[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I have depression >I have anxiety Fuck off with these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: 1431472886208.jpg (38 KB, 510x491) Image search: [Google]
1431472886208.jpg
38 KB, 510x491
>I have depression
>I have anxiety
Fuck off with these meme illnesses
Why is sadness now called 'depression' and worry called 'anxiety.' They're not real illnesses, it's all part of this special snowflake world we've become where people can't be blamed for their own problems anymore and can't be expected to make things better because they're a victim of circumstance
>>
I've been actually diagnosed by a real doctor to have Social Anxiety

Do I still live in a special snowflake world where because I'm afraid to order a pizza on the phone and have to starve is simply "a way for me not to be blamed" for not buying the pizza?
>>
>>25212535
I've been diagnosed with GAD and I still think it's bullshit
What was called being very shy is now called Social Anxiety

It's a way of labelling things for pharmaceuticals and therapists to make money out of things that wouldn't have been considered things that needed any kind of attention, either medical or psychological, until very recently
>>
Yeah psychology is mostly bullshit.
I just admit to myself that I'm the kind of person that gets sad and is negative a lot.
>>
>>25212424
>You come here
>You tell us what we already know, (normies don't understand and never will)

You, just like the vast majority of the normies, have a closed mind. You think just because its not happening to you, it doesn't exist.

Well. Go on. Keep on talking about things you don't know. It makes you look smart /sarcasm.
>>
File: 45654tghf.png (84 KB, 250x256) Image search: [Google]
45654tghf.png
84 KB, 250x256
>>25212666
This isn't a very compelling rebuttal.
>normies
Why are you still using these meme-words when it's nearly 2016?
I doesn't even mean anything anymore.
>>
>>25212691
Yes it does
It's like the word white and robot is the world black
They are 2 completely opposite things and each are used as a marking way to tell you that they are not the other
>>
Bait. Obvious bait. Ignore.
>>
File: 1445129543458.jpg (76 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1445129543458.jpg
76 KB, 519x600
>>25212753
Triggered "depressed" cuck detected
>>
after being very very very sad and wanting to die for many years i cannot listen to anyone ever say "im so depressed" i dont care who says it or why i will simply immediately smack your shit into the dirt
>>
>2016
>mixing up sadness and major depressive disorder
>not knowing about biological causes for major depression
Gr8 b8 m8. I r8 it 8/8.
OP gets 8 points for making me reply.
>ib4 muh world conspiracy
>>
I know this is a bait thread, but OP might be right in a twisted way

Words like "depression", "anxiety" etc are just useful tools that psychologist use to categorize mental states. Nothing else.

You should never ever fall into the trap of thinking of them as identities, or part of you.

Every time someone thinks to themselves "-I- am depressed", "-I- have anxiety", they just cement the subconscious idea that depression is just who they are, rather than an ailment that needs to be fixed. They become less motivated to change and fall into victim thinking.

You see it too much on the internet these days; Mental illness as an identity. It's a dangerous trap.
>>
>>25212580
There you go, a reasonable opinion. It's not social justice garbage or retarded parents for the most part. It's simple economics and advertisement. Industries that previously got fucked over by media and politics now exploit media and politics to make profit at the expense of consumers. You can turn any human function or behavior into a problem solved by "therapy" and drugs, and claim that it's just like treating cancer or Alzheimer's.

You also have to admit that most people here aren't just naive losers, they are saying this shit as a cheap cry for attention. There's no physical proof of or solution for "depression" or "anxiety" beyond just getting over it, so it's very easy to discuss it openly without getting called out on bullshit problems like if mommy asked you to take out the trash and you were too lazy.
>>
I used to vomit every day before being placed on anti-anxiety meds. my stomach lining is damaged for the rest of my life.
>>
>>25212813
>implying anyone on earth can describe a single biological cause for depression, which is not even a biological function or property
There's no conspiracy, it just used to be called sadness and in extreme cases it was the blues or being a miserable soul. Fuck off you retard
>>
>>25212424
I'm bipolar. I don't know if I'm depressed or just sad, but during random times of the day, I get a surge of grief and have to fight the urge to kill myself.

Probably just mentally ill.
>>
>>25212424
>sadness now called 'depression'
Depression isn't sadness. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and most of the time I don't feel anything. Emotionless. And when I do, it's generally anger.

There are many different types of depression. But I will agree that it's a meme for some people.
>>
>>25213321
>some
Even in your case it's a fucking meme you dipshit. You don't have to be a cartoon character whose heart jumps out of his chest for steak dinner to be normal. You just described an ordinary dude with maybe selective memory about being angry.
>>
>>25213268
You have all the knowledge on the matter on your fingertips in the internet, but you have chosen to create a bait thread. Nice time manegment, senpai.
>>
>>25212424
I argue its more so a society predicated on the basis that technology will enhance human experience can defer its manifold failings back onto the populace it is meant to benefit. Nobody wants to admit important technologies like the internet are creating addiction and dysfunction rather than solving all the problems of the world.
>>
>>25213356
>knowledge
>on the Internet
A bit ironic to say this shit after claiming there is any knowledge to the causes of depression. You are literally every teenager on earth right now
>>
>>25213268
>it just used to be called sadness and in extreme cases it was the blues or being a miserable soul.
There's no mental disorders. It just used to be called being posessed by Satan.
>>
>>25213348
I don't understand what you're saying tbqh. Do you think I'm trying to categorize myself as MUH SPECIAL SNOWFLAKENESS? Just trying to say that there are some states of mind, wether you want to call it depression or not, that are not normal. When I'm talking about having no emotion, I mean towards things that normally would give rise to certain emotions. For example, in my case my mother was very ill with cancer and it didn't affect me in the slightest even though there's no reason for me to be cold in that regard to her.
>>
>>25213400
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_of_depression#References
Took me like 5 seconds to find you something to read tonight.
>>
>>25213409
>confusing mental disorders with normal phases of fear/sadness and other emotional conditions
I didn't say sadness wasn't a real thing you lunatic, I said depression is pretty standard shit and it used to be called something else. Despite the fact that they hardly do anything and exercise is proven to be more effective against "depression" like 70% of women take anti depressants and don't work out. It's just a money game to present sadness as this illness, that's all.
>>
>>25213445
>says edgy shit about his mom
>I'm not trying to be a special snowflake I swear!
Yeah if you want to call that depression be my guest. I'm sure it clears your conscience and makes life very simple.
>>
>>25213485
>depression is pretty standard shit
Cancer is pretty standard shit
>>
>>25212424
I tried to kill myself because I was hearing voices telling me to do so and I got diagnosed with GAD and depression
Weird how that works
>>
>>25213549
If it was then it wouldn't be all that meaningful when everybody on the internet talks about having it, but at least cancer actually creates problems.
>>
>>25213485
>exercise is proven to be more effective against "depression"
Can you provide some studies on that?
>>
>>25213546
>says I'm trying to be a special snowflake
>I'm posting anon and this conversation will die with thread

You're just shitposting family. I was up for having an actual conversation.
>>
>>25213593
http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-and-depression-report-excerpt

I'm pretty sure anyone who has heard of depression knows that drugs are less effective than healthy lifestyle, so what are you actually asking here?
>>
>>25213585
>but at least cancer actually creates problems
>implying years long low serotonin and norepinephrine levels don't create problems
>>
>>25213594
An actual conversation would be about actual subjects, not your edgy personal apathy towards mommy. You say it's a meme for others while you claim the exact same shit what is your problem?
>>
>>25213641
Nuh, I wasn't saying drugs are effective. Just was interested in the matter. Thanks.
>>
>>25213678
>today I didn't want to get out of bed
>I wrote a cryptic message on Twitter
>this is exactly the same as having my internal organs mangled by tumors
>>
>>25213706
You done trying to b8 now?
>>
>>25213750
No because I want to start arguing about who is truly depressed where we just keep saying the other guy doesn't understand. that's the pinnacle of "actual conversations" about this shit
>>
>>25213736
You've been reading too much shit from normies with "depression". If they are being cunts about medical condition doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>25213778
then why would you call it depression if it's a mental condition that is not just an excuse to be weird or lazy? Most robots aren't any different about it, they just use 4chan instead of facebook
>>
>>25213771
Ok, but that wouldn't have been the argument I made. Look at my other posts.

>>25213321
>I was diagnosed
Never claimed doctors were correct with every diagnosis.

>>25213445
>wether you want to call it depression or not
Simply stating that what I described wouldn't be considered 'normal' by the standards of the majority. If you want to call it being edgy and cop out of a chat then go ahead.

Maybe there was a misdiagnosis in my case, I'm not saying that's not a possibility. But in general, it's pretty silly to say an illness is a meme when there is biological evidence to support it's existence. >>25213468
>>
File: 1448351192443.png (15 KB, 635x773) Image search: [Google]
1448351192443.png
15 KB, 635x773
>>25212424
>not sure if bait or just retarded norman passerby
>>
>>25213830
I can see your point. Normies trying to be special aside, if a person doesn't seek some help after being diagnosed, they just kill themselves eventualy. Or lead misireble life, complaining about it of fb/4ch. Modern society is a victim society, anon-kun.
All I'm trying to say is that not everyone who complains on the interwebs about having depression actually has it, but that doesn't mean nobody has it.
>>
>>25212424
You sound like you're stuck on semantics, normal problem for stupid people. You see, you can call it sadness instead of depression, it still exists.
>>
>>25213064
Best post in thread desu
>>
Daily reminder that everything I've never experienced isn't real and people need to just suck it up!
>>
>>25212424
The only acceptable reason to call yourself one of these things is because you like the meds. Notice I said like, not need.
>>
>>25212424

>why do people call it a broken arm? It's the same thing as a few cracks in the bone caused by pressure or high impact. It's just an easy excuse for someone born into this weak generation that doesn't want to carry stuff.
>>
>>25212535
Yes you little cunt, stop feeling so sad for yourself
>>
>>25212535
>have to starve
too anxious to select a pizza and click 'order' online as well? fuck off
>>
>>25213268
Genetic predisposition mostly, effecting dopamine levels and chemical reward system, it's not complicated ya gimped cluck
>>
>>25214780
It's not just semantics though is it? The way people look at them has changed. Saying you have depression makes it sound like it's not your fault, whereaas being sad implies a cause.
>>
>>25215689
Meant for >>25214471

>>25215574
Depression's more complicated than that, it's not just dopamine
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.