[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here read pic related? Did it have any effect on you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Anyone here read pic related? Did it have any effect on you? I was thinking of giving it a try hoping it'll help me become more of a normie.
>>
>>25205921
I read it. What you need to realize is that this is a book published in the 1930s about how to be a good salesman. The name is misleading. The first half had some okay stuff on how to manipulate people into liking you but as a whole this book is about how to trick people into liking you so you can sell them things.
>>
>>25205972
Basically this. It might help you in the workplace, but don't expect to win any friends or influence people.
>>
>>25205972
>>25206017
Do you have any suggestions then? I really want to become better at social situations.
>>
>>25205921
tl;dr be nice and complement people.
>>
>>25206033
Don't read any books, just start talking to people more. Talk to people on the elevator, or the waiting room, or whatever. Get involved in a group. You might be awkward at first but it's the best way to learn. If you read a book, you'll get paralyzed.
>>
>>25206081
>be nice and complement people
this is a good recipe for when you want people to take advantage o you.
>>
>>25206129
this, reading a book for advice will only make you overthink things more, best thing to do is gradual exposure therapy by starting out just being friendly and talking to cashiers and slowly graduating to talking to people you feel less comfortable talking to. This actually worked for me I used to be extremely shy and overthink every social encounter and now I can talk to pretty much anyone for a good 20 minutes without dropping my spaghetti, longer obviously if I have a connection with that person and enjoy talking to them.
>>
>>25206129
fucking this.

every day on /adv/ it's
>hurr what can i read to get better at talking
>what are some good resources for conversations
>how can i get better at socializing without socializing

drives me nuts.
>>
I've read it, utter garbage

Just a bunch of platitudes backed up with anecdotal evidence, it's Social Common Sense: The Book. The irony is that it's for salesman and this guy was so good he managed to make this a bestseller and convince people it was some kind of redpill. It might help you if you are an autist with no empathy and can't figure out why being yourself isn't working. It teaches you to be a total pushover who will bend over backwards to please people and make them feel special.

If you want to read a book like this, I would suggest The 48 Laws of Power.
>>
>>25206129
I think everyone knows this deep down but it requires you to go out of your comfort zone so people look for short cuts.

When you actually think about it all the other options are nonsensical. It's like if someone asked what book do they need to read to figure out how to play the guitar. If you don't pick up the guitar and play on a frequent basis then you're always gonna be shit at it
>>
Really good book if you actually have no clue how to keep a conversation going.

Asking people questions about themselves and learning how to dance in the art of conversation was my biggest take away from it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.