[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you are your brain's current configuration >every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: sb.png (215 KB, 585x439) Image search: [Google]
sb.png
215 KB, 585x439
>you are your brain's current configuration
>every night, your brain heavily rewires itself
>that means the You of Now will die tonight
>someone with your memories will wake up tomorrow

I've been awake for 10 hours now. I've only got 6-8 hours left.
How much time do you have robots? Have you been using it wisely?
>>
File: 29S2BzRSdlo.jpg (148 KB, 604x1000) Image search: [Google]
29S2BzRSdlo.jpg
148 KB, 604x1000
>still thinking there's a 'you'

Ego problem much?
>>
File: patrick red eyes.jpg (27 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
patrick red eyes.jpg
27 KB, 576x384
>>25312146

fucking hell I won't get any sleep now spongebob. if I go to sleep I'll be possessed and forget this thread
>>
>>25312146
>this whole post

Nigga what the fuck you been smokin on for real tho
>>
File: 1448201946528.jpg (487 KB, 940x2296) Image search: [Google]
1448201946528.jpg
487 KB, 940x2296
>>25312146
>you
>not realizing there is no "you"
>not realizing it is just an illusion
Top kek to be honest family.
>>
File: 1435922478345.jpg (41 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
1435922478345.jpg
41 KB, 415x367
>Deja vu is your myriad of past selves trying to tell you you've experienced this all before
>>
>>25312146
>you are your brain's current configuration

Nope.
>>
File: 1391139926539.jpg (96 KB, 396x388) Image search: [Google]
1391139926539.jpg
96 KB, 396x388
>>25312146
>implying all of this isn't suspended animation
when i kill myself all of you will be gone
>>
File: squid.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
squid.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>your cells are replaced every 7 years
>you've killed and replaced the 7, 14, and 21 year old versions of you
>you think you've won but you're slowly being replaced by the next version of you
>>
>>25312198
dejavu is when theres a delay in processing information from one hemisphere to the other. Like an echo. Its essentially a micro-seizure.
>>
>>25312210
then what are you anon? magic?
>>
>>25312347
Well I learned something today. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>25312395
Something other than an electrical, chemical or mechanical process. Should be obvious if you compare the properties of a piece of machinery with the properties of your mind.
>>
>>25312652
>our technology doesn't match us yet
>that means we're something special

bad logic anon.
Our technology is going to surpass in a couple decades. Will sentient AI be magic?
>>
File: hellblazer-07-p12-13.jpg (1 MB, 1936x1517) Image search: [Google]
hellblazer-07-p12-13.jpg
1 MB, 1936x1517
>>25312146
This is how I've always felt about uploading consciousness to computers. People think it's like your mind getting sucked through a tunnel of light into a digital world that mirrors our own, when it's more like having a copy stored in another location.
>>
>>25312722
You misunderstood my argument. I was saying that machines and the psyche have different characteristics so they can't be the same thing.

Light waves reflecting off of objects through your optic nerve and into the visual cortex causing neurons to fire off is a mechanical process. Your experience of what you see in front of you is qualitatively completely different from what I just described. Sure, there's a correlation but that's not enough to prove sameness.
>>
>>25312314
Most of the nervous system does not replace itself though, that is the real you, the rest is the flesh puppet you control.
>>
>>25312808
"if the brain was simple enough to understand, then we wouldn't be able to understand it"

just because we can't explain how the brain functions (right now) doesn't mean it doesn't adhere to physical reality. There will eventually be a correlation discovered between your hardware and your subjective reality. And we will probably be able to tweak and modify your perception of reality (virtual reality will be born).
Also, emotions aren't magic. They're primitive reactions to stimuli. You prick your finger, you become sad or angry and learn not to do it again. Its simple.
We evolved our frontal lobes because our emotions weren't enough to overcome all the obstacles in our world.

Honestly anon, I wish our consciousness was magic.
>>
>>25312957
I'm not saying the brain doesn't adhere to physical reality. What I'm trying to get across is that what correlates to the brain is not...something that can be explained by at least a lay person's knowledge of physics. A synapses of neurons in the hippocampus and its overall relation to the entire network is one thing, it can be described in clear and certain terms and has obvious sets of characteristics. The memory of eating lunch yesterday has to be described in totally different terms and has totally different properties that are more the stuff of psychology than neurology. If those synapses were somehow removed, it may be difficult for you to access that memory but that doesn't make them the same thing.

And by "experience" I didn't just mean emotions, I meant everything you experience with the 5 senses as well.

I'm not sure if magic is the best way to describe what I'm talking about. I haven't given the issue any serious thought in a while either so I'm not sure if I can explain my position that well anymore. This guy, though, is pretty close to my current views on mind/matter.

http://www.bernardokastrup.com/2015/05/the-linguistic-con-game-of-mindmatter.html
>>
Guys, identity doesn't work like that. It's not so picky and fragile.
>>
>>25313250
Absolutely.
My identity is fluid, just like my gender.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.