[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any kind of modern sentry job these days? Like fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
Is there any kind of modern sentry job these days? Like fire watchman or lighthouse keeper? Do these occupations still exist?

>sit in comfy watch tower
>solitude
>do basically nothing but glance around occasionally
Would need internet access though

Pic very related
>>
If there was internet access in those places why would they not just put up a webcam with some motion detecting software
>>
security guard
>>
>>25172603
You can't stop a break in after it's committed
>>
>>25172566

There are remote meteorological/scientific/military stations all over the world, on isolated islands, in the places where people can't live without assistance. Australia has one to the northeast, Brazil has some in the Atlantic off its east. Several of the United States' minor outlying islands, scattered throughout the pacific, have among their only remaining manmade structures, old disused lighthouses.

Lighthouse keepers had a historic reputation for going crazy in the course of performing their jobs. In particular, a tiny and mostly-useless island to the southwest of Mexico, named Clipperton island, once hosted a small guano-mining community early in the 20th century. Clipperton was the subject of a dispute between Mexico and France, ultimately being awarded to France, but that part of the story is immaterial to this part.

Because at this time I'm talking about, the colony was populated by men, women and children. Due to warfare and, well, being fucking Mexicans, the Mexicans just kinda sorta forgot that they had left a small detachment of people out at sea, on Clipperton. The men promptly succumbed to scurvy, all except one: a weirdo, robotic lighthouse keeper who immediately declared himself king and proceeded to rape the women on a daily basis for months on end.

His beta uprising was truly glorious, until the women, having contemplated suicide, had had enough of him. One of them murdered and proceeded to mutilate the keeper to an unclear extent (which, stepping back a moment, is understandable given the circumstances). Shortly thereafter, a bunch of faggot white-knight Americans showed up and rescued the women. But they really were white knights, because they came to understand what had been going on on the island, and, having sympathy for the poor women, they decided to spin their story in such a way as to shield the women from the consequences of the crime that they had in fact committed. (cont)
>>
>>25172566
The boarder guards near the russian/Norwegian border is sorta like this. Though they walk out to a tower and spend two weeks out there, then 2 weeks back on camp. You spend a lot of time near the same people though.
>>
Lock-keeper if you live near a river
>>
File: clipperton-survivors-2.jpg (23 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
clipperton-survivors-2.jpg
23 KB, 320x200
For many years, the women and their faggot rescuers kept quiet about what had really gone on, but eventually the story got out. Pictured are the survivors of Clipperton. The mexican "authorities", being, well, a bunch of useless mexicans, had been telling these people's families "no dude they're dead just let it go", /without actually checking/, which one on level is just plain hilarious, reminds me of how once a person has been maimed on the roads, Chinese motorists drive to kill. Anyway the stupid island was awarded to France around this time, and it hasn't had a permanent population since. Once in a while some ham radio nerds go out there to broadcast and get their merit badge.

"Oh I wanna marry a lighthouse-keeper, and keep him com-pa-ny...!"

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/

WARNING: The above link reads mostly like a straightforward historical account, and actually is an interesting expansion on what I've said. That said, the layout of the page stinks of buzzfeed/listicle aesthetics, and the author is a Toronto roastie who lists her quirky xD hobbies in the author-ette blurb. I do encourage you to give it a read, just be mindful of who's writing.

>>25172603

Automated weather stations are things. There is no human presence on Peter I Island off Antarctica, but they set up an automatic weather station to take data. Dunno about "internet access", but some connectivitiy is implied by such a device.
>>
Correctional officer
>>
>>25173266
And neither do 99 percent of security guards. The name of the game is observe and report. You're just there to watch and call the police when/if something goes down. That's literally it.

Armed security is a different story, but for that you require years of experience, training and licenses.
>>
>>25173662
>>25173482
Quite interesting story, thanks anon!
>>
Yeah you can do this for the national parks in the US. I've had friends who have done it.
>>
>>25172566
>Pic very related
No it's not. That's not a watchtower. That's just some asshole's vacation home designed by some incompetent 'star'chitect.
>>
>>25172566
CCTV jockey at a department store
>>
At some of those ritzy outlet shopping centers the parking lots have tiny towers security sit inside of to make sure nobody's cars are being broken into. They also have tinted glass so nobody can see you from the outside.
>>
>>25172566
paul ball mall mop
>>
>>25173662
>bangs a 20 year old, then a 13 year old, then a 20 year old again

So hot
>>
>>25173952
That flat roof has got to be awesome in deep snows.

There's a reason why homes in snowy areas have steep roofs.
>>
>>25174905

it's probably heated, but even then what happens when the power cuts out?
>>
Security guard for construction sites
>>
File: 1440431029146.jpg (64 KB, 498x549) Image search: [Google]
1440431029146.jpg
64 KB, 498x549
>>25174984
You die in your gay fucking cabin
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.