[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I know that I know nothing" What a pretentious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 289x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 289x400
>"I know that I know nothing"
What a pretentious faggot.

Tell me, why are philosophers so fucking useless? They never contributed anything else than empty phrases that often don't even make sense.
>>
Most philosophers you study in your Phil 101 class were scientists or artisans by trade, and people found them smart and charismatic enough to listen to or record.
>>
>>25197672
I'm not talking about science, I'm talking about philosophy specifically. It's useless and contributes nothing. It's just pretentious fags being pretentious and self-important.
>>
>>25197715
that's the point of philosophy faggot. nothing important comes from it beyond
>maybe there is a gob :O who knows :DDD
>>
>>25197715
philosophy isn't all useless

a lot of useful ideas have emerged from natural philosophy. it's just that once they are proven to be rigorous and/or useful, they become sciences.
>>
>>25197715
Oh sorry mate, I wasn't aware that you read EVERYTHING about philosophy and can objectively call it shitty, my bad mate.
>>
>All I know is that I know nothing

How is that being pretentious? He admitted that he knows shit all regardless of what people thought of him
>>
>>25197639
>being too stupid to understand that insight
>the more you understand about the world the more you realize you'll never know everything

hurr durr
>>
File: 1386878014122.jpg (14 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1386878014122.jpg
14 KB, 180x180
>complaining about useless things on the 4chan NEET comedy hour channel
>>
>>25197780
Except every idea that has emerged from it could emerge from your own mind as well, if you spend some time thinking.

It's useless and you can do it yourself. They hardly had any mind-blowing realizations.
>>
File: 34236736736.jpg (140 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
34236736736.jpg
140 KB, 800x800
>>25197639
>It's pretentious to admit your own ignorance.

Clearly you're reading comprehension is shit. That's a sign of humility.
>>
>>25197811
>people who like to think
>that's useless and retarded. how can i squeeze productivity out of that?

so you're not a philosopher.
>>
>>25197851
>you're

>>25197863
Thinking itself is not bad at all, it's very good. Philosophy is way too overrated though as it is nothing special. Everyone can call himself a philosopher.
>>
>>25197895
sounds like you're a pompous ass who thinks he can get all of his insight from anime image boards, to be honest.
>>
>>25197811
You...truly are an idiot, anon.
>>
>>25197895
Get your Phil paper published then faggot.
>>
If you knew anything about Socrates, you would know it not an empty phrase. It was the truth. Everyone he spoke to had any opinions and ideals, but none of them could withstand his questioning before falling apart. Therefore, he assumed he knew nothing.
>>
File: 1450634119001.jpg (58 KB, 366x350) Image search: [Google]
1450634119001.jpg
58 KB, 366x350
>>25197639
1. Socrates as presented in Plato's dialogues is not Socrates the man. He is a character, and you're not supposed to take him at face value.

2. Many of Plato's dialogues are simply thought experiments, and many of them are implicitly failed ones.

3. There's nothing pretentious at all about that statement.

4. Philosophers, the Greeks specifically, contributed much, much more than empty phrases. Aristotle is the great-grandfather of modern biology, and you can see that in De Anima.

>>25197811
this statement is beyond stupid. First of all, spending some time thinking is precisely what philosophers do, and secondly, no, you probably couldn't have come up with those ideas yourself. You have no clue how much your thinking is influenced by the ancient philosophers.

6. I'd bet money that you either took an entry-level philosophy course or got that quote off the internet, and that you haven't actually read all of Plato's dialogues.

>>25197780
At least one person here seems to get it.
>>
File: monogatari-4-17-head-tilt-gaen.jpg (146 KB, 1360x766) Image search: [Google]
monogatari-4-17-head-tilt-gaen.jpg
146 KB, 1360x766
>>25197639
>Being humble is pretentious
>>
>>25197977
>1. Socrates as presented in Plato's dialogues is not Socrates the man. He is a character, and you're not supposed to take him at face value.
You're not saying that he was just made up by Plato are you? I thought it was pretty clear that part of Plato's works was him literally writing down what Socrates said.
>>
Lmao. I agree with you OP.
Dumb normies think retards like this are "so insightful" and "wise" with their empty crap. Take quotes and put them on their facebook and shit.

If someone like this existed today they'd be called a "psuedo-intellectual".

Anyone who thinks that kid was "admitting his ignorance" is an autist
>>
>>25197811

Bullshit. If its so easy, then how come no fucker on Earth right now can agree what morality truly is and the correct course of action for society to take? And how come it took 75,000 years something as simple as the experimental to be thought of? You're looking down from the shoulders of those you stand on and thinking "I could have got up here easily!".
>>
Daily reminder that the only philosopher worth learning about is Diogenes.
>>
>foundations of knowledge
>useless
Maybe in your job. Ding, fries are done.
>>
File: 1438151411764.png (83 KB, 540x469) Image search: [Google]
1438151411764.png
83 KB, 540x469
>>25197639
Here is some productive philosophy for ya.
>>
>>25198025
No, I'm not saying that he was made up. I'm saying that the actual Socrates is not the character Socrates in Plato's dialogues.

And it's not as though everything in the dialogues is something that Socrates said word-for-word. Yes, part of the dialogues are things that he said that his students wrote down, but they're not exact copies, many of the dialogues are probably condensed versions of many conversations, and they're all fiction. The point of them is not to provide a historical account of who Socrates was or of his words exactly. They're thought experiments.

This is especially obvious in Symposium and Phaedrus, where things that happen are clearly dramatic elements meant to add something to the dialogues (the "seduction" under the tree, Alcibiades' entrance, etc.).

>>25198038
You'll never even begin to understand him if you read only him.
>>
>>25198025
This is bait right? It has to be bait, there is no way that someone is this stupid
>>
The real merit of Socrates in Plato's dialogues was that he often showed people in higher classes of society that even though they were convinced what they were talking about, by asking questions, it was always revealed that they understood little of the issues they were handling. The sentiment is mostly against sophistry, something that would go over OPs head. You might as well kill yourself, OP, if you can't admit you don't know shit.
>>
File: 1383527410820.jpg (82 KB, 775x387) Image search: [Google]
1383527410820.jpg
82 KB, 775x387
stupid ass negroes
>>
>>25198156
Holy fuck, another person actually seems somewhat acquainted with Plato.

You do me proud, /r9k/.

>>25198152
Who knows? It could be the OP.
>>
>>25197809
This desu.
It dosent get any more autistic than this ladies and gentlemen.
The fedoras are tipping left and right
>>
>>25198163
>posts an image labeled science and philosophy
>both are philosophy
Lol
>>
>>25198218
>tries to make a point
>point is completely wrong
Lol
>>
>>25198163
it's very easy to avoid epistemology. and even if it's superfluous or gratuitous, that doesn't mean it is bad
>>
>>25198244
Except that he is, by definition, right.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>25197639
but he is right so,
and you are just stupid
>>
>>25198064
you should kill yourself you fucking incest trash
>>
>>25197851
This.

It's embarrassing how 98% of all posters nowadays have such obscene hubris.

No OP, you are not perfect. No human is.
>>
>>25198038
you misspelled stirner.
>>
>>25197639
Philosophy is a meme, retard. It's been dead for years, and the only people who take interest in it are people too retarded for hard science.

Off yourself.
>>
>>25197639

Because they won the fight against the sophists.

I wish we still had sophoi walking on the surface of the Earth, wearing Fedora and teaching people how to become like them.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.