[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the hell are there fat poor people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9
File: 1451262710173.png (770 KB, 638x638) Image search: [Google]
1451262710173.png
770 KB, 638x638
How the hell are there fat poor people?
>>
Because eating 2 mcdonalds cheeseburgers a day won't make you fat, but eating 5 probably will
>>
>>25322776
neetbux and fastfood
>>
They eat loads of cheap shitty fattening food.

Your post made me laugh though 9/10
>>
It's all about gov't food subsidies. There's more money for potatoes, corn, and high-calorie shit than fresh veggies, so the cheapest food is calorie-dense and low-nutrient content.
>>
>>25322776
it takes a lot of time to make healthy food and most of it is spent working, i would guess. Also its more readily available, transportable and has a longer shelf life than fruit ect.
>>
>>25322776
Most poor people aren't so poor that they are starving every day.
Cheap food is often fattening. Being thin and fit is a bourgeoisie value for people with lots of excess time not working or taking care of kids.
>>
Most the people in the US have fat genetics.
>>
>>25322776
Sedentary (sitting down 90% of the time) combined with easily accessible high calorie food and drink.

This means lots of fuel+no fuel burned=fat.
>>
Governments want to kill off the poor by making them fat and lazy too so that they'll die earlier.
>>
>>25322776
cheapest food is fattening
>>
>>25322887
this isn't true see >>25322840
>>
>>25322887
>>25322860
The most easily accessible meals are fattening. Studies show that dirt cheap foods such as rice and potatoes are more cost effective meals then the more accessible "fast food" (fast food defining meals both from fast food restauraunts as well as canned and frozen goods).

That being said, for someone working many hours at an underpaid job, it may be more effective to heat up a can of something rather than take the time to prepare and cook a meal.
>>
because junk food is fast and easy, and most poor people are either too lazy or too busy to cook for themselves, exercise, etc. also alcohol
>>
>>25322776
mexicans from mexico are among the fattest people in the world.
also, i have been to a particularly poor african country in a simply working-class area and i can tell you that the average older women is fat as fuck.
pretty much everyone has food on the table in the world today, except during times of food scarcity, but that's in very specific regions and related to things like drought.
>>
BECAUSE ORGANIC FOOD IS TOO EXPENSIVE YOU FAT-SHAMING TOOL
>>
>>25322959
Sure, and I bet all those people who barely made it through high school are really up to date on all the latest scientific tests on calorie per dollar.

The less processed foods take longer to prepare, more know-how, specialized equipment, and at the end of a long day working in a shitty job nobody wants to come back to eating flavorless rice. They also usually eat at the places they work or need to eat quickly on the go.
>>
>>25322929
dude
>>25322840
confirms what
>>25322887
said
confirmes
>>
>>25323018
Food doesn't have to be organic to be healthy. In fact, many non-natural foods are artificially modified or enriched to be healthier then they normally would be by adding certain hard-to-obtain vitamins and minerals.

There are several genetically modified organisms under development and/or FDA review that may make it easier or cheaper to eat healthy. By giving a plant natural resistance to disease and pests, this equates to less pesticides used and higher yield.
>>
File: 1450499929952.png (263 KB, 1179x897) Image search: [Google]
1450499929952.png
263 KB, 1179x897
>>25322776
after millions of years, humans have triumphed over the land and soil to the point of shutting most people out of healthy, productive diets while giving them the option of cheap, over processed sugars and meats.

look up the super normal stimulus, the world is full of stressors and most people do not have good habits based on the above.
>>
>>25323056
I didn't say they knew about the research, and I you're literally repeating what I said when I said they'd rather heat up a TV dinner then cook. Not sure where all the hostility is coming from, all I was saying was that it's not because fast food is the cheapest, but because it's cheap and the easiest.
>>
hi mr skeltal
>>
>>25322887
Not true.....
Oc
>>
>>25323001
reminds me of another point. carbs and fatty meat are cheap, and vegetables and lean meat are expensive. a poor person is much more likely to buy rice and beans than kale or chicken breast
>>
>>25323182
It is actually true though, if you look at the cost per calorie; calorie dense food is vastly cheaper
>>
>>25323187
chicken is cheap everywhere, pork as well. however, meat like beef is relatively expensive.
>>
The common argument is that food that is bad for you is cheaper. This is incorrect.

The truth is that being poor has a correlation with low intelligence, and low intelligence correlates with not making healthy life choices.
>>
>>25322776
ITT: People who don't understand calories and conservation of energy. You gain weight from excess calories FULL STOP.

Actual reason: depression + access to high calorie foods. We live in an age where our food is highly energy-dense. The food is also cheap, easy to make, and widely available. There is no shortage of nutrients in the first world -- in fact, there is an overabundance.

Pair that with a derpessive lifestyle and "IDGAF anymore" attitude, and you have a recipe for overeating.

Question for all the "muh nutrients" people out there: historically, why have the poor and malnuorished been there n and emaciated? Why are the hungry in the third-world so skinny? Don't you think it's curious how, after the emergence of cheap, energy-dense food, the first world became fat?

Perhaps a few of you should stop pointing your fat fingers at everyone else and start weaning yourselves off onto a smallet diet.
>>
/fit/ guy here
poor people don't have the insight to eating healthy. since they're too stupid to get a job, they're also too stupid to know what's good for them. basically sub-par intelligence (thus why they're poor)
ME HUNGRY. ME EAT.
the dirt-cheap foods are high in calories and sodium, but low in the essential macro-nutrients

when i was a poor college kid (i chose to reject any financial support because i wanted to live from the bottom up), my main foods would be chicken, rice, fish, and eggs
i also owned a small indoor garden

fat people deserve to die
>>
>>25323313
>Why are the hungry in the third-world so skinny
starving skinny as fuck somalian children against the backdrop of drought is not representative for the "third world".
go anywhere in other poor parts of africa and you see fat women and muscular males, certainly not skinny.
>>
>>25323384
>representative of*
>>
>>25322776
Because there aren't really very many truly poor people in western society.

The poor in the developed western world live a life that is upper-middle-class by the standards of most people in this world.
>>
>>25323384
Plenty of children in North Korea starving to the bone. Not too many fat children there. Is it a coincidence that NK doesn't stock itself with calorie-dense foods from the outside world?
>>
>>25323465
>The poor in the developed western world live a life that is upper-middle-class by the standards of most people in this world.

lel this is somebody without knowledge and experience speaking.
I live in a fucking third world country right now and I come from a first world country.
>>
>>25322776
Look at the calories on a pack of ramen and you might gain some insight.
>>
>>25323544
There is no country like North Korea. I don't think you can really compare any country with North Korea. It's economically and politically unique in every respect.
>>
File: 20140719_ASP001_0.jpg (112 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
20140719_ASP001_0.jpg
112 KB, 595x335
>>25323545

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-17377895

Shut up retard
>>
>>25323639
> your argument doesn't count because it doesn't fit my personal agenda
>>
>>25323676
>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-17377895
Yeah I forgot India, the biggest shithole in the world. I'm mainly talking about Africa, because that's where I live right now. But even in India - I have travelled there - people have plenty of food. Not having food on the table is certainly not the norm, regardless of what ignorant patronising and sensation-seeking SJW journalists may say.
>>
>>25323702
What argument? Don't get passive aggressive dude. What I stated was a simple fact. North Korea has an unique economic and political structure.
>>
>>25322840
That makes no sense stupid wagecuck
>>
>>25323722
sensationalistic*, not sensation-seeking
they are two unrelated concepts.
sorry not a native english speaker.
>>
>>25323754
[citation needed] fag
>>
>>25323384
>>25323722
> India has 200 million people designated "food insecure"
> top hungriest countires all African

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_State_Hunger_Index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index

Dude, you are just wrong, stop arguing.
>>
>>25323973
I live in West Africa, Togo specifically. Statistics are purposely inflated to receive more money; this is an open secret around here. Local government leaders have a vested interest in exaggerating the situation in their regions. Westerners working in the field for NGOs do this as well, because it let them keep their job, which is very well paid (there is a whole economy based around this).
You have to go to those place and see with your own eyes to really understand what's going on. The problem with Africa, mostly West Africa, is corruption. Africans have even made parodies of mentioned issues: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=africa+ngo+parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLqyuxm96k
>>
File: 1422983052075.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1422983052075.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
because to cook you need a working oven/stove, cookware, dishes, time to cook the food and clean up, etc

what's easier, preparing a healthy meal of salmon and pasta or some shit, or stopping at mcdonalds on the way home from work?
>>
>>25324138
RARE FLAG

Are you the guy who posted your Nork stories on /pol/?
>>
>>25322776
>poor people are dumb
>fat people are dumb
>dumb people are poor and fat
>>
>>25324200
It's not what you eat though, it's how much.
>>
>>25324234
This is correct.

Oc
>>
>>25323285
This, regular people are stupid and mpulse driven.
>>
>>25324259
fast food is so calorie dense that you can eat a burger and fries, not even be filled up and just have eaten 1000 calories
>>
>>25322776
Aside from them never moving, because of not being employeed, and EBT, food is as cheap than any other bill in the month anyway, if you buy smart it could be the cheapest (aside from maybe toilet paper and such, and Internet bills can be pretty low). Plus, as a poor person with EBT, I go to churches for even more free food.
>>
>>25324138
> uses parody video as indisputable proof of African prosperity

You serious, guy?

Look, let's get some perspective here. The UN classifies India as 29th most undernourished country, with about 25% of people being undernourished. So 28 countries (mostly in Africa) are even more undernourished than India. USA and the developed Western countries have less than 5% (in fact, they aren't even listed)

> Africa is not that different from developed countries

I can only see this as a joke. Even if numbers are "fluffed" as you claim, there is an obvious difference between the developed and underdeveloped worlds, especially considering diet.

BTW, NK, which you claim is sooo different from everything else, is actually considered LESS malnourished than India and the average Africa country.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_malnutrition
>>
Most poor people are poor because they're stupid.

Most fat people are fat because they're stupid.

Naturally, there is a significant overlap in these two categories.
>>
>>25324538
That's a strange conclusion you come to. I didn't use those parody videos as a proof.
And I have never claimed that 'Africa' is prosperous.
The UN relies on data from other NGOs and data from local government leaders. These latter two have vested interests in depicting a very unfavourable picture of said regions. Government leaders, especially local ones (but also at the national level), are very corrupt.

Now the hunger situation in India is probably exaggerated as well. But of all countries in the world, excluding North Korea, India is probably the worst off. Little girls and boys prostituting themselves to put food on the table for their families is common. India is a depraved country. However, India has also a lot of wealth. But nowhere in the world are rich people as condescending, delusional (about their own country) and callous as those in India. In my experience, India and North Korea (although about the latter I have no first hand experience and I rely on various academic texts) and maybe South Africa (due to the extreme violence and aggression that is rife in that country) are the worst countries on the planet if you are part of the lower classes.
>>
>>25324753
forgot to specify 'local government leaders in sub-saharan africa'*
>>
>>25324538
>BTW, NK, which you claim is sooo different from everything else, is actually considered LESS malnourished than India and the average Africa country.

More than India I may believe but I sincerely don't know and cannot possibly know. More than the average African country, that's fucking impossible.
Come to Togo or Nigeria or Ghana, and you will see that pretty much all the men are muscular and fit (neither skinny nor fat; though when they they get older, they start to become skinnier, especially the males - not the females) and the women are chubby or downright fat (but never morbidly obese like you see in the USA or Mexico, both very much car-based cultures). If you really want to find plenty of emaciated people in Africa, go to Somalia or Ethopia during times of drought... and only in times of drought.
>>
>>25325143
You're not even reading my sources, they directly state Africa south of Sahara (as a whole) is more malnourished than NK.

I don't care about your anecdotal evidence, the research shows Africa is starving.

You offer no statistical data or research, yet you still offer your argument as if it has more weight and merit than UN studies. You have nothing more to say.
>>
>>25325407
>the "research" shows "Africa" is starving.
Africa is a big place you know. And research relies on data. And I believe there are solid reasons to believe much of the data is unreliable in the context of Sub-Saharan Africa (in particular West Africa).

>You offer no statistical data or research,
True and I have never even suggested that. I can only offer you my observations concerning how the NGOs and local government agencies work here.
>>
>>25324234
I literally keked so hard that I shot a load into my coffee
>>
>>25322776
Buy expensive healthy food that will expire in a week, or buy 10 bags of chips for a dollar. The sad truth is fatty food is ridiculously cheaper than healthy food.
>>
>>25325669
Are you even reading my posts? I guess I'll just repeat myself then:

>I don't care about your anecdotal evidence, the research shows Africa is starving.
>You offer no statistical data or research, yet you still offer your argument as if it has more weight and merit than UN studies. You have nothing more to say.
>>
>>25322776
need-driven consumer base

you have people working long hours, and people who are saving money for a better future. that means restaurants. meats. starches. sandwiches. french fries. chips. snacks. all of these things are high in carbohydrates, salts, saturated fats, sugar. they fill you up easy and keep you going. but when you're trying to get the same amount of vital nutrients you also have a little bit extra of those things. that accumulates.

then there's antibiotics, which when administered in subtherapeutic doses leads to gaining weight. essentially it creates a monoculture in your intestines, leading to less calories consumed by your gut flora, which means more consumed by you. this is usually empty calory shit in your large intestine.

then there's the fact that sugar activates dopamine in the brain, essentially acting as a high, a system of reward. once you're hooked on coca cola, a well cooked pasta with tomato sauce doesn't have the same impact.

and finally most jobs, there's psychological stress, there's taking care of problems, there's skill and fine manipulation, but there's not a whole lot of physical exercise.

it's almost as if you people never went to a fancy liberal school where health class taught you all these things because taking care of people is the right thing to do, or something.
>>
>>25322776
because they spend their money on cheap extremley unhealthy food and overeat thus they are poor also they spend their money on stupid shit.
>>
>>25322929
Are you from a universe where both those things can't be true at the same time?
>>
>>25323080

>gmos are actually BETTER for you guys!

nice try shill, fuck off.
>>
>>25325825
>heavily politicised and oversimplified (hooray for the democratisation of higher education) undergraduate courses have taught me how the world works and now I know all the answers

Yes this is a personal attack because this discussion is going nowhere. You keep uncritically and ignorantly basing your whole understanding of this multifaceted matter on UN "studies", which one could assume use unreliable data in the first place, certainly when dealing with regions that are poorly organised (in every respect), such as is the case for most of Africa.
I'm going to sleep because it's quite late.
>>
>>25322959
Do you really think poor people are going to look at raw potatoes and rice as cheap food or delve into deal detail and look up statistics on what is the most cost effective food is? Or do you think they are going to see everything in the produce ile is extremely expensive and goes bad in a week, while chips and soda are super cheap and it is easy to see they are cheaper.

Potatoes and rice are in the produce ile, poor people avoid that place like the plague since food that won't last is a luxury.
>>
>>25326035
> UN research
> some Nigerian prince

Hmm, I wonder who I should trust?

All jokes aside anon, the reason I make personal attacks is because your arguments are objectively shit.

Your argument is "ignore the statistics and just take what I say is fact. This is why there are still witch doctors in Togo.
>>
>>25322776
The industrialization of agriculture makes it easy and cheap to mass produce food which is high in calories, affordable, and doesn't taste like garbage. The industrialization of the work place means that the majority of low-skill/entry-level labor in industrialized countries involves sitting or standing in place for long periods of time.

That's pretty much it.
>>
>>25326214
Sorry maybe i'm too tired to grasp the joke but are you insinuating i'm a nigerian prince?
i'm fine and perhaps even proud of being of european descent.
my argument only is: give due weight to a specific statistic and study according to its reliability

ADIEUUUUUU
>>
>>25326214
last thing, about witch doctors in Togo

placebo effect can be very effective, don't underestimate it. consider it the sub-saharan african version of cbt (placebo is sometimes even more effective than cbt lol)
>>
File: 1402503635176.png (47 KB, 464x128) Image search: [Google]
1402503635176.png
47 KB, 464x128
>>25322840
>eating more of something takes less time than eating less of something
>>25322860
>eating more of something is cheaper than eating less of something
>>
File: over-9000kcal.jpg (98 KB, 496x700) Image search: [Google]
over-9000kcal.jpg
98 KB, 496x700
>>25323235
>calorie dense food is vastly cheaper
Yeah, but that fucking rice & flour, not oreos.

Also, 2000kcal of FOOD is cheaper than 3000kcal of FOOD

You aren't fat because you eat "bad food" you're fat because you eat TOO MUCH food
>>
>>25323056
I can cut up 2 apples, a cucumber, and a few carrots and get very full cheaply. I don't even have to cut them.

I'm so tired of hearing that excuse. "It takes so long to prepare healthy food!" It really doesn't. A salad goes together very quickly. Random veggies that you just eat go together very quickly. Fruit is something you peel (or don't) and eat.

A chicken breast doesn't take long to make in a skillet. Shrimp takes only a few minutes.

Also, everything I've talked about can be prepared with a set of tongs, a pan, and a knife. Cutting board, if you're fancy and a plate to cut on if you're not.

I am also not attacking you, just the sad idea behind what you said.
>>
File: 1424629900614.jpg (138 KB, 970x582) Image search: [Google]
1424629900614.jpg
138 KB, 970x582
>>25326040
>ile
>rice in the produce section
>rice spoils rapidly
>>
>>25323018
>falling for the organic jew

You buzzwordy types are hilarious.
>>
>>25327920
>2 apples, a cucumber, and a few carrots and
>get very full

Of flatlence maybe
>>
>>25324295
>burger and fries
>1000 calories
>not filled up

That's your problem right there
>>
>>25328116
Sure, I fart often but they don't stink because 90% of my diet is veggies. I also poop like a well maintained machine. Mighty poops, formed well and easy on my anus. Out like a whisper and with barely any scent.

People aim for poop like mine.
>>
>>25326040
It's spelled "aisle" brother
>>
>>25328168

Point was your diet was sugary and lowcal, lowfat with like no animal protein or fats.
>>
>>25322776
Cheap food is less healthy and more fattening.
>>
>>25328230
A sampling of a meal that I eat isn't a very good view into my whole diet. I eat a lot of greens, broccoli, kale, carrots, parsnips, various squash bitches, beets and so on. Yogurt a few times a week.

The other part of my diet is chicken a couple times a week, a few shrimps sometimes, nuts, and beans.

I mean, I try to keep everything balanced and I take B12.
>>
>>25328311
>various squash bitches
>bitches

wut?

Also, you don't eat any grains?
>>
>>25329701
I just threw that in there to make my post less boring.

And no, I don't generally eat grains.
>>
>>25329701
P.S.: No gains with grains.

It's probably not true, I just wanted to say that.
>>
Low income and being on food stamps goes hand-in-hand with being misinformed about diet and having access to only shit-tier food.

They're not actually starving peasants. They're just not in good shape because they eat cheap, processed garbage that's affordable.
>>
Are you mentally retarded?

>buy a lot of something
>dont have much money leftover

it's not hard to figure out
>>
>>25322776
bad food is especially cheap.
a lot of people in poverty live in what's called "food deserts", areas where fresh produce and quality meat are in low supply.
they're fucked and all we can do is try and give to agencies that are trying to combat these problems.
>>
>>25330365
>>25330385

There's books out by more than a couple of authours that say grains are absolutely horrible for you. Wheat, rice, corn and perhaps even oats. I think it has to do with them turning into sugar almost instantly in your mouth when you chew them. Root veggies and greens are nowhere near as bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Damage-Rethinking-High-Starch-Diet/dp/1893831051

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Grains-Gluten-Cereal-Hazardous/dp/1583331298/ref=pd_sim_14_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51ibVf6TukL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=1X1CXWXSPC0P2HYN18R2
>>
Rice
Beans
Semen

It's all you fucking need
>>
>>25322840
Exactly. When I spent my life working nightshift in a warehouse, the only thing I had was the microwaveable cheeseburger (because time to heat up the item counted as my break too), and whatever reduced food I could find in the supermarket that's on the way to work, or crisps.

I'm into eating somewhat healthily, but during those days it was near impossible. You had to have quick, cheap and warm food, and even despite the constant physical labour, I still got a belly within a fortnight.
>>
File: 1451281646138.jpg (44 KB, 453x592) Image search: [Google]
1451281646138.jpg
44 KB, 453x592
>>25331376

>not packing apples and cold sammiches
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.