[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here plays an instrument? What is it and was it worth the effort?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
File: 1439063030934.png (129 KB, 395x386) Image search: [Google]
1439063030934.png
129 KB, 395x386
Who here plays an instrument?
What is it and was it worth the effort?
>>
File: jazz.jpg (68 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
68 KB, 500x672
Saxophone and guitar
It's pretty worth it
>>
As a child I always wanted to learn piano but mum did not let me, erry time she said that guitar is what boy should learn
>>
No I spent years learning 2 instruments and it felt like a shit chore the whole time and I only learned how to play other people's shit

Started producing and actually make my own shit now and it doesn't feel like an ungodly chore anymore and I can do it anywhere from my laptop
>>
I play drums. I'm in a band. It's pretty fun.
>>
Play piano and sing because I like doing it
>>
>>25320392
I felt the same thing until I started saying fuck it all and improvised songs id hear with whatever poped into my mind.
Been having a blast playing this way and I dont even care if it sounds shit.
>>
Bass and drums.
With the all information available on the internet it's not hard to learn yourself and it's pretty satisfying
>>
Drums

Meh, it didn't take much effort, seriously the drums have got to be one of the easiest instruments to learn
It's worth it though, it gives many hours of fun

I wanna learn something like the Sax or the Guitar though, but I'm shit at everything aside from the Drums
>>
Whats your favourite song to play r9k?
>>
been playing guitar for like 3 years....
Havent told anyone so no one knows...im pretty good too...
>>
>>25320560
Improvisation is the only answer
>>
File: 1451178487241.jpg (25 KB, 665x385) Image search: [Google]
1451178487241.jpg
25 KB, 665x385
Guitar.

Absolutely fucking not. Wasted thousands of hours on this bullshit and I'm not even that good. I have no intention of joining a band and am horribly at getting along with people, and I could never get on stage and play in front of other people without having a heart attack. I know all the modes to all the scales that aren't exotic oriental scale. Except melodic minor, because I'm too lazy.

Anyways, I'm the quintessential bedroom shredder and my favorite guitarist is Allan Holdsworth. I should have learned to draw or tapdance or something, not this fucking bullshit.
>>
>>25320564
Even better. Usually other people just want to hear you play something they like/know and its no fun that way.
>>
I play the accordion. Yes, it's worth it. It's a great way to exorcize your personal demons.
>>
>>25320560
Bass on Soul to Squeeze probably
>>
Guitar

It's my only conversation starter with the wymyn
>>
>>25320632
melodic minor = raised 6 and 7, normal going down the scale
also, you're stupid for learning if you didn't really want to
>>
I've been playing bass for a year now. It's fun and I like it but I suck, and I have no idea of the level I should be at.
>>
>>25320560
My dad always was into bands with cult followings, so I love to play the dead (brown eyed woman) and Pearl Jam ( Yellow Ledbetter and Alive)
>>
Piano, guitar, drums

Learning music is the most wonderful and rewarding experience, it's probably one of the best things I ever did
>>
>>25320319
guitar. its worth it anon.
>>
>>25320632
Yeah I'm the producing guy I forgot that part

Guitar is like 700 amp is 150 for a basic one acoustic guitar is another 300 drums were like 500 cymbals are like 300 cymbal stands and pedals are another 300 sticks picks strings and all that shit is another 50-100. Literally thousands of dollars for entry level shit. I can produce lag free with a $200 laptop.
>>
Bass guitar and cello, yes worth it.
>>
>>25320319
I used the play the guitar, piano, violin and then flute as a kid up until my mid-teens. Like another anon pointed out it was a shit chore, so I didn't play anything for over a decade and lost all my skills and knowledge. Can't even read sheet music anymore.

I still loved listening to music and daydreamed about being a rockstar but I never followed through. I finally bought a keyboard a few months ago, as well as FL Studio, and now am learning all over again.

It feels good. Do it for yourself, as long as you don't try and do it to impress girls or anything, it's a challenging but also relaxing experience. Your progress is your own and tangible.
>>
Bass, guitar, and drums.Yes, playing with a band was a good outlet and distraction.
>>
2 violin lessons until I got taken the piss of from my dad and sister. Dropped after that, couldn't afford it anyway tb.h fa.m.
>>
Drums.

It's worth it for me, it's fun and keeps me sane.
I don't play in a band but I do jam with friends.
I'd say if you have the time and money it's all good but if you have to force yourself to do it, then nah.
>>
>>25320535
Depends what you learn on drums, basic rock beats and fills are easy, but try experimental, advanced jazz or progressive music with odd measures and it gets pretty ugly pretty fast.
>>
>>25320319
guitar
Want to learn drums but dont want to spend the Sheikels

It is worth it if you have free time but only if you play with others IMHO
>>
>>25320808
I second this, my first drum set was mostly used stuff and I paid 250 for a used Tama set, 300 for Paiste cymbals, 200 for hardware, 120 for a DW8002 pedal, 200 throne and heads and sticks and stuff.
And if you want to record then good cheap mics are 40 bucks a pop, XLR cable will break you bank, a basic good mixer is 300, computer software a 100, external effect units are 100-300 a piece, and worst is speakers and amps, a good pair of actives is around a grand and you still need cables and stands. Literally building a small entry level studio will set you back thousands of dollars, and now if you want to play, lessons are anywhere from 10-30 bucks an hour.
>>
>>25321345
buy a cheap electric set, an entry level model from Millenium, Yamaha or Roland is about 300.
>>
File: pepe_nirvana.jpg (173 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pepe_nirvana.jpg
173 KB, 500x500
>my parents set me up for lessons in acoustic guitar at the age of 9
>hated it after a few years because I was terrible at it, but didn't quit by myself because I was too autistic to stand up for myself
>took lessons over the time of 6 years, still not good at it, new teacher asked if I had a stiff joint in my thumb. I gave up, said I would never ever touch a guitar again
>a few years later I met a qt who played e-guitar in a coverband, she was awesome at it
>bought myself an electric guitar and began practicing on my own
>again I was terrible, but I enjoyed it, because I had a crush on the qt
>qt left the country to work overseas
>instant loss of motivation, never touched an instrument since she went away
>>
I played cello for years but never took it seriously and eventually quit.

One of my biggest regrets.
>>
>>25320560
BWV 779/578
>>
>>25320632
>draw
Definitely not worth it unless you do graffiti or other street art. People won't come into your room and say "ooh Anon, that painting is sooo good!"
But keep up with practicing guitar, it's very good for attracting qt's.
>>
I play snare drum for a drumline, really fun and worth the effort. Makes me feel like I belong and my fellow drummers are pretty fun to hang out with.
>>
>>25322038
Which one? Original comment, by the way.
>>
>>25320560
Greensleeves.
>>
>>25320560
On drums: To those who Fight Further by the Black Mages. Boss battle music from FF7, and the most fun song to play ever
>>
>>25320535
>easiest instrument to learn

shit drummer detected
>>
Violin and some assorted medieval and folk instruments from my country and near it. I really enjoy it so I'd say it's worth it, but I wish I was less shy and had someone to jam with, especially someone into trad folk music like I am but I'd probably enjoy playing whatever too because I like a lot of music. Was it worth the effort? Learning all of I have has been the most satisfying thing in my life, I'm still learning, but only been for a couple years so I'd say I'm intermediate and not an expert yet. Probably never would have started if I knew how difficult bowed string instruments are and how much time it takes though, glad I didn't
>>
>>25322281
This, drums are incredibly hard to play well
>>
I play guitar, sing, and know my way around a couple DAWs pretty well.

I like writing music more than playing it, and this way I can do it all myself.
>>
File: Untitled.png (477 KB, 740x712) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
477 KB, 740x712
>>25320699
I know melodic minor, I just don't know the modes like the back of my hand so I don't "know" melodic minor.

>>25320808
my first guitar was $60, a rip off because it was a hunk of fucking shit, and my first amp was $30, also a tiny hunk of fucking shit. Pic related, I don't even use amps anymore. Why use an amp when you can use thousands of amps and 64 delay pedals at one time produced lag free with a $200 laptop?

>>25321993
If I had learned to draw I could at least make a manga or draw OC of my wife or make memes.
>>
I play guitar, drums, piano, sing, anything I feel like playing

It's gotten me girls which is enough for some but it's left me with the regret of never being able to fulfill my dreams
>>
File: 1443479933697.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1443479933697.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>25322416
>>25322335
>>25320441
If you sing you're either a woman or a normie. REGARDLESS... no one gives a FUCK.
>>
>>25320319
I play the ukulele, I've been learning it since April, I definitely enjoy it and I think it's worth it.

I played Greensleeves on Christmas and recorded it.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0K5tVZTxFTC
>>
>pretty bad life growing up
>float through life like a turd
>finally, get harmonica then a guitar
>something changes, it makes me feel a certain way, all I can do is play all day, I get engrossed by it, I can't stop
>by 8 months in I'm street performing every day and people tell me I'm really good and I even see mouths go agape sometimes

>suddenly tendonitis
>cant play
>depression creeping back in again

Seriously, that thing is the reason I stopped being suicidal, it gave me a purpose, a reason to live, I even stopped going to /r9k/. If I ever felt bored or sad I could strum and strum and sing and I'd get zoned in and I could cure myself. Now when I play it hurts. I just hope it's not permanent. With the guitar I feel special but without it I'm just another boring weeb

Here's a song I recorded, it was a long time ago though https://clyp.it/snk3x5ca
>>
>>25322458
>>>/exitbag/

That's where you're gonna end up anyways
>>
>>25322554
what does that even mean you retarded fucking faggot. is that really the best you got? you're fucking pathetic normie.
>>
>>25322540
>got good fast
>now can't play at all
>humiliated and in pain when trying to do fun activities

Next time don't try to be a normie... Kid
>>
>>25322589
>what does it even mean
>calls me a NORMIE

How's winter break champ?
>>
>>25322663
I think you have to be autistic to play as much as I did robofren
>>
>>25322716
How many hours a day?
>>
File: 1447863842264.jpg (113 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1447863842264.jpg
113 KB, 500x667
>>25322755
I never kept track, but if I could I'd do 9 or 10; probably about 5->8 normally might have pulled 12 a few times

I think, before the injury, I didn't play through a whole day twice or thrice
>>
>>25322841
Damn, that is a lot, not even music majors do that much.
>>
Your mom plays an instrument. Skin flute.
>>
>>25322858
>>25322841

that's why the idiot got tendonitis
>>
>>25322858
I really miss it, I don't have anything to do right now it's terrible

>>25322878
meat whistle

>>25322884
Haha, I'm an "idiot" okay
Post something you've made, have you made anything? You have right? You're not talentless? Go on :^)
>>
>>25322966
He called you an idiot for abuse your muscles by using them too much, just like /fit/ would call me an idiot if I did heavy deadlifts every day for a month and hurt my back.
>>
>>25322319
Harder than playing any other instruments well?
>>
I've been playing bass guitar for ten years. I'm actually getting pretty bored of it. Starting drumming lessons next month !
>>
tfw you will never be bill bruford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLzJv0qkzo
>>
>>25323594
Yeah, I fucked up :(

I never even did warm-ups, but when its good again I'll respect my body
>>
File: photo.jpg (30 KB, 511x512) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
30 KB, 511x512
Guitar.
Used to play it a lot back when I was in high school, just recently got an amp for my electric guitar and started practicing again.
>>
Play/played euphonium, trombone, trumpet, tuba, various percussion instruments (including piano I guess), and picking up a bit of guitar now

And honestly it was. Playing music is a great stress reliever for me. Wanted to originally pursue music in college since I excelled at that stuff at an early age, but ended up going the business route due to parental obligations
>>
I play bass. Sometimes I record covers of songs I like on youtube. If you could give me some views it would be a welcome change :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3G9g9GR5DY
>>
>>25320319
Violin.
Lately I've been too depressed to play. It makes me feel so much better once I get started, but finding the motivation to start seems to be impossible. It's been a week since I last played. Does anyone have any advice for playing more regularly?
>>
File: 1451267940691.png (822 KB, 438x480) Image search: [Google]
1451267940691.png
822 KB, 438x480
Where are my trombone bros at?

I've been playing since I was 12. It's a great way to force yourself to socialize 2bh. I play in a couple different jazz groups around the holiday time.

it's definitely worth it
>>
>>25320417
he said a musical instrument bro

*badum tis
>>
>>25324546
What kinda stuff do you play?
>>
>>25324351
Show tits please I'm lonely
>>
I play most brass instruments, bass, and ukulele.

Here's something I did recently. I like playing vidya music.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JQTJaHkTqY
>>
>>25320665
>I play the accordion.
How did you start? Did you just order an accordion and start learning a song?

I'm considering whether or not I want to buy a Bayan.
>>
>>25320319
I bought a bugle at a thrift store can't really play it though.
>>
guitar faggot here
It's nice to play songs now and then.

Apparently it gets chicks but I don't play in public. I don't want to be that kid.
>>
>>25324664
We played a lot of Xmas music for one holiday concert.

other than that, we play a lot of jazz standards
last concert we played
>Coconut Champagne
>sidewinder
>give it all you got

and a bunch of big band stuff i can't remember
>>
File: 1431500737851.jpg (82 KB, 850x602) Image search: [Google]
1431500737851.jpg
82 KB, 850x602
>>25320319
Spanish guitar.

It's fun.

I never played it in public, and i only play weeb music on it. Don't know about the "guitar gets you laid" thing.
>>
>>25324889
shiiiiieeet what songs do you play? I've been trying to find more weeb music to learn
>>
>>25324912
Touhou.

Check for dovecrow2525 and https://www.youtube.com/user/banbi03050305 for tabs.
>>
>>25324833
Nice
I'm in one too so I thought I knew you
>>
File: 0987654.gif (198 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
0987654.gif
198 KB, 275x200
>>25324983
thanks m8, this should keep me occupied when I get over my ghibli song binge
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.