[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can depression irreversibly change your personality or way of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (582 KB, 1382x919) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
582 KB, 1382x919
Can depression irreversibly change your personality or way of thinking?

I'm not claiming to be depressed; a lot of people abuse the word. During the past 8 years where I felt like this, I noticed a change in the way I think or perceive situations. Now I feel like I have developed a really low-level way of thinking. For every problem I come across, no matter whose, I can usually see its core and it becomes so banal, to the point where it's ridiculous to further think about it. It doesn't just apply to problems. Normal, every day situations are also coated in a thick layer of cynicism. I'm not expecting to feel joy about them, but neither am I expecting this grumpiness. Has anyone been in such a situation with a confirmed diagnosis? Did it change after you got "healed"? Do you get your normal way of thinking and personality back?
>>
I feel the same way anon, I've been suffering from major depression since 12, I'm 21 now and every social situation or conversation is so transparent now
There's never a pure conversation, all I see is manipulation and people trying to get something or influence something out of talking
Talking is more of a game now than something interesting, all I see is people using other people with their words
There's always an ulterior motive and I fucking hate talking to people now because of it. I didn't always think like this, but now everything feels like a ploy
>>
>>25216285

Same here. Glad I'm not alone, but God it fucking sucks
>>
>>25216285

That sounds slightly worse. I won't deny thinking about that, but I'm almost scared of admitting it. Seems like that's the last obstacle, after which you can't go back any longer.
>>
>>25216252
It causes irreversible brain damage.

http://sciencenordic.com/depression-can-damage-brain

Sorry anon.
>>
File: rei=me.gif (1014 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rei=me.gif
1014 KB, 500x375
>>25216252
The way you feel about the word can change your brain patterns, synapses and even your genetics.

So yes, being depressed by years literally changes you.

Enjoy.
>>
>>25216641

Only skimmed through it, but it confirms some of my suspicions. One of the comments:

> I struggle with simple math, especially when put on the spot
At least I have a possible explanation and excuse for this now.
>>
If you continue the behavior long enough that it becomes something you do without thought, it can be a very bad thing.
>>
>>25216777

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_neurogenesis#Implications_for_depression

Gotta stay out of fight or flight mode for as long as possible, and focus on learning shit you find interesting.
>>
>>25216285
Same here. I think this is probably transparent to anyone with half a brain though.
>>
holy fuck this is /b/ not /faggots/
kill yourselves
>>
>>25216944
Lobby for legal voluntary euthanasia, work on destigmatising suicide amongst wider society.
>>
>>25216252
>Do you get your normal way of thinking and personality back?
I'm not necessarily healed, but I found that when I got off my antidepressants I found a lot of things to be really pretty, but that's probably because of random spikes of chemicals in the brain.

I honestly can't say if it permanently changes personality yet but it does feel like it leaves scars
>>
>>25216991
I've thought about this for like 8 years now and my brother and I discuss it often. Not the dude you're replying to but I'd definitely be all for it. Are there currently any groups around working towards this (not right to die societies for the terminally ill)?
>>
>>25217060
Not as far as I know.
Stigma's too heavy.
Gotta work on destigmatising it first. Discuss it with peers and colleagues in an objective way.
>>
>feel bad for a long time because bad things happen constantly

>still acknowledge and avoid/get annoyed by those bad things

it's not nearly as flowery or deep as youre making it out to be, its no different from anything else you'd learn as an adult
>>
>>25217078
>Discuss it with peers and colleagues
Yeah... that would go over like a lead balloon. How would one even start talking about that? "So, about suicide..." I mean if it did come up around when talking with the few friends I have I'd state my opinion but never with colleagues... they all think I'm weird enough as it is.
>>
>>25216252
depression is simply realizing the truth, that life is pretty shit and you don't matter. its pretty hard to come back from that
>>
>>25217318
I agree with this and have always thought the same. It's hard to be cheerful when you see life for what it is. But then again I guess there are people who are depressed over breakups etc. and I've been there too. So I guess we're talking about more general depression.
>>
>>25217386
yeah, but the strange thing is, if you start taking new pills and hammer out insane excercise every day you do get new thoughts and concentration back. the thoughts are still there about life being a waste, it just doesn't matter to you. its almost like depression breaks down the "delusion centre" of the brain, which we need to live.
>>
>>25217421
I know what you mean. I'm not one for exercise (I'm pretty sure my anxiety works as natural aerobics) and don't take anti-depressants anymore since I can't do my work on them but I just try to keep busy with anything. Usually programming, if not for work after hours then some side project. Bu yeah I know exactly what you mean about the "delusion centre" of the brain being necessary so we all don't just lie down and die.
>>
>>25216285
What are you trying to get out of this conversation?
>>
>depression
>real disease

pick one
>>
>>25216252
More like >>25216285 and>>25217421
Combined but kinda worse. Its like I can see and expose the faults of everyone and physically I am no more attracted by anyone. Loli is all thats left for me, I will get one in my basement when I finally settle down.
>>
File: Pitt_et_Willis.jpg (23 KB, 332x384) Image search: [Google]
Pitt_et_Willis.jpg
23 KB, 332x384
Depression is habitual thought patterns. Its a loop you get stuck in.

Getting better starts with identifying all the negative thoughts you have for what they are: maladaptive and unusefull.

Like this anon implies, >>25217318
Part of depression could be an existential crisis, realising one's role and importance in the world is minimal and inconsequential.

But that is no reason to simply give up or give into the negativity.

The roman emporer Marcus Aurelius has a good deal to say about this

>If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

>In he morning when thou risest unwillingly, let this thought be present- I am rising to the work of a human being. Why then am I dissatisfied if I am going to do the things for which I exist and for which I was brought into the world? Or have I been made for this, to lie in the bed-clothes and keep myself warm?

You can acknowledge that the circumstances are shit, accept it, and then things become easier for you to work towards a better tomorrow. Life above all else is an EXPERIENCE, stop thinking of it as this timeline of where you've been or where you're going. That tends to depress people the most. Stop thinking about your lives and just fully experience what is happening at the moment.
>>
>>25217303
Start by discussing chronic terminal illness, quality of life vs quantity of life.

Talk about the nature of existence, of external input being filtered by processing layers.

Commiserate with those who have chronic mental illnesses. What's real for them is their reality. Must suck to be trapped in that.

Talk about dopamine and neurotransmitters, how natural pleasure and pain are just drugs shuffling between cells in your brain.

Wonder what quality of life a person who is permanently lacking in those key areas might be expected to attain.

If there's no effective treatment available, what quality of life do they really have, if that's their existence?

Question the morality of forcing a person in that situation to go through the motions of existing to continue, with no foreseeable effective treatment available that won't form a debilitating addiction.

You know, stuff like that.
>>
>>25217652
I agree with you... it's not a real "disease." It's just a different mindset, personality, whatever and families are prone to having the same thought patterns due to dna and stuff so it's labeled a hereditary disease. Being melancholy and having a pessimistic outlook about life shouldn't be labeled as wrong and shouldn't be confused with sadness over a life event as well. I've been "clinically depressed" for as long as I can remember and a psychiatrist I saw for years said my "depression scores" were off the charts. But it hasn't stopped me from getting 2 degrees with top grades and finding work. I worked full time for 5-6 years before going back to school too. I'm no expert, just my 2 cents.
>>
>>25217706
Good advice anon. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>25217652
enjoy this (You)
>>
>>25217749
Eh, talking to a few people here and there wouldn't do shit. There aren't enough people who give a shit or think about it. It would have to start as some online community or something.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.