[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Our results potentially challenge the accepted view of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: CWpv1VeVAAIwkZe.png large.png (869 KB, 1024x1240) Image search: [Google]
CWpv1VeVAAIwkZe.png large.png
869 KB, 1024x1240
"Our results potentially challenge the accepted view of depression as a functional and fully reversible illness, implying instead that more permanent brain changes may be associated with chronicity."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9828995
>tfw you are becoming even dumber over time
>>
M8 you have to having a wiz
>>
>>25267035
KEK
/r9k/ BTFO
>>
plasticity theory is harder to deny
If anything, its just your brain over time getting more skilled at being depressed.
>>
>>25267035
they didn't even say if the people who recovered from depression had any problems
>>
File: wEJ55qB.png (135 KB, 1621x989) Image search: [Google]
wEJ55qB.png
135 KB, 1621x989
>>25267035
It can't be helped.

https://imgur.com/a/O3YVx
>>
>>25267035
It's not reversible when your only treatment option is to talk to some asshole or swallow some pills.

Guess why people are depressed? Because they have no hope. They have no future. They have no friends and they have no girlfriend. But yeah no one is 'entitled' to those things right.
>>
>>25267035

How long would such a development take?

If I make friends as a 24-year old, do I have the chance to recover?
>>
>>25267757
>entitled in quotes
You aren't, faggot. You deserve nothing and if you can't get them you're a waste of space.
>>
>>25267797
>just world fallacy
>implying people who get those things "deserve" them
>>
>>25267797
Some people have physical problems or are poor so for them we have welfare, which I pay for with tax money. Entitlement? No, human decency.

Some people have psychological problems, for them we have nothing other than the drainer. No human decency because 'it is all between your ears'.
>>
>brain chemistry simply alters for no apparent reason at all
>fuck causality stupid goy.. I mean sophisticated guy: Have these pills to help you numb yourself, there's no reason to search your inner self
>>
>>25267832
That's how natural selection works. Deal with it.
>>25268008
Everyone can't afford to give free things to people out of "human decency". It's impossible. The people with "psychological problems" are clearly inferior just like those with physical problems.
>>
>>25268426
>natural selection
>natural
You have no idea of what that means, do you ? It's been a while since the western world experienced any kind of natural selection event.
>>
>>25268491
>natural selection exclusively includes natural disasters/environmental pressures
Nope. It also includes who people pick for partners based on sexual desire.
>>
Wasn't it shown though in a Harvard paper that physical exercise is almost as effective in combating depression as antidepressants?

I've been thinking for a long time that these increasing rates of depression are tied to the increasing rates of every other health problem. It's not a genetic thing, it's like if your car sits in the driveway for years and years and then something rusts and corrodes and it doesn't run correctly.

I still agree with the anon whose wall of text said euthanasia should be legal. If you're not entitled to NEETbux and you're not entitled to employment, you should at least be able to check out.
>>
>>25267710
1. hippocampus is related to memory, not 'thinking outside of the box' - what a pleb statement
2. amygdala is related to memory too, fear etc.
3. oxytocin is by no means so significant
4. shizoid schizotypal antisocial - meme words for psychologists to enrich pharma
5. who gives a shit about empathy, assuming what he read is true, which probably isn't
6. the most important parts of the brain are the parietal lobe, frontal lobe, - the higher cortical functions, the ones you use to solve problems, language, patterns, 3d etc etc.
7. anon couldn't solve the problem because he was a shitty physicist

you should really try to use your brain to read up on the brain instead of posting 3deep5u pleb tier popsci stuff

0/10 stop posting garbage pics and confusing people around here

medfag
>>
>>25268550
the increased rates of depression, adhd and other disorders are the work of corporations wanting to earn Maximal profits

euthanasia should not be legal at least if you mean doctors assisting it(which is the kind most people mean when they say the word), as that goes against their duty
>>
>>25269322
thank you for this

comment literally cant get any more original
>>
>>25267035

Chill.

Dumb people are happy. You simply lose enough IQ that you're no longer depressed.
>>
neuroplasticity is a thing.

your brain gets used to thinking in patterns, the neuropassageways that get used more gain strength and you're more inclined to think in that way.

If you make an effort to change the way you think (through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Dialectical Behavior Therapy) you can strengthen new passageways and use those instead, improving your depression.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.