherland and for the right cause.
>>
machine gun operator
I'd want to at least die fighting for the right side
>>
German gunner for dat dere original BRRRT
>>
>>25328557
Why the hell would we spam Blacked threads?

I'm happy sticking to the hope that I can pull a Woody Allen and marry a hot Asian MILF, and then dump her for her daughter when she gets too old.
>>
>>25326771
WWII had "spec ops" but mostly during the opening years and it was the kind where these fellas daringly infiltrate an enemy factory to blow it up after hiding out in the Norwegian wilderness for almost a month on their own type spec ops.

I agree though modern war post nukes is boring shit, I yearn for a good videogame where its all out fucking war across the world, alternate history game, imagine a good ol' fashioned European war all over the african and asian continent, shit like that.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.