[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has counseling actually ever helped anyone? Could it actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1429557864594.jpg (194 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1429557864594.jpg
194 KB, 1280x960
Has counseling actually ever helped anyone?

Could it actually help me?
>>
File: 1444993631250.jpg (7 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1444993631250.jpg
7 KB, 252x240
Threadly reminder that therapists and counseling are 1) for normies with no introspection and 2) people who refuse to accept facts. Going to counseling literally proves that you're logically braindead. Take 30 minutes to lie down and reflect on your life instead of shilling out shekels.
>>
>>25260444
no but getting a psychiatrist and drugs does
>>
>>25260513
This. Therapy only works if you're a normie who needs someone to whine to, or needs encouragement. All a therapist is going to do is listen to you bitch, then tell you to "Put yourself out there," and "Bee urself." Which only works if you're already normal and likeable.
>>
File: destroyed_pepe.jpg (24 KB, 303x309) Image search: [Google]
destroyed_pepe.jpg
24 KB, 303x309
I went to counseling and 2 therapists, made me much more suicidal plus the antidepressants they gave to me stunted my growth I hear.
>>
>>25260573
>>25260513
So what, I just need to make sure whoever I see has an Rx pad?
>>
>>25260444

no it hasnt but i think it did when i was like 10

--sdsdfsdf--
>>
>>25260587
>no but getting a psychiatrist and drugs does

A psychiatrist is a "doctor" and can prescribe drugs. A psychologist/therapist is just a guy with a degree, and cannot.
>>
Depends on the therapist, there are some good ones that might give you some insight and a different(helpful) perspective on some things.
>>
File: 1450223540301.png (86 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
1450223540301.png
86 KB, 229x220
>>25260582
>he fell for the anti depressant meme

zap

ZAPPPPP

oh I'm sorry!
>>
>>25260444
Counseling? nah, what are they gonna do man. They were like "oh okay you try hopeless attempts at online businesses, thats good enough." Just paraphrasing but that was basically my result man. Depression is impossible to fix, you can only create a work-around lifestyle at best.

Phsyciatrist helped, I only took the pills cuz I was in a 'cornered rat' situation, parents wanted to kick me out. But I wouldn't do that again, the side effects were too brutal, and the pills can really mess you up. I gained a significant amount of energy from the pills so I am more active but they took me off them and my energy is not what it was when I took the pills. Still better than before though.
>>
So from what I gather, there's no point in seeing somebody who can't prescribe drugs, but prescriptions just make things worse.

So really there's no help at all?
>>
>>25260444
It really depends. You need to find a therapist/counselor/psychologist that either specializes in what you're having problems with or that you "click" with, i.e., they're able to talk to you in a no bullshit, friend to friend type of way.

You'll need to do a lot of therapist shopping, you'll go through 3 or 4 before you find someone that is good.

If you just want pills, you'll need to see a psychiatrist. Basically the same criteria as above, but you want to find one that doesn't just want to dole out prescriptions and call it a day. You want to find one that takes a more therapeutic approach, one that listens to your problems and analyzes them holistically rather than cherry picking symptoms out of what you say, slapping you with a diagnosis and prescription, and sending you on your merry way.

Lucky for me, I found a psychiatrist like that. I'm still looking for a good therapist, but that's more because I'm too lazy to call around to therapists and make initial assessment appointments.

Also, psychiatrists are doctors, they're supposed to diagnose and treat illnesses, so their method of treatment will involve medications and some procedures (ECT, TMS, etc.). Psychologists and counselors aren't doctors and their goal is to more or less help you help yourself, they're not licensed to practice medicine, they're only licensed to give advice.
>>
>>25261184
statistically just seeking therapy improves odds for a more satisfied life.
The issue is that psychological issues are a result of years of environment, mental, and physical pressures that define your 'world'. This is also why antidepressants are basically 50/50 chance to help at all, why some drugs will just make you feel even worse, and others seem like a godsend.
Its not an easy fix, therapy is pretty much a slog and I've seen many people who go through years of it and never change. The only difference is when the person themselves puts in effort to change, and begins to believe in a different future as well as taking different actions in their daily lives that they truly change.
The system itself isn't really designed to 'cure' you, its designed to 'help' which is why people will go through a good amount of therapy for minimal results.
The true therapy is exercise in reality.
Its like getting experience on the job, the more you do a job the more you understand and the more you believe you can handle in some way.
Thats why therapy/drugs are not really a good option unless you've run out of things to try in the real world because they quickly exhaust their effects or simply have no effect.
It really is 'Fake it until you become it" from every sense of the phrase. Its hard to accept for most people with mental illness but the truth is that unless you are taking an active role in your life your mental existence remains the same, which you never liked.
A lot of people don't 'feel right' when they are doing things that actually help them so they return to the pain they know without realizing the future benefits they could reap.
This is why kids who go to college turn into party maniacs or sluts, they no longer have the pressure of their parents so they have to fill that void with something else.

For anyone dealing with mental illness, I would suggest to start doing something, anything, that might lead somewhere good in the future.
>>
>>25260444
if you mean counseling psychology it didnt, I dropped it after a month
Im not even sure it did anything or was supposed to target the issues I had

group therapy was also useless shit for me

you millage may vary
>>
>>25260444
So I actually have a degree in psychology, and I think that the field is complete bullshit.
>>
>>25260444

Didn't help me. All I got was generic Facebook tier advice.

Medication on the other hand is great. It chills me out and I can think without feeling anxious for the first time in my life. I have no problems meeting new people anymore, can plan for the future etc. Feels good man.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.