[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here a trucker? I just turned 18 not long ago and will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: truck-driving-license.png (555 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
truck-driving-license.png
555 KB, 600x398
Anyone here a trucker? I just turned 18 not long ago and will start college soon at WKU. I'm go for Teaching and Business. But after college I want to be a trucker just for experience. I love muscle cars and big trucks, but I also love the open road. If things don't work out with me and my (ex)/friend girlfriend I want to meet a qt on the road.

Whats college like? Whats trucking like? Any advice you can give me? I want a head start in life before going out by myself. Or you can post your dream job in this thread
>>
>>25304419
fuck no one ever responds to my threads
>>
Not trucker, but I hear open road trucking is like the acting degree of trucking, and you're better off at driving logs for a lumber company or quarry shit.
>>
>>25304556
Nah I want to be an independent driver. Like that show Shipping Wars
>>
road BUMP
>>
Don't do it. The old boys will tell you it'll drain your soul and you'll ignore them at first like I did.

There was nothing like that feeling of just you, the road and the radio to keep you company. Learning how to get from place to place, commiting it to memory. It was fun.

Then the hours take their toll, and you realise that whilst you're getting paid well you're giving up far more of your life for it than others are. Truck driving is what people who can't do anything else do.

Maybe you'll luck out, some people do. I was happy in my old driving job, maybe it's just my current one that makes me feel this way. Experience has shown me otherwise though. For the vast majority of truckers their life is shit. If I could go back and get some real qualifications I would.

To just do it for a couple of years I'd say it isn't worth the effort or cost involved in getting the license.
>>
File: steph.jpg (59 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
steph.jpg
59 KB, 600x500
>>25304657
Thanks

I plan on doing it for about 1-3 years
Then doing teaching or owning a antique business like my parents. Honestly I know it aint popular but I'm a country boy so I know how the working and stuff goes.

Pic is of my dream qt
>>
Oh and you're very unlikely to find a qt on the road. Unless you're good with women anyway being a trucker leaves you a choice between bookers and your hand.

Trucking is a job actively looked down on by women, and chances are you won't be around enough to get a relationship to stick anyway. Whilst you're away for 3 weeks, she's getting to know Chad, then you're home for a few days tops then you're away again.

It's a shame you've asked this now desu as its 6am here and I'm falling asleep or else I'd talk far more in depth about it.
>>
Trucking is a HARD job op, I mean it's pay well and you certainly get the opportunity to do work that doesn't really require a huge investment in skills.

But it's draining
>>
I hitchhiked and ended up traveling with a trucker lady for awhile. She said it was a pretty tough life but it's a good experience builder and you learn a lot about yourself, I guess because so much time to yourself. Weirdly enough her biggest complaint was that it was hell on her back and sitting driving for such a long time could be a real pain.

I'm not sure about getting a job in it though, I think you have to do a couple years of learning and training at least and that's for just freeway driving. As for college, I'm going now. Best advice I can give, take a year, maybe two to do a bunch of different classes and find out what you're really interested in. I know too many people who had their mind set on something going in, and ended up changing their majors multiple times before the found what they were happy doing. Perhaps even more, who stuck with it and are doing something they are unhappy with.
>>
>>25304739
Anon, you sound like a sperg.

Literally imagine you foaming at the mouth with a red ryder daisy in hand and a cowboy hat on.

Seriously, fucking stop talking on the internet like you are from georgia.
>>
>>25304818
I'm from Tennessee/Kentucky border
>>
>>25304857
Well I'm from Kansas City, and live in a redneck hick suburb. No one talks like that, and the ones that do get looked at.

We aren't niggers though. Like 1.2% black population in my shitville, though it may rise because of a new intersection and urban housing development.

Also ironic that my town has a pretty decently sized truck stop and it's own company that literally is ran by one guy.
>>
>>25304788
I know :( but its my dream and I wont back down, but I'm good with women. I'm confident if they don't know about me or personally know me when we first met.
>>25304794
Thanks fellow bot
>>25304813
I had my dad talk to me about this, he supports my decisions because I mean atleast I wanna do something with my life. But who knows? I might change my mind but I would wanna own a antique business like my parents, but I wanna be a English teacher just like my favorite English/drama teacher
>>
>>25304926
Tennessee and Kntucky are far different than Kansas, youre more up north. I'm just used to texting my friends like I do and when I text I imagine my self speaking.
>>
File: 1426477831757.gif (11 KB, 218x216) Image search: [Google]
1426477831757.gif
11 KB, 218x216
>>25304926
Sounds like you ain't hoss enough for the country.
>>
>>25304419
go to /o/ and look for the truckerfag thread
>>
>>25305367
I own an AR and know how to use a crossbow well. I drove a lifted pickup in High school with a bargate and rollbar, too.
>>
>>25305497
My town has a population of about 1000 people
>>
Any advice for a recent university grad who wants to abandon that shit and get a trade as a fitter or an electrician?

I want a real world quantifiable skill I hate myself for deciding to study Political Science. I get it I'm a fucking idiot. I just want to salvage my life but I'm not sure how to go about finding an apprenticeship? I realize I'm unskilled but can some one give me any advice on this?

(not trying to hijack your thread OP just feel like we're in a similar boat)
>>
>>25305593
its cool brah
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.