[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else fallen for the wearing a suit to an interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 1431299721341.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431299721341.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1080
Has anyone else fallen for the wearing a suit to an interview meme?

Just got back from an interview for a warehouse position and the employees where laughing at me before I even made it to the managers office
>>
Never because I fall for the 'dress like your superior' meme instead.
>>
>>25155026
depends on the job you want to apply for
if you want to work in mcdonalds then you don't need a suit
but if you want to work in a bank or any college degree job you need a suit
>>
>>25155026
>expected to get a job at a warehouse wearing a suit
>a fucking suit
>for moving boxes and running jitneys

Guys at work would've definitely fucked with you if you got the job. Be glad you saved yourself a couple months of having your shit stolen and taking the blame for everything.
>>
>>25155072

I got a CS degree and I work as a programmer, always show up at interviews in a hoodie and a shirt.
>>
File: 1380511814991.jpg (22 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1380511814991.jpg
22 KB, 500x375
>>25155026

>Apply to same position as a buddy of mine
>Wear a suit to the interview
>My friend laughs in my face and makes fun of me for 'overdressing'
>I get the position
>He doesn't

Non-suit fags BTFO
>>
Mate... it's not the suit that's the reason they're laughing at you...
>>
File: 1444728138232.jpg (94 KB, 411x225) Image search: [Google]
1444728138232.jpg
94 KB, 411x225
>>25155659
>I walked into an interview for equipment operator for an excavating company in jeans and a hoodie
>rest of the spergs sitting there had button downs and khakis
>literally got the job because the guy in there liked me more

Now I sit in the nice warm cab of an excavator and watch Mexicans carry lumber and concrete in the cold lel

Keep trying suitfags, your attire won't make up for your bad personality and autism
>>
>>25155026
>>25155604
There's an anecdote of Nicola Tesla from when he moved to the States. He said he was first looking for jobs digging gold at a pit, and people would laugh because his clothes were so nifty and clean. He worked his hardest with those clothes and went home with his earned money.

You can wear whatever the fuck you want.
>>
I usually just make sure I'm wearing something clean.
>>
File: 1450688648391.jpg (76 KB, 300x438) Image search: [Google]
1450688648391.jpg
76 KB, 300x438
I went to a female-dominated job interview and stuffed a sock in my underwear. They were constantly distracted and eventually I got hired.
>>
>>25155849
>le Nikola Tesla did it, I can do it too

Have you ever worked a blue-collar job? If you become the laughing stock and take it lying down, your work life will be shit no matter how hard you work.
>>
>>25155844
This.
Some people think jeans + t-shirt at interviews is an immediate rejection in the interviewer's mind, but what it really does is just intensify the judgement he'll make of you. If you are wearing jeans and t-shirt, but are incredibly adequate for the job and seems like a genuinely nice person, your casual outfit will play in your favor because you'll be remembered, as opposed to all the other who came in dressed like ghosts to do a show and not speak their true selves.

Of course, if you're an autistic tryhard or unattractive, the t-shirt will play in your disfavour, because the first impression of the interviewer will only be confirmed as the interview goes on.

Also depends on the field.
>>
>>25155026
button down and smart pants/shoes no tie
>>
>>25155026
I wear jeans, a t-shirt, a plaid button down, and brown blazer. Not try hard, not douchebag tier casual, maybe just a little bit spreg-ish, but it doesn't hurt me much.
>>
If you're inteviewed by the big guy it doesn't matter much what you wear, he's gonna judge you on your skills.

If you're interviewed by the simple minded HR bitches you better dress nicely and do the retarded dance, you fucking monkey.
>>
It depends on the job you are looking for and the company culture.

For a warehouse job I would have laughed at you too, for a top manager, anything in banking and really corporate places a suit is required and for everything else you should just go with clean clothes with no t-shirt or anything with a logo.
>>
>>25155844
It's universal. If the job doesn't require you to wear a suit, don't wear a suit to the interview.
>>
I once wore a 2100 dollar suit to an interview at a department store.
>>
>>25156122
this

i used to just take it. and then i would try to make jabs at my attacker. both of those just caused more attention to be drawn to me. from my attacker, and from others. but then i figured it out.

you're not supposed to be gracious and chill in le real normie world. if somebody makes fun of you, you immediately have to attack *someone else.* not necessarily the person who attacked you. but SOMEONE has to be the bottom of the shit pile. it's weird and makes no fucking sense, but it's dumbfuck american culture.

if someone makes fun of you (and it will usually be a loud, alpha person who you can't challenge directly), you have to twist attention onto someone else. luckily, i've almost always worked at places with chill, actual adults who just show up and do their job. but at two jobs in particular, the bullshit, reality tv nonsense vibe was real. so i had to learn how to pick out a weaker person and take covert shots at them. the whole point is "fun." again, normie fuckstain logic. they don't want to hurt *you.* but if you don't defend yourself, they will.
>>
>>25156716
to clarify:

i've NEVER straight up made fun of someone at work to seriously hurt them for approval. NEVER. but like... there are ways to kind of join in a joke, without actually being an attacker. you know? that's what i did. and to be fair, i've never worked anywhere that allowed outright verbal abuse or bullying or something. as long as you show that you "get it," people will leave you alone.
>>
Yea. I went to apply at a grocery store and almost half the people were wearing suits.

Like wtf, you turds are trying too hard.

I still got the job with my normal clothes. I still dressed nicely but not in a suit.
>>
>Apply to labourer position
>Can't handle bants
Wouldn't have lasted there anyway. But yeah a full suit is a bit much for a blue collar interview, dress pants and shoes with a collared shirt and tie is enough.
>>
>>25156716
>Attack someone weaker than you to throw them under the bus and curry favour with the alphas because you dont want to stand up for yourself
Are you fucked in the head or something holy shit
>>
>>25156609
this

Wear something that would be appropriate to wear at the job you're applying to.

If you'll be expected to wear a suit to work, wear a suit to the interview. If it would be weird for you to wear a suit to work, don't wear one to the interview.
>>
>>25155026
When I asked why I got hired instead of the other candidate, they said it was because I wore a suit and the other guy just wore a polo or something.

But that was for an engineering position, not a fucking factory worker. What the fuck is wrong with you? Try again next time without being a fuckhead, even if you got it things would have been how >>25155604 said anyway.
>>
File: yesuuus.jpg (281 KB, 1500x1119) Image search: [Google]
yesuuus.jpg
281 KB, 1500x1119
>>25156442
>smart shoes
>>
>>25156716
How fucking beta are you? Why would you throw someone else under the bus like that? Just don't laugh at their shitty jokes about you and ignore them. I've worked at places like that before and just didn't give in to the faggotry and everything was fine.

You have to work with the assholes there, not be their best fucking friend. Now you're just another asshole.
>>
>>25156716a
> american culture
You really are a idiot, aren't you?
>>
>>25156609
Meh I work as a newspaper and never wear a tie unless I want to. When I had one on for the interview my employer said they appreciated it

Skype interview tho so little did they know I had literally just put on a white shirt with a tie and nothing else.
>>
>>25157516
>I work as a newspaper
>>
>>25157861
On phone nigger.

Plus I usually have an editor and copy desk to correct my fuck ups
>>
>>25155026
Clearly the other employees don't understand basic business procedures.
Always wear a suit to an interview, doesn't matter what job it is. Distinguishing yourself from every other jerk applying to your potential boss is key, and dressing for success is a great way to do that.
>>
>>25158519
Clearly you've never worked a labour job. This is terrible advice. Quit regurgitating all the bullshit you read on on the internet
>>
>>25155026
>white collar outfit
>blue collar job

I doubt you got hired
>>
I wore my dad's tie to retail job and they told me to take it off and now i'm neet. I probably have ass burgers.
>>
>>25156017
Smart thinking.
>>
>Wearing a suit to a factory job interview

haha fuck
I bet you bought something off the shelf at Walmart too
>>
File: 1445695061110.jpg (41 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1445695061110.jpg
41 KB, 500x540
>>25158927
>they told me to take it off

Holy shit, how awkward was that?
>>
>>25158519
>dressing for success
>distinguishing yourself

Mate, they need a hand running the lift trucks and loading the pallets, that's it.
>>
>>25158927

How does that even happen? What happens before or during an interview for you to be told to take your tie off???
>>
I applied online for and later tried to return a call about a receiving job at a food store, but couldn't get through, so I just showed up in neat jeans and a t-shirt, expecting just to schedule and interview.

The HR lady had me come in to the dingy little office, found my papers, and asked "do you want to work?" and hired me on the spot.

I bypassed every other person that had applied just by being there in person and looking like I was taking charge.

Two days later I got hired at a better place and didn't have the balls to tell the food store I wasn't going to work for them.

Since there on I've chickened out of 2 more interviews on account of anxiety and feeling inadequate. I wish these bouts of confidence and cockiness lasted longer.
>>
>>25155026
who the FUCK is that qt patootie?
>>
File: armani.jpg (81 KB, 736x1153) Image search: [Google]
armani.jpg
81 KB, 736x1153
>have rich uncle
>interview at McDonalds coming up
>ask to borrow one of his suits since he's the same size as me
>show up for interview looking like pic related
>didn't get the job

wtf
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.