[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post thoughts about fascinating things in the world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 24
File: home alone.jpg (240 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
home alone.jpg
240 KB, 800x600
>see things like a video game, but with massively higher number of inputs, situations, outcomes, etc. (silly way of thinking, i know)

>always find it interesting how well nature's "class loadout" (e.g. higher testosterone, higher int, woman) correlates with outcome (from personal experience), even though it's fucking obvious

lemme hear what amazes you guys...
>>
that every other human on earth's life experience is just as complex as yours. that at some point they have all cried, shit their pants, loved, lost, and were all pushed out of another human being as some point. They all eat, sleep, and breath, even the retards. All 7.1 billion people.
>>
>>25179506
>shit their pants
even qt girls?

Seriously though, how feasible is it for us to run out of oxygen in the atmosphere? With tree being cut while we rise in numbers
>>
>>25179414
so youre saying that if they people "blessed" usually have an easier time in life or what?
>>
File: 1445136132451.gif (804 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
1445136132451.gif
804 KB, 500x715
>>25179506
I love this feeling
I remember thinking of it like 4 or 5 years ago and not actually knowing there was a word for it until a couple months ago
>>
>>25179592
we will either run out of food, air, or water eventually. pretty much anything else we can live with as long as temperatures stay close to the same.
>>
>>25179644
goosebumps my friend. always amazes me
>>
Last night as I was laying in bed, I moved my fingers. I clenched them, rolled them, flicked them, cracked my knuckles, pointed, flexed, flipped, thumbs'd up, thumbs'd down. I touched my face and my nose, my eyes. I moved my legs, my toes, I felt every bit of the fabric against my skin. I thought about how my brain intercepts these reactions, and the charges/messages being sent almost instantaneously to my muscles. Commanding them all to move. My breathing, my taste, my sight, my hearing, my touch. All of it is handled by the brain that is protected within my skull.
Incredible, it's incredible. That from a microscopic little sperm cell that all of this was formed. That a system that automatically repairs itself and grows has been created just from a moment of what could have been lust, or instinct.
That there are other people who have all these senses I do, and people who don't. Are they alive, or am I only making it all up?
>>
File: toddpost.jpg (28 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
toddpost.jpg
28 KB, 500x303
>>25179644
>sonder

Anon, the term you're looking for is Radiant AI
>>
File: GFIZs14.png (277 KB, 463x279) Image search: [Google]
GFIZs14.png
277 KB, 463x279
>>25179753
if you havent yet you should try psychedelics m8
>>
File: 1449945486851.gif (71 KB, 245x269) Image search: [Google]
1449945486851.gif
71 KB, 245x269
>>25179852
Are you kidding me, I'm no degenerate, family.
I'll only drink alcohol and that's rare for me.
But if you are a degenerate then so be it, I have no control over your life.
It's yours to do whatever you please with.
>>
>>25179753
to add to this

>how do you know what your sensing is perceived the same by others like the colour green. what is green? what does it mean? Or if it's even there

>death can remove all this complex stuff just like that
>>
>>25179889
smoke a cigarette dude, you need to relax
>>
>>25179908
>wanting to reek of shit and ruin your lungs

Nope, not that either. Mom's smoking habit has turned me completely off of the tobacco jew.
>>
>>25179414
Similar to you OP, life is very much like an RPG video game.

Life is a game and it's winnable if you know the rules and adapt yourself to them.

I also mentally keep track of my personal stats and special skills.
>>
>>25179613
I don't know about that to be honest...
>>
>>25179922

Gamification is pretty much the only way I can motivate myself - other than direct simple hedonism.
>>
>>25179889
This degenerate meme really needs to stop. I'm worried some take it seriously.
>>
File: 1449892849650.gif (49 KB, 129x200) Image search: [Google]
1449892849650.gif
49 KB, 129x200
>>25179893
Sometimes I wonder if death even does that. Is it like sleeping a really deep sleep? Do we just stop feeling things, where do we go? What happens once our body shuts the system down? Who knows, I'm not looking to die just yet though. I have things I must do.

>>25179963
Hey familia, I already said if you do drugs and live a degenerate lifestyle that's all on you. I simply don't want to partake in such a lifestyle, it's unhealthy and not worth the investment. But should you wish to be unhealthy and waste your resources then so be it.

I'm grateful that I can feel and think of these things without the use of drugs.
>>
>>25180011
so can everyone thats not the point. Psychodelics are a tool more than something used just to make you feel good. The chemicals actually makes connections between the synapses of your nervous system that dont normally occur, and increase your brains capacity to ponder abstract thought. It takes your mind to places you cannot achieve while sober.
>>
>>25179506
My mom had a C section.
>>
File: 1449892256602.gif (922 KB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1449892256602.gif
922 KB, 355x200
>>25180084
I can already ponder abstract thoughts my friend. Tell me, what can psychedelics make me think or feel that I already don't?
>>
What are your thoughts on the idea that life for normies is like skyrim while life for robots is like dark souls
>>
>>25180197
he said it increases CAPACITY to ponder abstract thought
>>
File: dark souls two.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dark souls two.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>>25180225
you have my attention....

fuck the mute
>>
>>25180197

Not the person you're replying to(the retard that said psychodelics), but I just gave a lecture in a 300 level psych class a week or two ago on the practical applications of psychedelics in psychotherapy, particularly MDMA and LSD for treatment of PTSD, addiction, death anxiety, etc, and your question is impossible to explain because everyone works differently. The lady in vid related sums it up pretty well

>if you can't see it then you never will, and I feel sorry for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iGf2loLAwVE
>>
>>25179922
What are your special skills, family?
>>
>>25180342
>called retard
>still has my back

sry i cant spell good m8
>>
File: 1443060765289.gif (433 KB, 350x343) Image search: [Google]
1443060765289.gif
433 KB, 350x343
>>25180269
What happens once the drug wears off? Is my capacity diminished?
Why artificially raise my capacity, just so it can go down even further then it was before I ingested the psychedelic?
Just so I can see some pretty colors and brag to my friends about how cool drugs are and how they should ruin their lives just for a few minutes of cool colors and heightened senses? If you have done psychedelics, tell me what you've experienced that I simply can't think or imagine for myself.

>>25180342
>psychodelics
I'm glad you caught that.

Anyway, the footage is nice and all, but I'm still not convinced. Simply put, drugs aren't for me. We all have our own ways to achieve "highs"
If you take psychedelics or other drugs to achieve these goals then so be it. I'll still think you're a degenerate and look down on you, but why should that matter to you?

>>25180443
Why should it matter to you either?

Just do what you want, I am just text behind a screen for you guys dictating my views and beliefs.
None of this matters in the end, what really matters if you're happy with the situation you're in and if you're comfortable with who you are.
I think that's a concept we can all agree on.
>>
File: 1450403728810.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1277) Image search: [Google]
1450403728810.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1277
>every single image on the internet was created by someone at some point
>billions and billions of edits of pictures
>there's a person out there that made that image at some point in time and history

For example. This picture. Funny right? Look into it more.
Someone took that original picture. The two originally posing in it are just normal people like you and I. They have no idea we're posting it on a korean cartoon image board.

Once more, someone has gone to the effort to make this edit with pepe and wojak over it. Of course, there's others that made those pictures too.

Through the sheer effort and combination of these images made by other human beings, this new image was created, and will most likely be passed around and saved onto hundreds of thousands of hard drives around the world, with the original creators and editors seemingly unknowing and forgetting that it exists.
>>
>>25179893
>wat if ur gren is not my gren XXDD

Let this meme die.
>>
File: hammer.jpg (33 KB, 300x356) Image search: [Google]
hammer.jpg
33 KB, 300x356
>>25180493
>I think that's a concept we can all agree on.
>>
>>25180495
im disappointed that no one ever saved or reposted or even spoke of anything i ever made so then i stopped making stuff
>>
>>25180318
Well basically life for normies means they can do whatever the want in a bright exciting world that revolves around them ala skyrim while life for a robot is a grueling battle in a dreary desolate place where our connections with others are brief and fleeting until ultimately we are alone at the end of our journey
>>
File: 1448663790712.png (193 KB, 468x376) Image search: [Google]
1448663790712.png
193 KB, 468x376
>>25180493
>Just so I can see some pretty colors and brag to my friends about how cool drugs are and how they should ruin their lives just for a few minutes of cool colors and heightened senses?
Dude holy fuck
Are you trying to make yourself seem retarded
>>
File: 1423660934104.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1423660934104.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>25180589
If I was trying to make myself seem retarded, I'd just take drugs.

But enough of that subject, this is a thread for fascinating things in the world and arguments are some of the most common things in this world.
>>
>>25180560
I once made an edit to a marine holding a rifle that turned it into a super scope.

Sometimes I still see it.

That was like 5 years ago.
>>
File: smug anime female.jpg (63 KB, 447x400) Image search: [Google]
smug anime female.jpg
63 KB, 447x400
>>25180655
You don't really have to try to make yourself seem retarded, you're doing a pretty good job at it. If you think being passive aggressive and showing a smug sense of superiority helps you win an argument you'd be wrong.
>>
>>25179644

I'll never understand how men and women choose to go to war and spill blood. To end lives, to kill people. But I guess it's easy if you dehumanize them, but fuck, do they really see people of different races/religions as simply...not human? Is that how you rationalize flying to distant countries to kill people? Or do they just have a different moral code where murder is fine?
>>
I work on a US submarine and get amazed often.
Waking up underway in a coffin sized rack and remembering that I am 1000ft bellow the surface in a metal tube, being propelled through the water by nuclear fission, guided only by sonar. The ship is loaded out with 15 heavyweight torpedos and 8 tomahawk missiles ready to annihilate any enemy. It amazes me, to think moments earlier I was sleeping like a baby, meanwhile all around me is enough sea pressure to instantly kill me.
>>
>>25180786
I've read a few things on the subject and from what I can tell it's more of an "us or them" thing.

The people putting them in those situations don't see the enemy as people, just a number, but then the actual grunts have to fight for their life since that's the situation they're put into.
>>
File: The Smuggest of the Smug.gif (169 KB, 390x290) Image search: [Google]
The Smuggest of the Smug.gif
169 KB, 390x290
>>25180709
Either or, in the end drugs are going to be degenerate habits and people will look down upon you for partaking in such nasty activities.
It's funny how after I described some of the things that run through my mind, the first thing that someone says is "DUDE DRUGS LMAO"
If you need a crutch to think abstract things then that's fine with me, as I said before I'm grateful that I don't need training wheels to ride my bike.

This'll be the last post I make of this nature, I don't wish to fill this thread with any more negativity then I've already given it.

But please continue posting your smugs
>>
>>25180805

man that sounds cool as hell. got any stories/pics to share?

does the submarine has windows so you could just look at the black sea (probably not but you can lie to me if you want)?

what do you guys eat? how often do you resurface?

and again, POST PICS pls
>>
>>25180805
How do you have internet?
>>
>>25180786
>do they really see people of different races/religions as simply...not human?

The masses just go along with whatever carrot the ruling elite dangles in front of them, surely?

Im not even trying to be edgy, but what is a human life really worth in the grand scheme of things?

From what i've seen, life isn't pleasant -- normie just try to see the positives! -- for most, apart from those at the top, who we discreetly serve one way or another
>>
>>25180493
>>psy lecturer here

I don't care if you try them or not. They've certainly helped me, but I understand they aren't for everyone. I do think everyone should try them at least once, but I'm no fascist. Do as thou wilt.
>>
File: told ya so.png (272 KB, 490x406) Image search: [Google]
told ya so.png
272 KB, 490x406
>>25180858
How can people look down at me for something they don't know I do?
And nobody said you need drugs as a crutch, they said that drugs help your capacity to think about abstract things.
I don't actually see anybody saying DUDE DRUGS LMAO either, sounds like you're making shit up to me. Your analogy is shit too.
And again you're trying to use wording to put yourself into a position of superiority you aren't even in. And also notice how you went from really accepting of people who use drugs to acting like a dumb smug bastard the second people called you out for acting so dumb.
>>
The fact that everything we perceive, all our thoughts, all our memories, literally every part of our conciousness and everything we know and experience about existance, is all just handled by a fuck ton of neurons firing at each other in our brain
>>
>>25180805
I'm amazed that the US continues to pay for the existence of welfare queens like you.
>>
>>25179644
i don't see how you can realise something like this, probably another facebook normie thing that people pretend to understand to look good
>>
>>25181037
I was sitting there and thinking
And then I started thinking about people which led me to think about what is described in that picture
>>
>>25180350
Only one special ability but I like it.

[The Learn]
Double experience gain in any skill up to level XX (max level in any skill is 100).

As more skills are learned [The Learn]'s power increases, allowing double experience gain until higher levels.

XX = 35 for me right now. I find it really easy to learn new skills up to a decent level. I only started to hit my limits in college (as in, needed to study a normal amount).

What sucks is that in this world, specialization is everything. Nobody wants a jack of all trades, master of none. It was really hard for me to get a job so now I'm putting more effort into Charisma while I grind for money.
>>
>>25180805
>>25180893

answer me you submarine employee!!!!
>>
File: fBAeSbN.jpg (66 KB, 788x514) Image search: [Google]
fBAeSbN.jpg
66 KB, 788x514
img from my stache of vintage nukes (guys who run the reactor, aka my job).

>>25180912
im in port m8, on holiday stand-down. In muh barracks room hooked to wifi

>>25180893
no windows at all. some older subs had like one window in the sail but my ship does not.

we eat standard military style, galley food. usually like 2 choices of meat, a starch, and a couple cooked veggies to choose from as hot items, then cold items in the salad bar. Theres some variety but for the most part the food is only really good occasionally. they bake bread/rolls every night. My favorites are egg drop soup, hamsters (chicken cordon blu or whatever the fuck), chicken nuggets, the fries they serve on fridays. Every friday is burger day and every tuesday is taco tuesday with some form of "mexican" food. To save space all the drinks are powdered like Gatorade and crystal light, and powdered milk.

On a normal underway where we arent on mission with tasking from the government we surface kind of sporadically. like maybe once a week? on mission/deployment when tracking the russion we might not come up for months without.

quick sea story from 2 underways ago. on field day (aka cleaning for 3 hrs) I was in shaft alley where the shaft of the ship is exposed and I was trying to throw away a lip of dip I just put (im not a dipper FTR, hense trying to spit it out). I found what looked like a trash can but with some paper towels in it. I spit out the dip and thought I saw blood. I opened up the wad of towels a little more and the smell hit me. It was an old dried up human turd from watches long past. Someone must have really had to go (if your on watch in the engineroom sometimes its hard to get a watch relief) or it was just being a douche and took a shit in a wad of wipes and left it for someone else or forgot about it. For the next week I was the designated bodily waste guy...
>>
>>25180493
>Anyway, the footage is nice and all, but I'm >still not convinced. Simply put, drugs aren't for >me. We all have our own ways to achieve >"highs"
>If you take psychedelics or other drugs to >achieve these goals then so be it. I'll still think >you're a degenerate and look down on you, but >why should that matter to you?

Your ignorance and unwillingness to learn and adapt to new information is showing. This is commonly known as "being stupid".

This is partially due to your tendency to use meaningless platitudes like "We all have our own ways to achieve "highs" and "None of this matters in the end". What you're doing, anon, is showing you don't have any verifiable argument or substantial claims, so you fall back on using trite, meaningless cliches to try to give your post a semblance of credibility. Unfortunately for you, it achieves the opposite effect, and it reveals how foolish and stubborn you are.

But enough explaining to you how your writing style makes you look stupid and pompous. The problem is you're harping on the other anon using the word "capacity", when that word wasn't the best choice to describe psychedelics. A better description would say psychedelics increase the production of abstract thought. No, it doesn't reduce your "capacity" for abstract thought after the drug wears off. Get a source on that or gtfo.

At least make an effort to learn and adapt to new information. I'm telling you this for your own good. If you keep going through life never admitting when you're wrong, you're not going to learn anything.
>>
>>25181227
>browsing 4chan on the barracks wifi
Surface guy here, you're a braver man than me.

Also I'm jealous you're having a real holiday stand down. My command can't into actually standing down so we still have work every day.
>>
File: X7JLXAR.jpg (53 KB, 738x509) Image search: [Google]
X7JLXAR.jpg
53 KB, 738x509
>>25181037
I am also amazed. the amount of money we shred through on a daily basis is astounding. $50 for a roll of duct tape... and my friend used some to build a hammock once...

i dont care too much though, i qualified to do it so why not. its a steady paying job for me and will pay for college. Plus the post navy job opportunities for me as a nuclear trained individual are pretty good
>>
>>25181227

that's a pretty funny story man.

what about your room? fuck, how many are there of you living in the submarine? do you have a roommate?
>>
>>25181348
DUDE
DUDE WEED
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>25181080
But doesn't everyone have a skill like that? I mean, it's not really special. What's your highest stat?
>>
File: 1445558124202.jpg (227 KB, 1173x392) Image search: [Google]
1445558124202.jpg
227 KB, 1173x392
Epistemological nihilism frustrates me more than anything. Any philofags care to elaborate on the self after bundle theory and the munchhausen trilemma? Lack of self is scary, even empirically we're just a mass of cells, but then again what else would we be? Even if we couldn't be divided it still seems arbitrary
>>
File: navy-chief-recruit.jpg (173 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
navy-chief-recruit.jpg
173 KB, 1024x576
>>25181401
lol in the barracks I have a roomie its 2 per room but hes on a ship that is deployed so I have never met him. on the ship you dont get a "room" you get a rack, and not even a full one to yourself until you have been there long enough. The jr guys share racks we call it "hotracking". the way it works is 3 guys own 2 bunks. usually the two senior guys claim their own and the newb sleeps in whatever one doesnt have someone laying in it at that moment. There is about 130 people on the ship when we get underway. ships force is a little bigger than that but we leave people on shore a lot for school ect and sometimes there is more, with "riders" or people who dont work on the ship but are there for a workup or to qualify because there ship is in an extended ship yard maintenance period and they cant go to sea to qualify.

>>25181366
eh, its comcast through my own router. not the community liberty center type internet. Im honestly not concerned because on subbase I promise im not the only dude on 4chin right not, sub guys are usually pretty wierd
>>
File: XuOnUDt.jpg (47 KB, 739x507) Image search: [Google]
XuOnUDt.jpg
47 KB, 739x507
more in case someone wanted more pics
>>
File: virginia_class_l2.jpg (284 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
virginia_class_l2.jpg
284 KB, 1024x819
the class of ship i am on, might be mine but im not sure.
>>
>>25181498
Highest stat? INT, followed by LUCK.

You'd be surprised but most people aren't very good at learning. They have too many preconceptions and can't make logical connections quickly. Other people may have cool skills too but I think mine's pretty rare and it has some use.
>>
>>25181594
I still wouldn't trust any connection that passed through a military base. I heard some guy in flight school in Pensacola got nabbed for CP on his private connection on base. I'm not doing anything criminal but I still don't want to be spied on.
>>
>>25181748
maybe it's just the way you're describing it then. I hope you level STR or at least DEX, you do right?
>>
>>25179414
i've had a shit pc so long that i've developed a habit of squinting out of agony when i get extremely low framerate drops. so whenever i see a group of lights or anything i end up squinting and being suprised that real life isn't lagging.
>>
>>25181722
>ship

hey, at least you got dubs
>>
>tfw 10 in PER
I don't even know how this came about but I sure wish I could turn it off sometimes.
>>
>>25181037
How don't you realize that?
>>
>>25181945
I think you're lying
>>
File: justsayno.jpg (30 KB, 350x305) Image search: [Google]
justsayno.jpg
30 KB, 350x305
>>25179889
>>25180493
>>25180655
mfw D.A.R.E. actually worked on this neet

>alcohol is okay but thats cause its legal
>anything illegal is obviously a waste of time and poisons your body and soul

nb4 legalize weed blaze all day 420/7
>>
>>25181803
>I hope you level STR or at least DEX, you do right?

Sadly I don't. I've got a copy of Starting Strength and free access to a gym with free weights but work has been keeping me too busy and stressed out to build those good habits.
>>
File: ehheheh.jpg (10 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
ehheheh.jpg
10 KB, 210x240
>>25181348
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
T
F
O
>>
>>25180133
Macduff pls.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.