[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I'm smart but lazy" >"I'm bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10
File: white sisko.jpg (36 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
white sisko.jpg
36 KB, 768x768
>"I'm smart but lazy"
>"I'm bad at math"
>>
I actually am really bad at math, but objectively good at literally everything else
>>
>>25291483
The whole smart but lazy thing is over rated.

>"I'm better than you but am too busy doing nothing to prove it"
>>
>>25291571
Math is literally memorization until you get to a high level
>>
>>25291571
can you give examples of these everything elses
>>
>>25291651

Some people are incapable of memorizing the formulas.
>>
>>25291651
Lol no. Math is just a system. If you understand it you just understand if you dont, too bad. Im good at math but never been good ind litterature reading, poety and other english stuff
>>
>>25291483
Given that I perform well in everything but math, I don't see how this is somehow stupid. It's no different than being bad at any other subject, which many are.
>>
>>25291635
It's because it's easier to claim potential and never actually have to prove it than to put your money where your mouth is. People who base their character on their potential are usually more or less worthless.
>>
File: 1284839554571.jpg (22 KB, 542x428) Image search: [Google]
1284839554571.jpg
22 KB, 542x428
>I don't like reading
>>
Who here /ACT/?
35 on english
34 on reading
30 on science
Like a 21 on math
30 overall
I am the meme
>>
>>25291719
>Given that I perform well in everything but math
you mean everything that's incredibly easy?
>>
>>25291483

I was told I"m smart but lazy in hs all the time lel, probably true of course I am a lazy person
>>
>>25291483
Being good at math is pointless, all you need is an advanced calculator that can do all math problems.
>>
>>25291790
Math is easy
That why retards, chads and stacies are so good at it
It takes time instead of talent
Normie numbers fag
>>
File: image.jpg (302 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302 KB, 1200x1600
>>25291788
30 in science but 21 in math? Are you just the king of remembering what ribosomes are?
>>
Anyone who claims that they're "bad at math" is just a lazy faggot. You can bullshit in all soft sciences really easily with a small level of cleverness but math actually requires dedication, and when faced with that most normies get terrified.

>>tfw people would actually rather tell everyone that they are mentally broken than spend an honest effort to learn something
>>
I thought that was me, smart but lazy, but one day I took a long hard look at myself and thought, "what makes me smart?" and there was that, nothing
>>
>>25291483

knowledge =/= intelligence

sorry to burst your bubble kid
>>
>>25291913

How are you with neurology?
>>
>>25291651
This view is why everyone is so bad at mathematics.

For instance, I never memorized the equations of motions in high school Physics and ended up having to derive them on the first exam.

Understanding how things work is far more important than memorization in mathematics.
>>
>>25291872
No, all the info was there for you. Charts and data and shit. It was more about being able to know what to look for and shit. So just understanding how science works? Idk I can't really remember, but it didn't require any outside knowledge of science
>>
>>25291913
hard science is boring as fuck desu senpai
>>
>>25291913
Chad and Stacie excel at math and you know it
>>
>>25292011
That's fine if you feel that way and I understand that motivating yourself to study something you find boring is hard, but don't go telling people that you literally CANNOT DO IT when the truth is that you just don't care to. This is what I take issue with. People allow themselves to think these things and the idea spreads and soon enough you have an entire generation of people that think they're incapable of learning math. It's needlessly limiting. Rather than coddling people's laziness we should be teaching them more effective methods of learning.
>>
>>25292011
>soft science is generally make believe
>hard science isn't so comes off as boring to people who want to believe in magic
aight
>>
>>25291483
>"I'm smart but lazy"

This is to protect the kid's self esteem.
>>
>Every time I hear someone say "I suck at math," I immediately think he or she is a moron. If you suck at math, what you really suck at is following instructions.
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math
>>
>>25291960
math takes more intelligence than most academic subjects tho
>>
>>25291719
Keep bein delusion
>>
>>25292091
Not the guy but I've never bullshitted that I do not like maths. I failed it because I found it dull and boring, the only thing I like is graphs and charts. What I don't like is being forced to do it.
>>
>>25292091
that actually makes a lot of sense, I'll remember not to say it in the future
>>25292104
it just doesn't really answer any questions I'm interested in man
>>
>>25291483
>muh learning disability
>muh depression
>muh anxiety
>>
>>25292091

>That's fine if you feel that way and I understand that motivating yourself to study something you find boring is hard, but don't go telling people that you literally CANNOT DO IT when the truth is that you just don't care to.

Can you do math at the level of Stephen Hawking, or is it just that you don't care to?

People are funny about math. If you're shit at foreign languages, or shit at researching, or philosophy, nobody bats an eye. The minute you're bad at math people start calling you lazy and acting like you're choosing to be a bad person. Yet all those things are more relevant to human life. Math beyond basic arithmetic and very basic algebra has virtually no applicability whatsoever to daily life for almost everyone aside from some very specialized professionals.
>>
>>25292036
Sometimes. A lot of Stacies fall for this trap too, though. Normies are good enough at studying because they excel at taking direction and doing what's expected of them. Robots are depressive and can barely summon the strength to go to school nevermind push themselves to learn shit they don't care about so the incidence of math failure is higher here.
>>
>>25292175
>if you're bad at math you're a bad person
desu if anything it's the opposite, it's cool to be bad at math
>>
File: 1439793398380.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1439793398380.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>25292159
>it just doesn't really answer any questions I'm interested in man
neither does soft science
>>
>muh ADD
>muh dyslexia
>>
>muh culturally biased testing
>>
>failed all my classes in high school because I did none of the work and played video games all night
>go to college
>math major
>crushing it

Literally was just me being lazy
>>
>>25292091
>Rather than coddling people's laziness we should be teaching them more effective methods of learning.

Methods of learning sounds like a soft science. Why don't we just bullshit on that and teach it to the kids? Oh wait...
>>
>>25292175
You're not a 'bad' person. Just lazy or retarded.
>>
>>25292272
>muh more effective methods of learning
>>
>>25292175
If I recall correctly there's a correlation between success rates and a persons ability to do algebra. Essentially, if you can't do an equation, you're a fucking retard that should probably kill themselves.
>>
>>25291483
most everyone is lazy
>>
>smart but lazy
Pick one.

If you're "smart but lazy" you might as well be dumb. You're wasting your intelligence.
>>
smart but lazy people often seem to assume that others aren't lazy too
>>
>>25292275

>You're not a 'bad' person. Just lazy or retarded.

How many languages do you know?

Do you know anything about neurology or the human body?

Oh, but you're good at math, so none of that matters. You can just call everyone else who has different specialties a retard.
>>
>>25292175
Comparing yourself to a genius level scientist is an extreme extrapolation of my point. The kind of math I'm talking about here, like algebra and geometry, basic calculus or statistics, it's not comparable to that.

Here's the thing: I agree with you. More abstract forms of math are unnecessary in daily life. That doesn't change the fact that you're still able to do basic math if you need to for some reason. For example, I get sad everytime my friends and I are splitting a tab and half of the table is like "ugh I just can't do this, I'm so bad at math". It's a pain in the ass for everyone in that kind of situation, and the truth is that anyone can easily preform that kind of calculation if they just try a little bit.

>>25292150
Completely agreed. The way we teach math is fucking obnoxious and makes most people hate it.
>>
File: 1270652424553.jpg (49 KB, 193x216) Image search: [Google]
1270652424553.jpg
49 KB, 193x216
>"I'm pretentious on /r9k/"
>>
>>25292411
Same.

>>25292383
"It's okay that I couldn't get this immediately, I'm simply incapable of doing it so I can't be blamed." This is needlessly limiting. The truth is that you're just frustrated you can't do it effortlessly, and your ego doesn't want to accept that something that may appear simple is giving you that much trouble. Do not self sabotage.
>>
>>25292383
>You can just call everyone else who has different specialties a retard.
When their specialty is 'memorizing shit' I kind of can.
>>
>>25292411
>tfw that kid looks like me
>>
File: 1438219276646.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1438219276646.png
21 KB, 900x900
Who /doubledigitIQ/ here?
87 reporting in
>>
>>25292585
some of my best friends were/are dumb as a rock. dumb people tend to be less facetious so you kinda get what you see. I like that
>>
File: 1407274300651.png (201 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1407274300651.png
201 KB, 500x373
>>25292632
B-but I hate being defined by this number. I feel subhuman.
>>
I'm gonna sound like a retard for asking this, but how hard is elementary statistics?
>>
>>25292036
But that's wrong you turbonigger. Chad and Stacy are good enough at learning how to bullshit enough to get a C on their test and forget the subject matter in a month, rather than putting in the extra effort to master the concepts out forth by their teachers and have them accessible for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>25292686
IQ means close to jack shit senpai
>>
>>25292717
on a scale of 1 to 10 probably a 3-4
>>
>>25291913
Unless it's dedication to working out, ain't that right, faggot.
>>
>>25291840

>not knowing what math actually is

Wow, he was right. You're a special brand of retard.
>>
>>25292175

>math at the level of Stephen Hawking

You realize that there are perhaps millions of people alive who can do this, right? He isn't magic. He's a good theoretician in physics, but the math he does isn't some big secret only he knows.
>>
>>25292686

You're within the "normal" range, one standard deviation from the mean in either direction. There are probably close to 60 million Americans dumber than you.
>>
>>25291990
SUVAT equations?
How the hell do you derive them?
>>
>'i do not do anything because of memory lost.'
>am 25
>>
>>25291635
Does it count if I never actually said this, but my teachers did?

I felt inadequate, so I never did anything. If I was going to fail, it'd intentional.
>>
>>25292318
>Correlation
>Implying causation from it

Just because two things are correlated doesn't mean that one necessarily causes the other, retard.
>>
File: 1447533747612.png (108 KB, 1248x1504) Image search: [Google]
1447533747612.png
108 KB, 1248x1504
remember when they called you smart?
see where you ended up, why did they lie?
>>
>STEM monkeys trying to rationalize their autism: the thread
>>
>>25292130
>http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math

But sempai this isn't a YLYL bread.
>>
>>25292686
IQ doesn't mean anything
>>
fucking triggered

smartfags cant be robots

rooooo
>>
>>25293655
No replies? Tell me which to derive and I'll do it from f=ma

>maths msci student here
>>
>>25295323
>STEMfags act like pretentious assholes
>They almost never realize nobody wants to actually work with them
>>
>I am captain of the starship Enterprise
>>
>>25291483
I used to think I was smart but just lazy. But since I have little to no evidence to support that I am smart, it's more than likely I'm just a fucking idiot.
For the record I'd say I'm pretty good at maths, not amazing, but probably above average for my age group.
>>
>>25296868
>but probably above average for my age group.
>for my age group
if you have to qualify that you may be too young to be here friend
>>
>>25296911
I mean I'm probably better than most young adults. Obviously I'm better than most under 17's and pretty much every middle aged person I know has never studied maths and doesn't even have prerequisite knowledge.
>>
>>25291788
That was years ago, the last standardized test I did was the GRE in 2013, I was 99th percentile in reading, 95th percentile in writing and like 60th percentile in math. Didn't study at all and I hadn't done any math more complex than mid level statistics (which is basically middle school shit) since high school.

It was kind of a holy shit moment for me, like I've never been talented with numbers yet unprepared me does better than more than half of the idiots who take this test.
>>
File: IMG_20151228_002001.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_002001.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>25293655
Here ya go rubut
>>
File: TRIGGERED.jpg (4 KB, 122x180) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED.jpg
4 KB, 122x180
>>25296978
Fuck that dubs leaves for a year shit, I'm moving back to /b/ after a day. Needing an original post, this board is full of cock gobbling silly nannies who can't have fun, like you. Can't even tell an underage homo he's a faggot on here without getting a mute.
I swear I will make it my life's task to end /r9k/ mark my words of bismuth.
Oh yeah..
Quit being a faggot. You're not special in any way whatsoever.
>>
>>25291483
I used to be bad at math because it wasn't very comfy. I couldn't stand having to sit down and read page after page of boring and predictable formulas because they were just that, and always felt like a waste of time until I actually found use to it and now it's pretty comfy
>>
>>25297053
>posting your name on 4chan

GG, Distance Travelled
>>
>>25297194
Wtf? I'm not saying I'm special. All I'm basing this off is that I did better than most people from my sixth form in Maths and Further maths. That doesn't make me a speshul snowflake. I'm not saying I'm amazing at maths, but the evidence from exams would suggest that I'm at least good.
Also, I'm 19.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.