[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a fucking eyesore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: London-skyline_CS.jpg (623 KB, 1280x843) Image search: [Google]
London-skyline_CS.jpg
623 KB, 1280x843
What a fucking eyesore
>>
File: los-angeles-skyline.jpg (87 KB, 1000x556) Image search: [Google]
los-angeles-skyline.jpg
87 KB, 1000x556
>>25125872
Looks better than this hole of a city does.
>>
>>25125872
is that mexico? desu senpai
>>
>>25125929
It's London chap
>>
>>25125872
Isn't it astounding how small "big" cities actually look when you look at them on google maps or on aerial photos? They look so easy to mentally absorb, I always wanted to live in a huge city, but then I started looking up actual huge cities, and they're not huge at all, barring some rare exceptions in non-western countries.

When I travel I love to walk and I find myself covering so much distance on foot, and seeing so many things that I don't know how I would stand this if I actually lived there. I can see having multiple daily walking routes on the OP pic, and then I'd do them and ask myself "now what"? Is this really it?
>>
I thought it was Baltimore for a second, kek.
>>
>>25126096
NY. NY is fucking huge. Once you've seen it everything looks like a village. Same with Tokyo.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x563
>>25126096
Yada yada words words even tho 1 pic is a 1000
>>
>>25126136
>43 millions vs 20 millions
>>
File: DSC02022.jpg (282 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
DSC02022.jpg
282 KB, 1500x844
Hopefully London goes full on cyberpunk, They already used parts of it for the alien city in Guardians of the Galaxy
>>
>>25126150
Wikipedia says 38 vs 14, not that that's that different

Plus re: the actual point of that I think it's true much of Tokyo is more like suburbs than real city. Albeit more sense than typical American suburbs.
>>
it has a great rail system though
>tfw my area will never have this many trains
>>
>>25125872
I can smell the stank from all the sandniggers from here.
>>
>>25126179
Hasn't London been in a few of the MCU movies already? Why don't they get some more diversity in locations? I mean, we've only had one east asian location so far and zero from latin america.
>>
>>25126123
LA, as well, if you count the counties and cities that are part of the greater area. (OC and the like will bitch about being called "part of LA," but there's no gap or anything between them.)

It doesn't really have that "big city" feeling like NYC or Tokyo do, though.

Speaking of Tokyo, it's insane. I'll never forget looking out the window of my hotel room in Shinbashi across the city and realizing just how far those huge high-rise buildings stretched into the distance. There really is something special about the place, it's like a fictional supercity out of a sci-fi movie, and you can't really believe it until you see it.
>>
>>25126315
LA seems like it's just a really sprawled-out hellhole of the most unimaginably awful people all in one place. I hate NY but I would still prefer it over ever visiting there.
>>
>>25126179

London will go full Islam.
>>
>>25126315
>It doesn't really have that "big city" feeling like NYC or Tokyo do, though.

L.A. kinda feels like the world's largest village, desu.
Main difference is that in a village you can reach everything on foot.
>>
>>25125872
>no ferriswheel
>no big bong

wat
>>
>>25126455
it'd be awesome if Big Ben was actually replaced with a giant bong
>>
>>25126315
I live in Los Angeles county. I've never heard anyone refer to Orange County as part of Los Angeles.
& there is definitely a gap between these two counties.
>>
>>25126357
>>25126436
Pretty much gets it.

The one upshot to LA is that, if you have a car, you can get out of the city and into the wilderness really easy. Being able to get in the car and be on top of a mountain within an hour is one of the only things that keeps me sane here. If I wasn't stuck at home with a cold I could be making snowballs an hour from now.

(A friend of mine took this shot last night, it only takes about 20 minutes to get from city neighborhoods to get there.)
>>
>>25125911
I mean, LA looks beautiful in romanticized pictures such as that one. But yeah, IRL the place is a stinking shit fuck hole. Has some nice indie coffee shops though.
>>
>>25126566
It's all one continuous metro, there's no empty land or anything between them. You can drive from downtown to Anaheim and the only clue that you've crossed over is a sign and the fact that the freeway gets a few extra lanes.

It's referred to as the "Greater LA Area," there's even a whole Wikipedia page on it, and the first line is:

>The Greater Los Angeles Area is the second-largest urban region in the United States, encompassing five counties in the southern part of the U.S. state of California, extending from Ventura County in the west to San Bernardino County and Riverside County on the east, with Los Angeles County and Orange County in the center.
>>
File: London-Futures-Aerial-Flood2.jpg (404 KB, 585x426) Image search: [Google]
London-Futures-Aerial-Flood2.jpg
404 KB, 585x426
>>25125872
Don't worry, that shithole will be underwater before the end of the century.
>>
>>25126759
they'll just seal off the lower floors and London will become like Venice
sounds pretty cool actually
>>
>>25126787
>like venice.

You mean an irrelevant shithole slowly sinking into its own sewage, but with no renessance charm that will allow it to linger on as a tourist trap?

Good.

Fuck London.
>>
I was born in and live in London

it's actually pretty good, not sure why it gets so much hate
>>
File: dubaiict.jpg (352 KB, 1280x786) Image search: [Google]
dubaiict.jpg
352 KB, 1280x786
>>25126389
>Going Islam will make the city worse.

I take it you've never heard of Dubai?
>>
>>25126136
We actually have this thing called greenbelt that is meant to prevent urban sprawl like that.

Its great, we get shitloads of fields and farms instead of houses that we can afford.
>>
>>25126914
Dubai skylines look okay because it's consistent and pretty normal modern skyscraper architecture and the weird stuff is fairly subdued, and the big attraction type things are on huge plots that don't clash with the skyline as much because it's clearly its own thing

London is full of architectural nightmares mixed in with otherwise normal city, like that penis-shaped twirly thing or that horrible sharp pyramid
>>
File: burj_dubai_edelman220508_2.jpg (145 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
burj_dubai_edelman220508_2.jpg
145 KB, 900x598
>>25126914
>literally looks post apocalyptic
>>
>>25126914
That place will look like a fucking ghost town when the country's oil market collapses
>>
>live in Chicago my entire life
>see pictures of other large cities across world
>most of them are complete shit
I went to milwaukee and green bay last year and they were both shit. I also went to new york a few years back and thats the only thing that was actually similar to chicago so far.

Anyone know any cities outside the US that actually feel like skyrise cities outside of dubai?
>>
>>25126988
that sounds really cool actually
we need to build more rail lines and start buying oil from Iran/Russia/Venezuela so this happens faster
>>
>>25126988
Yep.

>My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashid_bin_Saeed_Al_Maktoum

We'll see how it works out for them.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.