[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: 1425413011436.jpg (351 KB, 1095x924) Image search: [Google]
1425413011436.jpg
351 KB, 1095x924
Do you think enlightenment exists? What do you define as enlightenment?
>>
Yes. Realizing that you will never know anything, aka losing all faith, of which, faith, is just a synonym for ignorance. Agnostisism btw.
>>
Yes.

It is a term religious leaders dispense to their followers in return for concession of their dogmas.
>>
>>25274736
For instance, >>25274711, where anon is willing to dispense enlightenment to whoever concedes the dogma that 'we will never know everything'.
>>
Transcendence is better than enlightenment.
>>
>>25274522
I don't know. I'd like it to, I feel that if I work through my own issues I'll be free of them and accept the world for what it is. In my eyes that's a former of enlightenment, but might not be in others'.
>>
>>25274764
It is more so the lack of a dogma really. There is a gramatical paradox you are not realiozing.
>>
>>25274818
First, your here personal declaration doesn't change the general motives behind the term 'enlightenment'.

Second, 'avoid all dogmas' is a meaningless dogma itself and reflects no understanding of anything. (While being able to connote anti-intellectualism.)
>>
>>25274522
OP image source is No-Rin.
>>
>>25274779
Well golly gee , do you think transcendence exists, and what do you define it as?
>>
>>25274853
In other words, 'I understood I could always be wrong' is a huge red flag.
>>
>>25274764
he's right tho, see eastern philosophies and religions, their enlightenment basically resolves around living a simple life, i.e. there's no meaning in chasing anything greater
>>
I would say it's when you remove all wants from your life. If you truly don't want anything, you literally can't be sad.
>>
>>25274910
And this is not hamfisted anti-intellectualism how exactly?
>>
>>25274853
>>25274879
I'm sorry anon, but I don't think you know how gramar works.
>>
>>25274941
Please explain my mistake.
>>
>>25274920
>the middle path fallacy
>>
>>25274970
Do you know what means? Because I can't see how that relates at all to what I said.
>>
>>25274933
>many different great men get at the same conclusion about life without ever having contact with each other and through an entire life of studying and introspection into the human condition
>b-but m-muh science
>>
>>25274953
If you avoid all dogmas, then you cannot be following a dogma of course. Grammatical paradox. Being agnostic means not getting your leg pullled, really.
>>
Enlightenment is a gaining of awareness or wisdom that alters your perspective of the universe forever
The goal of gaining enlightenment is to gain freedom
>>
>>25274993
You evoked 'removing all wants'. But queried further, you'd say that an essential aspect of it is being watchful for the point where 'letting go of wants' leads you to 'excessive' passivity and failing to pursue your goals which you should be passionate about. Namely, that you 'should only let go of desire insofar as it makes you miserable'. Which is exactly the middle path fallacy, namely advocating a highly harmful tendency, 'to let go of desire', whilst rendering it unassailable and harmless by definition through the pitiful caveat of '...but in moderation'. Which is evasion of discussion, which Buddhists ought to but never will be notorious for.

>>25275025
'There is value in simple life' is also the m.p.f., a reflection of a shift in personal priorities which people should really know better than to confuse for an objective truth.
>>
>>25275084
>insofar as it makes you miserable
*insofar as it doesn't
>>
durrrrrrrrrrrr dur duruddrrrrrrrrrrrr durhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh durrrr durr.dhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr durrr durr durrfhur
>>
>>25275084
You're putting words in my mouth bruh
>>
>>25275027
>If you avoid all dogmas, then you cannot be following a dogma of course.

It is a dogma in the sense that people are emotionally attached to it, find value in it, and it is used as an appeal to ignorance ('how can you know? you can always be wrong!').

>>25275129
With the mentality you displayed in this post, there would literally be no teachers.
>>
>>25274855
>do you think transcendence exists
Yes.
>what do you define it as?
Better than enlightenment.
>>
>>25275163
This guy's head is stuck so far up his own ass. Bet you be sniffing your own farts bruh lmao
>>
>>25275203
'Y-you should learn some humility! D-don't be so sure of yourself!'
>>
>>25275163
But you could always be wrong. That's the point. Getting people to reconsider things.
>>
>>25274522
Enlightenment is essentially being red-pilled, but not in the typical hateful way people on /r9k/ and /pol/ think.
It's certainly not never ending happiness, but there's a degree of satisfaction to it. There isn't a feeling that goes with enlightenment, and it isn't something you can just attain spontaneously. Enlightenment is something that most people reach (if they reach it at all) in their later years of life. It's essentially being "at peace" with the world. That doesn't mean you know everything at that point, in fact I dont think you really have to know much at all to be enlightened. It's an outlook on life. It's realizing the ignorance of others but not resenting them for it.

>inb4 r9k toxicity saying I think I'm enlightened.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (23 KB, 586x782) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
23 KB, 586x782
Yep, they exist. And they sure are a pain in the ass.
>>
>>25275203
>>25275239
In other words, you're committing the necessary-sufficient fallacy. Incorporating the possibility of another person being wrong is a necessary condition for there being a remark, but it's not sufficient -- you also need a fucking argument actually disproving me. That's the part religious people forget about.

>>25275245
>It's essentially being "at peace" with the world.

This warrants the term 'enlightenment' in strictly no way.
>>
>>25275217
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings...
>>
>>25275339
It is fine. The more cries of 'you could always be wrong' there are, the sooner will people catch up to their irrelevance.
>>
>>25275332
Agnosticism isn't a religion you silly.
>>
>>25274779
pass into the iris, brother
>>
>>25275375
Look at mr. smarty pants over here. Now this is a dude everyone can look up too
>>
>>25275377
>thinking a self-declaration doesn't make you religious

Religion is defined by crab mentality of 'you can't know for sure', crab mentality of 'enlightenment is just living a simple life', crab mentality of 'understanding intellect is not everything', crab mentality of 'there is always a broader context'.
>>
It's an arbitrary definition that is subjective to every person. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist (see love, happiness, etc).
>>
closest i will ever get to enlightenment is the day where i finally arrive in the island nation of japan

i will probably mentally achieve a state of euphoria i won't even reach on my wedding day

i just hate the labyrinth i'm stuck in right now. Fuck. It truly is a world of chaos when you can't find a way to get to your goal or reach your dream and all you see is dead ends everywhere
>>
>>25275410
what's crab mentality defined as?
>>
>>25275410
It's a philosophy actually. Grammatically the lack thereof, but paradoxes ensue if you think about it too long, of course. It's the lack of a philosophy, and the lack of religion, because you'd need faith in a philosophy or religion, and agnstoics do not blelieve in things.
>>
>>25275475
Empathetic (populist) desire to misequate.

'You're no better than the rest, because you too are at times proven wrong.'

'You're no better than the rest, because you too are emotional.'

'Your claim is no better than the rest, because it too is only valid in a certain context.'

'Your goals are no better than the rest, because they too are arbitrary.'

'Your language is no better than the rest's, because it too is limited.'

Essentially elevating the incompetent through stressing the abstracted shared qualities of the particular cases wherethrough to judge competence.
>>
>>25275566
>>25275475
In fact, it is just sour grapes. Funny it took me some time to notice it now.
>>
>>25275566
Just because you're probably a triggered christian, I am going to tell you that you got dubs.
>>
>>25275664
I'm not a Christian. Christianity partakes in it too, but hardly with the vitriol of Buddhism.
>>
>>25275699
[sighing intesifies]
So you're a buddhist? Is that what you're implying? Your still someone with faith, what's the difference between wanting to be buddha like, vs christ like. SSDD really.
>>
>>25275788
>actions in []
Anon, plz.
>>
The biggest myth to ever exist. The Enlightenment as we know it was a circlejerk of arrogance, only praised by modern empiricists because their understanding of history and knowledge is nonexistent.
>>25274711
Except everything you believe in is a faith, you arrogant manchild.
>>25275513
They do though, you moron.
>>25275664
OMG FUCKING FUNDIES WTF THERE IS NO FUCKING GOD HOLY SHIT I AM SO FUCKING SMART AND ENLIGHTENED
>>
>>25275913
No they don't have faith.

Agnostic means you're not sure if there is one.

Agnostic means not believing anon.
>>
>>25276025
Yes they do, do you not know what faith is?
My goodness you are a basic bitch.
>>
>>25276046
Faith and belief are synonyms. People just love to bulllshit themsleves. An agnostic knows nothing because an agnostic does not believe in things. To be fair, most agnostics are not militant like me.
>>
>>25276151
Except they do, you moron. You believe in many things.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.