[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programmers Unite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: code.jpg (1 MB, 1378x1378) Image search: [Google]
code.jpg
1 MB, 1378x1378
Yo programmerbots. What kind of shit do you program for fun? Got any cool ideas to share with us?

Also any programming topic is cool. Ask whatever, share whatever.
>>
>>25156093
your favorite language to program 'for fun'?
>>
>>25156132
Java is main although I've been messing around with C lately. You?
>>
>>25156213
Yeah, I like C
>>
>>25156093
Let's get this thread rolling niggas
>>
>>25156132
I like C++ desu. Not for any particular reason. I just took to it fastest. Thinking about learning a couple of scripting languages. Maybe Javascript and Python.
>>
>>25157211
>C++
I wish I started with C++. I'm a JavaFag(TM) but it's possible to do more shit with raw C++ than Java it seems, so you're doing good if you know it well.

>scripting languages
JavaScript is fun for fucking with web pages especially. Other than that, why do you wanna learn a scripting language?
>>
All these "I'm a javafag" posts, because that's what you learn in college lmao.

>>25157572

Scripting languages are the most popular in webdev, which is what most programmers do these days.
They allow for faster prototyping as well, which is exactly what you want for an amateur project.

I don't program much for fun, mainly to sharpen my skills. I'm porting a small utility program from ruby to javascript right now, mainly to try to get a job at some point on the company that made the utility.
>>
making a text based adventure game currently

its easy and you can make it whatever you want!

i mean honestly here's what i started with

you're in an empty room
(waiting for action)_

ive just been adding shit to it when im bored, working on adding actual mobs and weapons currently
>>
>>25157705
>that's what you learn in college
Yeah but I like the language though. Besides, I've never had to program in another language unless it was web-specific or related to memory management.

>mainly to try to get a job at some point on the company that made the utility
Good luck with that mate, I hope you get the job.
>>
>>25157754
I remember a programming thread from a while ago where some dude was asking how to make a text game on here. He was a beginning programmer and had a bundle of awkward spaghetti code. That wasn't you by any chance, was it?
>>
>>25158018
Not me, but I am fairly new to programming (only took an AP Comp Sci class with Java)
>>
Graduate engineer here, they only ever taught us C and if we were lucky they showed us a little bit about C#.

Still struggling to land a job in engineering (competition is fierce and my grades are poor) so I'm trying to convert to programming, theres a lot of those kind of jobs cropping up in my city (near london), any adivce on how to get my foot on that fucking career ladder?

Do I take an IT job and work my way up? I worked on a support desk for Fujitsu before but that was a dead end.

Also I want to practice object orientated languages (Java/C#), any good sites or projects? That text based game idea was pretty cool.
>>
>>25158103

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

No, don't get an IT job, that's fucking stupid, learn some webdev or solve project euler problems on your spare time, try to sell your experience that you got as part of your degree as significant and act like programming is your main hobby.

Start reading programming news boards all day even if it's not about coding specifically, apply to easy to get jobs (quite a few large London companies are hiring very junior people so you should be able to get in, I worked for one without knowing shit initially).

Best of luck, but you really shouldn't be asking for things like this on r9k.
>>
>>25156132
Golang
>>25157572
>>25157705
sh is the only scripting language you need to know. Everything else is garbage.
>>25158459
>solve project euler problems
Bad advice; that's not practical programming.

The best way to learn is having an idea and learning what you need to as you go.
>>
>>25158459
True I probably shouldn't but cheers for the advice.
>>
>>25158531

Yeah why would you learn js to build an isomorphic web app or python to do data analysis or php to build upon a hugely successful cms platform.

Just learn shell programming bro XD

While you're at it use Golang for fun, because nothing says "fun" like being verbose and writing the same stuff again and again due to no generics.

Are you saying that being able to confidently solve project euler problems won't get you a junior job in a lot of places?
You realise most top companies interview you just for algorithms if you're a junior, not practical programming, right?
>>
>>25158652
Hey man, Bash is fun to toy around with and can be useful. Not everything needs to be done in Python.

I despise Lua, and Java though.

Especially Lua.
>>
>>25158075
Cool that you're making voluntarily (I assume) making a game. Most of my (former) classmates didn't dare touch code outside of college assignments.
>>
>>25158692

I haven't done significant with Python but I've stringed together some utilities to make shell scripts to automate a few things as part of my job multiple times.

But that doesn't mean I don't recognize scripting languages have their uses, if nothing more because they got a significant community behind them, along with the tooling and ready-to-use libraries that come with it.
>>
>>25158103
If you've learned shit like C, C++ will be really easy to learn and from there on Java/C#/Python etc will be a cinch. OOP is really easy once you understand the concept.

As for where to learn: TheNewBoston on YouTube is one of my favorite starting places, but you can just pick something and start, it almost doesn't matter.
>>
>>25158652
>js
JS IS shit. why do you think the new version of angular is written in typescript
>python
data analysis is not application building
>php
i'm assuming you're talking about wordpress. you dont honestly consider that a piece of well-designed software, do you?

>no generics
never had to use generics thus far. you can do a lot with code generation.

>project euler
it's bad for beginner programmers who are just starting out. getting someone to solve math problems who has never programmed before is not a good idea.
>>
>>25158731
yeah its voluntary, currently NEET
>>
>>25158075
What data structure are you using for this?

I've never made a MUD but I would imagine a directed graph would make it quite easy
>>
>>25158883
Neat. Out of curiosity, what's the game like/about?
>>
>>25158796
Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for!
I made this a year ago in unity using c#, but if you don't use it you lose it and I feel pretty rusty, especially if I was to go into an interview.
http://gamejolt.com/games/super-sumo-salmon-showdown/38768#close
>>
>>25159035
That's pretty cool man, I always lose motivation before finishing a project like that so props for completing it.

And yeah, you might have lost it but I bet it's easy to get back once you started again. Keep learning that shit.
>>
>>25156093
compilers, interpreters, and random other stuff

>>25156132
I have taken a liking to scheme recently, but I used to use python for fun.
>>
>>25158531
>golang
That's a shit language and you should feel bad.
>>
>>25159326

I'd say it's fine if you're working with it but if you're doing something for fun you can write in other languages.
>>
>>25159326
"There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses."
>>
>>25156093
Sup. I usually make video games, with C# and MonoGame. Over winter break from uni I'm going to try writing some sort of frontend for different sorts of entertainment and stick it on a raspi so I can connect it to my TV.
>>
File: Screenshot-HigherOrderPerl.png.jpg (132 KB, 540x666) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-HigherOrderPerl.png.jpg
132 KB, 540x666
Perl would be my fave scripting language. I also like scripting more than compiling code because I don't feel comfy with huge projects I like them quick n dirty hax that work with your network and such and such. Starting to read pic related, it's a great book.
>>
File: 1450323727186.png (292 KB, 640x1160) Image search: [Google]
1450323727186.png
292 KB, 640x1160
>>25156093
I coded pic related, I see it posted often here. It's entirely in objective-c so it's useless outside of apple products.

Any other mobile developers here? What language do you use.
>>
>>25160062
I have made shit before for iOS. I hate it but not as much as I hate programming for Android.

I've got some stuff on the store but it's nothing I'm proud of - my best work was never published because reasons
>>
File: atomica.png (61 KB, 463x655) Image search: [Google]
atomica.png
61 KB, 463x655
I coded my own music player/manager high as fuck on amphetamines.

Sorts id3 tags, library mode, favorites. Optimal shortcuts too.
>>
>>25160062
I have been using JavaScript with the ionic framework.
>>
>>25160126
i like your taste in music. does coding on drugs make you disregard proper software engineering principles?
>>
>>25156132
>for fun

You mean malware?
>>
File: 1446754666550.jpg (124 KB, 797x593) Image search: [Google]
1446754666550.jpg
124 KB, 797x593
How would you reccomend i go about learning a language like C/C++?

Do i just jump straight in and try to learn or do i learn a simpler language and then move onto it?
>>
>>25160193
C is a simple language. Perhaps one of the simplest ones.
Just take it easy, specially when learning about pointers and memory allocation, that can be difficult at first but it's really not so hard, once you understand that well you can say you've learned the basics of C and proceed to code as much as you can. I suggest project euler, great practice
>>
>>25160158

I don't think I learned them in the first place.
But I do strive to make it very responsive and have cleaned up many functions.
For example it now caches the id3 tags so it doesn't have to reanalyze the tracks every time.

Coding on amphetamines is fucking crazy. You just keep going and going, searching through all bits of code to make that one thing work just right.
Especially in this case, I would do testing on the program by listening to music. Was fun as fuck all the way through.
>>
>>25160126
Ahh, BoC. IDM for casuals.
>>
>>25160309
I have much bigger worries anon.
If you want to recommend better "IDM" go ahead.
>>
>>25160373
go back to /mu/ faggot
>>
If I failed calculus in online courses do I still have a chance to be a programmer, anons? I like writing code, I'd love to do it for a living, I just have trouble picking up more advanced math straight from a textbook with no guidance from a professor at all.
>>
>>25160404
I don't go on /mu/ fag.
Get triggered more, gives me a good laugh.
>>
>>25160441
Most software engineers don't deal with calc at all. If you want to do anything more advanced, you should at least learn calc 1-3 and differential equations.
>>
>>25160441
you rarely use any math in coding. Even less if you're developing commercial software. You might use it if you're to render 3D tho.
>>
File: help.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
>>25160550
Your shit taste in music makes me laugh :3
>>
File: 1365355685695.jpg (75 KB, 334x322) Image search: [Google]
1365355685695.jpg
75 KB, 334x322
>>25160639
>BoC is IDM for casuals
>posts babbys first IDM
>>
File: tits.jpg (61 KB, 502x512) Image search: [Google]
tits.jpg
61 KB, 502x512
>>25160700
>Its called braindance fgt
>>
File: 1424477746809.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1424477746809.png
246 KB, 550x535
>>25160639

Is this guy for real?
>>
File: wut.jpg (342 KB, 536x640) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
342 KB, 536x640
>>25160820
That depends <3
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.