[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to live in your car and just travel around? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1437420778194.jpg (100 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1437420778194.jpg
100 KB, 750x750
Is it possible to live in your car and just travel around? How much money per month would be required to do something like this?

Alternatively is it possible to live in trains? I'm not talking about hobo style, I'm talking about buying a monthly pass or something and just sleep in the trains during night.

I'm getting kicked out and these seem like the most reliable solutions, I can't afford my own place.
>>
I dont know about these things but it sounds really comfy with the trains
wish you luck anon keep up the positive attitude
>>
>>25152530
also what country are you in I imagine usa?
>>
>>25152530
It'd be impossible to keep moving you'd have to settle in a new city or something just get a van and have like 3k
>>
File: Diogenes-statue-Sinop-enhanced.jpg (156 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes-statue-Sinop-enhanced.jpg
156 KB, 720x960
>Alternatively is it possible to live in trains? I'm not talking about hobo style, I'm talking about buying a monthly pass or something and just sleep in the trains during night.

My friend did this. It basically ended up as if he's paying rent at a cheap place, it doesn't pay.

If you don't travel much it's cheap to live in your car, take showers at public places.

It really depends on where you live, anon, and how good you are with your resources. People collect bottles to give back for money, there are other cheap services you can do like a human sign post or something, if you have talents you can busk.

Plenty of options and it is possible, you can even beg, but cars will require maintenance, tax, insurance etc so I wouldn't personally do it.

I'd say go full cynic, ditch everything you have, sleep at shelters and wonder around, see where things take you before you starve to death or something.
>>
>>25152562
Thank you

>>25152592
nope, Turkey. I was checking the monthly train passes. If I get one with the bed it's about 190 dollars which is way too expensive for me. If I get a regular one it's between 55-70 dollars.

>>25152598
The trains have wifi, electricity and toilets. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me.
>>
It's pretty much too late for me, OP, but I think about doing this a lot, just traveling around.

I'd look at youtube for ideas on van and RV living. Seems pretty cheap, you can save up a lot of money doing it like that.

Also google 'early retirement extreme', there's a lot of people on there pursuing financial independence.
>>
>>25152530
Well let's hope you have some start up cash and a vehicle worthy of living such as a van or a truck with a shell in because a car won't cut it in the long run
How do you plan on making money? Do you know any crafts or trades because digging ditches for Labor Ready for minimum wage and panhandling won't allow you to make more money than you're spending
Do you plan to ever settle down anywhere, or how long will you stay in each town?
Food, gas, auto repairs and basic needs all accounted for I don't think it'll ever fly
>>
>>25152530
Just sell your boipussy senpai.
>>
I live in a van and make about 15-20k/year. I travel for a living though (touring musician).

I have a friend who hitchhikes and buses all over (he's never had a licence) and makes a good chunk of his living firespinning at clubs and festivals. He also treeplants for 4 months a year though

Tldr yes but you need some income.

Also, I live off of nuts, bananas, and oranges.
>>
>>25152598
>I'd say go full cynic, ditch everything you have, sleep at shelters and wonder around, see where things take you before you starve to death or something
Why does "wander until you die" keep coming up in some romanticized way on this board? I've actually hithhiked and train hopped and it's fun but would be a miserable way to die (also survival instincts will compelling you to steal food before you starve)
>>
>>25153059
Florida? That sounds cozy
>>
>>25153276
From Oregon but I'm in Canada right now.

Winters can be cold and shitty even in the van (have to wake up every 3 hours freezing to turn on the engine and run the heat) and everything is slightly damp when it rains. Showering can be hard, especially at 4 am after gigs and bathing in a bar sink only does so much
>>
>>25152530
>How much money per month would be required to do something like this?
why not do the math idiot
>>
>>25153059

how frequently do you encounter danger? I've been thinking about doing this but am worried about getting robbed
>>
I'm a homeless dude that lives in a 5x10 storage unit. it's 60 bucks first month and 120 after that, I have electricity and there's plenty of places to shower, eat, and work since I'm right in town. If you do this, tell the manager it's your "work space" and they won't wonder why you're in there in the middle of the night
>>
>>25153633
Yo dude I thought about doing that so I could live in LA or NYC but I thought it was impossible I would sleep on a futon so easy in that shit

I sleep in a 7by 10 storage closet in a house and all I have is a clamp light and a space heater there's literally just enough room for a mstress and a desk for my water. I spend all day downstairs watching TV wishing I lived somewhere else
>>
>>25153884

It's not impossible but it's hard. I have to sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag because it will look shifty if I take a bed in there.
>>
>>25154021
A futon could easily be stored in a bpx
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.