[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it possible to undo social conditioning? how do i do it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1429216941134.jpg (375 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1429216941134.jpg
375 KB, 900x900
is it possible to undo social conditioning?

how do i do it?

i've heard people say psychedelics and meditation..
>>
>>25306148
What sort of social conditioning?
>>
>>25306148
>psychedelics and meditation

Surest way to become conformist by becoming empathetic.
>>
>>25306175
Lack of empathy is what defines normies.
>>
>>25306175
I disagree about meditation. Meditation made me much colder and objective. It's true that it makes you more aware of your own bullshit along with everyone else's; but what you do with that is up to you.
>>
>>25306174
all the conditioning the "system" puts into us to make us a part of it

perhaps a shitload of reading could do it..
>>
>>25306148
it took years to condition you, it will take years to change that conditioning, assuming you know exactly what it is you have been conditioned to believe
>>
>>25306223
No; empathy is the opposite of autism, in the sense of experiencing feelings (of compassion or mirth) as soon as you witness them in other people (crying or laughing). To the effect of preventing judgement and susceptibility to blindly obeying those others' pressures.

>>25306230
'Meditation' narrows awareness through inducing thoughts about thoughts which consume your attention. You are confusing their presence, as well as decreased sense of goals' urgency, for objectivity. The more you 'meditate', the less aware you are of reasons behind your actions. You are more and more pseudo-aware *that* you are doing something, for instance being angry, and less and less aware *why* -- for instance, because it is something a peer of yours exhibited, or because the other person abuses a certain definition, or so.
>>
>>25306294
this is what concerns me. i'm assuming i have to extensively read about the conditioning itself, then about alternative ways of being

normies claim that traveling helps
>>
>>25306323
>>25306230
An example of 'meditators' being self-unaware is how you've begun to type 'did you ever meditate yourself?', failing to realize that it is irrelevant because judgement can, and often should, be done without partaking oneself.
>>
>>25306323
Again, I disagree with you. My meditation experience has been the opposite of that. By observing my thoughts, emotions and reactions, I was able to discover the whys, not obscure them. The results of meditation vary wildly.
>>
Its hard for me to do, but I think i've got it all down with constant vigilance and an apt for sorting out what makes an action well informed and beneficial for myself. It takes constant nagging and sort of recursive thoughts from the ground up about how the world just is, nihilistic basis, and then the thought slowly justifies itself.

Of course, I don't disregard societal norms completely, as that would end up with me in trouble or prison.
>>
>>25306361
>>25306323
>>25306386
>>25306230
dont derail the thread you anti-buddha shit
>>
>>25306386
This is not true. 'I realized that my emotions come from my ego' and 'I realized that my actions come from fear' are not realizations, not correlations, not causal paths.
>>
>>25306405
You're making a lot of assumptions. I didn't come to those conclusions. I think you believe you know what I believe, which is odd.
>>
>>25306394
describe your methodology

>>25306405
>>25306460
shut up no one cares
>>
>>25306405
>>25306386
(I used to give examples of true self-awareness, but it is hard to remember them every time, much less come with new ones. But, for instance... the 'assertion of will' theory of self-harm, arrived at independently, or parallels between Buddhist enlightenment and paranoid schizophrenia, or (that's rather trivial...) the relationship between false modesty ('I'm so stupid') and cowardice and laziness, or irresponsibility of belief in free will... Those would be decent examples of self-awareness. I would not in my life have those insights, plebeian as they are, if I had 'meditated'.)
>>
>>25306460
>I didn't come to those conclusions.

Those are not conclusions, and neither is anything else you came to.
>>
>>25306478
None of that has anything to do with me; so I'm going to stop responding and let this thread get back on track.
>>25306475
>shut up no one cares
I tend to agree.
>>25306495
>and neither is anything else you came to
You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about this and that's cool. I don't even think most people benefit from meditation; I was just responding to a silly blanket statement. Like I said, going to drop it as this is pointless and shitting up the thread.
>>
>>25306534
You are lying that 'meditation' increases awareness and objectivity, while it narrows it.
>>
>>25306475
Alright... I'll go into it more.

First off, I'll be in a specific situation, like, say, feeling lonely and feeling like going to take some creepshots.

>But creepshots are unethical
>How would you like it if I snuck a picture of your privates anon?

This is where the nihilistic worldview, otherwise known as the default worldview, comes in.

Everything is an end in itself insofar as it does not land me in trouble. The action ends where it begins, and is all in all. There is no emotional baggage necessary when it is only me who is making the decision, no need for communication, and no need for ambiguity or guilt.

What will emotions do, hurt me? Why can't I ignore them, they are ends in themselves, they aren't physical.

And so I find myself free and able to direct my thoughts towards the task at hand.

This isn't a blanket solution and I have to do it every time though. It requires constant vigilance to beat back your societally taught conscious.

Being any other way than this is what I call a societal cuck.
>>
>>25306665
makes sense, thanks for getting the thread back on track
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.