[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the drone industry a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
Uni fag

>23, mixed male
>raised gpa from 0.5 to 2.56
>two more years to go
>less than 10k in debt
>feels god about future

What are the prospects of becoming a drone pilot for the government after graduating from a state university?

Will the UAS sector boom or bust? Should I just cut my losses and join the AF?
>>
>>25169973
>What are the prospects of becoming a drone pilot for the government after graduating from a state university?
pretty low, it's a competitive field in the air force and otherwise any government force that needs drones just trains people they already have to do it

the "drone industry" is not a meme though, it's not enough of a cultural institution to be a meme. who the fuck goes on about drone piloting for the government? how many jobs could there possibly be doing that
>>
>>25169973
.5? How the fuck did you not get kicked out instantly? What kind of toilet paper mill are you going to? Also what degree are you working towards?
>>
>>25170039
Unmanned Aerial Systems

>how would they make money if they kicked me out?
>>
>>25170065
>>how would they make money if they kicked me out?
ahahahahahaahahahaha

fucking americans
>>
>>25170025
Sorry I meant the public sector. Not necessarily the military.
>>
>>25170077
I'm assuming college is not for profit where you are from?
>>
>>25170091
it's not for-profit in anywhere but america m8 and the public sector doesn't just have fleets of drones flying around in any country lmao

you've been had, kid
>>
>>25170065
What the fuck? I was expecting something akin to mechanical Engineering or Aerospace engineering. Anon, it is my advice you leave this university, and go to a respectable one, and get a real degree. This shit sounds shadier than "game design" degrees. Any autist thinking about that should either go into computer science or software engineering, etc. Aka a real degree.
>>
>>25170102
The FAA will have the final say on whether or not they can be used for commercial purposes.
>>
>>25170106
http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Asymmetric-Technologies-LLC/jobs/Uas-Operator-1a1fa98b2ab1bb92?q=drone+operator
>>
>>25170118
protip: drone pilots in the air force are drawn from actual pilots, and no one hires "drone operators" for anything else. the closest it gets are aerial photography start-ups which are generally just a guy and his buddies flying their own drones. you've been fucking had and your degree is completely worthless

at least shitty full sail "Game Design" or "Music Production" degrees have some tangible field they could be put towards and do teach you at least a little bit about those areas, laughable as the degrees themselves are in the end. "Unmanned Aerial Systems" is not a real degree in any sense. you've been fukken owned, and to learn to fly a drone you're better off playing ace combat tbqh
>>
>>25170136
>first requirement
>be a fucking actual pilot
>>
>>25170188
>>25170136
oh my god it gets worse

http://asymmetric.com/

this is probably the sketchiest shit I've ever seen since that "American Police Force" company that operated with Joe Arpaio
>>
>>25170136
Qualifications & Skills:

Possess an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. (Required).
Possess a minimum of 200 hours of pilot in command time (PIC) of manned aircraft or substituted with UAS flight time.
Ability to manage small teams and/or work independently.
Possess a thorough understanding of the capabilities, limitations, sensor payloads and data processing that the operator is qualified in type.
Military Background preferred
Required experience:

UAS Operator: 1 year

Do you honestly feel qualified or will be qualified for this position once you're done with your degree? never mind the most important fact. Growth in this sector is going to be abysmally small, and they probably have a wide pool of applicants to choose from. And by studying "Unmanned Ariel Systems" you pigeonhole yourself into literally one job. If you can't find a position, you're fucked. Just get a degree in Aerospace Engineering if you're that into it, and then work with the Air Force.
>>
>>25170205
>Just get a degree in Aerospace Engineering if you're that into it, and then work with the Air Force.
It sounds more like OP wants to OPERATE the drones rather than build/design/service them. In this case, he's better off going for his PPL and then getting the commercial version and just being a pilot.

also just to lol out
>10k in debt with this shit so far
lmao fucking americans
>>
>>25170222
He'd still be more likely to get a position building up to what he wants to do if he first has an engineering background. It doesn't just show technical skills, though thats important, but it shows intelligent problem solving skills if he goes to a good uni. Unfortunately its quite clear he doesn't possess this from his degree choice.
>>
>>25170205
I mean why not? Most of my upper division classes will cover most of these requirements. Specifically: Sensor payloads and data processing.

As for military background the AF is strapped for drone pilots, I could just join and do four years flying the predator drone. Soooooo yea I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

As for growth, how do you even know what the industry will look like in the next five years? Because from what I've heard its expected to boom.
>>
>>25170262
I'm not going to ITT tech. Its a state uni
>>
>>25170262
>Unfortunately its quite clear he doesn't possess this from his degree choice.
for the love of god anon, he's already in a bad enough place, you don't need to shred him like this

>>25170284
no dude this is serious Full Sail University "Game Design Degree" level shit you're talking about

>sensor payloads
this is the realm of proper electrical engineers to develop said payloads, and their operation is generally automatic
>data processing
this is the realm of dedicated comp sci and comp eng people to develop the transmission/storage protocols, or of math/statistics majors who specialize in sifting data for anything meaningful

>As for military background the AF is strapped for drone pilots,
they're not
>I could just join and do four years flying the predator drone.
that shit is extremely competitive and requires a fair amount of training that they themselves give you, they don't care about "Unmanned Aerial Systems" degrees just like the navy doesn't give a shit about your yacht ownership when considering whether or not you know how to work shipboard equipment

>As for growth, how do you even know what the industry will look like in the next five years?
bad because large drones are of limited utility to most people, and private citizens/civilians can't operate them legally in a lot of areas due to genuine air traffic concerns
what's booming are tiny quadrotors and the like because they're popular toys, not full-size utility drones
>>
>>25170341
http://nypost.com/2015/12/16/air-force-so-desperate-to-keep-drone-pilots-theyre-offering-them-125000-bonuses/
>>
>>25170375
>H-here's an NY POST (lol) article abotu how in demand i am !!!

the problem with the military is that they actually do pay kinda shit compared to their civilian sector equivalents -- a military pilot who leaves and gets his CPL can make like five times as much flying planes for WestJet or Air Dubai or whatever. Note that the article says they're LEAVING, not that they have trouble finding them in the first place.

The same thing happens in a lot of trades -- MPs go on to become actual police or security guards, firefighters go work for the parks depertment instead of the navy or air force, etc.
>>
>>25170463
>I feel like you're just trolling me here.

I never mentioned the AF as a viable career because the shit pay as you mentioned. It simply to get the experience on my resume.

And most tech companies who hire drone pilots want actual UAV piloting experience, as well as a bachelor's degree in a related field.

Its like you took each individual sentence without really getting my overall message. I take every class any other engineering major takes at my UNI. The degree itself is offered by the same college.

I think the problem you have with it is how specialized it is. The degree itself is

Aeronautical Management Technology
there are a few focus areas:
Piloting
ATC
Airport Management
UAS
>>
>>25170463
And you're right large platforms have no use to regular people. My degree focuses specifically on what you mentioned, quad copters and mid-sized platforms.
>>
>>25170597
>"quad-copter" is a size classification
ok so your degree is completely useless then, thanks for confirming

>I think the problem you have with it is how specialized it is.
No, it's that it's a bullshit degree trying to pretend to be a lot of areas that it's not. You can't take a community college course on "piloting", you have to go to flight school to get a pilot's license. "Airport Management" is a bullshit thing, because there's so many aspects to airports that have to be managed that "Airport Management" is an impossibly large field to study. Air traffic control is a similarly specialized field that you can't really cover in one little course.

From the sounds of things, this degree is about as useful as just playing a lot of Microsoft Flight. Which, ironically, I've heard is actually more appreciated than bullshit illegitimate full sail style degrees from air force people themselves when I was doing some joint IT thing at an army base
>>
>>25170668
>Implying I attend a CC

http://jobs.leidos.com/ShowJob/Id/427670/Airborne%20Operations
>>
>>25170806
>>Implying I attend a CC
I didn't but w/e man enjoy your Full Sail degree

a community college would be more reputable than wherever you're going tbqh

poor americans
>>
>>25170814
>Implying a whole lot since mentioning I go to an American University.

AUSSIE CONFIRMED
>>
>>25170929
>anyone not from the US must be australian
and europe is one big country, innit? :^) enjoy your Full Sail degree homie
>>
>>25169973
It's not a meme but the most popular and reliable pathway seems to be transferring from a military background in operating drones to a civilian job, and even then, many probably use their military experience to get similar government jobs where drones are used.

>uni student wanting to fly drones

hm
>>
>>25170983
Most jobs still require a bachelor's degree in a similar field, hence my degree choice.

I guess other anon has time to shitpost at his "job" in Euroland.

And yes we design our own vtol platforms during the course of our classes. As well as simulate drone flight.
>>
>>25171095
>we play ace combat at school, it's cool!!

the one job ad you managed to find and post itt called for an actual pilot. have you considered that maybe it'd be more worthwhile to pursue a pilot's license rather than a two-bit for-profit uni degree in namby pamby bullshit?
>>
>>25171195
Do you even know how much that would cost on fuel alone? No, because you're a know nothing shit poster.
>>
>>25171227
oh whoops I forgot, you spent all your money on a for-profit american university
>>
>>25171318
>I get free collegez, that makes me betr that burgers hurrr durrr!
>>
>>25171227
Real pilots are required to have a certain amount of actual air time, with a real plane, before they become official pilots.
You'd know this if you weren't a fucking idiot.
>>
>>25171318
more career opportunities with my degree: https://jobs-insitu.icims.com/jobs/2728/uas-operator-3/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com&mobile=false&width=1098&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-420&jun1offset=-420
>>
>>25171427

>Real pilots = Drone Operators
try again faggot
>>
File: 1447924630899.png (53 KB, 396x428) Image search: [Google]
1447924630899.png
53 KB, 396x428
>>25171451
>Drone pilots and regular pilots have nothing in common
It was erroneous of me to bring it up seeing as how Flight Simulator 2001 might as well be an operating manual on how2drone, but the fact still remains the only job offer you dredged up was for an actual pilot, and it'd probably serve you well to get interested in a pilot's license if you're doing anything with planes, regardless of the specifics.
You're worried about job prospects and are already 70% into the job description. Why not broaden your job prospects instead of being a tool and putting all your eggs in one basket?
>>
>>25171523
>the only job offer you dredged up was for an actual pilot
I've posted at least three different ones. But w/e you are about as helpful as my academic adviser.
>>
>>25171523
>I know jack shit about drones so I will compare them to video games.

Bet I kill a dozen mudslimes in one afternoon playing "video games" as you put it.
>>
>>25171560
This is /r9k/ you fucking idiot, what, you expect the self-styled official NEET board to be chock-full of former drone pilots and industry recruiters?
You should've gone to /k/ since you asking about jobs in the military, but you're a fucking idiot, so of course you didn't think of that.
You should drop out of uni and go back to flipping burgers, since you clearly aren't smart enough to fly anything more than a paper airplane.
>>
>>25171580
Nobody wanted to hear about your afternoons playing CoD.

And it was a joke, moron, as the difference between actual drone operation and flight simulation didn't occur to me and if you had any modicum of reading comprehension you'd be able to interpret that.
>>
>>25171625
>I didn't know what I was talking about so I will put the blame on someone else to avoid looking like a jackass.

Are all Euros this soft in the noggin?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.