[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand the concept of bars. For the sake of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 239852598.png (445 KB, 675x575) Image search: [Google]
239852598.png
445 KB, 675x575
I don't understand the concept of bars.

For the sake of argument let's say it's an Old Fashioned. Are you supposed to just walk in and order something, or do most of these places have menus online that you should be checking first? The Old Fashioned is a fairly common, popular drink, but what if it's a more obscure one? What if, like the Old Fashioned, it's a fairly complex/difficult/time-consuming cocktail?

Are there some types of bar that you're supposed to instinctively know as ones that do or don't serve such drinks? I imagine most "dive bars" want to just serve cheap beer and really simple rum-and-coke type stuff.
>>
Just tell them what you fucking want, and if they don't know what it is, explain what's in it and they'll make it for you, you fucking moron.

Happens all the time. Also, bartenders know how to make a lot of drinks, you nerd.
>>
i just always get sazeracs
>>
Mixed drinks have many alternate names, you can just ask for the ingredients and the bartender will understand most of the time. No one is going to care about how you ask for a drink or what terms you use, as long as you both understand the order.

A lot of ordering happens like this
>"Do you have x alcohol and x ingredients?"
>"Yeah, we have that."
>"Great thanks, can I get a x?"

If you want beer you say this
>"Do you have Old Fashioned on tap?"
>"Yes, we also have it bottled." or "No, but we have it bottled." or "No, sorry!"
>"Great, can I get it on tap?"

You usually don't go to bars to get nice drinks, because you would be getting better quality at home at least you mean on tap beers. Mixing drinks at home is a much better plan though. People usually go to bars to meet strangers and drink or socialize with friends in a setting with unlimited booze. Good luck out there OP.
>>
File: 1339964326036.gif (1008 KB, 223x126) Image search: [Google]
1339964326036.gif
1008 KB, 223x126
>>25300139
>old fashioned on tap
>>
>>25299971
at work we have basic beers and things in the main bar or simple mixes if you want a cocktail there's a separate cocktail bar with a drinks list.
>>
>>25299971

almost all bars have the rudimentary elements necessary to make you an old fashioned. You may not be able to get good bourbon, or good whiskey but they're all going to have bitters and at least bottom shelf stuff.

If i walked into a bar and ordered an old fashioned and they told me they didn't have bourbon or didn't know how to make it, i would probably not go back there again
>>
>>25300173
I'm just using OP's stupid example. I don't know what the fuck he is talking about because I don't drink old fashioned or regularly go to bars. I have just been to some before and I feel like ordering should be obvious.
>>
>>25299971
The concept is one that is difficult for robots who haven't been introduced, but you're pretty close. Like you said, real divey joints mostly make money by selling light beer and watered down mixed drinks. If you find yourself in one, your best bets are beer or standard highballs. Watch out for ordering by type of liquor rather than brand, as these places can have some real rotgut they use for cheap "rail" drinks. Rail gin is pretty much poison in my opinion. Nicer places or places that attract a slightly older clientele will be better suited to making decent cocktails, and will have a better availability of beer and wines. Any place with a drinks list will be able to make what you want, or just gauge it off of price and atmosphere. Many bartenders are knowledgeable, but you also get a lot of air headed sluts who are just there to look good and get tips.
>>
File: 1450616751641.jpg (28 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1450616751641.jpg
28 KB, 436x425
>venture out to liquor store
>use self-checkout to avoid interaction
>go home and get drunk all by myself
>>
>>25300289
They have to get a license to bartend in almost every state. They know how to make drinks. You only get stiffed to save them money.
>>
>>25300252
an Old Fashioned is a cocktail, a tap means the spigot that comes out of the bar and draws beer from a keg. He's just wonderng if all bartenders know how to make specific cocktails beause he is too autistic to go out and find a bar that makes the drink he wants.
>>
An autist walks into a bar....
>>
File: 239852597.png (350 KB, 529x420) Image search: [Google]
239852597.png
350 KB, 529x420
>>25300312
OP here. This is what I generally do but I'd rather try a cocktail at a bar first, to know whether or not I like it, than buy all the ingredients and not discover that I fucking hate it until I get home.

I've done that at craft beer bars already, but beer isn't like a cocktail, you just pour it into a fucking glass it's really hard for dumbass college girls to fuck that up
>>
>>25299971

Bars usually have decent quality pool tables. You go with your mates and say to the bartender "Yeah mate I'll take 5 XXXX schooners thanks" and you get on the piss and play pool for some hours and it's a grand time. Often a group of lads will ask "mate mind if we share the table?" at this stage you join in some friendly competition and you get to know the new blokes, maybe play for a round of drinks or something.
>>
>>25300173

I use to bartend at a place that had it on tap. Batched up and attached to the line.

Yes, it was silly.
>>
>>25300317
Most bartenders need a servers' certification, but that doesn't usually include the ability to make a Singapore Sling on the spot. It has more to do with knowing when to cut people off. Bartenders who have been at it for a while usually know what they are doing, but the 21 year old chick pulling beers in a college bar may not.
>>
>>25299971
Old Fashioned drinks are fucking disgusting.

You go in, ask for a whiskey or a scotch NEAT. That's it, you literally don't need anything else, my friend.
>>
>>25300359
Yeah true, I mixed up Olde English with Old Fashioned and assumed he meant there was both a mixed drink and a beer called "Old Fashioned" and he was so retarded that he couldn't figure out how to ask for the drink he wants.
>>
>>25300477
At over $10 a drink you're far better off just buying a bottle.

Same for beer. At a bar you should be paying for an actual service, not for an overpriced product you can buy wholesale at a liquor store.
>>
>>25299971

A good bartender knows how to make a lot of different drinks.
>>
>>25300312
what, they didn't check your ID? I bet they did, and that counts as interaction
>>
>dragged out to a bar by some normalfags as a floor-wide outing for my dorm in college
>wanted something tasty
>got a frozen grasshopper
>holy shit that's delicious
>everyone in the building was certain i was gay afterward
>graduate
>drink at home now
"college will be the best years of your life"
fuck you dad
>>
>>25300477
>only drinking scotch
>only drinking it neat
Not sure if fedoralord or rich enough to drink good scotch all the time.
>>
>>25300521
he can't, that's why he made this thread. he wants to make sure the bar has what he wants before he goes so he doesn't have to ask.
>>
>>25300685

The first one, most definitely the first one.
>>
>>25299971

If you like a drink that has more than two components (i.e White Russian, Long Island Iced Tea), you're better off at a nicer bar.

Like another anon said, dive bars just want to serve beer and shots, and usually have crappy shit on tap plus cheap shitty booze for cocktails.

Nicer places usually have good cocktails.

What I've noticed is that if you want a mixed drink that is anything more than two liquids in a glass (simple bro drinks like Jack and Coke), male bartenders tend to be happier to make them for you.
>>
>>25300917

>Long Island Iced Tea

That's the one drink that should be an exception to that rule m8. Practically any place that serves alcohol can get that right because it's just liquor+;liquor+liquor. I doubt you could consistently discern where a LIIT came from based on taste alone.
>>
>>25300685
Second, actually. And I also mentioned whiskey, you mong. Well, not rich, I'm an alcoholic so I spend all my money on that and eat TV dinners with it. Priorities, man.
>>
>>25300917
because they take pride in their craft, and don't mind being asked to do more than the bare minimum. female bartenders prefer to serve easy drinks to a higher volume of people because they get tipped more heavily.
>>
So is it unreasonable to expect a dive bar to be able to make med-tier cocktails?

>white russian
>tom collins
>moscow mule
>>
>>25301106
for white russians it depends on how picky you are about the coffee part. Im from england, and kahluah is like fucking gold dust - i can only drink russians when i buy the ingredients myself and make it at home
>>
>>25301106
>>25301185
I do the same thing, this is pretty much all I drink. I just drink it at home.
>>
>>25299971
Go into a bar, ask for your drink. If they don't serve it, go find another bar. Have you ever been outside?
>>
>>25301106
>>25301185
>white russian
>not black russian
lol
>>
File: autism overdrive.jpg (23 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
autism overdrive.jpg
23 KB, 567x561
>>25299971
!mi gusta familia!
>>
>>25301421
you're so cool
>>
>>25301421
im a babby who thinks black russians are too strong.

im still torn between whether i like white russians or colorado bulldogs more though
>>
>>25300217

Nah thats fucking sick actually why don't they do this everywhere

>order cocktails early on
>get it right away
>joint fills up
>order cocktails
>be stuck stood at the bar for 20 fucking minutes waiting for them to make yours along with the 5 others they are making
>>
>>25300397

>fucking XXXX

Queenslander savage detected
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.