[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>think I'm borderline mildly retarded or something >people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1414149777587.gif (1 MB, 220x200) Image search: [Google]
1414149777587.gif
1 MB, 220x200
>think I'm borderline mildly retarded or something
>people say they think I'm really intelligent

what's going on here?
>>
Autism

filtermilterfuck
>>
File: disappointed_pepe.jpg (32 KB, 555x333) Image search: [Google]
disappointed_pepe.jpg
32 KB, 555x333
If your vocabulary/speech is even slightly unusual they'll assume you're a savant autist, that's what happens with me.

They don't realize my brain was fried by psychosis
>>
>>25171051
I feel the same way and it happens to me too. They don't believe me when I say I'm a retard and think I'm lying.
>>
>>25171073
what kinda psychosis?
I fried mine on Weed and acid. I constantly hear a stream of jibberish in my head.
>>
>>25171051

It probably means that they assume

>Since you're so quiet, you probably think a lot
>Since you don't talk much, what you do say seems to be more meaningful
>Since you don't go to parties, you probably spend more time reading (the introvert stereotype)
>Since you look autistic, you probably devote more effort into intellectual activities rather than improving your appearance
>>
>>25171110

Schizophrenia, I thought I was a prophet and could do better than Jesus. Saw some unusual stuff but I think that intense feeling of thinking I figured out everything is what did me in. Can barely piece together a coherent sentence IRL now.
>>
>>25171110
I fried my brain on those exact things. I realised all the fucked up shit I was doing to myself. I think I have some kind of schizophrenia now. I really did (and to an extent still do) think I'm an enlightened prophet/shaman/oracle. I think that if I tried I could get a lot of people to follow me. I'm not interested in anything. I just want to write my feelings and explain them. I always doodle crazy shit like random words and strange pictures and when I do LSD I really feel like going full schizo . Like I 100% want to sit in the dark and write down meaningful imagery that comes to me. I cannot take care of myself very well or school because of anxiety
>>
Have Autism

Instead of getting autistic about something that might help me out in life maths, science, programming. I got autistic about speed-running games and history and pretty much fucked up my entire education
>>
Don't rationalize. Go to a therapist and open up.
>>
>>25171051
The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence - or specifically, their incompetence - at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. This lack of awareness is attributed to their lower level of competence robbing them of the ability to critically analyse their performance, leading to a significant overestimate of themselves.

The inverse also applies: competent people tend to underestimate their ability compared to others; this is known as impostor syndrome.
>>
>>25171840
Or I'm just retarded and paid no attention during school

Who /straight E's/ here?
>>
I used to think I was sharp as a tack, as I have gotten older, and been introduced into the adult workplace, I'm pretty sure I'm latently retarded and have nightmares about it.
>>
>>25171898
right here, barely passed every year, a couple bouts of summer school.
nothing like achieving the bare minimum, amirite?
>>
>>25171051
Exactly same. I have no fucking clue why do they think so. I would rate myself 0,1/10 and thats just because i didnt kill myself (somebody would have to clean that shit and blabla). And funnily enough suicide is the only thing that makes sense to me (or beta uprsing w/e idc).
>>
>>25171840
Thanks for that boyo. Didn't know there was a converse principle. Should have figured though.
Cheers
>>
You're moderately knowledgeable about random bits of trivia and esoterica that impress your uninitiated friends. You might be genuinely above average for all we know, the only thing thats certain is you have low self-esteem.
>>
>>25171972
You bet spent all my time thinking about video games and sleeping

Never went to any of the school carnivals or social events just stayed home playing games and eating junk while they ran laps or had stupid dances
>>
>>25171898
I didn't have any friends so the only thing I did in school was watch anime or study so I got only As and some Bs
>>
File: 1450778992784.gif (164 KB, 494x332) Image search: [Google]
1450778992784.gif
164 KB, 494x332
>>25171051
Just stereotypes.

They always change their minds after one or two conversations with you.
>>
>>25171736
apart from the anxiety that sounds cool as fuck. if you believe it, you could start a cult on youtube or something, gain followers, than organize those people to do something decent together like a new lifestyle
>>
>>25171999
>>25171840
be carefull of the reverse-reverse dunning-kruger effect, where you always 'downplay' yourself and your abilities, but then you realise that you are downplaying yourself, and try to adjust your self image by thinking more highly of yourself but end up rating yourself way higher than whats realistic, effectively making you a dunning-kruger statistic again.
I was the same as you for quite some time then I figured I would try and improve and think more positively, only to find myself getting cockier over several months. I'm just glad I got aware of my own mental gymnastics and It feels like I've adjusted myself pretty good now.
>>
File: 1444037468247.jpg (18 KB, 176x255) Image search: [Google]
1444037468247.jpg
18 KB, 176x255
>>25172182
or like jonestown
>>
Good to know it's not just me then.
I was smart at one point and then got fried
It makes me feel shit when people try to speak to that old me
I wish he was here
>>
I have never been able to relate more to any thread. This hits hard and I'm glad to know there's a name behind my smart retardation. I always knew something was wrong in my head, yet I was always the smart guy people would go to in school.
>>
>>25172190
Jesus Christ why even bother. my entire life has been ruined by my low self esteem. I got shit grades because I didn't want to do anything, didn't want a good job. was always told "ur so smart xDD" and was "wasting a great gift" like will hunting or some bull shit, due to my habit of sleeping in class, daydreaming, NEVER doing homework etc and still managing to get 90+ scores on those tests at the end of the year.

I'm an idiot though. I can't hold a conversation, I'm an anxious faggot who can barely drive, I'm awkward and weird yet somehow NOT autistic.

Fuck me. The typical response to "tfw smart but lazy" is usually something like "if u really wer so smart u'd be rich xD" as if all smart people are successful and confident and don't waste their time on video games or 4chan.
>>
>>25171051

If you're quiet, people will just naturally think you're some sort of nerd who studies a lot and thus gets good grades.
>>
>>25171073
>>25171147
Did you have any gradual warning signs for this shit? I'm super paranoid that one day I'll turn schizophrenic too
>>
>never felt smart, felt average at best
>constantly praised as a genius in high school by teachers and peers
>graduate with 4.5 gpa and multiple scholarships
>still feel average
>now live as a NEET who makes money by renting out a couple houses I bought with scholarship funds

I just feel like they dumbed everything down and gave scholarships out of pity because I was dirt poor and lived in the slums. I'm dumb as bricks, from how I see it.
>>
>>25171051
>have assburgers
>can't function at all in social situations, in other words at all
>act retarded involuntarily
>people always tell me i'm legit intelligent and should consider becoming a historian or linguist
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.