[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vandwelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1974-Chevy-Van-middle-room.jpg (74 KB, 650x435) Image search: [Google]
1974-Chevy-Van-middle-room.jpg
74 KB, 650x435
Anyone else living in a van? I converted mine for my senior project 3 years ago and have been driving around the U.S. since I graduated highschool. Staying in Slabcity for the Winter. I have some decent stories if anyone is interested.
>>
Do u carry a gun?
>>
>>25259633
Not at first, but I got one after some junkies started hanging around my shit at night.
>>
>>25259614
Yeah i'm interested. Why did you chose to live that way?
>>
>>25259614
What is Slabcity? Is it down by the river?
>>
How many times has it broken down? How much goes into repairs each night?
>>
how do u pay for gas and maintenance ?
>>
>>25259614
Have you fugged any Kristen Stewart qts yet?
>>
How do you pay for gas? Ever got robbed?

Slabcity is pretty fucking cool. Enjoy.
>>
>>25259836
>how do u pay for gas and maintenance ?
this
>>
>>25259672
what type of heat you packing there buddy?
>>
>>25259754
Partly from curiosity, partly from avoiding responsibility.
I came from an extremely wealthy family, there was alot of pressure for me to do well, got to college etc. I barely made it through highschool without killing myself, whether or not the concern was legitimate or not I doubted at the time that I could ever survive college, so one day I just told my parents I was going to live in my project van and left before they could talk me out of it. I've enjoyed meeting new people, being able to think, read, have time to myself. I feel like a human being- I don't feel so fake anymore. I do freelance web design and fiverr gigs to keep myself eating, but there's plenty of food in the slabs if you know where to look- especially this time of year, when there are snowbirds left and right.

>>25259756
Google it, there's alot of interest about it online. Basically its an off grid community of hippies, addicts, old people, and bums. Most just stay for the winter, but despite how hot it gets I think I may stay for the summer, I really like the people here.

Sorry if my responses are a bit delayed, internet could be better out here.
>>
You're literally living my dream.
>Do you sleep rurally often?
>Do you fuck often?
>Is it as cozy as I imagine?
>Is travelling constantly fun?
>>
>>25259614
I've always thought about doing this.
Tell us your stories. I'm extremely interested
>>
>>25259812
Surprisingly enough my rig has never broken down or given me any trouble. Probably just jinxed myself but whatever.

>>25259836
>>25259890
>>25259875
Like I said, freelance shit and fiverr. If I'm really strapped for cash I carry around a pack of balloon animals with me- that's actually saved me a couple of times, believe it or not. You can always count on a kids wanting stupid shit. Only been robbed once.

>>25259967
>As often as I can, usually stayed in national/state parks when I was on the road.
>Not frequently but holy shit girls are whores out here, you do have to be careful though.
>More so
>Mostly, but you can get tired of driving from time to time, that passes quickly though.

>>25259985
Will start typing some stuff up
>>
>>25259836
>>25259890
>how do u pay for gas and maintenance ?

3rd'ed and how do you sort electricity, heating, toilet, showering etc.
Got any more pics of that van?
>>
File: van lyfe.png (487 KB, 614x461) Image search: [Google]
van lyfe.png
487 KB, 614x461
I'd appreciate pics of your rig, op
>>
How small a van do you think you can get away with?
>>
>>25260080
Worth mentioning I do do a fair bit of odd jobs on the side, usually stuff I find on craigslist when I'm traveling, but here people know to come to me if they need something done or help with something. Pretty much works on a barter system out here, I do work for people for food, I have about $500 locked up in my van that I keep on hold for gas. I've got some good friends out here so the junkies don't bother me too much.
Out here I just shit in the desert, I have a portable shower I hook up to my van when I'm traveling, but while I'm here I just bathe in the canal. My van is pretty well insulated, but when I get cold I have a space heater and a solar battery
>>
>>25260162
I'll take some later and come back, I'm at an internet cafe with some people.
>>
>>25259614
I'm getting thrown out in March and I have nowhere to go. I'm planning on flying out to San Francisco and hitch hiking around. Do people in slab city tend to welcome people? Would it be a good place to check.out? Just curious
>>
OP is living my dream. Someone posted this a long time ago, and I've been jealous ever since.

http://imgur.com/a/20H3B

When I moved out to CA a few years ago I stayed in Salton (Ray & Carol's Motel) and thought about visiting the slabs.

I'm really uncharismatic though, and I feel like you need to be charming to make it outside of society. If the other outcasts don't accept you, you're fucked; ad I doubt they would accept me.
>>
>>25260256
I would honestly not recommend hitch hiking alone. Guys have told me stories that have scared me shitless, its not just a myth, people are fucking crazy and you could get raped or worse. As for slab city it depends, you need a guide, honestly, at the very least bring beer. Junkies are fucking crazy, getting you tires slashed is getting off easy- WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT FILM ANYONE, there are some crazy fucking people here and every year as I've been told, hoards of curious vloggers flock in and try to start filming, I've heard stories of people's cars getting torched because they were dicks about or impolite. Just be curious, respectful, and above all else carry a gun, the slabs can be a really neat place if you use common sense. Honestly though I wouldn't recommend coming in March, it gets extremely hot here in the spring summer, population goes from 2000+ to a little over 100.
>>
>>25260387
*I meant courteous, sorry, I'm retarded.
>>
>>25260324
Just bring beer. I had the same fears, people out here really just don't give shit.
>>
>>25260387
Thanks for the advice man. Idk what I'm going to do but who knows might turn up there at some point.
>>
OP here, these guys are kind of community figures, they post videos every now and then if anyone interested in the slabs wants to check them out.
Cornelius Vango (Kind of like me- her van broke down here like two years ago and she just never left.) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3SpI_QxJvaPb9S2IiU0JQ/videos

Coz
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmLRPr2ph66SWa-fKzANVgw
>>
File: 1445857462362.jpg (55 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1445857462362.jpg
55 KB, 680x680
>>25259614
>stole your van
>so they stole your house with every shit you had
At least they can only stole my shitty car not my entire house
>>
Is this thing possible in the UK where there's no slabcity and snowbirds?
>>
>>25259614
Interesting thread. I'd like to hear more about the van.
>>
>>25260627
The UK is so small I wouldn't really see the point.
Mainland Europe is another story though, that would be fucking sweet.
>>
this is literally my dream.
but first... I have to work long enough to get the money to buy and convert a good enough vehicle.

in my state you do not need a special license to drive a vehicle that weighs under 8 tons. I'm gonna buy a short bus and trick that shit out.
>>
>>25262247

Somewhat on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpeYOWK3l9E
>>
File: 400w-cpotato-couch-dude.gif (120 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
400w-cpotato-couch-dude.gif
120 KB, 400x301
>>25259614
Serious questions:

>How do you power electronic devices (brand of battery or whatever)?
>Where is power source stored?
>How often do you need to charge power source?
>How, and where do you prepare food?
>Where do you store food?
>Any pics of sleeping space in van?
>Is pic really your van, or just an example? If it is an example, can you post pics of your actual van interior please?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.