[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The great beyond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Descartes.jpg (12 KB, 240x294) Image search: [Google]
Descartes.jpg
12 KB, 240x294
Do robots believe in an afterlife?

Don't give me that "carbon cycle" hokum. Not the same thing at all.
>>
ya. when im sleeping i dream. when a person sleeps, they are temporarily free from reality.

when a person dies, they are free for good from this place.
>>
>>25279188
Nah
But not existing can't be that bad
Just nothing
No pain no suffering no problems forever
>>
>>25279243
I don't remember my dreams anymore
>>
It would be interesting if there was some sort of "heaven", but I'm more leaning towards nothingness. A deep, dark sleep.
>>
No. It's obvious wishful thinking.
Existing forever would suck anyway.
>>
>>25279188
I can't say that I believe in anything specific but I do hope that there is something after this life.
>>
>>25279188
I know it's extremely unlikely and dualism is probably impossible, but I want to believe in it.

My own fantasy is just that conciousness gets detached from the body somehow, and free from physical stimulae it can simulate any experience it wishes

I know this is probably not going to happen but it keeps me going
>>
>>25279302
Seems like an ontological category error to me. Consciousness is a process, not an object or substance. Think about your actual phenomenal process, it's always in flow.
>>
One life is plenty enough.
>>
>>25279331
I know bro, add to the fact that if it did have a special ontology there's no reason it should supervene on our physical brain processes in any way

it's too wonky but I want to believe somehow
>>
>>25279188
i dont know senai fampai but i definitely want to know so i can figure out
>>
File: Believe.jpg (303 KB, 2232x3157) Image search: [Google]
Believe.jpg
303 KB, 2232x3157
>>25279469

OP here. I hear you. I would like there to be some awesome afterlife too.

It seems incredibly unlikely. Empirical evidence shows that consciousness arises somehow from brain activity. Destroy the brain and you destroy the consciousness.
>>
There must be an afterlife.
>>25279278
>obvious
learn what rigor is
>>25280623
>empirical
See: the above reply.
>>
>>25279258
The Fluoride in the water is causing that
>>
>>25280693

>learn what rigor is

Oh my word, it's you, that guy from the no free will thread.
>>
>>25280860
Yes you moron. You had all day to educate yourself but you chose to jack off instead.
>>
>>25279188
I believe that all good things will be rewarded in the afterlife and all bad things shall be up ished even if it is above mortals' comprehension.
>>
>>25280905

But why do you believe this?
>>
>>25280938
It only makes sense. Fortune must exist in a continuum. So all good things will eventually get rewarded and all bad things will eventually get punished.
>>
I find it highly unlikely but I hope for one, if only to keep me sane. I think if I found out this shitty life was the only existence I got I would kill myself tomorrow.
>>
Yea, there can't be nothing when you die I think. Imagine the time before you were born, how far back does it go? Why stop at the Big Bang? Theres no reason to think it couldn't go on forever, in fact it seems trivial that it does, everything coming into being from "nothing" which is actually not true even according to physicists, the quantum vacuum is something, is magical nonsense. But if there is just something before every time, how did it all finish already, and why hasn't my life already happened? Kind of like choosing to watch a certain point of a movie, this point in time in which you exist is "preferred." So at this point I start to think of all existence as a whole, in which my self is fundamental, it never ceases to exist, because that would be like saying reality ceases to exist, when reality is all there is.

I'm not religious at all, and have no fucking clue what happens next, I guess most likely it'll be like getting out of one car and into another, like John Lennon said.

Also fucking spoiler text was great touch OP I hate when people think that shit is any sort of afterlife in any sense, hardly different than shedding skin all the time.
>>
File: Abram.jpg (25 KB, 541x768) Image search: [Google]
Abram.jpg
25 KB, 541x768
>>25279188

Does cyborg opinion count?

>Read the Bible and talk to a priest or pastor.

>Read the Qu'ran and talk to an imam or mullah.

>Read the Torah (if you really want; kinda requires Jewish maternity to begin with) and talk to a rabbi.

Even if you reject everything or become a jihadi/Protestant/Orthodox fuckwit, you've at least learned something, OP
>>
For a while I would post on /fringe/ read the kybalion, try to astral project, and was convinced that after death I would spend some time in the astral plane before reincarnating. Now I'm pretty sure it's all BS.
>>
>>25281005
Yup, I agree, although am atheist, other atheists don't understand that the self is fundamental, and believe it has to come second to the movement of atoms, when in reality, all atoms are discovered through the senses and are only made real with the conscious experience, all the scientists who work and manipulate them, what are they doing? they are conscious when they are interacting with them. pretty obvious desu
>>
>>25279188
yes. mostly because FUCK atheists and FUCK radical rationalism and FUCK hating on fantasy, arts and everything creative that fedoras can't bear.
>>
>>25280623
The way I assumed it'd work would be depending on how you die, I mean, if you're shot or something destroys the brain/brainstem you're gone instantly most likely, no afterlife, nothing. Die any way that leaves the brain intact for presumably more than a second or two It'd basically enter an 'eternal' or what you perceive as eternal because time passing would presumably slow down to you dream. Or I hope that's how it works, a personal heaven would be rad. Realistically I welcome the emptiness though too.
>>
Your experiences are uploaded to the god server
Then either your fairy slaves (or perhaps you are their slave? it is unclear) build a new reality for you, or you go back to true consciousness and sit there until you spontaneously conjure yet another reality

We're all tangled up in our own web lads and ladies it's hard to tell
>>
I just hope I can become a spooky ghost so I can spy on people whenever I want and freak everybody out.
>>
Well I started playing the talos principle today and now I'm thinking about philosophical and science fiction type afterlife stuff. I think that it could be possible to live an artificial afterlife, but you would need to be preserved in order to do so, and that's why I'm probably gonna get my body frozen when I die and tell 'em to keep me there until they figure some immortality or some other shit out.
Another thing I think about is reincarnation and how when we die, our soul or whatever tethers us to the physical world by spiritual means transfers into another being, and due to the fact humans shit out more babies than any other species the chances of being reincarnated as a baby or something like that is high. However our memories dont tend to transfer over for some weird reason.
>>
I've got a theory
if after a night of blackout drinking we can't remember the following night and we don't remember experiencing it.
Doesn't the same concept exist for life?
If there is no afterlife, we wouldn't remember our current life and wouldn't experience life. It would be like as if life never happened.
Thus I think there must be an afterlife to remember our life from, otherwise I wouldn't be experiencing it now.
>>
>>25282618
you're already living in ten minutes ago's afterlife
sp00ked

>Thus I think there must be an afterlife to remember our life from
You have a lucky brain that somehow records what has happened in the past and makes it recall-able in the present. Even then it's somewhat of an illusion because you can't really prove that any or everything that you think happened in the past actually did.
Memory really isn't necessary for existence, but it'd probably be really awful without it
When your brain dies, your capacity for memory must as well, unless there's a parallel consciousness that can store memories itself

Maybe I'm not following your logic though
I'm not sure how you went from the second to last line of your post to the last
>>
File: 1447433126236.png (980 KB, 584x1110) Image search: [Google]
1447433126236.png
980 KB, 584x1110
>>25279243
ya no, dreams are just your neurons pleasuring themselves when your asleep so your mind has something to do. that's why when you dream things occur that are on your mind constantly, like if you have been thinking of your crush all week in your dreams you may be on a date with her because your you brain mimics those thought patterns and compliments them.

>>25279258
you don't remember your dreams because your brain needs to optimize billions of neurons to resuscitate those thought patterns, and when your awake those patterns are useless so it slowly drops them.
>>
>go inside Taco Bell for once
>get food sit at a booth
>choke on a piece of a burito
>feel dizzy begin to pass out
>closest I've ever been to death
>no flashbacks, white light or anything, room starts just getting blurry
>finally cough it up

Nah, there's no afterlife. Just a corpse and Taco Bell staff giving your body to EMS.
>>
>>25283950
How fat are you? How messy are your bowel movements? I've seen an obese guy that had shit so explosive it was all over the walls above toilet seat level somehow after a night of taco bell.
>>
>>25284001
I weigh 140, my bowl movements are normal and come regularly. I don't eat Taco Bell all the time, but they are my favorite fast food place.
>>
>>25279247
Like Frankie Boyle said, "when I was a teenager I was terrified of death, now it's the only thing that keeps me going"
>>
How the fuck is this thread so civilised? Reminds me of 2008 /r9k/.
>>
>>25279331
There was a part of you that existed before you will born. It will exist after you die.

You may no longer have any memories or even your name to hold onto, but you'll still be you.
>>
>>25279188
>implying you're not stuck in a finite segment of space-time that completely rewinds after you die
>implying you're not stuck here and now forever
Your only hope is to not repeat your mistakes
idk, an hero doesn't sound like tempting to me
>>
I may not be very religious but I believe in the law of karma. That the law of karma governs all the lives you've had so far, the concurrent and the future. There has been cases where young children remember their previous lives. Although I am slightly skeptical of it, I feel that there is a chance that the few documented cases are true. Simply as the law of karma is adopted both in buddhism and hinduism and both agrees that it runs in our world. And I feel that there is no judge for the law of karma, there is no god that decides how much wrong or right you have done. it is run by its own, by numbers and equations that is decided by the action you have done. The afterbirth considers the actions you have done in your life and how much debt you have paid in your current life.
>>
>>25279188
>>25286216
Even as someone who practices Christianity, I'm afraid this may be the case. Nietzsche touched on the concept at one point about metaphysics and the idea of "eternal recurrence". If the universe is composed of a finite amount of energy/matter we may be stuck in a loop of infinite variations of life. If you buy into it, the belief in a cyclical nature of time shows up across a lot of different cultures throughout history. 3spooky5me senpai.
>>
I recently came back to Christianity but I have a lot of trouble believing in the afterlife so that makes me feel like trash seeing as there's no real "rewards" to being a decent person in this life.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.