[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think most of our problems would be solved if we were more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: aitSLmt.jpg (157 KB, 1280x689) Image search: [Google]
aitSLmt.jpg
157 KB, 1280x689
I think most of our problems would be solved if we were more intrinsically motivated.

There should be a combination of substances out there that forces the brain into an extremely introverted state, where things like a real-life girlfriend, friends, and social recognition are deemed as low-priority items.

With those things out the picture, we could sincerely enjoy ourselves in purely solitary pursuits. It wouldn't matter if those things would lead to extrinsic benefits later-only the self is given any conscious attention. You would be able to watch anime for weeks on end and be 100% satisfied because your brain would not be able to make you depressed because of your substance induced lack of interest in external things.

I really do envy people who are like this naturally, like schizoids and the devastatingly autistic. There should be a fail safe mechanism in the brain that is automatically triggered after a prolonged period of unsuccessful interactions in the social world. It would shut-down all reward systems in the brain that correspond to social success, and reroute those neural networks to those that preside over internal rewards. Sometimes genetics fucks people, and the brain should be able to compensate for that in the year 2015. It's exhausting having to deal with being stuck inside of an organic machine that urges you and subsequently rewards you for doing things it thinks is "good" when that "good" is just something that was arbitrarily determined by evolution and the arbitrary idea that life needs to propagate.

Anyone have any idea how to hack this shit so I can feel more autotelic?
>>
>>25134558
>Anyone have any idea how to hack this shit so I can feel more autotelic?
Not quite. You made an exceptionally intelligent post, however, and that's why I'm responding.

5/5 Quality. Would read again, but it's so clearly written, that whether or not I agree with everything, I don't think it's necessary to reread.
>>
File: 5ab8-3KZW0k.jpg (39 KB, 362x480) Image search: [Google]
5ab8-3KZW0k.jpg
39 KB, 362x480
Have you checked out Stoicism, Cynicism, Buddhism or Taoism, anon?
>>
>>25135385
I've read some Buddhism and Taoism and have really enjoyed what both belief systems offer, but I'm too afraid to make the plunge.

I'll have to check out Stoicism and Cynicism.
>>
File: DoaKKW1h_Tg.jpg (55 KB, 615x900) Image search: [Google]
DoaKKW1h_Tg.jpg
55 KB, 615x900
>>25136196
Check out intro books on Cynicism.
Something like "The Cynic Philosophers from Diogenes to Julian".

For Buddhism and Taoism I highly suggest Allan Watts, his talks are on youtube and his books are pretty insightful, especially "The Book" which is basically a starter pack to this way of life.
>>
>>25136257
Thanks for the suggestions.

blox
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.