[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what came first: the chicken or the egg?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: chocoslice.jpg (103 KB, 450x294) Image search: [Google]
chocoslice.jpg
103 KB, 450x294
So what came first: the chicken or the egg?
>>
bacterial mutiplication
>>
Muh dick mufugguh
>>
>>25274995
The egg, conclusively.

The creature that we know as a chicken came about through evolution, and its ancestors were reproducing by laying eggs LONG before they took on the form of a chicken.

Also, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, it makes no sound. It causes waves of vibration to appear in the surrounding air, but without the presence of a tympanic membrane for those to strike, the sensory phenomenon that we call "sound" doesn't exist, being, as it is, primarily a product of the brain.
>>
>>25274995
the chicken. it takes a hen to sit on and care for the egg for it to hatch
>>
>>25274995
TIme flows in a loop, for the fact that you need a protein to make a protein.
>>
>>25275087
I thought the question implied a chicken egg which would surely mean the chicken came first in order to lay a chicken egg?
>>
Chicken-Egg Dualism
>>25275087
>evolution
When will this positivist meme end
>>
dur rrudrrr. udddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dhrrrrrrrr dur dur hurrr dr. dudddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>25275087
both wrong
try again
>>
>>25275153
>retarded
This is not even a question. The egg either got fertilized by another species, or underwent an evolution
>>
>>25274995
it was the fucking egg retard.
anyone who gets hung up on this question doesn't understand evolution.
>>
>>25275153
Well, if it has to be a chicken egg specifically, then I don't exactly know. I'm not sure how chicken-like a creature would have to be in order for it to be a chicken and not a pre-chicken, and I'm not sure how chicken-egg-like an egg would have to be in order to be a chicken egg and not a pre-chicken egg.

I'd imagine the egg came first, though, since presumably the first chicken hatched from a chicken egg, even if it was sat upon by a pre-chicken. Still, good point.

>>25275194
That response is about as worthwhile as a child screaming "nuh-uh!"
>>
Fish laid eggs before there were chickens around.
>>
>>25275222
>>25275208
these but I think we're being distracted from the important thing here: that product in the op is fucking legit and I want it in my life

>fucking hazelnut strips like craft singles

fucking WOULD man, shit, I want just a brick of that stuff

why is hazelnut spread not sold in solid bricks?!???
>>
>>25275164
when will meme die?

>>25275194
no they are in fact correct

It's been proven already, chicken came first go read the study. Was posted back in 2011.

I'm phd in Math and I hold 9 years of post educational studies.
>>
>>25275087
>Also, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, it makes no sound. It causes waves of vibration to appear in the surrounding air, but without the presence of a tympanic membrane for those to strike, the sensory phenomenon that we call "sound" doesn't exist, being, as it is, primarily a product of the brain.
that's not true, sound in fact does refer to those mechanical waves in the air (or other fluids) and not the perception thereof

concepts like "noise" rely on perception or informational nature, but sound itself does not and is in fact a very important concept for fluid dynamics (in general, the normal maximum speed of propagation any volume of fluid will be the speed of sound in that fluid unless special measures are undertaken to force that speed higher. hearing this "sound" does not matter to the fact that the fluid only can move so quickly)
>>
>>25275308

>t had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first,"
>>
>>25275372
Oh. Well, in that case, the answer to the question depends upon how "sound" is defined, and it seems like my definition was wrong.

Still, though. The answer is pretty obvious if we define our terms and know how auditory perception works.
>>
>>25275208
>underwent an evolution

Surely you mean mutated, right?

If the egg mutated to yield a chicken then the egg wouldn't have been a chicken egg, would it?
>>
>>25275153
I always figured it wasn't so much "which necessarily came first" as "how do you define chicken-ness" because if a pre-chicken beast (we'll call it a raptor just to avoid saying "chicken" too much to be readable anymore) laid the egg that became a chicken, it wasn't a chicken egg, it was a raptor egg. however, the raptor birthed from that egg was different enough from its parents that whatever threshhold we defined to make it no longer a raptor but a chicken has been reached, making it a chicken hatching from a raptor egg in a completely reasonable situation

it's just the old heap problem, but in reverse. instead of how many grains do you have to remove before it is no longer a heap, but how many genes do you have to change before it's a new animal.
>>
>>25275308
>I'm phd in Math and I hold 9 years of post educational studies.
and yet your still retarded. good job nerd. chickens came first because there wouldn't be an egg without a chicken to lay it.
sound is not the shit we hear, but we developed to be able to hear sound.

enjoy your worthless degree faggot
>>
>>25275436
This. This guy actually gets it. "Threshold" was the word I was looking for.
>>
>>25275436
But species is quite well defined in biology in that if the "new" chicken would not be able to mate with the raptor and produce fertile offspring then it would be considered a new animal. So a chicken is the only animal capable of producing a chicken egg but a chicken could come from a raptor egg had it mutated enough.
>>
the chickens. dumbasses.
>>
>>25275438

Are you honestly contradicting your contradiction?

Next up, what is pseudoscience.

>employed
>worthless degree
>has no degree to begin with
>>
>>25275570
you can't even read. stay mad nerd

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>25275300
>>25275222
>>25275208
>>25275087
These.
Anyone who doesn't say egg is mentally challenged

>>25275087
>Not knowing it should DEPEND how far you are from the forest
>>
>>25275603

So you implied egg produced a new line of species?

Time stamp and post your school of graduation great sir. Also, tell us your course of study.
>>
>>25275087
Nobody implies human. An animal could have heard the noise ya know. :^)
>>
>>25275509
>But species is quite well defined in biology
the question predates modern biology and its concepts afaik

also it's less "how much do I have to chance" and more "what is a chicken or chicken egg in the first place". it is an egg from a chicken or an egg that will hatch into a chicken? does it necessarily have to be both? is the respodant gonna be a smartass and say "you never said chicken egg, so of course it's eggs first!"? or are they gonna be a weirdo and insist that chicken-ness is a wider concept than biology says it is, so it might predate the egg because there was some simple organism that reproduces by splitting that he chooses to call a chicken for whatever reason?
>>
>>25275429
it would since the chicken came out. do you call a turtle egg because the turtle layed it or a turtle came out
>>
>>25275675
>So you implied egg produced a new line of species?
no - chickens lay eggs, sometimes new chickens hatch from these eggs. pretty simple stuff no?
linguistics masters, no timestamp cuz i'm visting my parents over the holidays
>>
>>25275730
>it is an egg from a chicken or an egg that will hatch into a chicken?
>>25275769
I never thought of it like that, thanks for the insight brobots
>>
>>25275769
>take chicken egg
>make omelette
>hurr they're omelette eggs
>>
>>25275902
To be fair, an omelette is something you make out of egg. It doesn't emerge from the egg.

Egg comes out of Eggs.

It's like the "do toasters toast toast" and it's like, no, not unless you're a moron who likes eating burnt bread
>>
>>25275816

Linguistics, interesting. There is a lot to study and I guess you're better than I at formulating a complete thought.

Happy Holidays to you sir.
>>
>>25275943
and to you

may knowledge bring you peace of mind
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.