[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: tool.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tool.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
hey guys

i can't go to /mu/ because i feel really out of place there, but i need some music recommendations

I really, really like tool. Especially 10000 days. Anything I should try?
>>
>>25302549

Puscifer.
>>
>>25302549
The 'don't judge a band by its album cover art' rule doesn't apply to Tool.
>>
>>25302604
a lot of the art is actually inspired from psychedelic and dissociative visions
>>
This might not go the same way for you, but Tool was my entrance into prog.

Try:

Porcupine Tree
King Crimson
The Mars Volta
Rush
Genesis
Yes
Pink Floyd
Three Trapped Tigers
Steven Wilson

That should get you going. You'll see which ones you like and which ones you don't, and you'll pursue more bands down your specific paths.
>>
>>25302647
This is exactly what I referred to. If a band is as braindead as to reference 'psychedelic' experiences as if they are not brain-destructive garbage, their music is not worth listening to. Don't mention progressiveness; I've heard '70s prog, '80s prog, Japanese prog, Quebecois prog, and that one time I gave Tool a cursory listen, nothing caught my interest at all.
>>
>>25302891
psychedelics do not destroy your brain if you aren't using them like an idiot every day

careful not to fall for it
>>
>>25303141
They're harmless when they do no harm? Thank you for your insight, it is appreciated.
>>
>>25302891
this is the worst kinda bait. Gets me every time
>>
try some progressive rock/psychedelic rock or progressive metal. progressive is more movement based and rhythmic, psychedelic is more 'experimental' (people also use experimental as a label too for same music).

but just look at the bands below you'll find some albums in recommendations that will be similar and just go from there.

pink floyd, a perfect circle (has tool singer), soen (sounds exactly like tool), my sleeping karma, black sabbath, electric wizard, sleep
heavier 'metal' bands like cynic (like a more 'metal' tool), chimp spanner, opeth, meshuggah

a lot of those won't sound 'like' tool, but you might like. there's lots of metal/rock bands though, just search for full albums and you'll come across new bands/albums... or listen to some online radios which show variety of bands
>>
>>25302549
Try stoner rock or stoner metal. The genre name implies some kind of "drug scene" but it's called "stoner" because of the slower speed.

Staple of the genre is slow drawn out heavily distorted guitar riffs and licks, an alternative genre name is "desert metal" or "desert metal".

Some bands to get you started:
Sasquatch
Sleep
Stoned Jesus
Witch
Drone Hunter
>>
>>25303822
*desert rock

Shit. Put desert metal twice.
>>
http://www.progrockandmetal.net/

http://www.progulus.com/

These are my go-to internet stations for discovering prog rock/metal.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.