[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of life? No really. Try and come up with one.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_nx5f0nuYUb1s36gavo2_500.gif (2 MB, 495x278) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx5f0nuYUb1s36gavo2_500.gif
2 MB, 495x278
What is the point of life?

No really. Try and come up with one.
>>
to stay alive and pass on your genes before you physically cannot live anymore ensuring the growth of your species' population

satisfied?
>>
all memes aside, i actually thought about this and there really is none. like no matter what we do we just die, it never matter in the end. there is literally NO point. now i'm depressed.
>>
>>25115890
never matters* fuck my life
>>
>>25115876
Why though? So your kids can live in this shitty world?
>>25115890
These are my thoughts. I try so hard to find a reason but I just can't
>>
>>25115835
Absurdism is the answer in my opinion.
>>
Our deaths are inevitable, but we might as well do stuff in between for the hell of it. I ain't got nothing better to do
>>
>>25115890
>a bloo bloo bloo babbies first existential crisis

get over yourself faggot

the point of life is to do whatever the fuck you want

if you're too spineless to do even something as basic as that then just kill yourself instead of being a fucking leech
>>
I've come to the conclusion that the only reason to live is for others.
If you've got no one to live for, then there's no point living at all.
>>
Fuck bitches get money.

Everything else is just a side quest
>>
i've thought about this for a while and i've pretty much accepted that there is no meaning in life. there's really no point in killing yourself either, unless your life is quite shitty. the only good thing is experiencing sensations of pleasure i guess
>>
>>25115835
There isn't a grand purpose. The point is to follow and fulfill your desires. Doesn't that cover it?
>>
I'm just working at making myself a better fuckable cuteboy, then I plan on selling my body, and then offing myself when the novelty wears off. That's all I've ever wanted to do really
>>
>>25116000
But why do others matter if they're only living for others as well? If x lives for y and y lives for x, how do either of them have value? Why doesn't everyone kill themselves all at once so no one will feel bad for each others deaths?
>>
>>25115835
>to get as much personal satisfaction as possible until you die
>>
>>25116025
>hedonism
But it doesn't work idiot.
>>
File: 1391720740887.jpg (513 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
1391720740887.jpg
513 KB, 2048x1366
>>25115835
There is no answer that someone else can give you to satisfy your question, op. If you want a meaning in life, figure out one for yourself. Here's a pic to get you started.
>>
>>25116009
This. Sexual success in spreading your seed is the only biological reason for living.

Everything else is whatever the fuck you want. I want to better my dad because I hate the prick but he is pretty financially successful, so my main goal is to make millions and rub it in his face. Your goal can be whatever you want mang, it's your life.
>>
>>25115835
To do whatever you feel like doing. You can give anything meaning, the fact that you haven't killed yourself means there's a reason for you to live, even if that reason is just to shitpost on r9k. That's all there is to it, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>25115835
If there was a point to it we wouldn't be in a position to grasp it anyway, and it would need to be told to us by some clearly higher entity since everything we know about ourselves is basically "life was an inevitable accident - a chain reaction of shit".
>>
File: 1444600273574.png (366 KB, 599x399) Image search: [Google]
1444600273574.png
366 KB, 599x399
There is no point, now go do whatever the fuck. Please don't touch the children or spread disease though. Think of the children.
>>
>>25115835
spiritually develop with endless reincarnations

its that simple
>>
>>25116084
how's that, anon?

muhammed ali was a bloxer
>>
>>25116191
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_hedonism

bloxa
>>
>>25116181
I have looked into this.

I always felt like there was something bigger to the universe such as endless reincarnation and developing your soul.

I don't know where to start to develop spiritually though.
>>
>>25115922
>Why though?
Survival. Biology has programmed it into every living being. Your brain rewards you for certain actions and that is the goal why its doing it: to motivate you to reproduce.

>So your kids can live in this shitty world?
Subjective point of view, pretty sure many people other than us are currently enjoying their existence.
>>
>>25116232
I'm stupid, can you put it in Layman's terms?
>>
>>25115835
to cause people pain and then laugh at them
>>
>>25115835
it depend of your mind status and how positive are you about your future
>>
>>25116280
No. Stop asking to be spoonfed everything. Read it nigger, not like you have something better to do.
>>
>>25116286
I know it's the culture here etc etc, but I don't understand sadism. Even if I hate someone, hurting them makes me feel guilty. I have too much empathy.
>>
>>25116000
They create a synergy that has value
>>
>>25116313
you were the one trying to get your point across to begin with. I'd rather be fapping than reading philosophy 101
>>
To become a god
>>
>>25115835
you try shithead. No really!
>>
To become a challenger in league of legends
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0XJCJ1Srw

>the greatest thing you'll ever learn
>is just to love
>and be loved in return
>>
>>25116276
>Survival. Biology has programmed it into every living being. Your brain rewards you for certain actions and that is the goal why its doing it: to motivate you to reproduce.
I agree with everything you said and im sure it would make me happy to bring something into this world. However I get sad when I think about all the things my kid would have to go through. It seriously makes me not want kids.

>Subjective point of view, pretty sure many people other than us are currently enjoying their existence.
I know there are some happy people out there that may be truly happy but I think a lot of them live a fake happiness. It's kind of like a circus & bread kind of thing.
>>
>>25115835

The problem isn't that we can't answer the question; the problem is that the question doesn't even make sense.

What does "meaning" signify in this context? What would it even look like for life to have "meaning"?

Most edgy teens say shit like "it doesn't matter, we all die" or some shit. So what? Even if we lived forever, that wouldn't make life more "meaningful."

The real question is "How should I live my life?" The answer is to pursue a mixture of higher and lower order pleasures. Lower order pleasures include things like sex and food. Higher order pleasures include things like the joy of becoming very good at something, or of solving challenging problems, or of obtaining things like social status. Higher order pleasures could also include the contentment derived from living a virtuous life, or from living your life in such a way that a narrative describing it would be aesthetically satisfying. Once you have determined what you value, your values may even dictate you to make sacrifices.

Ultimately, though, the ultimate value of life is its mystery. We should be in constant awe that anything exists at all, and that we are capable of witnessing it, even if we ultimately have little control over our lives.
>>
>>25116280
Pleasure only exists as a side effect of other things. It can not be attained on it's own, and, in trying to find it, you'll only be distracted from actually feeling it.

Or something like that. I'm pretty stupid too.
>>
>>25116396
thanks, anon. you're not stupid, the article is. what's it even trying to prove? how is seeking pleasure stopping you from feeling it? it makes no sense.
>>
>>25115835

some of those tumblr gifs are pretty alright
>>
>>251You dont set goals for happiness, you just go with the flow and enjoy it, and if you dont, then do some other stuff, or kys. There isnt supposed to be a specific goal of enjoyment imo. If theres something you dont like, then just dont do it, easy as that, even though sometimes you end up having to choose between things you dont enjoy
>>
>>25116424
I have so many tumblr girl gifs you would be ashamed of me
>>
>>25116432
sigh, meant to tag >>25116232
>>
>>25116394
Nothing to add actually, except to say that was really well put. Nicely said anon.
>>
File: lia 11122.jpg (52 KB, 774x465) Image search: [Google]
lia 11122.jpg
52 KB, 774x465
what is the point of life?

to create more life

thats it, doesnt matter if your bacteria or some advanced alien life form, you are created to to create more life...in anyway possible.

lots of people who have come to understand this realise there's really no point...why live if thats all there is
>>
>>25116272
well

in short, we all are actually soul pieces from god, like drops from an ocean
we incarnate for eternity and with things we experience we develop a character pattern which creates "I"
in the conclusion the main lesson is to accept everything as an illusion and our characters and all scenarios we live as a tool for us to develop with sufferings of life. so, have compassion for other people and help them if you can. other than that just exist as a conscious. also there is karma which means whatever you do will get back to you. and only way to get out from that is to loose all your wants, so basically your ego, and just exist
>>
>>25116447

post your hottest
>>
>>25116394
I always found this opinion moot, you are simply asking "what should I do", which has open solutions as every body has different tastes and interests. But the answer to "what is the meaning of life" is always the same: reproduce.
>>
>>25116317
idk why I like it
>>
>>25116067

Because the feel-good chemicals x and y get by living for each other make life seem bearable for a little while longer.
>>
>>25115835

None. Zero. Zip. This was all a horrible accident.
>>
>>25116535
Search 'Luftwaffless' on tumblr.
>>
File: 1450221655122.jpg (5 KB, 279x165) Image search: [Google]
1450221655122.jpg
5 KB, 279x165
>>25116518

This is a test donation.
>>
>>25116272

We all come from one consciousness and by achieving spiritual enlightenment we break the cycle of reincarnation and rejoin that consciousness. The end result would be to have all of humanity collected into one soul, and then we collectively become, for lack of a better term, a god.
>>
>>25116396
here's an example of why this is false, sorry if its a bit lewd. say you find pleasure from orgasming
>in trying to find it, you'll only be distracted from actually feeling it.
by masturbating, you'll still feel pleasure, and working yourself up to orgasm isnt going to distract you from actually feeling it
>>
>>25116610
there is lot to read if u want but thats the summary. ask anything

>>25116627
dont reply to my person you stupid soul piece fuck
>>
>>25116518
Do you recommend any books or anything?

I know a lot of the stuff on this topic is full of disinfo so not sure where to trust.
>>
>>25116602
that ass is saggy to be perfectly honest
>>
>>25116417

By dutifully striving after pleasure the act ceases becoming pleasurable and eventually turns into work.

Think of a heroin junkie after their 200th injection. Chasing that next one becomes less about the pleasure itself and more about alleiving the pain of its absence, hence making the entire goal of pursing pleasure rather cyclical

It's an extreme example due to the biological nature of addiction, but it's the basic principle, and can be applied to any act stereotypically thought of as hedonistic; think sex or food. The pleasure itself is a fleeting feeling that cannot be sustained and isn't a very substantial goal on its own, so chasing after it becomes more and more futile the more you do it since the end goal, becomes less rewarding and more difficult to achieve the more you chase it, since you have to peform more of the act to get marginally more pleasure. Eventually the entire act becomes pointless, and without the act the pleasure can't be attained.
>>
>>25116569
That's a shit answer. Even the best possible scenario between x and y would be equivalent to them never existing at all.
>>
File: tumblr_nx3rpu1fro1s36gavo3_500.gif (2 MB, 495x259) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx3rpu1fro1s36gavo3_500.gif
2 MB, 495x259
>>25116789
I still lover her
>>
>>25116394
great answer
>>
>>25116768
you know, i can give many stuff to read. but it will just too much time of you and fuck your whole reality over and your psycholgy will go to shit at some point
ive been there. no need. at all. see there is a quote i like was smtin like this
"stupid ones are interested in with people, average ones with situations and smart ones with ideas"
reading too many things does confuse the fuck out of our minds because every "guru" will tell you different things. but just they are different methods and way to look to things. at the essence, every way that is positive and accepting and loss off ego is correct. all religions, christians, muslims, new age, indian gurus etc etc. rest of the info you will get, if contradictin with the essence i told, is wrong. if supportin it, then its just a way. but there is no "the way". i highly recommend you to just find your own way to those essence qualities i told with your normal daily mind. also i can share basic informations.

after this world there is this place that some calls heaven. some will go there and some will continue theri incarnation cycle at this world. we live in an endless creation. and the learning never ends, even after that heaven, it continues and we just keep incarnating at endless eternity till we reach to that "loss of ego and helpin others without pushin it much" state. just like native americans and aboriginal people. simple wisdom is where it is at
>>
>>25116854

It's a shit answer because there is no real answer. The fact that life exists at all is cosmic accident. You're right, essentially. We might as well not exist at all, but the fact of the matter is we do, and the only things that make life less agonizingly painful than it could be is the oxytocin and dopamine we get from daily pleasures and interactions with others.

Searching for any deeper meaning other than the generational transmission of DNA is going to go nowhere.
>>
>>25116706
>stupid soul piece fuck

Nigga wut

I'm just trying to reach instrumentality homie
>>
>>25116698
i'm glad the hedonism discussion went full circle.
the paradox of hedonism article doesn't make sense, i'm glad we realized that.

hedonism is one answer.
the other is that we are alive to pass on our genes.

so, what is the point of living if:
1. you are on the other side of pleasure (you live in pain/depression)
2. you will not be passing on your genes

then there is just that instinct holding you back from killing yourself. there is no point to me living.
>>
>>25117085
ye i just kiddin

hows enlightment treatin ya?
>>
>>25117139
hello
those
>>25116181
>>25116518
>>25117008
are me

and you are correct
what you missin is that you cant live pleasure continuously without payin for it, if you are not spiritually goin forward. the system doesnt allow that, because the reason of the system is to make u develop. not for you to stay at a level and enjoy. but you are correct about that escapin from pain to pleasure is the main dynamic of it. but if u kill yourself you will gain the karma of it, which means you will incarnate in situations that will put you lower in this situation to teach u that you shoudlnt kill yourself. those are generally borning cripple so u want to be better n all that fuzz etc
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.