[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know if I've ever been let down more by a star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: gaylo.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gaylo.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
I don't know if I've ever been let down more by a star wars character.

How did you like the movie, fellow droids?
>>
>>25318387
>people actually wanted cool dark Sith Lord #5637

Kylo was the best part of the movie and you're a pleb.
>>
I thought he was pretty cool until he took off his helmet and looked, and acted, like a little emo bitch.

That and his random tantrums, what the fuck?
>>
>>25318521
I didn't want sith lord because he's not a sith lord. I just didn't want the reveal to be a lackluster crybaby
>>
>>25318563
yeah, just seemed to attack inanimate objects when he got angry. But i guess that was part of his character...

Maybe I just need to deal with it because this was how it was supposed to be
>>
>>25318563
>>25318625
that's literally the point you nerds
>>
>>25318625
He is actually pretty complex and unique. Though he came off as a crybaby it actually made him pretty fucking interesting.
>>
I saw the movie today and i like him.
Also to people who say hes ugly:
> strong jawline
> prominent cheekbones
> powerful nose
> great hair
The man is clearly from good stock, and the people who say he is ugly are just weak jawed fags descended from peasents
>>
>>25318625
He literally throws temper tantrums where he randomly swings his lightsaber at walls, he's established as a crybaby in some of his first scenes.
>>
>>25318639
While having big idolized caracthers as Darth Vader and such there will be followers who carry a lot of regret for their deeds, thus they do so they also carry hatred towards those they in heart would follow. This can be abused by those who own great power; recruiting these followers might seem simple though they also often do not have the power that is required for a task such as fighting the "rebels". Whilst following the new "evil" guy through the eye of unknown oblivion we also encounter how much he's fighting to sustain such hatred even though he knows how wrongly his actions are. This makes him the most fucking complex caracther of the latest series. I have no idea why there is so much hate towards their own kind of /r9k/ but I hope you all die and I'm drunk
>>
>>25318387
7/10
It was just good. There were too many things that held it back from being just like the first star wars
>>
>>25318645
this.
I can also see 'Mary Sue' Rey getting her ass kicked in VIII, possibly by Kylo Ren
>>
>>25319647
Tbf they arent really going for that, this one was just a transition period between old and new, they are trying to make another star wars for a new generation
>>
>>25318387
Cool battle scenes. But the interior of the starkiller was so bland and unimaginative, and the whole film WAS JUST A REHASH OF EPISODE 4

Also, Rey was just too perfect, a total "Mary Sue" as others have said. Had to google that term but it applies perfectly to her.
>>
>>25319686
Anon, kids and adults loved and enjoyed the first trilogy.
If that can work for that trilogy, it can work for this trilogy
>>
File: 1447607320137.jpg (131 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1447607320137.jpg
131 KB, 960x960
What the fuck is wrong with you?

He was the most compelling character in that entire fucking movie.
>>
The janitor stormtrooper was the best character to be quite honest.
>>
>>25319707
To be fair, even starwars vidya (kotor) involve planet destroying machines in one way or another.
>>
>>25319734
Yeh but that was decades ago now, and this is probably aimed at kids born in the 2000's
>>
>>25319768
It wasn't just that the plot was identical, even the scenes and sequence of scenes was identical. The droids with vital data lost on a desert planet. Reaching the rebel base at the end, Leia and the officers in the ops room overseeing the attack, the countdown until the deathstarkiller could fire on them....
>>
The point is that we're supposed to grow with him. By the end of the new trilogy, he's probably gonna be a fucking badass.

I quite like it. Rather than having this established master like Vader or the Emperor, we get to see a rookie as he works to discover his massive potential.

Really enjoyed the film desu.
>>
>>25319739
As much as I enjoyed Ren, we all know the best character was Finn.
>>
>>25319942
Finn was such an obvious panhandling meant to appease feminists, I'm sorry.

I felt awkward that entire film having to watch him get cucked in every fucking scene by Mary Sue Rey.

That being said, he was my second favorite character. Apart from that glaring error, I thought he was actually a fantastic concept for a character.
>>
>>25318387
Rey's Mary Sue character development and broken force powers has provided new, unexpected fuel for my gentle femdom fantasies, T B H F A M.

>TFW you will never have a 9000 power level jedi GF to force choke you while whispering sweet nothings about the technical specs of YT-1300 Corellian light freighters
>>
>>25318387
If you've heard the rumor that Ben is doing anything and everything he can to get closer to Snoke and kill him, then he's a pretty cool character, and some of his actions make a lot more sense.
>>
Kylo Ren was alright. I think he's really going to shine in the next couple of movies. Captain Phasma was pretty shit though. Literally just a female villain shoehorned in for the sake of progressiveness. She wasn't important at all. She couldn't prevent Finn from escaping the First Order, and then got her ass kicked in Starkiller Base. Everyone just shat their pants over Star Wars' "first" female villain, forgetting that the Expanded Universe is a thing.
>>
File: man.jpg (64 KB, 380x443) Image search: [Google]
man.jpg
64 KB, 380x443
>>25319768
In KOTOR, I don't remember dialogue like the following:
>"Remember the Death Star? Well this is like the Death Star but wayy bigger!"
>"Hurrr how do we kill it?"
>"It must have a thermal oscillator hurr"
>"Yeah but it has shields durrr"
>"Ok so we disable the shields, hit the thermal oscillator, and the whole thing will blow up."
It was at this point that I lost all interest.
>>
>>25321505
I'm willing to buy that. I can see him being the Snape of the new Star Wars trilogy. Hell, he even looks like a young Snape.
>>
>>25321643

btw. what happened with phamsa? it was never shwon
>>
>>25321819
This. I was so disappointed to see the whole "singular weakpoint" shit being used again. Starkiller Base could've been much cooler but instead they just pandered to nostalgia. It was nothing more than shock value.
>>
>>25321819
Yeah, but I liked that their plan would have failed miserably if they didn't have people on the ground, which wasn't even part of the plan to begin with.
>>
Kylo is a robot
>>
>>25318521

This.

Kylo has the most emotional depth of any character in star wars.

I'm surprised they went for this path considering their main goal should be selling merchandise and making an infallible cool character with no depth is the best way to do this.
>>
>>25320015
It's only 'obvious' when you're already looking for an agenda when you watch the movie.
I don't know why people keep saying this sort of thing. They're literally just 2 characters who happen to be a woman and a black guy, there's nothing to suggest they're pandering to SJWs or whatever. And I usually subscribe to that kind of thing.

>>25321643
>>for the sake of progressiveness
>never shown to be blatantly superior to male characters
>the character's gender is never rubbed in the viewer's face, or pointed out, or really acknowledged in any way
Why does this even matter
Also she'll definitely be in the next ones, otherwise it was a completely pointless character.

>>25319707
I think they might be deliberately going for the Episode 4 similarities to draw people in with 'more of the same Star Wars', since it's the start of a new trilogy and people are sceptical. And then they'll do something completely different with the next 2 films, now that people are generally happy with this one.
That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
>>
File: 1450232023253.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1450232023253.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
Overall, I really liked it. I thought it was a solid action/adventure film that could stand on its own without the other movies. It goes without saying that this movie blew the prequels out of the water, no problem.I'm excited for the next film.

That being said, the entirety of its plot was recycled from A New Hope and the EU stories. Definitely felt like a cheap copout when they could've literally done anything else. They blew up a fucking Death Star for the third time. That felt like a kick to the balls. And killing Han Solo was fucking retarded not because he's Han Solo, but because killing him in the first part of a trilogy throws so many potential plot lines out the fucking window. I understand that he's an older character and Harrison Ford is like 70 at this point, but his character could've been used as a starting point for so much more than what they used him for.
>>
>>25318387

Why Luke just left the galaxy in the hand of siths?
>>
>Rey can pilot the falcon for the first time no problem
>Rey can do Jedi mind tricks without knowing what they are
>Rey can beat a trained Jedi the first time she ever holds a lightsaber
>DONT HOLD MY HAND

She probably did get some training as a child but it's all still so much bullshit. She isn't a character just a plot device. Everyone will still by into the hype machine because of Marketing and production values. Honestly it would be a good movie if it wasn't for Rey.
>>
>>25322071
I feel ya on the Han Solo thing. There could have been a great plotline involving Ren's wavering commitment to his family versus the dark side and have them play with moral grey areas (>muh GoT!) or some shit. But no, let's copy Obi-Wan from ANU!
>>
>>25322071
I just hope that by killing Han they were saying symbolically that they're going to to on to more unique plots instead of rehashing the original trilogy.
>>
>>25321940
The President of Lucasfilm said they had big plans for Captain Phasma, so I guess she didn't die out. You're right though, they never show what happens to her after Solo and Chewie talk about "throwing her down the garbage chute".
>>25322041
Eh suppose not. Still, when you consider that a male character was going to be cast as Phasma and then they cast a female instead to appease the internet backlash over the "lack of female characters". Gwendoline Christie herself shills the same shit
>>
>>25322125
Rey's abilities actually make sense, she's got the force thing going.
What I didn't like was Fin's ability. No force, no training, and he held his own against a trained Sith lord with a light saber he'd never held before? What BS that was.
>>
Legit question.

How long will it take for it to be okay for women and black people to have starring/significant roles in a film without people screaming SJW?
>>
>>25321819
>>25321946
That whole bit didn't have much buildup. It seemed like they arrived at the rebel base, started planning their attack, and then immediately left for the attack.
And then when they were on the ground on the planet, there was quite a while where there was no indication of how the battle outside was going. I guess there weren't really any main characters there, and nothing much was changing, but it felt a little disconnected.

Also the deaths of billions of people when those planets were destroyed wasn't emphasised much. The whole 'New Republic' thing was very vague actually. Hopefully that will be expanded on in the next films.
>>
>>25322225
As long as it takes for people to stop shitting their pants over it and being like "oh just look how progressive this is!".
>>
>>25322131
And there's another copied element from the OT.
This is clearly a film directed by and for fans of the movies, which I think was detrimental in many ways, as evidenced by the similar plot lines.

And real talk?
There's marketing campaigns, and then there's Star Wars marketing campaigns. I've seen nothing but fucking Star Wars ads for the past two months.
>>
>>25322286
It's ridiculous how star wars is in other completely unrelated commercials too.
>>
>>25322071

Harrison ford mentioned in interviews that he thought Han Solo should have died in the original trilogy to give the other heroes a feeling of sacrifice. He is the perfect character for something like that, so it sort of makes sense he'd die in this trilogy. Honestly Ford is probably just tired of doing star wars movies at this point.

Although you are right about closing off certain plot lines. It feels like the entire point of the introduction of the new gangsters on the freighter scene was to setup a Han storyline in a sequel, but now that he's dead those characters seem kinda pointless now.
>>
>>25322261
I initially thought it was Coruscant that was destroyed, but apparently it wasn't.
>>
He sounds like little nicky when his helmet is off

if the tantrums didn't make it hard to take him seriously, that did it for me the entire movie.
>>
>>25318563
What is the entire point of being sith for $500
>>
>>25322071
I honestly felt like they should've killed Leia instead.

When she first brings Kylo up to Han, he seems completely resigned to the fact that he's gone to the dark side. Then after about a 30 second conversation he's willing to risk his life to bring him back?

Nah, considering his character, I feel like it would've made more sense for him to ignore Leia and treat Kylo as an enemy. Which leads Leia to come and stop them fighting and try to reason with Kylo. Kylo kills her and Han vows for revenge.

Makes so much more sense.
>>
File: balls.jpg (61 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
balls.jpg
61 KB, 320x304
>>25322225
That's an interesting question, anon.

>>25322205
>no training
That stormtrooper he was fighting was using an electric tonfa thing, so it's not unreasonable for him to have had some melee weapon training.

>trained Sith lord
IIRC, he hadn't even BEGUN his training, and wasn't even a Sith in the film.

>light saber he'd never held before
But he had: that stormtrooper scene
>>
>>25322279
But sometimes it's not even intentional.

Finn's race isn't even brought up once throughout the film yet people seem to think he's supposed to be some secret SJW Jewish plan.
>>
>>25322332
I'm not mad that he died, I'm mad that he died this early in the trilogy. At least save that for the second film so we have a revenge scene in the third.
>>
>>25322340
I vaguely remember reading something about it being a new capital planet they had picked, with the new Senate on.

>>25322373
>Then after about a 30 second conversation he's willing to risk his life to bring him back?
To be fair he does hesitate a bit before calling out to him on that bridge, so it's not like "Oh there he is, I'll go and say hi" straight away.
>>
>>25322454
So when do we think Chewie dies then?
Suicide mission in the second movie?
>>
>>25322472
Yeah but the conversation with Leia.

>Han, go and talk to Ben
>No he's a Sith now Leia there's no hope there's too much Anakin in him don't you understand the Force
>B-but you're his dad
>Okay sure brb
>>
Not one, not two, but three
THREE
H
R
E
E
>THREE
Death Stars

There's laziness and then there's stupidity. This shit is inexcusable.

Where does the First Order even go from here? They're already a small faction and their biggest weapon just got fucked. Are they going to build another one? AGAIN?
>>
>>25322373
I like this idea, it makes more sense for both of their characters. All Leia did was sit around that base and diddle herself (like in A New Hope??). This would've been more representative of her character. She's a woman of action, and instead all we see is her talking to other people. I have a feeling Abrams is trying to phase out the original cast as a way of signaling the start of a new era, but these characters are pretty significant in the Star Wars ethos.
>>
>>25318983
It's the negro lips
>>
>>25322522
yes, in the 3rd installment where they are defeated.
>>
File: 1446656664747.png (200 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1446656664747.png
200 KB, 200x200
>>25322522
HOW THE FUCK DID THEY BUILD ANOTHER IN THE FIRST PLACE
ITS FUCKING BIGGER THAN THE DEATH STAR
ITS A FUCKING PLANET FOR FUCKS SAKE
HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN
WHEN AND HOW DID THIS HAPPEN
THE FUNDS TO BUILD THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING TO STOP THE REBELS
NAH WE WILL BUILD SOMETHING THAT HAS DESIGN FLAWS LIKE THE FIRST FUCKING TWO HURR DURR FUCK
As you can see this made me pretty pissed at this plot point.
>>
>>25322454

Oh I agree completely. That's kinda why I mentioned maybe Ford was getting tired of Star Wars. Maybe he wanted out ASAP.
>>
>>25318983
>from good stock
This is such a weird phrase.
>>
>>25322440
I think that particular thing is just a meme. Considering there are hundreds of different species present in the Star Wars canon, and amongst the humans there are plenty of non-whites, I don't think there was an intentional reason for casting Boyega as Finn. If I'm honest though I kind've wished he'd kept his Attack the Block black Londoner accent; would've made his scenes much more entertaining.
>>
>>25322626

That's not even mentioning that the New Republic either let it happen or miraculously didn't know about it. How the flying fuck do you NOT notice your sworn enemies building a FUCKING PLANET, after they've already shown the capbility of building TWO.

Yes I fucking mad. I wanted a new story not A New Hope 2.0.
>>
>>25322630
It's his first SW film in 30(?) years and he's already tired? Lame.
>>
File: download_20151228_205848.jpg (41 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
download_20151228_205848.jpg
41 KB, 500x545
>>25319707
Oh my what a unique observation
>>
>>25320015
I actually find it kinda neat that he doesn't have to be typical male protagonist, but that might be my femdom fetish talking
>>
>>25318625
>>25319051
i think he's trying to subvert his rage so he doesn't hurt those around him. he seems to value life more than vader. at least the lives of the first order.
>>
>>25322568
U are a negro
>>25322656
It means he has noble or aristocratic heritage
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.