[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deep thoughts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20
File: spookydog.jpg (63 KB, 504x409) Image search: [Google]
spookydog.jpg
63 KB, 504x409
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

-Author unknown
>>
What if we really are in the Matrix?
-me, 15, having just seem the Matrix at the cinema.
>>
File: Descartes.jpg (12 KB, 240x294) Image search: [Google]
Descartes.jpg
12 KB, 240x294
>>25147857

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obmDaThBzlo
>>
File: 1442186829804.png (398 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1442186829804.png
398 KB, 480x600
>>25147824
this is my favorite
I'm literally waiting for the next time a normie uses that "everything happens for a reason" meme so I can say it
>>
>>25147824
>-Author unknown
that's not true

the quote is actually
"We are among those nations that, as it were, are not members of mankind but exist only to give the world some terrible lesson." -- Pyotr Chaadayev
>>
Has anyone ever actually...Thought deeply about humans life? and reality for that matter? To think what the fuck this reality thing is gives me this weirdest ass feeling, man.
>>
>>25147857
what if the universe is so crazy as fuck, we can't even comprehend it
-me, in high school
>>
This thread is sponsored by AlphaBrain tm
>>
File: 1427935411676.jpg (5 KB, 255x141) Image search: [Google]
1427935411676.jpg
5 KB, 255x141
>what if I put my bed in this other corner
me, before moving my bed
>>
File: sheepdogwholenewmeaning.jpg (25 KB, 560x374) Image search: [Google]
sheepdogwholenewmeaning.jpg
25 KB, 560x374
>>25147957

>Has anyone ever actually...Thought deeply about humans life? and reality for that matter?

Of course. That's pretty much what philosophy is all about.

>To think what the fuck this reality thing is gives me this weirdest ass feeling, man.

I'm no expert in Japanese, but I believe in Japan that feeling can be described as "yuugen". Somewhat surprisingly, Japan actually doesn't have much of a tradition of philosophy outside of Zen Buddhism and other religious beliefs.
>>
>>25147957
lots of people have, it is called philosophy, also its retarded cousin religion

*tip*
>>
>>25148063
>*tip*
that's not even really *tips fedora* talk, it is literally several whole fields of study and discourse
>>
When we die we will enter the Astral plane it will be greater then we can ever imagine. This life is pointless when we die we will really live
>>
>>25148032
>>25148063

Nah, I don't mean the "meaning of life" and shit.

I mean, i'm literally trying to, shit I don't know how to say it. Think outside reality? Try to comprehend it? I dunno. it just gives me this strange feeling, I kinda like it.
>>
File: dogwig.jpg (17 KB, 450x456) Image search: [Google]
dogwig.jpg
17 KB, 450x456
>>25147926

Cool, thanks for the info.
>>
>>25147824
this has some truth to it
>>
>>25148097

>I mean, i'm literally trying to, shit I don't know how to say it. Think outside reality? Try to comprehend it?

As we told you, that's philosophy.
>>
I hate myself I hate myself because I am no longer an authentic creature. Over time living in society, my very values and ways of thinking have been warped and diluted through my interactions with other humans. I want to be myself, but it's too late. I've evolved into an empty mosaic, composed of other people's ideas and beliefs. The only authentic thing about me is this terrible realization, that I am a product of my surroundings. I control nothing, not even my own thoughts.
>>
>>25148123

spooky

OriginalelliotdonenothingwrongComment
>>
>>25148137

But anon, you are the product of your genetics and conditioning. All of us are.

>I control nothing, not even my own thoughts.

Most thoughts just come to us, and the ones that it seems we "choose" to think are simply piggybacking on earlier ones that just came to us.

Try to sit still for five minutes and not think a thought. It's virtually impossible.

Whether we want them to come or not, they come.
>>
As time goes on it gets more
-Mikey P the Don Dada
>>
Do you think any gay men go to prison on purpose?
>>
A man has caved another mans head in with a salmon at one point in history.
>>
>>25148191
I read a short story in high school about a lady who killed her husband with a frozen lamb leg, then cooked it and served it to the responding police so there'd be no evidence of a murder weapon

it was p good
>>
>>25148191

Sounds a bit fishy.
>>
"There are more stars in out Galaxy, than there are atoms in the entire universe"

Blows my mind every time.
>>
File: ou.jpg (29 KB, 332x499) Image search: [Google]
ou.jpg
29 KB, 332x499
>>25148243

Haw haw.
>>
>>25147907

This is really interesting, I knew very little about Descartes apart from his famous quote.

He was an incredible thinker, a real independent thinker.
>>
File: xy.png (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
xy.png
14 KB, 300x300
>>25148281

He also thought up the Cartesian coordinate system.

As far as I know, to the end he was a believer in dualism and the existence of a soul/spirit independent from the brain. I think he was mistaken on that matter, though.
>>
File: feels.jpg (145 KB, 1200x1514) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
145 KB, 1200x1514
>[Modern man] is blind to the fact that, with all his rationality and efficiency, he is possessed by "powers" that are beyond his control. His gods and demons have not disappeared at all; they have merely got new names. They keep him on the run with restlessness, vague apprehensions, psychological complications, an insatiable need for pills, alcohol, tobacco, food -- and, above all, a large array of neuroses.

-Carl Jung
>>
>>25148472
Holy shit last night I went on a Carl Jung video binge scary deep stuff
>>
>>25148500

Any particular ones that you found especially interesting?
>>
>>25148620
The Self and dreams, the shadow is something else
>>
In he morning when thou risest unwillingly, let this thought be present- I am rising to the work of a human being. Why then am I dissatisfied if I am going to do the things for which I exist and for which I was brought into the world? Or have I been made for this, to lie in the bed-clothes and keep myself warm?- But this is more pleasant.-
Marcus Aurelius
>>
>We were made to suffer. It's our lot in life." -3pO
>>
File: mgm.jpg (47 KB, 720x530) Image search: [Google]
mgm.jpg
47 KB, 720x530
"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity, and fashion will drive them to acquire any custom."

-George Bernard Shaw
>>
Any of you guys ever wonder about where your lives are going?

People so often act like it's going to get better, but I often find that despite my best efforts, life keeps getting worse.
>>
File: soinin kaksi puolta.jpg (129 KB, 860x470) Image search: [Google]
soinin kaksi puolta.jpg
129 KB, 860x470
When you show caveman technology,he will consider it as magic.When you show modern man magic,he will consider it as technology
>>
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
What does /r9k/ think of antinatalism?

>If children were brought into the world by an act of pure reason alone, would the human race continue to exist? Would not a man rather have so much sympathy with the coming generation as to spare it the burden of existence, or at any rate not take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?

-Schopenhauer
>>
>>25147824

Im okay with this. Guess Ill just be the worst I can possibly be.
>>
File: SleepyUkrainians.jpg (257 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
SleepyUkrainians.jpg
257 KB, 1280x853
Maybe I'm just being too /edgy/ here but does anyone else feel that life is just a strange phenomenon? We're just self-replicating molecules on a rock floating in space. Nothing mean shit, it doesn't matter. Only what can happen does happen.
>>
>>25149852
Schopenhauer wasn't a philosopher, he was just whiny a bitch who plagiarized and got away with it because he added "so what is the point of even living" at the end of the theories of greater minds
>he would be the king of robots
>>
It weirds me out thinking of how I perceive my own existence, like I'm the main character in a story, is the same as how every other human on Earth perceives themselves, as has every human throughout the coarse of history. Really puts you not being special at all whatsoever into perspective.
>>
>>25149224
Yeah man. Well better or worse, it's all the same shit day in, day out for everyone.
>>
>>25150523

You remind me of the topic of this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTmTNxl9IxE

Starts off a bit slow but he brings up some interesting points.
>>
File: covers - TCATHR.jpg (75 KB, 907x1360) Image search: [Google]
covers - TCATHR.jpg
75 KB, 907x1360
https://wizchan.org/hob/src/1449244234773-0.pdf
>>
When do you guys get your deepest thoughts? I always seem to get mine while being alone and drinking in nature.
>>
>>25152275
I get mine when I am depressed and questioning my self worth.
>>
File: Tunnel.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
Tunnel.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
>>25151933
Hm yes interesting points at the end. I wonder a lot about DNA's role. What does it mean for us? We're not even 100% sure what came first, RNA-DNA, protocells-cells? Does it even matter?
>>
>>25152275
>>25152389

What kind of thoughts do you have?
>>
What's your skype? I want to discuss deep stuff with you guys.
>>
>>25152818
What's wrong with discussing here?
>>
>>25152818

I'd really like to do that too, but I'm way too cautious to post contact info. It seems too risky.
>>
>why does money come in green?
>are there coyotes in forests or that's just a legend?
>many costumes are not properly sewn, why?
>do witches in stories provoke old women phobia?
>why are movies never aired backwards?
>do parades hire professionals or can I paint a huge box and participate too?
>can we ever verify what amount of balls get stolen?
>how come we are able to die, is death really the opposite of birth?
>>
>>25148175
thats actually a pretty good question my desu senpai
>>
>>25148175
>>25153484

>deep thoughts

But it's honestly a pretty good question though
>>
>>25148097
yeah I get this feeling I know what you're talking about

I'd describe like, you're trying to comprehend what the fuck is going on like holy shit what the fuck is existence, because there is no 'reference point' to stand in relation to 'what the fuck is going on' that is not itself, also subject to the same 'what the fuck is this reference point'.

reality is absurd/bizzare/madness/insanity all the way down. it's incomprehensible because whatever viewpoint or whatever the place where the comprehension comes from is also in itself incomprehensible

hard thing to explain but I know what you're talking about. I think of it as life being insanity essentially. madness/macabre/bizarre. there is simply no non-insane place in which to stand in order to comprehend reality. there is no reference point to ground it against. it's ALL insanity
>>
that's the amazing thing about evolution; one day you have a frog and the next day it might evolve into a rabbit or a pig
>>
>>25153942
Rabbits also have jumpy legs, and frog legs are just as delicious as bacon. This partly explains the evolutionary heritage of these amazing mammals.
>>
>>25149852
I am an antinatalist

I think even if we put away the pessimism about life, or thoughts about how valuable life actually is, I don't think people should have kids still

because lets say ok you accept normal lives are generally good and worth living. but, there is no guarantee, at all, that your child will have a normal life. there is just sooooo many fucking things that can go wrong. your kid might have some horrible disease, it might be born, suffer greatly and die anyway, not even seeing it's first birthday. it might have harlequin syndrome, it might be born with schizophrenia or depression it could have any number of disgustingly horrible shit happen to them. it could be kidnapped raped and tortured.

so all of this you are risking when having a child. but what do you gain? wat does the child gain? the BEST case scenario involves a healthy child. a child who is now burdened with school , work, who must now struggle it's entire life in a constant struggle to attain foor water shelter comfort etc. and when it acheives those things. what happens? is he rewarded with pleasure? no he is delivered to boredom, and inevitable the needs come back, he gets hungry again, cold again, his body aches he gets tired.

life is a whole lot of misery and not enough pleasure. inflicting this condition on someone that doesn't have to be - it's existence is entirely needless, and therefore to create a child is the epitome of selfishness, is morally reprehensible

you create a future death, you create a lifetime of sufferings, you create need, you create pains and misery, when you have a child.

this is why women are evil. they create children without any regard for anything other than themselves. they're stupid fucking idiots.

the most important decision a human can possibly make - more important than taking a life - and it's left up to the nigger of genders. it's left up to fickle self-centered big bodied irresponsible fucking whores
>>
>>25154257
The idea of "life is bad" is only a human creation. The human brain needs to label things, and by labeling life as bad you may arrive at "antinatalism". In reality, life isn't bad or good. Suffering is strictly a human thing due to the psychological component of ego, in other words emotional resistance through negative labeling .
>>
>>25154586

>Suffering is strictly a human thing

Hogwash. Many animals, too, can suffer.

I imagine many of us consider "bad" to be synonymous with "suffering", "full of suffering", things along those lines, by the way.
>>
File: 1426203278148.png (375 KB, 512x368) Image search: [Google]
1426203278148.png
375 KB, 512x368
>>25154257
you weren't asked if you wanted to exist, and neither was anyone else, and neither will your kids. would you choose to never exist? how can you expect your kids to hate life like you do?
>>
>>25154586
Truth man. The entire idea of anything being good or bad is bunk. It just is. But I think there is something to what people want. Emotions exist, either for "good" reasons or "bad". Pretty much everyone wants to avoid suffering and not having children ensures another life does not suffer or experience joy or anything else for that matter
>>
>>25154939
Not that anon, but it's the same argument. How can you expect your kids to hate life, how can you expect your kids to enjoy life? To me it's the uncertainty + what are we reaching like 7 billion population wise?
>>
>>25155031

A utilitarian definition of "bad" renders "bad" pretty much synonymous with "suffering" or "that which causes suffering".

There is suffering, therefore bad things do exist. Unless you don't accept that definition of "bad".
>>
File: Earth.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Earth.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>25155441
I agree but I'd put it more on the biological side of things. Suffering doesn't exist to a rock. To me there is suffering and that is bad. Most biological entities can feel that at least.
>>
"What are you gonna do, stab me?"
-Quote by man who was stabbed
>>
>>25155615

Was he stabbed deep?

Get it, deep, cause this is a "deep" thread.

I'm sorry that was awful...
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 645x773
>>25148137
>i want to be myself

>yfw you realise there is no self, the individual ego does not exist
>>
>>25154937
>he uses 'hogwash' unironically
>>
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.
>>
File: received_1003590636349208.jpg (45 KB, 480x664) Image search: [Google]
received_1003590636349208.jpg
45 KB, 480x664
>>25148233
I read that story too.
>>
>An eye for an eye may make the whole world blind, but when's the last time you saw the blind fighting each other?

I came up with that for a report in High School
>>
Game theory is probably the only rational explanation in every social science and it's virtually untaught in any widespread or systematic manner.
>>
>>25157604
what's that, please explain
>>
This is the deepest shit on all of 4chan:
>>25157653
>>
>>25157697
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31503875
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.