[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what is the answer /r9k/? Normies can get this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3
File: fakkebook.jpg (49 KB, 676x640) Image search: [Google]
fakkebook.jpg
49 KB, 676x640
So, what is the answer /r9k/? Normies can get this.
>>
Lol, took me a while.
>>
>>25182625

That's what happens when you don't know how to greentext properly. All gets confusing.
>>
word= 4 letters
yet= 3 letters
Although= 8 letters
then= 4 letters
rarely= 6 letters
never= 5 letters
>>
I had to reread it a few times to notice, that's clever.
>>
this is dumb as hell. although is written with 7 letters, it only takes 7 letters to write it. its an 8 letter word in length. rarely doesn't consist of 6 letters, it consists of 5, since r is used twice
>>
>>25182675
WOW ANON ARE YOU SOME KIND OF GENIUS?????? XDDDDDDD
>>
>>25182701
>Asks question
>Gives me shit for answering
I don't need this.
>>
>>25182625
Um, 13?

vieno845tun0e945ute94jtilnehrw38egv
>>
>>25182625
>someone took the time to put this on a tv, take a picture of it, and upload it to twitter
I hate normies
>>
>>25182675
It's actually what = 4 letters.
>>
>>25182625
What tipped me off is that it doesn't end with a question mark
>>
>>25182625
>>>/xkcd/169 applies. (>inb4 xkcd). Such games aren't really clever; an intelligent person is busy enough racing their brain for distinctions between double letters, diphthongs, definitions of containing, historical evolution of spelling, to pay attention to the 'clue' that this sentence is wrong to begin with because it omits quotation marks.

td;dr shit pseudoriddle that penalizes real though.
>>
>>25183055

>miss the obvious
>intelligent
>>
>>25182940

Normies literally do not understand the concept of a screenshot. I work at a Walgreens and this will happen once a week. They'll see something cool on Tumblr or Pinterest or whatever and want a print of it. So they take a fucking picture of their computer screen with their phone camera and bring it in then expect us to make a poster out of that bullshit.
>>
>>25183055
In other words, such riddles effectively ridicule taking things in good faith, thinking that they are legitimate challenges of linguistic/lexical value, while in fact they just 'teach' that one should double-guess every retarded thing one sees.

>>25183115
>thinking I was referring to myself
>>
>>25183138
Normies literally do not understand the concept of sending an output of a program directly over the network. I use the Internet and this will happen thousands of times a day. They'll see something and take a binary, unparseable screenshot instead of piping the browser's memory into a peer connection. And they expect us to open the fucking bullshit images in convoluted formats instead of reading the raw text.
>>
>>25182675
the use of commas is incorrect for those to be valid answers
fucking noralfags
>>
>>25183055
are you autistic
if you were actually clever or smart, you would notice the fact it says "took me a while <X'D" and is clearly some normiebook or twitter or tumblr post, establishes it won't be something you need high intelligence for, but actually, is just a clever meme
>inb4 "nooo shut up fagg im smart k i get things kkk i was thinking about ominatopeia and smart things and considered the emoji and text to a red herring no pls im smart pls D:"
>>
>>25183055
>xkcd
>tl;dr
Hello reddit.
>>
>>25183217
>if you were actually clever or smart

>another poster thinking I was referring to myself
>>
>>25183221
I'm not going to refuse to agree with someone who makes a point just because of other work of theirs. Much of xkcd is horrible and I cringe every time I see Randall insert an obligatory female scientist into every comic. But that particular comic was true.
>>
>>25183140
>one should double-guess every retarded thing one sees.
this is basically the most important lesson for anyone to ever learn about communication
up there with 'mama' and 'ball'
>>
>>25182625
so what's the answer? /dumb/ here btw
>>
>>25182684
This.
"consisting of X number of letters" and "being X letters in length" are different things. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>25182940
>>25183197
this is so obviously something at school or at a lecture or something during a presentation
are you people literally this stupid
do you really have no concept for how the world works
do you really feel better blaming your own retardation on "le normies"?
god this board, fucking ree tBh
>>
>>25182625
This riddle doesn't work in text form; the punctuation implies a single word with variable spelling. This sort of thing needs to be spoken.
>>
It's not my fault the thing used shitty grammar in order to be misunderstood.
>>
>>25183292
>>25182684
>>how many fruits are in that bag
>seven
>>lemme see
>>there's eight
>but two are oranges
>>
>>25183280
No, you don't appreciate that such 'riddles' basically imply 'lol linguistic nerds taking things literally thinking that riddle referred to a single word'. Make no mistake, they are anti-intellectual, suggesting that -- oh, >>25183323, in fact. Kudos, anon, for going against the grain. It basically 'teaches' that someone should always be watchful for hidden 'sense' in texts that are on face value, the only one that should be used, gibberish.

>inb4 a third normie ITT assumes that I consider myself an intellectual
>>
>>25183138
As IT at school libraries, I can say this seriously happens.
>>
>>25183347
This is indeed the case.

'Fruits' can ambiguously mean an instance or a class.
>>
>>25183300
How about you fuck off to reddit you triggered fucking communist scum and take your public education with you
>>
>>25183253
Of course every response you get is somehow an attack on your precious little arguments.
I sensed the reddit tier post and pointed the door for you.
>>
>>25183396
>to reddit
honestly i fucking totally should
>>
>>25182625

got it pretty quickly and i didn't cheat.

i'm good at riddles.
>>
>>25183417
Yea, why don't you get on it right now you stupid normie. You're missing out on the prime upboat season.
>>
>Browsing normiebook
>80% of people can't read this! Share if you're in the other 20%
>literally just some text displayed upside down
>kill me
>>
>>25183353
>>25183323
In other words, that riddle just teaches that punctuation is to be ignored, as well as the healthy expectation for other people to talk of insightful things (e.g., an actual word with a highly varying spelling), which is required to 'get' it. It is basically like telling a child 'hey kid, want to have some fun', and then blaming it for lack of cynicism when it belatedly realizes that this is an euphemism for molestation. Again, it penalizes good faith.
>>
>>25183455
>tfw seeing a faggot getting baited in third person
That faggot is you mate.
>>
>>25183534
GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT YOU STUPID FUCKING NORMIE
>>
>>25183455
>>25183568
this guy ( >>25183534 ) isnt me ( >>25183417
and >>25183300 ) tBh
>>
>>25183532
*In fact*, people with a better command of English are less likely to 'get' it, because they're more accustomed to e.g. omissions of the pronominal subject ('yet [it] is made up'), which are normally rare.
>>
>>25183598
>implying I care
normie scum...
>>
All these fucking losers ITT...
It's just a little clever joke in some presentation, used as a little point during some lecture or whatever that's demonstrating people how to think outside the box or not take things as they are or whatever. I saw this on Normiebook last night and thought "heh, cool" and moved on, just like every other normie that saw this (and got the puzzle). Why the fuck are you having these autistic debates on something so trivial and basic and obviously not designed for 20 aspie losers to sit and analyse.
>>
File: dontgiveaheck.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dontgiveaheck.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>25183598
>n-no that's not me!! I did not make those posts!
>stop replying to him!
>no! my precious identity, my hot opinions!
>>
>>25182625
Punctuation is completely off for what they are trying to say it means, sorry. It's not clever.
>>
>>25183710
>just like every other normie that saw this (and got the puzzle)

Implying the average retard on normiebook would understand one of these 'puzzles' without messaging their friends for the answer then spamming the 'crying laughing' emoji on the picture, pretending they got it alone.
>>
>>25183710
>'It's just a riddle bro, it's just a riddle!'

>not take things as they are or whatever

Again, way to fucking miss the point.

It is fine to interpret things differently *as long as it doesn't require rejection of validity*!! Namely, the sentence in the OP is just *wrong* because quotations, which it purports to be about, must be enquoted. It implies that mispunctuation should be routinely ignored. Or, again, it implies that holding highly important that people like you ask questions literally, 'what is the word that...', is 'not that important' as well. In fact, it even implies that riddles needn't contain a question mark at the end. All it says is 'fuck the established rules'. Which is why normalfags like you like it.
>>
>how do i use commas

that's fucking stupid. there is no answer because there's no question. therefor not having an answer is response and so if you don't 'get it' it's still 'correct'.
>>
>>25183827
In short, it teaches one to be watchful for 'clever' interpretations of cryptic communication while failing to acknowledge the broader point that there should be no cryptic communication to have the ability to interpret in spite of the odds in the first place.
>>
>>25183827

>getting this angry that they failed to get a simple joke the average 12-year-old normie could get
>coming up with all these excuses
>debating this with other losers, just to feel better about their own intelligence
literally why tho
literally what is the point
>>
>>25183895
Congratulations, you are literally the third person in this thread who thinks I consider myself intelligent. The number of times I explicitly said on /r9k/ that I am not is higher than the number of months you are on 4chan.
>>
>>25183827
>>25183884
By the way, people who say that pseudoriddle 'should' be said aloud are wrong too. In speech just as in writing it is necessary to signify quotations with intonation; you cannot imply ignorance when one fails to include in the 'riddle' something rules of communication dictate. *Bending* of rules is clever, *breaking* them is not.
>>
>>25183827
You do realize that just because something doesn't use perfect formal grammar doesn't make wrong, right?
For example:
>using single quotes where you should be using double quotes
>>
>>25184051
You literally just equivocated, implicitly misdefining 'wrong' to mean 'wrong in the respects that practical, non-autistic people (meaning: me) find important'. 'It's not wrong if it's only wrong in the respects abusing which I arbitrarily define as right'. Embarrassing.

Your example is irrelevant; choice of quotes would make no semantic difference. Their complete omission does.
>>
>>25182625
not funny. take it back to normiebook
>>
>>25184111
>non-autistic people (meaning: me)
You're literally getting upset over a joke, you sure that's true?
Also your choice of quotes are confusing because they're implying that you're omitting letters, which is what apostrophes do, hence making your post not make sense
>>
>>25184209
I'm not going to talk at tripshits.
>>
>>25183055
can someone please explain the xkcd I'm a dumb retard
>>
>>25184111
>>25184231
You're making ambiguous shit
like how you're quoting "It" and then "s only wrong in the respects abusing which I arbitrarily define as right"
with some arbitrary text "s not wrong if it" which doesn't make sense at all
>>
>>25184261

3rd word in "the english language"
1 - the
2 - english
3 - language
the "gry" thing is irrelevant, just those 3 words are what the meme was about
it's funny or clever or whatever, however randall seems to easily get triggered about having his super high intelligence challenged, so he made this passive aggresive comic to relieve his aspie stress that he gets from dealing with people who try to have fun or make him look like anything less than the nerdy cuck he is
>>
I'M DUMB I DON'T GET IT I'M DUMB I DON'T GET IT I'M DUMB I DON'T GET IT I'M DUMB I DON'T GET IT
>>
>>25184436
wow it's fucking nothing, I thought there was more to it
at least he ripped his arm off
>>
>>25183995
Although intonation is used to signify quotation, it is not always as obvious as quotation marks are. Even in normal speech, such intonation can be subtle and sometimes not picked up by the listener. Spoken language is far more nuanced and variable, and therefore less standardized, than written. Intentionally toning the "words" with a subtle intonation may be dishonest and misleading, but is not breaking any official academic standards of speech; the omission of quotation marks is an intentional breaking of artificial rules designed to remove ambiguity in text; whereas omission of tone could be interpreted as a natural variation in speech.
>>
>>25184436
isn't xkcd the sole reason this board even exists?
>>
>>25184618
Yup
Thats where the robot idea came from senpai
>>
>>25184577
Irrelevant.

That there are 'no' standards of speech doesn't remove the responsibility to intone quotes as clearly as possible (i.e., as clearly as it doesn't obscure another facet of communication e.g. via volume or pitch). Spoken language is inferior to written, but it's our next best thing.

That said, kudos for at least get my point.
>>
>>25184436
It's a good point though. It's not a clever riddle if you say something intentionally misleading or inaccurate. The "answer" to the riddle in the comic makes no sense, because it would mean that the gry part of the sentence was a non-sequitur nonsense non-sentence.

"That end in 'gry'" is not a sentence. The only way that "riddle" works is if you understand the first part as a complete sentence which makes no sense if you're fluent in English.
>>
>>25185055
>it would mean that the gry part of the sentence was a non-sequitur

Good point. That's what I meant in my posts ITT: that such pseudoriddles teach people that removing a certain aspect of coherent communication is necessary for discerning meaning. It's fighting the symptoms rather than the cause. Science has enough questions to solve without creating artificial, nonsensical ones.
>>
>>25185055

the autism is unreal

when they say "haha it's language", you just say "haha, yeah i see, haha"
that's it
you dont go into an aspie fit of rage that your intelligence is insulted
nor go away and scribble a comic where you act out your fantasies of mutilating someone for making this joke

it's not about winning, it's about having a banterous giggle

it's more of an autism test if anything, to see just how much the interlocutor shits themselves in aspie rage
>>
>>25185133
Translation: 'stop analyzing more than I do'.
>>
>>25185123
In fact, they are highly similar to Buddhist koans, whereby a nonsensical question, such as that of that one hand clap, is supposed to connote that 'language is flawed', as opposed to just the fact that the koan-/pseudoriddle-asker is retarded.
>>
>>25184741
I didn't mean to say that saying it as written wasn't irresponsible. My point was that social expectations from written text are more rigid than those of speech. Take the first sentence; the comma implies that the two thoughts are related, when they obviously are not. In normal speech the distinction between a dependent clause and a new thought are distinguished through timing and tone. Yet, there are persons who in normal speech would have a more subtle difference in their utterances of the two. Were one to hear this riddle spoken as written, he could assume it was delivered by such an individual. Then written word is invariable in this regard. In the end, people are far more forgiving of abnormal speech than poor writing.

Although the incorrect speaking pattern initially leads one to believe the first too "words" are related, said patterns are often lost upon review. Because speech is a temporary communication, one must rely upon his memory of the utterance. Since he does not immediately understand the concept, he analyzes the words spoken, almost certainly losing the less obvious nuances of speech in the process. On the other hand, text remains, and the meaning implied by punctuation is static.

The point of this being spoken isn't so it can be immediately understood; it is to be analyzed in such a way that disregards what is actually said. The speaker needs the listener to imagine a new version of the riddle with proper timing and intonation to get the answer. This is simply impossible with standard text.
>>
>>25185325
I still don't like your basically apology of the riddle, but I'm impressed by your lucidity (considering we're on normiefied /r9k/). Your IQ sounds around 140 -- not telling from *what* you said alone, more from the fact that you chose to address such a minute problem in such (and relevant) detail. Fine, speech might be a medium more contributive to remembering to seek out other interpretations.

Good post.
>>
>>25183353

>tries way, way, WAY too hard to sound smart
>"lol, Not that I consider myself and intellectual, ha ha."

Nice fag. You're no better than fuckers who talk about how big their dick is and then go "it's really average tho haha"
>>
>>25182625
>>25182684
>>25183140
>>25183281
>>25183323
>>25183532
>>25184051
and
>>25184532
see
>>25183039
and
>>25183836

No question => no riddle

Only you autists would turn this into a slanderfest instead of taking a second look and laughing it off.
>>
>>25185644
ITS JUST A PRANK BRO

JUST HAVE FUN BRO

R YU AVIN A FUN BRO
>>
>>25185644
You quoted me twice, and I did mention the question mark in >>25183827.
>>
>>25185644
That would be a valid point if it weren't for the commas that imply the thoughts are related. The lack of a question mark simply makes the first sentence complete nonsense.
>>
>>25185689
M HAVN MUCH FUN BRO
U 2 M8 ?
>>
>>25182675
must have taken a while
>>
>>25185691
So you earn extra credit today. Grats!!
>>
>>25185804
>implying I didn't sage that post, being aware that it is a non-contribution to the thread
>>
>>25185749
No, the first word is "What" and it has 4 letters. Exactly what the sentence says.
The sentence is perfectly sensible.
>>
>>25186053
the comma implies that everything after it refers to the same word
>>
>>25186053
The first sentence is strictly incorrect.

1. Quotations must be quoted.
2. 'What' wasn't quoted, therefore it is a pronoun.
3. It cannot be interrogative, therefore it is relative.
4. There is no superordinate (?) clause to the subordinate relative clause.
5. Which is ungrammatical.

QED.
>>
>>25186141
>It cannot be interrogative

*because there is no question mark
>>
HOLY SHIT WHY IS THIS A THREAD
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.