[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni fails
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20151221_005703.jpg (974 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_005703.jpg
974 KB, 4160x3120
share any retarded fails that you guys are finding out about. ill start.

>be me
>first year engineering
>be a complete retard and slack off the entire semester
>sleep through classes all the time
>day before exam i take a shitton of caffeine pills and stay up all night but barely study at all
>end up failing math (calc 1, which i had taken in grade 12 in AP already) and just barely passing a couple of my other classes
>can't take two of the required engineering courses for next semester because i have to repeat fucking calc 1
>somehow am seriously thinking about transferring to a maths degree

pls no bully ;-;

now its your turn
>>
>fails
>;-;
>engineering
Normal pls go
>>
>>25238255
eh same thing happened to me but from what I know more than half the people that take engo end up dropping out eventually so at least you didn't waste too much of your time.
>>
>>25238255
>>be me
>>first year engineering
>>be a complete retard and slack off the entire semester
>>sleep through classes all the time
>>day before exam i take a shitton of caffeine pills and stay up all night but barely study at all

holy shit are you me anon
i fucking failed two classes my first semester i deserve death
>>
Mate... if you can't handle engineering undergrad don't waste your time with a math degree.

Civil engineer undergrad Construction Management post grad here
>>
>>25238980
Idk man, I started in Mech. Eng, slacked off for a semester and a half and failed introductory physics classes, switched to math and am doing great in it so far. A math major is probably an easier major than an engineering major just because the courseload is typically quite a bit lighter. The thing is, most people don't fail anything because they can't do the work, they fail because of lack of motivation to do/understand it which usually comes from lack of passion for the material. I just found out I like proofwriting and the abstract world of math more than designing and the concrete world of physics/engineering.
>>
>>25239115
OP here, and i feel pretty much the same way. would you recommend the switch?

the problem wasn't that i did enjoy the subject its was more that i never even attended classes and somehow expected i would remember everything from last year for the midterm. i did none of the homework, never studied and didn't even attend all the quizzes, i guess i thought id be able to carry myself with my long term memory. bad call definitely.
>>
>>25239409
Ahahaha you want to pursue the math degree and didn't even pass calc 1?

As someone who was a math major, good fucking luck in analysis, complex, abstract algebra, topology, PDEs, etc., basic undergraduate shit. You are going to bomb so god damn hard.
>>
>>25239409
If you want to switch because you genuinely care more about math than engineering: go for it.
If you want to switch because you want to do engineering but want something easier than engineering: don't do it.

You also have to recognize that unless you pair a math degree with something more applied (CS, Finance, Econ, etc.), the job market will be a lot smaller than it would be if you had an engineering degree. And if you really aren't passionate about the subject, you're still gonna do bad and a bad math GPA (or whatever you use) will be magnitudes worse than an awful engineering GPA.

Don't listen to >>25239444, though. I got an A in Calc I but I failed Algebra 2 my freshman year of high school. Sometimes it just takes some people longer to get their shit together and properly motivate themselves.
>>
>>25239536
i'm not really worried about the difficulty, i believe in my intelligence. i passed calc 1 in grade 12 with an A anyway, it was just because i tried to reply too hard on memory from taking it then.

im more worried about what you bring up: im very interested in learned about math and the theory behind math, but i am not sure about the application or which field i would actually be interested in working.
>>
>>25238255
>Fails Calc1
>Wants to do a Mathh Degree

You do realise Calc 1 is the easiest shit ever, Maths Degrees atleast outside of Burgerland get exponentially more difficult

>Tfw 98% in Single Variable Calc and 100% in Multi-variable calculus
>>
>>25240192
to someone with the grades you have this probably isn't imaginable but i often did not attend class, did not complete any of the required homework and missed several quizzes. the only studying i did were the nights before the midterms and the final.

as i said a post of mine above, i passed calc 1 (with an A) already in highschool, i was trying to wing it from memory.
>>
>>25240239
I don't want to sound harsh, but if you're that kind of student, do a social science degree or some shit.

You don't realise how many people drop out of Maths for a degree.

The "Le smart but le lazy" meme is a myth, if you're genuinely smart you don't do that shit
>>
>>25240285
if im smart enough to do decently with that level of effort i think once i get my act together im and get into the studying groove ill be fine.

and "le smart but lazy" might be a myth but smart, depressed and unmotivated insomniac is not a meme. i spent the semester in bed all the time but sleeping during the day after crashing and burning constantly.
>>
>>25240382
Kind of know your feel
Go on anti anxiety meds, make me more depressed, go on anti depressants, make me para, OCDs fucking me over, all I really have is studying and vidya. Good luck to whatever you do decide to do anon and

Merry Christmas
>>
>>25238255
Dude I was in your position last year.

I transfered from an engineering degree to a maths degree. I feel so much better, whenever I solve a maths problem; I feel like I'm at much more peace at myself.

Engineering was meh. It had a lot of matlab, douchebags, and group projects.

I failed linear algebra because my mathematical intuition is weak. Gotted straighted A+'s in all other classes.
>>
File: 1444198923461.gif (2 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1444198923461.gif
2 MB, 256x192
>be me
>be 18
>passionate about Business Analytics
>lots of mathematics and programming
>choose it as my major
>first weeks were a breeze
>exams on calc 1 and intro to programming come up
>feel like they have gone well
>fail both of them horribly
>lose all motivation
>can't switch majors anymore
>have to wait until next year
>have to sit out the whole year from my parents
>hate every day i go to uni to classes

Fucking hell, i went from passionately motivated to no motovational and depressed as fuck in only three months.
>>
>>25241073
>lose motivation just because you hit one bump
Come on dude, everyone fails at their shit sometimes. There is always something you can do to remedy the situation.
>>
getting close to graduation and I failed one or my classes. good thing it won't affect when I graduate but sad part is that the more I studied the lower my grade got. hope my next professor isn't an arrogant fuck
>>
>>25238947
Holy fucking shit that is my exact position

>failed chem and programming
>failing programming was completely avoidable had I submitted my assignments on time and already had them completed
>>
>>25238255
>Be advised to take a filler course in my second semester
>Take said filler course
>next year keep seeing bill for 4000$
>Keep asking financial aid office what its about they keep telling me nothing is wrong
>get notice I am being sent to collections
>Get run around from the school going to offices everyday
>Start slacking in classes because of stress trying to figure out what happened
I late figured out after going to the same office several times that the class I took wasn't in my major so they charged me for it AFTER the semester was over and didn't inform me.
>Basically empty all my saving to pay the bill so I can sign up for classes next semester
>Take D's in every class I was taking (never failed an engineering class and my gpa was 2.8)

>Academic probation
>No financial aid, but the only way to bring gpa back up is to sign up for classes
>Had to get 2k this semester
>No where near my goal
>Have to sit out next semester and still can't find a job

Fuck my life and I can't even get any undergraduate positions for Electrical Engineering. All I see are entry level IT positions in my area. Thinking about switching to information systems or something because the jobs seem more plentiful. But I am already to far in EE and I suck (never really tried) programming
>>
File: wake_me_up.jpg (32 KB, 605x146) Image search: [Google]
wake_me_up.jpg
32 KB, 605x146
>>25241317
>pic related
>Wish I was dead or the trains I take derail and I die quickly everyday

Especially the dying on public transit part. At least then my parents could sue and get some of their money back on the shit heap I turned out to be.
That one fucking class ruined my life man, and everything was going so according to plan.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.