[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wasn't I born in 16th century Germany? Why not around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: 1444057535445.png (765 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444057535445.png
765 KB, 1280x720
Why wasn't I born in 16th century Germany?
Why not around the beginnings of human kind in eastern Africa?
Why not in the 25th century?

Why NOW?

I feel like this is one of the biggest questions that should be addressed by lucidly conscious organisms because it underpins how consciousness works.

Is it because of pure randomness? Specifically, that the moment of the combination of one of my father's sperm and my mother's egg spawned "me"? That other combinations of human sperm and eggs have yielded other "selves" that are just not me? And I am only conscious of around 80 years of existence because I cannot experience life when I was not alive (hundreds of billions of years ago and hundreds of billions of years ahead-until the universe turns perfectly cold).

Or, is it because NOW necessarily MUST be experienced? We have zero conception of anything before we were born, and were seemingly "poofed" into our current selves. Doesn't that imply that upon cessation of this presence of consciousness, that another one must necessarily come and take its place?

Not reincarnation, but a complete sup-plantation of consciousness. As to whether experience is began again the form of a human being, or as another life form, I do not know however I think the latter is infinitely more likely.

I think the reason why we are conscious NOW is because we cannot not be conscious. If we were not conscious then it would be like before we were born-not staring at a black void or contemplating endlessly in an empty space-but absolute nothingness that is so empty that something MUST necessarily fill the void.

What do you guys think about this? I feel like this question isn't posed enough.
>>
File: tip.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>25186394
>le born too late maymay
epic
>>
And I feel like the reason it isn't posed is because it makes much more sense to wring out every last drop of pleasure our brains can provide for us in every waking moment (and sleeping, too, lucid dreams and supplementation can be utilized to make sleep very pleasurable) than pointless ponder these existential questions. Is debauchery the answer then? Just turn up all the dials and levers on the brain as high as possible for as long as possible because everything is arbitrary anyways?
>>
File: black-guy-with-white-girls.jpg (28 KB, 556x420) Image search: [Google]
black-guy-with-white-girls.jpg
28 KB, 556x420
Shut the fuck up you are in one of the greatest eras of all time...

The era of the
BBC
B
C
>>
>>25186394
>Is it because of pure randomness?
pretty much
>Specifically, that the moment of the combination of one of my father's sperm and my mother's egg spawned "me"? That other combinations of human sperm and eggs have yielded other "selves" that are just not me? And I am only conscious of around 80 years of existence because I cannot experience life when I was not alive (hundreds of billions of years ago and hundreds of billions of years ahead-until the universe turns perfectly cold).
yeah

>
Or, is it because NOW necessarily MUST be experienced? We have zero conception of anything before we were born, and were seemingly "poofed" into our current selves. Doesn't that imply that upon cessation of this presence of consciousness, that another one must necessarily come and take its place?
no

>I think the reason why we are conscious NOW is because we cannot not be conscious. If we were not conscious then it would be like before we were born-not staring at a black void or contemplating endlessly in an empty space-but absolute nothingness that is so empty that something MUST necessarily fill the void.
wish this was true but there's probably just the void on the other end of this life
>>
>>25186466
>void

It's not even a void, though. You experience nothing when you're dead. No hearing, no seeing, no smelling, no tasting, no thinking, nothing. Perfect nothingness.

I don't find that depressing, it's more comforting than anything.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.