[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else play chess here? I used to play pretty seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7
File: php6oQeHb.jpg (109 KB, 1500x708) Image search: [Google]
php6oQeHb.jpg
109 KB, 1500x708
Anybody else play chess here? I used to play pretty seriously and I've recently gotten back into the game with the goal of hitting master in two years (currently 1901).

Discuss favourite opening systems, means of improvement, chess authors, players and everything else.
>>
File: reddit is that way.jpg (68 KB, 478x487) Image search: [Google]
reddit is that way.jpg
68 KB, 478x487
You are LITERALLY from leddit.

nice filename faggot. why dont you stay there.
>>
>>25153598

What? I don't know that I said anything particularly reddit.
>>
>>25153635

When you save pictures from reddit, much like 4chan or tumblr or facebook, they have an identifiable filename.
>>
favorite opening against d4 as black is dutch defense for me
faggots can't figure out what to do, especially since i play 3-5 mins per player
white, i just play e4, standard shit
against spanish party i play the birde variation, faggots don't know what to do there either

means of improvement is playing stronger players which i try to do, can only do it online though-chess.com, i have around 1800 elo there, i don't know what that means IRL, haven't played with a real human being in a while, doing puzzles and practicing endgame was also nice back when i tried to improve
my endgame is horribly bad

1901 is pretty good, you'd kick my ass

oh, also about my little birde variation trick i do the following where i'm black
1.e4 e5
2.nf3 nc6
3.bb5 nd4
4.nxd4 exd
5.0-0(most often) f5?
people will take the pawn in 90% of the cases instead of pushing it forward, which really makes my game in a 3 min per player party

whenever i get my ass kicked i usually try turning to caro cann, is a nice defense, solid

if you want we could play a quick 5 min game right now on the lichess thing or whatever it's called
>>
>>25153699
Or he did a google image search?
>>25153544
I used to play chess a lot. But really, a lot.
After a break of 2-3 years, I am not nothing else then a med-tier player...
>>
>>25153699

I got it from google images, like most people do. Chill friend.
>>
>>25153759
>Or he did a google image search?

Only a redditor would cover for another ledditor.

My god this board is infested with cancer.
>>
>>25153758

>1800 on chess.com

On what server? Blitz, live standard or correspondence?

If you play standard you're probably almost the exact same in USCF, maybe a bit stronger actually, if Blitz then you're almost certainly stronger in real life than your rating and if it's correspondence than subtract between 150 and 250 from your rating for an accurate OTB score.
>>
>>25153758

Also I think I just play d3 on move 5 vs your opening, which I'm usually glad to see ;)

I don't play blitz though and it's very rare that someone plays bird variation of the ruy or whatever it's called since almost everything else is better.

I play e4 and e5, but I know almost zero theory honestly. I think I might be one of the best players in the world compared to how little opening knowledge I have.
>>
>>25153800
it's blitz at chess.com, there are no servers
i looked into how a 1800 translates into real life, it matches USCF score, but not the FIDE score. My FIDE score would be lower
that's because the FIDE score and USCF are scaled differently or something, it was a while i looked into that
i really doubt i am stronger, considering i haven't played a proper endgame in years, i mean an endgame where you actually think through the position etc. etc. and that's because by the time the endgame comes each player has about 2 mins left and the material is most likely unequal

yea, bird with the f5 move really works for me in blitz, even though i can see it really REALLY is horrible

i've always considered openings to matter only at very high level, and for most purposes you just have to avoid being caught in obvious opening baiting patterns if you know what i mean

midgame and especially endgame, endgame is where it's at
i think i read before, when i was still into chess that capablanca trained mostly endgame and believed it is the key to great chess, i think it was him anyway
>>
>>25153975

Chess.com blitz is the hardest game on the site. Unless you're one of those guys who can't slow down and play a long time control game, if you applied your knowledge OTB I'm certain you would be quite a bit above 1800 USCF.

Retards on chess.com like to claim that there's NO CORRELATION DURR cause it only measures your skill relative to that pool of players, but that's literally no different from USCF and there's basically a 1-1 ratings transfer from live standard to USCF, Blitz ratings are deflated by comparison, but if you're only good at blitz you'll struggle at like game in 90 time controls.
>>
damn you guys must be pretty smart
>>
>>25153544
OP. I am ranked 1300 on chess.com.

I only play blitz.
>>
im not smart enough for chess

or checkers either.
>>
>>25153975

>i've always considered openings to matter only at very high level, and for most purposes you just have to avoid being caught in obvious opening baiting patterns if you know what i mean

Yeh I play the c3 Sicilian and after a tournament match I drew with another class A player he was trashing my choice of opening and suggesting I take up the Smith Mora gambit, but to me, like, just let me get a playable position from the opening and I'll come up with something in the middle game. I don't need that .30 edge from theoretically perfect play 25 moves into an open sicilian book line to get a good game. Plus, Sicilian players hate the c3 sicilian and I like taking people out of their comfort zones.
>>
>>25154067

lol for that reason I want to learn the Ruy Lopez exchange variation as white. It's something most people don't like seeing and something that can actually be pretty good. You also basically avoid any chance of black getting the game he wants if he plays the marshall or something.
>>
>>25154026
>but if you're only good at blitz you'll struggle at like game in 90 time controls.
i actually have no idea how i would do there, because i live in a country where people meet up to play in remote locations once a week in the most inconvenient of times
>>25154067
ahah, i respond with c3 to sicillian quite often
too, throws a lot of people off
>>
>>25154058

You are. Everyone sucks at chess at first, I used to lose games to 800 rated payers on chess.com.
>>
>>25154058
chess is NOT correlated with IQ or any sort of higher intelligence

it's your pure devotion, the time and concentration you put into learning it and psychology against your opponent

i really liked the devotion aspect of the game
>>
I used to work at a mental institution and often played against this schizophrenic guy who was locked up in the closed psychiatry for 60 years.
The only way of beating him was to do something he wasn't prepared for, which caused him to immediately give up. I managed to do this once or twice in all the time I worked there.
Anybody else have experience playing with mentally ill opponents?
>>
>>25154205

This isn't true either. Chess has correlation with I.Q and specifically spatial reasoning ability. You're right that devotion is the most important at amateur level of course, but no everyone has it in them to be world chess champion through sheer work, you need the work and the brain to make it to the top, and having a higher IQ means you will improve at chess faster relative to the time you invest.

Everyone reading this could hit 2200 though, given enough practice and dedication, I'm certain of that.
>>
>>25154218

Like three guys at my club have literal autism

>1 of them cries when he loses

>1 of them is the strongest player there, but he sometimes makes weird moves, probably due to autism

>1 is just a little aspy and is only about 1400-1500
>>
since this is r9k let me ask you guys this question
why do you think females are so much worse at this, especially, especially at higher level
there is literally a female world championship AND a male one, that allows women, but they just can't compete(??)
>inb4 polgar sisters
but they didnt win, did they and they are such a rare exception

is it because their pool is small and shitty, is it because they are dumber, is it because they get pregnant
why is it
>>
>>25153544
I would enjoy strategy board games if I had enough people to play with. Which I don't.
>>
>>25154335

Here are the definitive reasons why:

1. Fewer women play chess

>fewer women are as dedicated to hobbies as autistically as men are, I'm not sure why this is, but there's certainly some biological component

2. Women in general are worse at chess (their average rating is much lower)

>Chess relies on spatial reasoning which women are worse at, women score better in universities and schools because their strong suit is verbal reasoning

3. Why very few women can make it to the top of chess, and why there has never been a female world champion

>IQ is distributed unevenly between the sexes, men have more geniuses and also more idiots who wind up in prison, because you need to be a genius to make it to the absolute peak of chess you get many more male chess geniuses
>>
>>25153544
I used to play in elementary then I grew up
>>
>>25154335

Polgars also definitely did win and Judit was a top 10 player in the world when she was at her peak. None of them ever became world champions however.
>>
>>25154218
>grandfather was PTSD, had 4 kids with 5 women
>beat a grandmaster in a casual game after a tournament
>had to stop because of his heart
>wanted to get into Chess
>my heart almost explodes when I get into it
you have to be mentally ill to enjoy chess senpai
>>
File: 1438907156475.jpg (32 KB, 393x375) Image search: [Google]
1438907156475.jpg
32 KB, 393x375
>>25154144
Not that guy but I gave up on chess when I lost 5 games in a row to the easiest cpu level on the default windows chess application.
I have trouble conceptualizing long term goals, and impatiently make my moves.
Playing makes me feel like the idiot I don't want to admit I am.
>>
>>25154457

If you're new then you really suck, and will for awhile. Chess is one of the hardest games to get decent at.
>>
>>25154374
Chess doesn't rely on spatial reasoning. Literally EVERY high-grade chess player they've ever examined used pure rote skills (as in purely memory-based, not reasoning, on FMRI scans and shit). They just end up memorizing so many previous games and effective combinations that they are literally walking chess probability databases.

In regards to sexuality, women are just better at being dumb. They do fine if you give them the same boring shit to do every day, like data entry, child-rearing, teaching the same class for 40 years straight to kids. They're just not built to excel, and it shows with how bad most men are and how much they hate doing day-to-day management bullshit.
>>
>>25154407
>had 4 kids with 5 women

Neat.
>>
Can anyone here beat me at bullet chess?

http://lichess.org/6JN9FDeJ
>>
File: chessqt.jpg (1006 KB, 2477x3565) Image search: [Google]
chessqt.jpg
1006 KB, 2477x3565
>>25153544
I used to play chess with my grandfather whenever I visited him as a kid. He always used the same opening and I rarely managed to beat him. Still, it was fun.

He also always (literally each time we played) bragged about that one time he checkmated someone or other important using two horses. I guess that was supposed to be unusual in some way, but I can't quite remember how exactly.

I also had a chess program on SNES but it kicked my ass on all but the very lowest difficulty settings where in turn I kicked its ass and so it wasn't much fun.

I never got past the beginner stage in chess, probably because I never took the time to read up on all the theory of openings and whatnot, but I can (could? haven't played in years) play Scrabble with the best of them (I beat a guy at the one IRL tournament I attended who went on to become the national champion the same year despite him drawing both blank tiles for example).

It's a good feeling to know there are things at which you truly excel. Good luck with your goal, OP.

>>25154335
Female brains are inferior, it's that simple. They're cute though and that's all that matters.
>>
>>25154490

>Literally EVERY high-grade chess player they've ever examined used pure rote skills (as in purely memory-based, not reasoning, on FMRI scans and shit). They just end up memorizing so many previous games and effective combinations that they are literally walking chess probability databases.

This isn't true at all. They do memorize a lot however, Carlsen says he has memorized over 10,000 games.
>>
>>25154497
It's an expression I came up with, because he had at least 5 kids, only two may have been with the same woman. He got married while he was married, he cheated on his wife repeatedly, all this other bullshit. He was a player and spread his genes wherever he went.

>tfw even coming from Chad genes you are a failure
>>
Can any of you cuckolds beat me?

http://lichess.org/rQJYWHvI
>>
>>25153544
i dont play but i did make ceramic set
>>
http://lichess.org/rcPYfUlE

5 minute blitz, lets go
>>
Chess is really overrated. You have to invest too much time into studying opening moves and strategies so you can out-metagame your opponents. In the end, it boils down to who's read the most books on the subject. If I'm going to sit down and play a board game, I'm not going to make a significant time investment out of it. I just want to pick up and play, not waste months reading chess guides so I can have even a fraction of a chance of winning.

This is why I prefer games like go or backgammon. Given either the size of the game board or the difficulty of predicting where the pieces can end up, there aren't as many patterns to anticipate, so strategy involves adapting to your opponent's choices in a more realtime sense. This is a more "pure" definition of strategy, in my opinion.
>>
>>25154599

>more pure definition of strategy
>has dice
>chess is too hard

Fuck off lol
>>
File: 2014-04-04 14.57.38.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-04 14.57.38.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>25154555
Vidja theme
>>
>>25154661
more autistic than actually playing desu good job
>>
chess is for manlets

play a real sport kiddo
>>
>>25154661
those monkeys are cute
>>
>>25154661

This is cute. How did you become so cute?
>>
>>25154661
>Pawns-prinny/alien homonid
>Bishops-murlock/ape escape
>Knights-kuppa troopa/deku scrub
>Rooks-black mage/red mage
>Queens-little sister/peach
>Kings-big daddy/darunia
>>
http://lichess.org/QgxOqsom

more 5 min blitz, lets go
>>
>>25154561
Well played, in my defense there are currently 10g of Thai pimps in my body
>>
>>25154806

gg brah, the recapture with the pawn discovered check into queen loss wasn't super easy to see, you were playing okay up til then.
>>
>>25154698
no autism here
>was in ceramics in high school
>needed senior project
>chess simple and fun to make
>>
>>25154792
oh and swap kuppa and deku and the teams are shown in correct order
>>
>>25154724
>>25154661
Ape Escape my nigga
>tfw old games
>>
>>25154618

Bobby Fischer promoted the randomization of the starting position of a game of chess in order to increase the game's dependence on thinking at the board.

>dice

Randomization indeed takes strategy up a notch by throwing the players off. Although a throw of the die could put you in a bad position, a smart player would be able to adapt to their circumstances in realtime.
>>
http://lichess.org/QQ9VS3mo

blitz 5/8

2/0 so far, last guy had a pretty good caro kann, but blundering the queen is unrecoverable
>>
>>25154801
Do you know what the option of giving your opponent 15 seconds is for?
Just for niceness or can it give you an tactical advantage?
>>
>>25155178

just for when you want to keep playing in the face of a time out
>>
>>25154830
How much does it take you to make this? And what cost?
>>
http://lichess.org/RGY4nx3H

aight last call to dethrone me, 5 minute bits, then I gotta take off
>>
>>25155525
Took a semester of school but could have done in couple weeks...i really slaked off to make that my only project

Class supplied clay and glaze so cost is unknown

Sorry for long response time, at work
>>
I used to at a lot growing up, but I never got into the knowledge about it. Now I haven't played in years, and it is kind of depressing realizing how bad I actually was. How does one start to really play?
>>
>>25156328
Start by playing better players than you. One of the best ways imo.
1. google
2. chess books on:
general strategy/tactics
openings
midgame
endgame
puzzles
nimzovich has a nice book for just above beginner level, but most importantly play with better players than yourself, find a club

i kinda wish i had the time and means to do such things, but, well

if you get into it, really get into it you'll be making progress, like with anything else i guess
>>
>>25156434
Finding time to play real people is hard because of work and school. I'll look into that book, though. I know there are tons of books, but I had no idea where to start.
>>
>>25156567
there HAVE to be places where you could play online, you just gotta look into it, which you will if you really want to get into the game
you really have to play people, and that's also the fun part of it-playing the game
>>
>>25156567

Jeremy Silman's books are quite good for class C+ players, Nimzovich's book is probably for about that level as well honestly.
>>
File: 1449456957781.jpg (16 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449456957781.jpg
16 KB, 250x250
>>25156698
>chess
>fun

If you are literally autistic, of course. Tons and tons of fun!
>>
>>25156944

Competition is fun, solving problems is fun.
>>
>>25156944

nice meme pic
nice meme arrows
nice literally
nice use of 'autism'
nice sarcasm
nice bait

here's a (you), you
>>
>>25156996
Competition of who's the most autistic, agree.

>>25157002
nice pointing out of memes

>implying it's not true
>>
>>25156944
chess is combat, combat is fun,
you fucking failure,
fucking start play chess asshole, even on mobile
>>
my girl used to be a local (state-equivalent) junior champion. I manage to beat her around 30% of the time so I guess I'm okay.

thing is I'm only used to her tricks so I might not do nearly as well against someone else.
>>
>>25156923
Awesome! Thanks. I'll look for them.

>>25156698
Online, sure. It's the time that concerns me. I'm a bit more free now that finals are over, but my free time vanishes once school starts. At least against a computer I can make a few movies at a time and put it down, though I don't feel like I'm progressing with it.

I agree that the fun part is playing against people, though. I get a rush when I'm in a good game, like my hands start shaking.
>>
White to move. What's white's best move/idea?
>>
>>25157562
Rook eat horse. CZECH mate almost. Yes I said CZECH. Wanna fight about it?
>>
>>25157656
Wrong. It's a decent move but much worse than another, much stronger move.
>>
>>25157562
Queen to b1?
>>
>>25157769
The horse will double cross the queen's integrity, rendering her authority all mashed up. If the king finds out he's gonna order a thorough examination by the royal medics and she's in deep trouble.
>>
i was never challenged on chess because no one knew how to play it.
i remember beating people in 3 moves by releasing my queen as fast as possible and just moving right in front of their line, then move your bishops out behind her.
if your opponent allows you to get bishops out they deserve to lose.
>>
>>25157769
Qb1 loses a tempo to Bg6
>>
>>25157747
Rook to E7? Top Knight is locked without losing the rook, bottom Knight can't threaten without getting taken, removing pawn at E6 opens the field.
>>
I like to pretend I play Chess and have a nice expensive cool looking chess board in my apt , but the truth is I find the game incredibly boring after awhile and would rather play video games instead. Like I'd rather play street fighter against a competitive opponent than boring ass chess.
>>
>>25157884
The Qb is lost without her secret lover, Bg. But her tempo can be restored with repentance and focusing on re-serving the king sexually. It's her duty as holy matron.

>>25157899
Wrong. The bottom knight can't be penetrated since the Top knight's chastity device is made out of reinforced metal. Some pawn bullied him and threw his key into the well so he's blocked. It seems like a stalemate m8.
>>
>>25153544

add me on chess.com, I'm 1611 USCF but just started playing tournaments again after a year in person and am probably closer to 1700

erosenst on chess.com
>>
>>25157899
Re7 is the strongest move you can make with that particular rook because it is a solid idea.
It isn't the best idea, though.
>>
>>25158050
Well. When in doubt, Pa3?
>>
Pawn to G4
>>
>>25157562
1. Rxg7+ Kxg7 2. Be3. Threatening both mate with 3. Qf6 and just taking the queen
>>
>>25157562
lol mate in four check it.

1. Bishop E3, if queen takes e3 2. Rxg7, KxRg7 3.Qf6, kH7 4. Rh8 checkmate
>>
>>25158121
When some of your pieces are pointed at the king ask yourself if there's a mating net. If not, is there a way to create a mating net?
>>25158195
After 2.Be3 Black has Ng3+!
>>25158212
you got it. Bd1 and Bg1 are also strong. It isn't necessarily mate - black just has to give up their queen in exchange for a rook.
Ra8+ also mates after Qxe3.
>>
>>25158050
But the rook had a bad brush with some recent flooding, so its delicate soles are under threat. She's supposed to be still so all her poop rests on her feet, nobody to scoop it out of there, no interest. So it's quite shaky idea, definitely.

>>25158121
Chess is not a game of doubts. You either play or you don't. Please don't pollute this environment with your wain hope, Carlsen wannabee.

>>25158195
The queen isn't prepared to mate yet. You can't just take her, she needs a lot of foreplay, especially if she's threatened with a threesome.
>>
Chess is too boring. It rewards memorization too much in the opening. All beginner levels games are decided by blunders, which means you can't properly enjoy winning without seeming like an asshole. If you have a chessboard you can play Arimaa instead, and Arimaa is a lot more fun.
>>
my favorite opening after all this time is queen's gambit
>>
>>25159517
That was the one opening I was trying because I liked it, and I like the theory behind it. However, I have no idea how to follow it up.
>>
>>25153544
I'm just trying to get more queens

Also, I don't believe in castling
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.