[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you encounter shell people? >have no personal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (693 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
693 KB, 1200x1200
How often do you encounter shell people?
>have no personal opinions
>have nothing to say
>just go along with whatever
>have no mental desires, only carnal ones (eating, fucking)
>don't actually think about or consider anything they perceive around them
>see, but don't recognize
>hear, but don't understand

Went on a date with one the other day. It was honestly so awful, like trying to have a date with an animal.

I encounter them fairly often in college too.

It's grating.
>>
Every day, I'm one
>>
being pretty harsh on turtles there OP
>>
File: leah.jpg (137 KB, 375x536) Image search: [Google]
leah.jpg
137 KB, 375x536
I may look like a shell to other people, this frightens me.

PS: I'm absolutely not
>>
>>25186026
Came here to say this.

Proof that I have nothing to say: I've been muted for that.
>>
That's pretty much me actually. I hate being like this.
>>
But how to into being an open
>>
That's how we look to the outside

Inside, it's because we've learned a long time ago that most people are just not worth the time. It's highly probable that you can't tell us anything we either don't already know or don't already have the means to figure out for ourselves. Sharing our opinions often means having the same repetitive conversation with a counter-opinion that we've heard a thousand times before, likely based on nothing but regurgitation of whatever the social trends of the day are. The activities you're interested in don't matter to us, so of course we just go along with whatever, the alternative would make little difference. We appear to not think, see and hear because we've already thought, seen and heard about it long before you ever did, and catching you up is too much effort and will likely receive resistance because you think you're already on the same level.
>>
>>25186115
I don't see it like that. I never have the feeling of superiority in the way you imply.
>>
My roommate is like this. Been living with him for almost 8 months and he has yet to change his routine

>gets home from auto mechanic job around 5pm
>makes a quesadilla and turns on his 22 inch tv
>watches tv while playing solitaire on his phone until about 10:30pm
>goes into room, turns on laptop and watches who knows what until he falls asleep around midnight
>wakes up, goes to work, comes back home around 5pm
>rinse and repeat mon-fri

Feels like I'm living with a fucking synth. On Saturdays, he always, without fail, goes to this one bar on the other side of town with one of his old coworkers. They drink until closing time, then he stops to get food at jack in the box on the way home. Eats the food at our table, pisses, then passes out. On Sundays, he continues his routine from mon-fri.

I have never in my life met a more boring person. Not ever.
>>
>>25186115
I don't agree with this. I found out recently that, for me at least, it's because I'm afraid to be open and vulnerable. It took me forever to realize how closed off I am. I used to think the same edgy thing as you, I just want to get better now.
>>
>>25186007
My mom is one. Whenever she says a political, religious, or anything else opinion, I try and ask her WHY she has those opinions. It always ends in her getting pissed and saying "I just vote republican", "I just follow what the bible says", "I don't wanna talk about this, leave me alone". It irritates her when I try and see why she has her opinions, she views it as an attack. It doesn't bother me that she thinks differently than I do, it just bothers me that she doesn't know WHY she thinks all of this. She has no thought process, she just follows. I can't imagine living like that. I don't understand how anyone can.
>>
>>25186115
That's not it for me. It's because normies are instinctively closed to new things. Whatever deviates they hate just because it deviates. You can see this in people that have no fucking curiosity because curiosity implies learning something new. You can see it in people doing that little disgusted discourse on nerds or geeks or whatever, when they don't even provide arguments for their disgust, they justify it based on the fact it's not standard and they enforce it because there's truckloads of them and they all think the same.
>>
>>25186205

Actually I'm one step above you, having already tried "opening up."

The reason that you're closed off is because you were taught to be through negative reinforcement. The reason you received negative reinforcement varies, but whatever the reason, you've learned that it is not safe to be yourself. And it isn't. You have to maintain a media amount of obliviousness and intelligence to properly function in the world, otherwise you exist without no matter what you do.
>>
>>25186113
>>25186205
You have to get to the point of not giving a shit if someone doesn't like you or if someone is so ignorant that they'll blow you off just because of a disagreement that could easily be conversed or debated over.

It sounds dumb probably, but don't be afraid to be yourself. You don't want or need to be accepted by people who don't like you for you. You'll meet people who will be accepting of you as yourself.
By being open and honest about your feeling and opinions, other people will get a better understanding of who you are, and will filter themselves into/out of your life according to whether they like you or not.
If they don't like you, you need to get that you wouldn't like them anyways.
>>
I pretend I'm a shell person all day because I want to be left alone and go under the radar.
That you meet so many "boring" "non-people" just means people are so repulsed by you that they leave their bodies on autopilot around you.
>>
>>25186308
It sounds like you tried and failed to open up. Step forward and step back, not two steps forward.

But if you're comfortable the way you are, nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>25186007
im honestly not sure if everyone is actually fully human. there are a lot of people that fit into the model you laid out, and i cant accept that we actually posses the same level of consciousness or autonomy.
>>
>>25186355
If you don't want to be social at all or make contact with others, then yeah, it's fine to be closed off.

But I'm talking about people who are social, and aren't closed off. They're just empty when they open up. They've got nothing inside, except for a little rope tied to whatever they're mindlessly following like >>25186282 described.
>>
>>25186308
But you're not above me. No one is above anyone. Seriously, stop with this dumb shit.
>>25186330
Thanks, I've actually been trying these things for a little while and I am slowly starting to be myself and actually talk to people as me.
>>
>>25186414
I'd say maybe everyone isn't fully awake.
They're human alright, as defined by their genes, but their minds just aren't fully turned on.
>>
>don't actually think about or consider anything they perceive around them
>see, but don't recognize
>hear, but don't understand
This is me most of the time. Something can be happening right in front of me and my mind is elsewhere thinking of shit. I think it's a result of consuming escapist mediums for so long, I lost the ability to see the things in front of me.
>>
>>25186282
She sounds like an isfj, who have a high avoidance of arguing and don't like being challenged on their beliefs. She's basically a worker bee/caretaker.
>>
>>25186369

Nah, it's more about what something >>25186330
said

>By being open and honest about your feeling and opinions, other people will get a better understanding of who you are, and will filter themselves into/out of your life according to whether they like you or not.

This is only true if you exist within those said medians I mentioned. If you don't, then it's a constant battle to defend or justify yourself
>>
>>25186472
I mean media, not mediums.
>>
File: 1449630027497.png (148 KB, 599x675) Image search: [Google]
1449630027497.png
148 KB, 599x675
>tfw quiet shell person
>>
>>25186438
>But you're not above me. No one is above anyone. Seriously, stop with this dumb shit.

I don't mean I'm above you in some kind of hierarchical pecking order, I mean I've progressed farther along the path you're already on
>>
>>25186007
I am one.
>>
>>25186515
What makes you think you're traveling the same path?
>>
>>25186424
Sometimes I hold these exact opinions, but I'm pretty sure it's disassociative thought caused by depression.
>>
>>25186515
Shit I read that wrong, my bad. But still, I think trying to actually define yourself is just as good for you as others, why not do it if the alternative is to sit there and be unhappy and stuck in your head.
>>
>>25186537

They wouldn't be here if they weren't.
>>
>>25186574

They both actually lead to unhappiness, that's why a shell will often just sit there, it's the least amount of effort for the same result
>>
>>25186581
What?
That doesn't make any sense.
Many kinds of people will go to the same bar, or the same restaurant.
Same for a board.
>>
>>25186007
>>25186204
"One must choose in life between boredom and suffering." - Madame de Stael

These are people who chose boredom. They will never have their heart broken or become bankrupt and homeless.

To paraphrase it another way:

"a drinking man is often miserable, but he's never bored" - old pisswreck that used to come through a liquor store I worked at every day.

My shrink is trying to funnel me into that life.
>>
>>25186608
But they don't? Th-they can't..
>>
>>25186612

Nah, if they felt at least a little normal they'd be on /soc/ or /b/

If you're on r9k, there's something wrong with you or something that doesn't fit in with the norm
>>
>30 posts with no shitposting
>no 'reeeee's and no normie/women bashing
>actual conversation and insightful posts

I haven't completely lost hope for this board.
>>
>>25186667

They can. Taking part can be extremely unfulfilling because you just don't get the same things out of stuff that "normies" do and they don't want to take part the same way you do, leaving you alone in your thoughts, which you can be that just sitting there and going with the flow
>>
>>25186685
Maybe 2016 will be the year 4chan becomes good again. I've actually noticed that some of the obscure anonymous textboards I go on are becoming more active without decreasing in quality. I've also noticed less shitposting on some boards on here. Maybe 2016 will be the return of anonymous internet culture... maybe...
>>
>>25186673
There is nothing wrong with not being normal.
>>
>>25186809

I agree, but it means you're less likely to find happiness, less likely to fit in, and less likely to be accepted by the world at large

Unless you're one of those lucky autismos who are 100% oblivious
>>
I think of myself as fitting the tenplate you described but if I truly did would I even be concerned with that.. I'm spending too much time worrying about being perceived this way now.

More likely I am just more mellow than most people, I have never gotten into any fights or arguments, but I still have opinions.
>>
>>25186787
What if the whole "normies" thing is a way to make some people who aren't special feel special. The special snowflake. But people are people. Humans. Idk maybe I'm just not a fan of being separated from the rest of humanity. I'm a functioning member of where I live and feel like it's more of a mental barrier than me being different or vice-versa.
>>
>>25186881
I'd disagree with less likely to find happiness.
Normies don't know what happiness is. They're usually pretty miserable too. They try to latch on to fleeting joys and "feelings" of happiness, but they don't know what happiness is itself.
>>
It's very rare for me. Maybe ten times a year do I meet someone with more than half of OP's checkpoints if I'm being generous.
>>
>>25186982

"Normie" is just a catch-all for people with a normal range of behaviour. They don't think too far outside of a certain range, they don't feel too far outside of a certain range, their experiences aren't too out far away from each other, they don't do too much outside of a certain range, they tend to act similarly across social groups, and the older they get the more homogeneous they become.

Most social structures are built around these people, similar to how a lot of tools and hand-operated devices are made with right-handed people in mind. At best it makes operating within their world a regular aggravation, at worst it renders parts of their world completely cut off from us.

And likewise, they could learn to operate something left-handed, but it's easier to do things right-handed and hey, the world already conforms to their standards anyways.

If anything, "special snowflake" is used as a derogatory throw-away so a normie doesn't feel that they are somehow excluding someone just by the act of existing, the same way a feminist will throw around "misogyny" anytime they're challenged.
>>
my coworker (programmer)

>has hour-long conference calls with people on skype all the time
>all he does is quietly mumble "mmhmm" the entire time

I just don't get it, he just accepts all the stupid bullshit he's being told and doesn't even care to provide any real input.
>>
>>25186995

Ignorance is bliss, and being a normie means not thinking too hard about the consequences of their actions, which leaves them open to doing stupid things that give them that fleeting happiness because it makes them feel happy
>>
>>25187153
Well working kind of changes the situation though, you play a different social role, usually a prescribed one.
Plus, when you're working, you just want to get that shit done usually. Minimal complications.
>>
>>25187151
I never thought about it like that, I just assumed otherwise I guess
>>
>>25187153

>I just don't get it, he just accepts all the stupid bullshit he's being told and doesn't even care to provide any real input.

As in, he calls and then stays on for an hour and says nothing?
>>
>>25187180
Good point.
Blox desu
>>
>>25187217
>>25187188
yea he just never really says anything and never really has any opinion, he just accepts "assignments" and just does whatever he's told. maybe that's fine, I mean these guys are indians, and I think that's just their shit.
>>
>>25187390

He doesn't care. Likely just getting through the day so he can go do what he actually wants to do later
>>
File: 1442513442486.png (94 KB, 1435x478) Image search: [Google]
1442513442486.png
94 KB, 1435x478
I thought the same way when I was in high school. People just aren't "there" like you are. There's a George Carlin quote that goes, "just imagine how dumb the average person is, now recognise that half of people are even stupider than that." In that case the feelings make sense. Intelligence has different degrees, and if intelligence is what makes us conscious, can you be more "alive" than another person? Certainly Chad doesn't seem to have the emotional or ethical dilemmas that you do. However, I've recently realised that no one actually knows anything. We can't even be sure of knowledge itself with the munchhausen trilemma. Additionally some people just don't much care for the deeper questions and there's also a bit of a nature vs. nurture argument in there somewhere. You stop seeing yourself as that different once you've been humbled and realise you don't know near as much as you think you do. There are also people way above you, there just are statistically speaking. Even if you are near the top, how smart are we really? We've just now gotten aviation after how long? There might still be a disconnect but it doesn't seem as important when you come to terms that no one really knows shit.
Thoughts robots? Sorry for the book
>>
File: 1447192113146.jpg (22 KB, 480x311) Image search: [Google]
1447192113146.jpg
22 KB, 480x311
>>25187736
>just now
Lol I mean how long did we go before we got aviation? Just pointing out how only recently have we been making "decent" progress.
>>
>>25186034
Highly underrated
>>
>>25186115

I wish I didn't relate to this post.
>>
>>25186007
>in college

A fair few will grow out of it still. Especially any men, the male brain isn't fully developed until about 25. That's when we even out and become real people on average.

If you're doing better than that, great, but don't shit on the people behind the curve.
>>
>>25186007
you mean "turtles"?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.