[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are most people so obedient and passive? they question nothing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1432185707679.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1432185707679.png
218 KB, 600x579
why are most people so obedient and passive? they question nothing. critical thinking and having opinions is actually rare as fuck

am i just better than everyone else?
>>
>>25288916
Well what's the fucking payoff of being right?
Does it makes you more loved? more popular? safer? rich? No.
>>
>>25288916

r9k h8s a nice b8 m8
>>
How does it feel to finally hit the teenage angst phase?

>>25288962

Also this. If there's no benefit to something why do it?
>>
I bet ur like tyler dudrde OP XDDD

RULE 1 NO TALK ABOUT FITE
RULE 2 NO TALK ABOUT FITE
RULE 3 U MUST FITE XDD
>>
>>25288962
you get to find out who you are, and lead a life of your own volition
>>
>>25288994
>>25288980
Dumb people cannot understand as usual

>>25288962
It's not like you try, it's just the natural way some people behave.
>>
>>25289011
>you get to find out who you are
Wow, much useful. I can finally update my facebook profile.

>and lead a life of your own volition
No, because you're not isolated from society. If society disagrees with you, you'll loose many opportunities. Face confinement even. Being an individualist only limits your options.
>>
>>25289078
what is even the point of living a life which isn't yours, but a prescribed one, that everyone else is also following.

if you know who you are and live it out, that life has a kind of purpose to you. theres a joy and meaning in that far beyond the base pleasures of conformity like work and leisure.

most people live on a basic: work > consume cycle, and neither is fulfilling to them. then they tick off the usual checklists of job, house, wife, kids, retirement..etc, and never even know who they are or what they actually wanted in life. too weak to oppose the norms and find themselves
>>
>>25289147
Because of luck and chance. You're only seeing the positive outcomes in your plan.

If you attempt to step out of the norms you could find innovation and authenticity, or you could fuck up irreversibly and never be allowed into society again, maybe even die. Considering how few authentic people are actually successful, I would say that challenging the status will most likely turn you into a hobo.
>>
File: 1376853691952.jpg (25 KB, 500x634) Image search: [Google]
1376853691952.jpg
25 KB, 500x634
>>25288916
because when you grow up you realize that questioning critical thinking and having opinions is useless and only makes you angry because you can't change anything.So you either become a peaceful sheep, you start getting wasted to deal with it or you go to jail. Those are your options. Most people got burned hard through their rebelious phase and now they're just dead inside working machines. You'll get it when you become older don't worry about it now.
>>
>>25289147
J Krishamurti would have said "punishment and reward". Living in a cycle of perpetual punishment and reward always reacting. For example work is the punishment and money is the reward.
>>
>>25290845
or live a fulfilling life outside the standard norms
>>
I don't even care if I sound like a fedora wearing faggot.

It sucks having above average intelligence. You watch people and you can figure them out. They're not complex. I have friends who I can barely speak to because of their stupidity and irresponsibility (they make incredibly poor life choices and don't understand why life sucks). And then everybody bores you. I'm already introverted and awkward. Making friends is a hard task for me. And then you're a self aware faggot who's constantly pointing out his own flaws. You look at the person you are and who you will be. And then you can barely speak to your own family because they're overtly religious, it's unbearable.

It's fucking constant. I hate it.
>>
>>25291476
cont.
Every thing in society is either a punishment or a reward. Everything you do is guided by getting the reward and avoiding the punishment. Religion is based on the same idea, if you pray to god and read your bible you get rewarded, get to go to heaven. But this pursuit is just a limited mechanical concept and if you're caught in it completely you never get a correct perception, because you never relax. You never go outside of the punishment and reward "realm".
>>
>>25291814
can relate

except i love learning more about how the world and people work, then operating outside that. i couldn't do this if i were a pleb, my entire life would just be the result of social conditioning
>>
>>25291814

I go one step further.

I posit to myself the idea that my view of other people as simpler and less intelligent than myself might also be a form of conditioning brought about by own personal history and set of experiences, and could be an assumption based on ignorance and lack of experience. I accept that other people also conceive of themselves as superior to others, which is often a major source of their problems, faults and weaknesses, and that in this respect I do not differ from the rest. Therefore, paradoxically, what would in fact put me apart from the rest would be to assume the opposite: that I am no different from anyone else. At the same time, I find pride in the idea that few other people could internalise that kind of mindset.

Just assuming that what seems to me to be true is true puts me on the same level as everyone else, which in turn makes me a hypocrite. I never assume that I know with certainty the things I think I know. I am always ready to be proven wrong and I am ready to express doubt at what seems obvious to me.

When talking with someone, I actively try to convince myself that I can learn something from them, that I can learn more than I can teach, that there are valuable qualities, characteristics and experiences that I can find within every person if I merely listen, empathise and try to see things from their point of view.

My assumptions of superiority are often found to be much less true than I would initially expect.
Based on my experience so far people aren't as bad or stupid as I thought.
>>
>>25293241

Of course this doesn't stop me from intermittently fantasising about superiority when I am alone, but at least I know that the way actually to be a special snowflake is to stop acting like one.
>>
File: 1447359849166.png (211 KB, 513x408) Image search: [Google]
1447359849166.png
211 KB, 513x408
>>25293241
>>25293368
does it matter? what i'm interested in is autonomy, conditioning, awareness. its simple to see, and most people are utter sheep, heavily conditioned, unable to think outside that conditioning. almost all of them tell themselves that they're aware of the conditioning and simply choose the easy life, but it is not so, else they'd be horrified and seek to educate themselves on it and try to slowly break free of it. its similar to everything thinking they are smart by some degree and so they do not try to learn.

i think it can take a traumatic event to shove someone "outside of" society, and weaken the social conditioning. i think people on r9k are candidates to evolve past it, if they can let go of trying to be a normie, and see it for what it is - stop seeing themselves as inferior, based on an arbitrary scale (work, status) which was invented for the purpose of serving the system.
>>
>>25293661
>>25293661

In my understanding, and in the words of Mendeleev (the Russian chemist), wisdom is the ability to see and understand a point of view other than your own.

>does it matter?

It does, because the ability to do that proves exactly the qualities you mentioned.

Are you able to discard, at least for one second, everything you think you know, everything you just said, and assume that you are wrong?
Are you able to empathise and see and feel things from an average sheep's point of view, and then return to your own?

If not, then I think you're not really interested in autonomy, conditioning or awareness, and you're just expressing disappointment, confusion and frustration through those words.

I can understand that. I, and I think many others here, have shared those emotions and have come to similar conclusions and thoughts because of it.

But I think that in order to be truly free and achieve autonomy, you need to jettison your emotional responses. Right now you are speaking in absolutes, generalising liberally and speaking as though only a few people have a chance to change. In my experience there is no large consolidated group of brainwashed unchangeable individuals called "normies' or "sheeple". It's an extremely grey area: many are aware but don't care enough to change because they're asking themselves "does it matter" (just like you), others change without realising it, by force of circumstances (or in your words, "traumatic events"). Others have the necessary potential, but haven't had the opportunity to see things a certain way yet.

Basically you're assuming change is impossible for many people, but assuming that something is impossible is the first sign of closed-mindedness and lack of awareness. I feel you are betraying yourself. That's why being able to empathise with other people, even "sheeple", is the true freedom, in my view. That's why it matters, in response to your question.
>>
>>25293661

Here's an exercise you could try to show that you really are interested in conditioning and awareness:

Even if you disagree with me, instead of arguing with me in your next post, pick one point I made in my post and reply, explaining why it could be right and any similar thoughts you have.

Then I'll pick a point from one of your posts that I disagree with and I'll explain why I think it could be correct.

I think this will show that we are both truly flexible and free individuals, that we are not slaves to our own ideas and egos.
>>
>>25288916
99.9% of people have opinions, they're just too lazy/scared to act on them. Don't deny it, it's the same with you or you wouldn't be busy shitposting on /r9k/.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.