[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are VNs a good way of escapism? ive tried animu shit and vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: VN.png (1 MB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
VN.png
1 MB, 1280x722
are VNs a good way of escapism?
ive tried animu shit and vidya but that doesnt seem to work anymore.
VNs are sometimes so obnoxious and cliche, how do people even play this for hours?
>>
>>25224883
what title is that
>>
>>25224883
I don't know. I tried getting into into Grisaia and I'm about four hours in so far. All the girls just seem retarded and some of their voices are really annoying. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it.
>>
>>25224883
By playing ones that aren't shit. Katawa Shojo says hi
>>
>>25225320
Grisaia really sucks bro
Michiru route was alright
>>
>>25224883
try KS and fate/stay night
thats the good shit
>>
Yeah vns are fucking great senpai. Specially everything by Nitroplus. Saya no Uta, Demonbane, Steins;gate, etc.
There are a lot of them that are pure shit, but that's normal. Most of the ones in the reccomendation chart in the visual novel general in /vg/ are worth playing.
>>
Which VNs have the most choices? I don't like the linear ones, I feel like I may as well be watching the anime.
>>
>>25225008
Iinazuke wa Imouto-sama!
>>
>>25225340
well after i finished the route of best girl i was done with it.
hanakofag here
>>
>>25225405
check vndb.org, they have really good filters.
>>
>>25225383
Are the Demonbane VNs even fully translated?

>tfw nothing beats ever17
>>
>>25225557
Yeah, I think. I haven't finished it yet but I dont remember seeing anywhere that the translation wasnt finished. I wouldnt have downloaded it otherwise.
>>
>>25224883
Try Kamidori Alchemy Meister, is a mix between VN and strategy game.
Really good but also long
>>
>>25226003
This. Kamidori is fucking cash.
Sengoku Rance is pretty good too and is also a mix between vn and RPG. That usually turns out well.
>>
>>25225340
>KS
>Good after the first act
How's high school treating you?
>>
i don't know, the cliche is what gets my mind off, either way katawa shoujo is nice
>>
I hate VNs. All those great character designs wasted on half-baked interactive media.
>>
>>25226035
Yeah the rance series is pretty good. Actually most games from Alice Soft and Eushully are top tier.
But they are too fucking long and complicated to translate so most of their games are untranslated
>>
File: 1446175078218.gif (1 MB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
1446175078218.gif
1 MB, 440x247
>>25224883
I prefer interactive stories over VNs. More choices and exploration.

Like you said, VNs are plagued with cliche characters and the stories are very formulaic.
>>
G-senjou no mauo

Fate/Stay night (much better than the anime)

Katawa shoujo , as previously stated its a masterpiece

All key games , especially rewrite , clannad , little busters

Kara No shoujo

If your into one with more sex scenes and actually attractive girls I would reccomend the Maji-koi seriies , Wanko best girl

Lastly I can back up the recommendations for alchemy meister , fun game.
>>
>>25224883
Try reading Fate/Stay Night
and Umineko

If you like Fate/Stay Night, try reading anything else associated with Type-Moon, it's a great universe perfect for escapism

>Fate Stay Night (the first route is boring as shit, but it pays off towards heavens feel)
>Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
>Tsukihime
>Kagetsu Tohya

After that, you can start reading the novels with

>Fate/Zero (avoid the anime plx)
>Fate/Apocryhpa (Best thing on the list, not fully translated)
>Fate/Strange Fake

There's also a couple games out there. Melty Blood is pretty fun, and there's also Fate/Grand Order on mobile, but unless you can read moonrunes its only purpose is for collecting waifus.
>>
>>25226207
>Forgot Kara No Kyoukai

Smh, secondary inbound
>>
play huniepop, it was one of my life's greatest experiences
>>
Has anyone here played If My Heart Had Wings? Is it any good?

>>25226339
thats like a dating game not really a VN
Also Audreys a whore
>>
Does Monster Girl Quest count?
Even if it doesnt, everyone should play MGQ once. I dont get why it's never mentioned in visual novel discussion. It's at least related.
>>
>>25226390
as well as a drug addict, and yet managed to be the most decent character
>>
>>25226414
Loved MGQ. Felt really empty for a few days after I finished the 3rd part. Have you tried out the new MGQ Paradox RPG?
>>
>>25226582
I haven't even heard about it. I'll check it out. Sometimes I get the feeling that MGQ is underrated but everyone loves it so I just assume people dont talk about it cause they assume everyone else already played it and liked it.
>>
>>25226456
how come? Beli aiko and tiffanny are far better than her.
>>
>>25226456
>>25226390

I guess you could say Audrey is the least worst if you set aside the fact that all of them are whores, I was just considerably more amused by her than any other girl

Otherwise I liked Tiffany since she's the quintessential Stacy I can never have but almost to her own detriment (since it gets people like me interested) acts uncharacteristically innocent. It was also based that her stripper mom was dateable and she was resentful of her

Since hp isnt a VN, ill drop the recommendation of saya no uta. Quality music & writing, no obscene number of routes, some of urobutcher's best work desu
>>
>>25226708
>It was also based that her stripper mom was dateable and she was resentful of her
I thought they removed that part from the game? They were trying to make it less complicated and more casual
>>
>>25224883
After a while you begin to question why you're looking at these cartoons and pretending these cartoons are real.

and then you can't enjoy them anymore.
>>
Katawa Shoujo is good. You start out expecting lewds and get hit by a brick of feels.
>>
File: guishen_0599ev307c_x1_5.jpg (167 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
guishen_0599ev307c_x1_5.jpg
167 KB, 1200x900
You have to play good ones, most of which aren't translated to English because most translators would rather work on chuuni shit.
Pic related is top-tier escapism. All the girls are well-written and likable, and you build relationship with them slowly over time. None of that "it's not like I like you or anything b-baka" or you fall face first into her vagina shit. Just you bonding and getting to know about the girl you're most interested in and slowly falling in love.
>>
>>25224883
It depends on what you like, ther are tons of VNs.
If you into harem shit try Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort. Its translated
>>
>>25226390
It's alright. Characters are decent but the plot is a little boring.

I highly recommend Euphoria, english patch just came out a couple weeks ago. Total rollercoaster ride of emotions. A couple words of advice though: some of the sex scenes are gross but it's not fetish shit. It's meant to gross you out and desensitize you. And make sure you keep on playing until you get the true route, use a walkthrough if you need to. If you only play one of the regular routes you'll feel very unsatisfied.

Comyu and G-senjou no Maou are good if you want a serious plot. Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, Princess Evangile, and Osananajimi wa Daitouryou are good if just want fun weeaboo shit.
>>
File: 1422766743444.jpg (11 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1422766743444.jpg
11 KB, 255x255
>>25224883
>are VNs a good way of escapism?
short answer: yes

long answer: _______yes_______
>>
>>25226976
i tried to learn japanese just to be able to play vns and some jrpgs. lasted like a month lol.
>>
>>25224883
Play Grisaia no Kajitsu
Katawa Shoujo makes you cry, Grisaia does real emotional damage
>>
>>25228460
I am a turbo autist so I stuck with learning Japanese.
>>
>>25225450
thanks senpai, I came many times
>>
>Ace Attorney
>Zero Escape
Everything else need not apply.
>>
>tfw the most fucked up sexual fetish VNs that appeal to me will never be translated
Fucking bullshit.
>>
There are some days I go without talking to anyone outside of family, I feel kind of guilty for playing VNs for too long. Something about it just reminds me how lonely I am. good escapism though
>>
>>25231591
Tell me about your fetisch anon.

>tfw no feet vn is translated
>>
File: dXU080J.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dXU080J.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Noble Works english translation was just released today
It's supposed to be cute as fuck
Gonna start playing it right now
>>
Oh, and VNs are the best
Yes, their stories are cliche.
Yes, they are full of stock characters.
But they're the best form of escapism out there.
VN girls are so much better than real women
>>
monobeno translation when?
>>
>>25232690
Never, unfortunately. Nobody has an interest in translating something that's illegal in a handful of western countries.
>>
>>25232749
>drawings
>illegal
>>
>>25232917
>implying normies can distinguish between drawings and reality
It's going to happen sooner or later.
>>
Not really. If you don't like animu or vidya I don't know why you think combining them would work.
>>
>>25224883
I dont know about you but for me old VNs are the best.
Try Kangoku Senkan Hidou no Sennou Kaizou Koukai or Come see me tonight
>>
>>25224883
>how do people even play this for hours?
by playing good ones.
>>
>>25234600
oh that pic reminded me of nekopara, worst shit ive ever played
>>
>>25226414
>updates when?

I've recently found Corruption of Champions and Fall of Eden bretty fun too.
>started as a petite redhead human
>mfw now I'm a short blonde furry with six giant tits, two knotty dicks, a long forked tongue, horns and tiny insect wings.
>>
>>25226976
any lolis? cowtits are the worst
>>
File: Planetarian_package.jpg (48 KB, 300x442) Image search: [Google]
Planetarian_package.jpg
48 KB, 300x442
>>25225405
>not playing planetarian every christmas
for shame
>>
File: X-Change_2_Coverart.png (208 KB, 256x377) Image search: [Google]
X-Change_2_Coverart.png
208 KB, 256x377
>>25234600
>good ones
>not posting best ones
>>
>>25235004
The first time I played this I was devastated, but I was younger then. I doubt it'd have a similar effect now. It's still worth replaying though.
>>
expanding your mind with shrooms and/or LSD is the best escapism. LSD in some cases might even help you conquer one or more anxieties you have. it really is a life changer. (although, fair warnings, you should not be legit mentally unstable when you take it because that's how the rare violent trip happens. also, it's important to be in a positive stand of mind before tripping because being in a negative or depressed state of mind + psychedelics is bad news bears)
>>
>>25235083
It's still expensive and harmful if abused. There's nothing wrong with abusing eroges and they're free and you can kill all your time with them. Best form of escapism if you're into it by far.
>>
>>25234600
is that lets meow meow?
>>
File: JUST.jpg (154 KB, 557x595) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
154 KB, 557x595
>>25232511
>VN girls are so much better than real women
>>
File: C0v -v2.jpg (88 KB, 640x455) Image search: [Google]
C0v -v2.jpg
88 KB, 640x455
Ayy a chance to use this pic.
Murry Christmas from the greatest love story(s) ever told.
>>
>>25235519
Aeka best route.
>>
>>25235409
and is there anything wrong with that statement?
>>
>>25235853
it made me realize how pathetic is redpilled I was since I believed you
>>
>>25235944
Thats when you know there is no point of return anymore
>>
>>25235944
That's not even redpill, that's just common sense.
Real women are human and therefore flawed, while 2D is designed to be perfect.
They write every single character route in a visual novel with the goal in mind of creating a perfect love story that would never exist in real life, with the ability to avoid any "bad ends" if you want to.
Normies might claim that it's sad and delusional to like cartoon women more than actual girls, but they are the delusional ones for believing that true love actually exists when women are selfish, fickle creatures.
>>
>>25225340
Kill yourself normie, or at least go back to Reddit.
>>
>>25236776
There's a lot of reasons why VNs/Anime girls are attractive.
1)Distance from them, you don't have to actually talk or think about them, the MC does all the work.
2)Story arcs and tone usually mean that nothing bad happens. If you like that sort of thing there are games like that, but usually you can feel an inevitable sense of romantic satisfaction
3)you're already focusing on another reality, so even if there are issues like wars or shit going down it has nothing to do with you
4)the girls are designed to cater to you, so its rare that you get a girl in the medium who will do things like find other guys attractive, be a bitch, do stupid crap(unless for laughs). Usually there is some sort of hurdle for the MC to clear to 'win' the girl but that only makes it more satisfying

The problem is that you need a great deal of concentration and a willingness to forgo your reality to get to the hynotic state where you are drawn fully into the game world. Once you reach that state, your life, body, etc seem like trival things so when you return there is a depression like getting off a drug that can occur if you really got into it.

Reality has the advantage that its hard to run away from, so I think it's necessary to cultivate a minimum amount of satisfaction in your real life(job, some friends, purpose, good environment) to fully enjoy a proper escape like a VN because otherwise your brain will send danger signals like 'I just can't do this all day!"

Then there's burnout, which always happens. Its a very horrible feeling if you have nothing else in life so thats why having other shit to do is important.
As for real women, I know /r9k/ is just simply at a level where they can't handle a real relationship but you might want to think about small socializations with women when you can. Since jacking off to 2D all day makes you feel like a loser no matter who you are.
>>
>>25236978
Socializing with women only bought me hardship and sadness back when I tried to be a normie.
Since I started getting into weebshit, I've actually been a lot happier overall and had a better quality of life.
You can definitely feel a bit burned out if you're doing nothing but reading a VN for days straight, because yeah, you can get way too immersed for your own good.
But just a couple hours a day, as long as you have some other hobbies, aren't really detrimental at all, and I think it's a lot better for your mental health than obsessing over women.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.