[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
we imagine ourselves as happy in the future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
Why are people so obsessed with trying to make more and more and more and more and more amounts of money?

What's the point? Do they really think a raise is going to make them that much happier? Even though the last one didn't do much of anything, and the one before that as well.

What I think is that people have various experiences of suffering. I am construing "suffering" in a broad sense, to include any sort of unwanted experience such as 'the feeling of lacking x', 'boredome', 'I don't have a bigger house', 'a sense of goallessness, meaninglessness, purposelessness', etc. Along with the regular suffering of life (thirst hunger pains fear loneliness boredom misery aches anxiety etc). So what happens is that when (a large percentage) of people have these experiences, they look desperately for a CAUSE. "What is CAUSING this suffering?" Because once you understand the mechanism behind something - you can work on altering it, fixing it, avoiding it.

The brain is an ad-hoc machine. And it's better (evolutionarily speaking) to postulate a cause, any cause, than to simply do nothing. Take for example homo erectus, he hears a loud noise. Natural selection will favour the erectus which attributes the sound to a LION ROARRR and runs and hides. The erectus which thinks "it's nothing don't care lalala" will eventually be eaten by a lion. It might not be a lion roar this time, but one of these it will and his idle nonchalantary will cost the little nigger his life.

This relates to modern humans postulating the cause of their misery as not having enough money. It's an evolutionary mechanism that's being RE-APPROPRIATED into an INAPPROPRIATE use. Our ad-hoc machine looks for anything - a function of our evolutionary history. Not having another 10k a year on top of your 80 isn't the cause of your suffering. But your brain thinks it is better to attribute any cause and believe it, than to do nothing at all (and get eaten by a lion).
>>
>>25107217
>Being able to imagine yourself happy
Someone isn't at rock bottom.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.