[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello people. I come here to do an AmA. An acquaintance of mine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: psicoterapia.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
psicoterapia.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
Hello people. I come here to do an AmA.

An acquaintance of mine told me I should come here and do this. So here I go. I'm 28 years old, I'm a psychotherapist, I live in a "third-world" country, I'm fairly successful economically, and in 2016 I'll be marrying the most beautiful and kind anthropologist. We were childhood friends and then ended up meeting again in a mutual friend's birthday party when we were like 22 years old. He also insisted that I must state that I'm a functional member of society, it seems kind of weird to write it while addressing anonymous readers.

That's all about me he asked me to tell you. So, there you go, ask me anything. I'll answer anything you ask, but I won't break the confidentiality between patient and therapist, nor will I reveal details that may end in identification of myself or any of my patients.

Also, English is not my native language. I picked it up as a second language when I was around 14 years old, so please excuse if my English is not as sharp as it should be.
>>
What? Why? No.
>>
how do i sort my life out
>>
>>25111230

I'm sorry, am I supposed to answer those questions? Are they legitimate questions?

I'm kind of confused by this response.
>>
>>25111189
>psychotherapist

Fuck off, jusbeurselfer.
>>
>>25111273

Most people ask me that. It's just not that easy, and I wouldn't dare give "wild" advice to someone I know nothing about.
>>
>>25111281
It means half of the responses you get will be boring abuse the other half will be pointless and really you just shouldn't have created this thread.
>>
>>25111295

Uh? Is that even a word? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that concept.
>>
>>25111306
>implying you can spout anything else than 'try looking at it from a different way', 'try changing your perspective', 'try looking at the reasons you do this', 'I think the reason is that there's a lot of unresolved anger', 'try to control your emotions', 'is this really important', 'make sure that you're making no assumptions regarding this', and so on and so on even if you 'knew' 'much' about your victims, you professional bullshitter

Again, fuck off.
>>
>>25111189
Oh it's another 'I'm a psychotherapist i swear' thread
>>
I procrastinate, at work and for mostly everything else I do in life, I fail to complete tasks a lot.

What are some good ways to control this, as I'm almost close to wasting my entire career due to this tendency?
>>
>>25111315

Mmm... Why not? Am I breaking any rule, or something like that? If that's the case, then I'm really sorry to have bothered you all.
>>
>>25111295
>>25111356
In other words, 'psychotherapists' are normies supreme. Remember to sage, everyone.
>>
Many people see mental health issues as a "first world problem." In other words, that if people were constantly worried about having enough food, or clean water, or threatened with violence, they wouldn't have time to be depressed.

What do you think of this attitude? Are your patients actually impoverished, or do you exclusively treat the more well-off members of your society?
>>
>>25111356

Those are just "the basic" questions and interventions you "spout" to produce some kind of reflexive thought.

If that's your experience with a psychotherapist, I'm sorry to say that you've had really lousy therapist(s).
>>
>>25111366

Mmm... Most of the people I've seen procrastinate because they cannot get engaged in whatever they're doing. They can't find anything that ties them to the task at hand. Others suffer similar limitations due to anxiety or fears associated with the task.
>>
>>25111432
>Those are just "the basic" questions and interventions you "spout" to produce some kind of reflexive thought.

Translation: 'I'm scum so vain, I literally expect praise and credit (and money -- but let's disregard that even) for reflection and introspection *my victim exclusively* is doing, under the pretense that I have "prompted" it.'

>If that's your experience with a psychotherapist, I'm sorry to say that you've had really lousy therapist(s).

'No true psychotherapist', says every single lousy psychotherapist ever.

Fuck off, off, off.
>>
>>25111390

It's sort of a "standard" answer, but it's the truth. It's a lot more complex than that. I work at a public hospital, where most of the patients have mental health issues associated with poverty, negligence, violence, crime, etc... But I also have my own clinic in the "fancy" side of town. And people also come with serious issues, the big difference is that with the former you have less obstacles to overcome before you can work.

Mental health is a transversal issue, but socioeconomic context influences a lot the presentation, the development, and the amount of work you have to do.
>>
>>25111490

The true Scottsman fallacy? Well, if you're gonna be this hostile, maybe I'll just ignore your badgering. I came here to have a nice civilized chat.
>>
>>25111606
>The true Scottsman fallacy?

Bravo, 'you' totally recognized a fallacy you had committed. Such introspection 'you' have displayed.
>>
People who do "ask me anything" in places like this are merely trying to make themselves feel good OP.

I would suggest being less self-serving. You can take a look at /adv/ if you want to see why you're wasting your time. Go for a walk if you want to feel something positive.
>>
>>25111636

By the way, I've also had a fair share of therapy in order to certify my credentials (standard practice in this country) and also to provide the best service I can to people that come to me.

I don't expect much praise, as a matter of fact most patients who finish their treatments succesfully tend to forget even your name. But the changes on their daily lives remain, and that's what really matters.

Also, I work at a public hospital, and in my private clinic I also treat people for whatever they can pay, or even for free when the case merits it. Fun fact, often patients will pay me with produce from the farms they work in or products from their jobs.
>>
Also.

>>25111606
>I came here to have a nice civilized chat.

>literally exclusively harming your victims' drives by literally exclusively implying for them to 'care less', 'let go', 'don't care that much', 'consider that they're excessively attached/addicted/anxious/angry', recommending them 'mindfulness meditation', telling them to 'consider that their priorities are misplaced', 'consider alternative goals', 'consider that one needs to become more aware of their feelings/thoughts', except ever under the tautological disclaimer of responsibility, '...but in moderation'
>civilization

You're a joke.
>>
>>25111741

Is that so??? My friend told me you guys would enjoy a chat. Was I misled in this?
>>
>>25111761
Don't get me wrong -- a harmful one -- but one nonetheless.

>>25111757
>the changes on their daily lives remain

This much is absolutely certain.
>>
>>25111761

I don't think you're making any sense anymore, are you ok?
>>
>>25111797
Behold the therapist's true colours: implication (>as if a therapist would every state anything explicitly) of a mental condition, so to silence, as soon as you point out that their profession exclusively relies on giving people populist, toxic pseudoadvice to the exclusive effect of caring less, instead of giving true solutions (e.g. how to earn more, how to enter a relationship, and so on).
>>
Hey there, Its cool that you're on here doing this. Alot of people could use some help. I stopped using 4chan for awhile but since im drinking i came back on the ol board and saw your post.

Let me ask you a question. I now go out every weekend and hit on girls. I'm fairly attractive and charismatic so I have a decent success rate with phone numbers and makeouts. Not bragging really. But When it comes to sex I have no desire. I'm not a-sexual and am attracted to women to the point of erections and i jerk off to them. But I feel that i lack a natural sex drive. DO you have any input on this?
>>
>>25111851
>>25111797
Of course, in the scenario OP had in mind, I would respectfully play along and respectfully concede, 'yes, I bow before your certified competence, actually you're right, I will look into the possibility that I might have a personality disorder right away, thank you, thank you'. Not so, scum. You won't have it that easy. You'll have to try harder than to insinuate mental illness and faux concern.
>>
>>25111903
>and faux concern
*and feign concern
>>
>>25111903
In other words, psychotherapists, and the whole rest of psychorabble except psychiatrists, have the mentality of a bully: they throw their platitudes about caring less, observing one's thoughts and feelings, embracing one's free will, stopping to try to change what cannot be changed... and as soon as one points out, for instance, the harmfulness of implying free will, or of self-awareness and empathy, or the defeatism of 'don't try to change the world'... the bully runs away with their tail tucked under, and hides behind implications of 'ohhh... there is a lot of anger in you... you need more therapy. or meds. preferably meds.' Cowards.
>>
>>25111874

Mmm... It's interesting. Most of the patients that come to me for sexual disorders/disfunctions do so because they want to have sex but just can't. I've seen two or three people with the exact scenario you describe.

In those cases the issue was that they were more focused on the thrill of being out there, competing, winning at seducing (men and women)... but were not at all interested in being with another person. One of them often said that sex was like eating a sandwich. All of them got really into sexual relations once they found someone they really liked as a person (one of them even had an extramarital affair he described as "we started fucking like teenagers").
>>
>>25111189

I've but two questions for you, if you don't mind.

> First, this is my result on the RAADS-R

I normally wouldn't put much faith into an online test, but my results are so close to the average Asperger dude that it's weird.

Is there a way for me to ensure that I'm actually not autistic in the slightest?

> Second, how do you change deeply ingrained beliefs?

I'm not talking simply about bad habits (there's abundant litterature on that) but about real, deep and old beliefs like:

> She will betray me one day, they always do
> Being odd is better than being like everyone else
>>
>>25111903
>>25111927
>>25112039

It seems I don't "get" the rules of this place at all. I came here to chat and have a good time, and you meet that with hostility, to a person you don't even know. And I legitimately thought you were making no sense, remember that English is not my native language.

Also, at least out here therapist can't prescribe and are not encouraged to even suggest pharmaceutical treatment without an appointment with a doctor. I work side by side with a really professional psychiatrist.

I'll just say that I work everyday to help people, and most of them are really grateful for that.
>>
>>25111874
>Alot of people could use some help.

But not with spelling. That's just you.
>>
File: do it on cam faggot.jpg (219 KB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
do it on cam faggot.jpg
219 KB, 1000x1502
>>25111189
why are such a faggot OP?

why haven't you killed yourself yet?

>kill yourself faggot
>>
>>25112048

I'm sorry, but I'm not really familiar with this scale. Autism spectre is not even near my field. I know someone who works with autistic and aspergers children, I could show her this and come back to you about it.

Beliefs are really difficult, specially when they have the paranoid element you describe. Most of those beliefs are based on some form of reality, people betray other people every day, being odd is in certain ways better than being like everyone else. The reverse is also true, some people betray less than others, some kinds of "betrayal" are not that bad or destructive. Being odd also exposes you to loneliness and rejection, being like everyone else gets you a free pass to the endogroup and therefore a lot of privileges.

Most beliefs never go away, they tend to fade away or take a more moderate place in the everyday lives of most people.
>>
>>25112164

Wow... That's really terrible.
>>
>>25112039
>they were more focused on the thrill of being out there, competing, winning at seducing (men and women)... but were not at all interested in being with another person.

Yes. Theres a thrill of winning someone over, but I really don't do it with the thought that sex is an endgame. I've always been VERY insecure about my body. Se has always been a "oh no they will judge me!" type feeling and not "hey im about to get laid!" feeling. I've only had sex with one girl before, but we were in a relationship.

This will sound fucked up but i need to say it. When i was little I would go into my sisters room at night and grab their ass while they slept and jerked off. I did this for YEARS. Probably until I was 17 or so. Now I had 0 attraction to them. seriously. No attraction at all. I just got this rush from sneaking into their room at night and touching them. Sometimes I feel like maybe that was the feeling I should get when im about to have sex with a woman but i ruined it. Have you heard anything like this?
>>
>>25112133
>you meet that with hostility, to a person you don't even know

Wow.

Just wow.

Take a look, bots. I've always been reluctant to point out 'projection', it being as everyone knows much overused, but: the themindrapist is so accustomed to attacking others personally, which he did many times ITT when he indulged in alluding a condition of mine (the 'are you okay?', which is frankly an insult so transparent, OP actually tried to sound smart by implying that he uses extremely transparent insults consciously, intentionally, as an innocent stylistic choice) and calling me 'hostile' (whereas every single post of mine contained either an explanation of a fallacy of his or many examples of his harmful, drive-degenerating platitudes)... he is so accustomed to doing this, here he assumed that my attacks were personal as well ('you are attacking *a specific person*, except one you don't know), and not just addressed what he (and every single other themindrapist) SAYS and DOES.
>>
I want to kill myself daily. I have constant feeling like i need to rip my eyes out, tear my skin off my body. Whenever i'm out, i'm shaking uncontrollably. Whenever i see a way to kill myself (tall building, train, drugs) something makes me want to get as close to it and end it, while my consciousness doesn't want to.

Also i've never consulted this
>>
>psychotherapist
>I live in a "third-world" country
Well, I don't need to say much, since psychotherapists are considered shitty in first-world countries since we're way past the days of Freud. We're in the age of Ellis, Beck, and Skinner, OP.
>>
>>25112309

I've heard a lot of men and women who fantasised or masturbated to incestous thoughts and fantasies. It's normal that it happens (specially children and pre-puberal teens), acting on them is a whole different story, that's really not common at all.

But the ones who were sexually abused have a lot of guilt, anxiety, and symptoms around the sexual sphere of their lives.
>>
>>25112330

Man, seek professional help, now.
>>
>>25112437
>suicide is bad meme
>>
>>25112452

Is suicide a meme?
>>
>>25112452
>>25112437
Of course, the therapist will never consider the amount of suffering suicide might prevent -- for why? 'Oh change depends on you! 'You can change your perception of pain!' 'You can choose to accept your flaws!'
>>
File: 1446311786871.png (224 KB, 700x6148) Image search: [Google]
1446311786871.png
224 KB, 700x6148
>>25112133
>It seems I don't "get" the rules of this place at all.

I cannot explain it in details because it goes against one of those implicit "rules".
This place has a lot of unwritten/unofficial rules and taboo, one of them is that if someone doesn't get how it works, he should spend more time reading, until he finally gets it.

Asking for explanations is called "spoonfeeding" and looked down upon, so people will just tell you to "lurk moar" (=spend more time reading and refrain from posting).

What I can say is this: hostility is to be expected. Insults and mocking pictures are welcomed. Shocking thoughts are the norm and a proof of belonging.
Words like niggers and white devils aren't insulting but are merely informative of your skin color. "Hitler did nothing wrong" will be uttered everytime someone mentions something about Germany. Feminism is worse than Hitler (even if he did nothing wrong) because we feel lonely.

Hope you get the spirit. Have a nice stay.

> Here's the first part of a picture trying to sum up the current board's culture
>>
>>25112470
Look. Many people in this thread *might* commit suicide, if they want. The right to die following from the right to live, all that. But you are the only person in this thread who SHOULD die.
>>
>>25112437
Any idea what to do? I don't want to really kill myself, but it's as if i was forced by some power. I feel like in hell, my life is the worst pain i could have ever imagined. I need some help but i don't want to fail my parents, they have no clue since i don't live with them anymore
>>
>>25112479

There are philosophers who agree with these point of view. I myself think people get more out of living than from dying, but that's more of a personal position than a formal academic approach to the matter.
>>
>>25112485
I am OP's detractor ITT. I am not feigning anythig -- I am describing him for what he is.
>>
>>25112485

Thanks for the heads up! I'll "lurk more" as you say before posting around here again.
>>
>>25112534
>I myself think people get more out of living than from dying, but that's more of a personal position than a formal academic approach to the matter.

'Don't kill yourself bro! Anything but that!'
'Except, uh, that's just my opinion of course!'

Be mindful of the speed limit with that backpedalling.
>>
>>25112574

I just don't seem to get the logic of these kind of responses. Maybe I'll lurk more to learn if it's an idiomatic thing or a difference of opinion.

My job is to help people to live better lives, if they want to kill themselves is part of my job description to take them from wanting to do so to not wanting to... Is it that violent or offensive? It's true everyone has a right to do what they deem necessary with their lives, but I count myself on the side of the living, and the ones that want to live. Is it that bad to help people find meaning in their lives?
>>
File: 1446312158700.png (329 KB, 700x5376) Image search: [Google]
1446312158700.png
329 KB, 700x5376
>>25112545

I wasn't speaking specifically about you, more in a general matter. I apologize if I've given you that impression.

I recognize you despite your anonymity, we've had good conversations in the past in threads about "mindful meditation".

> Here's part two.
>>
>>25112659
Please answer this.
>>25112521
>>25112330
I would be glad
>>
>>25112702

It sounds really bad... Sorry, I didn't realise you were the same person.

Seek professional help, good professional help. Where I'm from most therapists don't even have formal studies, or any kind of training whatsoever. Getting good help is difficult. The only way to get someone trustworthy is checking for credentials, references, and in that spirit following people who've had good therapeutic experiences.

Don't go with the first you see or the cheapest, go with someone who has treated someone you know or someone he/she recomends personally.

Also, always demand the best from your professional help. If you're not satisfied, or have concerns, voice them and work them with the professional. A good professional will hear you out and insist on working with you, and solving all of the issues you bring to the table.

Also seek a good psychiatrist, one that spends more than 20 minutes asking you DSM or CIE questions, one who seems to care about you and the effects treatment has on you.
>>
>>25112872
There must be more to this than: seek professional help. R-right?
>>
File: image.png (13 KB, 672x224) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13 KB, 672x224
>>25112659
>My job is to help people to live better lives
>>25112659
>Is it that bad to help people find meaning in their lives?

Those questions are like saying that 'meditation is about awareness' or 'religion is about finding one's place in the universe'. Fucking equivocation, particularly easy in the psychobabble. The very point is it is far from as innocent as you have an interest to pretend. The point is to notice and educate on particular manipulations therapists commit. I as a principle don't quote my past posts -- only once backlinked to one a couple of weeks ago -- so let me now screencap one. Pic related; it describes how therapists use the implication of free will, so to connote indifference and acceptance in their victims while acquiescing uneasy consciences with '...you can always choose to disobey those suggestions of mine'. This is just one of hundreds of examples which to watch out in the brainwashing that is therapy. All must be explained -- ITT I've only explained a few.

>>25112691
>I recognize you despite your anonymity, we've had good conversations in the past in threads about "mindful meditation".

I recognize you despite your anonymity as well -- and despite the fact that I associate you with no particular person or discussion. You are a filthy Buddhist.
>>
>>25112407
Not defending myself here. I knew what I was doing is wrong on alot of different levels. But they never found out. Really. They slept through all of it. I would hide if they woke up and If they saw me Id have some excuse that they were half awake enough to believe. It worried me as i got older but I have watched them both grow and sexually speaking they seem just fine. I think it was out of frustration and there was almost a high I got from doing it. I'm just worried it may have altered my perceptions toward sex. That and pornography.
>>
>>25112927

There's a lot more to it, but it's as much as I dare say without ever having even met you. I don't even know who are your closest social network, who can you rely on in case of emergencies, etc...

I hope you get better though.
>>
op you will have receive more polite and sincere responses at the advice board

>>/adv/
>>
>>25112983
>acquiescing

Hm, that word doesn't seem to mean what I thought. But then, 'quiesce' does, even though I've never seen it or even thought of it before now.
>>
>>25111189
Fuck off. No one cares about some poor nigger spouting freudian bullshit.
>>
>>25113044
>No one cares about some poor nigger spouting freudian bullshit.

Incorrect: OP does.
>>
>>25112983

Now I get where you are pointing at. To the idea of influence, indoctrination, and psychotherapy as an excersise of power towards the patient...

And you're right, for the most part. Psychotherapy has a suggestion "edge", and most serious therapists try to stay away from that road.

It's a nice and interesting debate in philosophy and sociology. I'd suggest checking out The Icarus Project.

I got to leave for today, it's certainly been a unique experience to share this evening with you.

Have a nice weekend.
>>
>>25113091
Translation: 'I am aware that it is pitiful to expect people to baselessly trust that I don't exhibit the evils of my profession just as soon as I concede those evils' existence, but I'm going to do just that still.'

If you do live in some niggerhole, I hope you get shived.
>>
OP Enough about us

Why haven't you killed yourself yet?
>>
>>25113183
OP has belatedly fucked off.
>>
File: justliftbro.png (41 KB, 608x535) Image search: [Google]
justliftbro.png
41 KB, 608x535
>>25112983
>I recognize you despite your anonymity as well -- and despite the fact that I associate you with no particular person or discussion. You are a filthy Buddhist.

Have you ever met a "buddhist" apologist who recognizes a mistake and apologizes to you for it?
Which means I'm not one of them.

Here's one of my previous contributions as proof. I guess my way of writing just isn't as memorable as yours.
>>
>gets degree from poo in loo school with zero reputation
>gaiz I'm a psychotherapist but I shit on the ground
>>
>>25113203
>Have you ever met a "buddhist" apologist who recognizes a mistake and apologizes to you for it?

No.

I have met Buddhists who say 'I apologize if you've been offended by something I said.'

I have met Buddhists who say 'I apologize for talking above your comprehension level.'

I have met Buddhists who say 'I apologize for telling you things you're not ready for.'

But a Buddhist who said 'I am sorry.'?

No.

Never.
>>
>>25113203
Also.

>'Meditation is safe as stupas, it is completely harmless, it has absolutely zero potential for harm, [fine print]you just have not to be an excessively rare person with a convoluted brain disorder described by boring scientific tl;dr which you can totally skip[/fine print], BUT OTHER THAN THAT, IT'S SAFE WHEEE!!! (Oh, and it can make you *too aware* sometimes, so if you are a dolt who is afraid to be self-aware and prefers to stay dumb, it's not for you -- honest advice there.)'

I hope that http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=44f_1376229542 happens to you.
>>
>>25113323
>>25113203
In fact, I just realized one more bit of Buddhist reprehensible linguistic manipulation you've slid in there: 'it is not an utopian panacea', a strawman which in reality no one says, which you have invented so to then attack it, and in that meaningless attack of something that's not real pretend that you are totally competent on the subject, and therefore that your further extollations of 'meditation' are totally trustworthy. If you were honest and not Buddhist slime, you would in that piece simply, neutrally, factually described the neurological dangers that you should have set out to relate.

But you are Buddhist slime, and you literally cannot not manipulate. That video, I literally, literally hope it happens to you.
>>
Psychologist here.

I suppose I can try to answer any questions anyone has, if possible. I'm not versed in counseling or therapy and I will only give you the most honest and subjectively objective feedback I can muster.

Although this thread is a disaster and I am late but eh, is what it is.
>>
>>25113478
>subjectively objective

Contain your anti-intellectual vitriol at least until the first reply, will you.
>>
>>25113478
>Psychologist here.

Also, you misspelled 'tripfag here'.
>>
>this thread

woah, i thought anti-buddha was just a rumor on reddit
>>
>>25111189
Is existential depression taken very seriously and is it treatable?
>>
>need new meds for anxiety
>too anxious to go to the doc
>no meds
What do
>>
>>25113540
Just for the record, >site:reddit.com "anti buddhism|buddha|meditation" 4chan|r9k returns nothing, so it is probably not me, but a generic term.
>>
>>25111189
well listen I didnt read it I I puked halfway through but Im sure whatever you said was really nice and I wish you a merry christmas
>>
File: 1449510971840.jpg (253 KB, 800x1086) Image search: [Google]
1449510971840.jpg
253 KB, 800x1086
>>25113323
>Meditation is safe as stupas

Kek. This is for this kind of thing that I like you, even if you don't like me.

I quoted the above in the previous thread because they advocated meditation for people with mental illnesses, which is irresponsible (intrusive thoughts and suicidal ideation won't get better by "watching it" or "searching for their origin").

I don't know of any sources about meditation being dangerous for normies (they may exist), except that it seems to make the user more bad at dealing with stress. Which is really funny since stressed people will be advised to "try mindful meditation".

>>25113323
>I hope that http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=44f_1376229542 happens to you.

If it makes you feel better, I was in a car crash one week ago, but Jesus protected me. He apparently doesn't care that I don't believe in His existence so thank you Jesus.

> Here's a pic about how "buddhism" is super cool and new-age
>>
>>25111189
Can you give me meds so I don't have to go through the long and complicated route just to feel neutral?
>>
>>25113873

OP answer to you is here (sort of):
>>25112133
>Also, at least out here therapist can't prescribe and are not encouraged to even suggest pharmaceutical treatment without an appointment with a doctor.
>I work side by side with a really professional psychiatrist.

It seems sound. Psychotherapists can't prescribe meds in my country and it's probably the same in yours.
I wouldn't trust a psychotherapist about drugs, even the people on /r9k/ must know more on this subject than they do.
>>
>>25113809
I have meanwhile skimmed the rest of your article. It is... the ambivalence of repulsive and hilarious... how you opened the 'what to do' section with 'stop', again implying unbiasedness, only to undo it with 'persist' on the end. And either way, it is completely worthless because it misses the ultimate point which I've been explaining for ever, and which you must have consciously ignored if you claim to've talked to me, namely that 'meditation' FUCKING SHIFTS THE DEFINITION OF IMPROVES/WORSENS. In other words, your whole 'what to do when you feel that meditation has been bad for you' is worth NO THING because its exact danger is making people feel the tepid self-awareness it wreaks which consumes awareness of the environment, that which you Buddhists refer to as 'self-centeredness' or 'self-groundedness', is desirable and preferable. So that article was a strict exercise in futility.
>>
>>25113809
>>25114010
Of course, there is manipulative apologetics of 'meditation' in literally every paragraph, from the homeopathic fight fire with fire 'just meditate more and hope for the best', to the old old old old 'it is only harmful if you are doing it wrong', to the appeal to ignorance of correlation-causation, to, again, ubiquitously... I can't remember if there's a term for this... where you pretend that 'meditation' is bad when one is too cowardly to cope with the pseudoawareness, 'you're too much of a pussy to deal with the PTSD flashbacks/whatever? by all means quit then' (you have even insulted your readers to the fucking point of implying their merely feeling an unknown feeling might be a valid reason to quit)...

But to try to clarify every Buddhist sophistry *outside* /r9k/ is *clearly* irresponsible.
>>
>>25114263
>(you have even insulted your readers to the fucking point of implying their merely feeling an unknown feeling might be a valid reason to quit)

(Or their belief in the appeal to nature fallacy; you're consciously caricaturing real dangers of 'meditation' as the most hilarious shit, thus misrepresenting its detractors: 'you cricitize mediation? oh, you're like that person who pretends that if it's not natural, then it's bad...'. Buddhists are literally born manipulators.)
>>
>>25114406
Still, the most important objection to that shit article is >>25114010. Sage. Also, again, I haven't read it all -- there is more to it -- the above posts just demonstrate that my information that it is a steaming pile of toxin is not baseless.
>>
>>25114406
>who pretends that if it's not natural, then it's bad
*who feels
>>
>>25113809
>I don't know of any sources about meditation being dangerous for normies (they may exist)

Also. Yes, there is a handful of studies about dangers of 'meditation', trivially sophisticatable away by 'meditators' with 'no true meditation'. But, again, the real problem is that no one SETS OUT to relate 'meditation' with negative outcomes, and no one ever will.
>>
>>25114726
In other words, no one will ever set out to point out that that while what people do is

>ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate ruminate

and what people should do is

>I am aware of having to drive more carefully here, and remember to fill that request, and remember to plan the meeting

what 'meditation' actually leads to is

>I am aware of my almost having ruminated I am aware of my almost having ruminated I am aware of my almost having ruminated
>>
Which is your native language??
>>
>>25111189
Where can I find a cute virgin girl?
>>
>>25114821
In other words, the central fallacy of 'meditation' is that from having become aware of a thought or a feeling of one follows due refocus on whatever 'should' be thought about. It doesn't have to. It doesn't. Mind wandering is an absolutely vital thing, vital even in the literal sense of facilitating survival, and the mind cannot be 'made wander' by definition. There is literally, inherently no way in which 'meditation' can be used to make (much less remake) one's mind wander.
>>
>>25114945
Again, beware of the ever rampant 'no true meditation' whereby 'meditators' say 'if it doesn't work for you, then quit'. 'If this thing that inherently results in you not wanting to quit it doesn't work for you, then quit it.'
>>
File: ryokan.jpg (89 KB, 847x943) Image search: [Google]
ryokan.jpg
89 KB, 847x943
>>25114010
>'meditation' FUCKING SHIFTS THE DEFINITION OF IMPROVES/WORSENS

While I agree that the meditation apologists move the goalpost ("going to the gym is meditation"), I just wanted to warn my fellow Robots of the particular dangers of this practice, like I've said already. I don't think it's worthless to warn people of that, just read the comments for the article (I'm quoting 3 people):

> I found it was frustrating and anxiety-producing for me.
> It makes both my anxiety and depression much, much worse.
> I went for a ten-day meditation retreat it seemed to exacerbate all the anxious symptoms. I had a full-blown panic attack for the first time in my life.

Not exactly making meditation looking sexy.
Now, you think that even if they didn't encounter any of those problems, the endgoal itself ("self-awareness") is actually a bad thing.
Well, that may be true and I can see why focusing on oneself would be detrimental to the focus on our external environment, that's just not what I wanted to emphasize: my point is specifically that it's advised as some "miracle" to people for who it could be dangerous.

I would be curious to know what OP think of meditation, if OP ever comes back.
>>
>>25114945
Or when they, so naively, say 'you can refocus your mind from meditative self-absorption if you have the fortuitous thought to do just that'. 'You can always quit an addiction if you have the fortuitous persistence to do just that.'
>>
I can't change in therapy.. I seem to take years of reflection for significant change in my thought process, how do I adopt it faster? Drill it in your head?I have to get burned a lot before I learn not the burner, but those lessons are hard learned so I never do it again once I get it into my skull. Guess I am a glutton for punishment. There reached a point where I kind of ceased to care, things got out of control and I was unable to advocate for myself and it snowballed way out of proportion
>>
>>25115061
>I would be curious to know what OP think of meditation, if OP ever comes back.

What?

Why?

There might be literally a dozen people on the planet, myself included in that unhappy number, who are critical of 'meditation' beyond the apologetic, tautological level of yours of 'it is only bad if done by people for whom it is bad'.
>>
>>25115061
>Not exactly making meditation looking sexy.

Unlike the 'duh, they were just doing it wrong' of yours, apparently -- for it is sure to convince those lost souls to reconsider.
>>
>>25115061
>the meditation apologists move the goalpost ("going to the gym is meditation")

Also (sorry for particularly fragmented replies). This is completely diffrent. One thing is (1) 'no true meditation' of 'you just need to do it right', and another is (2) the miseqivocation of 'you're doing it already, so it is inconsistent for you not to do the Buddhist flavour' -- this is oversimplification, removal of crucial distinctions.

Buddhists are the sloppiest 'thinkers' I've ever met.
>>
Well, you're not my first therapist and you won't be the last, hi my name is anon. When I was in6th grade me and a friend of mine sent a death threat to a teacher, rather than stick it out with him I ditched him and played victim and lacked the courage to even face him. I have friends, but I fake all my reactions with them, I honestly don't care about them. I've seen therapists and told all of them what they wanted to hear. I started smoking bud in 8th grade and just haven't stopped. I fake everything now, all interactions, it's become a profession.
>>
>>25115306
Though no, in fact, it is both the same in the sense it obscures a consequence. Sorry. But sage.
>>
>>25115306
>>25115061
Oh, and by the way. The eventual endgame of all this, long after my death even if I didn't kill myself, will be 'practical redefinition' of 'meditation' whereby in practice, it will be finally reduced to the harmful tendency to just be calm, and so on -- people will call 'meditation' things the western culture has been already doing for millennia: remembering to collect oneself before a test, not overreacting, and so on. As opposed to the distinctly different, immoderate, irresponsible eastern practice which we have so far been pushed, which is at present being done. So eventually, the society will recover -- but the term 'meditation' will linger, and Buddhist 'teachers' who had for the couple of hundred of years hampered the society before it caught on and realized that their shit is harmful... will keep being known as the inventors of it, immortalized. As opposed to the nameless people who will have contributed to its eventual, belated moderation. Buddhists will be forever known as bringers of a good that it took conscious opposition to craft into a good from being the evil it originally was.
>>
>>25115720
>it will be finally reduced to the harmful tendency to just be calm
*to the HARMLESS tendency
>>
Why the fuck are people so passionate about debating whether meditation is good or bad?
>>
>>25117142
Why the fuck did you have to bump this thread from what must've been page 9 at least, possibly leading to suspicions I might samefag?
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.