[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plato's allegory of the cave fit's /r9k/ and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5
File: 1447305364516.jpg (248 KB, 960x956) Image search: [Google]
1447305364516.jpg
248 KB, 960x956
Plato's allegory of the cave fit's /r9k/ and it's view of reality pretty well.

Put aside the higher truth of justice he was describing and think about the reality the people were seeing on the wall of the cave.

We see life from our secluded rooms. All our information is filtered through biased views and subjective picking of information. We don't go outside at all and have no experience out there, and then we place certain attributes upon the real world by the information we gather second hand.
If we were to venture outside the only way we could describe the world is by what we know from within the cave.

I'd say we're pretty foolish and naive to make certain assumptions about society.
>>
>fit's
*fits

Also i'm pretty dumb, look over all the other flaws
>>
File: 1436643680792.jpg (71 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1436643680792.jpg
71 KB, 396x385
"The fool rushes after the pleasures of life and finds himself their dupe; the wise man avoids its evils; and even if, notwithstanding his precautions, he falls into misfortunes, that is the fault of fate, not of his own folly.

As far as he is successful in his endeavors, he cannot be said to have lived a life of illusion; for the evils which he shuns are very real."
>>
>>25311834
That is not to say the evils he shuns are actually evils.
>>
>>25311862
Schope's argument is that pain always outweighs pleasure (i.e. you can't enjoy a cheeseburger if you're bleeding from a shotgun wound) so guarding against pain is a far better strategy for happiness than pursuing pleasure.
>>
File: fd4d.jpg (6 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
fd4d.jpg
6 KB, 236x214
>>25311900
B-but life is dualistic, the pleasure needs the pain and the pain needs the pleasure. If you are avoiding one you are avoiding the other, thus avoiding life altogether.
>>
File: 1447873602739.jpg (65 KB, 800x402) Image search: [Google]
1447873602739.jpg
65 KB, 800x402
>>25311921
>>25311900
On top of that you are avoiding it, not dealing with it or solving it. To avoid pain and prevent pain a better strategy is to understand it, that way you can welcome it and it will do nothing.

Looking at the root of the pain in your life will bring you to your pleasures, or the pleasures you seek. You want delicious meals because you don't want trash ones or go hungry, you want companionship because you don't want to be lonely. Guarding against these things does not bring pleasure, they bring you to a neutral state almost.

I think a better strategy to deal with pain is to ask why you want the pleasures.
>>
File: 1a1s.jpg (33 KB, 497x458) Image search: [Google]
1a1s.jpg
33 KB, 497x458
p-pls respond, /r9k/
>>
>>25311784
That would actually feel really good. But you should do it with a trumpet. That way you'd have a better chance of putting the bell near your asshole. The vibrations from the trumpet would feel amazing.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.