[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who here /commute/ to university or college? mine is anywhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: commute.jpg (1021 KB, 2938x2203) Image search: [Google]
commute.jpg
1021 KB, 2938x2203
who here /commute/ to university or college?

mine is anywhere from 40-70 minutes by bus, i spend most of the time shit posting and browsing on 4chan

it is truly a great time
>>
>have to switch subway trains three fucking times to get to university
>living in a 50% nonwhite city
>tfw rush hour

I browsed /pol/ and /new/ for FOUR YEARS and maintained that I wasn't racist. Two months of this will turn anybody.
>>
commuters are worthless lower class scum and women who are too shitty and afraid to drive
>>
>>25067506
Is that utm?

I go from sauga to york, waste of time I might transfer to utm breh
>>
>>25067716
i lmao @ your life, bus passes are included in uni fees. enjoy wasting your money on gas, insurance, trying to find a parking spot and all that other shit
>>
Why don't you just move out?

Is it really worth it commuting for so fucking long and making 0 friends or gf?

If you moved closer to your school maybe you'd actually get some pussy or be forced to interact with people.
>>
>>25067506
I drive to uni, takes about 20 minutes.
>>
File: 1446399456402.jpg (121 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1446399456402.jpg
121 KB, 704x480
I commute to and from work every day. About 30 minutes, 30 miles or so. ~25 miles of uncrowded highway so it's pretty fun weaving through past occasinal traffic at ~110mph in my shitbox Civic. One of my last good feels, probably the only reason I haven't quit/killed myself yet.
>>
>>25067777
checked.

i will be forever a virgin, i have a couple good friends so it's ok. not going to waste my money on moving out or living on res, currently set to finish uni without any loans
>>
>>25067770
>enjoy wasting money and effort on condoms, making your dick hard and having to move your hips, why don't you just let the bull do everything for you?

This is how you sound.
And I don't know what sort of fucking uni pays for your buspass.
>>
>>25067777
because do you know how fucking expensive that is?

>>25067770
I live far enough out of the city that buses and trains don't come out here. It's drive or nothing
>>
I used to take a 7 minute bus ride, but now it takes me about an hour to drive to school. It's worth it though, because I now have my own house for free on my parent's farm.
>>
>>25067506

>go to land based and agricultural college
>in the countryside so have to get a train into city and bus to the college
>takes an hour and a half
>listen to audiobooks and shitpost
>bus mostly full of qts so can sit next to them

enjoy it tbqh
>>
>>25067822
>i will be forever a virgin, i have a couple good friends so it's ok. not going to waste my money on moving out or living on res, currently set to finish uni without any loans

You'll be a virgin if you give up on yourself.

Why don't you actually try?

Shave, shower, get a good haircut, wear clothes that fit you, gain/lose weight depending on what your problem is and talk to people. It's really not that hard. When you live on residence you pretty much are going to involuntarily get laid. I don't think a single person who lived on res 1st year did not get laid, at any school except some hardcore nerd school maybe.

>>25067845
>because do you know how fucking expensive that is?

I guess but most of it is made up by your opportunity cost.

Assuming it takes you 2 hours to get to school per day and you earn $15/hr, that's $30 you're losing just on commuting every time you need to go to University.

10 times a month? That's $300 you're losing out in opportunity cost sitting on a bus not doing anything but reading gay /r9k/ threads.
>>
>>25067845
obviously i understand that but this anon is retarded >>25067716
>>
>>25067847

>7 min bus ride
>hour car journey

how?
>>
>>25067923
$300 a month is like maybe a fourth of what living on or near campus would cost. Maybe less.
>>
>>25067956
He used to live close by and take the bus, but now he lives far away and drives, since he can live in his parents house alone for free that way. I'd commute an hour for that too
>>
>>25067506
3 hours one way by car 3 and a half by bus.

I am considering moving to the campus but that will require me getting a job,

But losing 7 hours EVERY day is horrible.
>>
>>25067956
I used to have an apartment near the college, now I live out in the countryside.
>>
File: 1437164743785.png (229 KB, 1200x807) Image search: [Google]
1437164743785.png
229 KB, 1200x807
>>25067923
>When you live on residence you pretty much are going to involuntarily get laid. I don't think a single person who lived on res 1st year did not get laid, at any school except some hardcore nerd school maybe.
Y-yeah, man, I definitely had a lot of sex my first year I spent on campus... I-I definitely had sex, guys.
>>
>>25068016

i should have read the entire comment tbqh
>>
I rode the bus for 4 months. It was pretty good

>special bus that ran from a park and ride to the university and hospital
>nothing but students and professionals
>35 minutes if the driver had a lead foot
>they discontinued the line after I got out of school

Drove into school for 4 months. Not bad

>do 65-70 2/3rds of the way
>modern(1988) highway into the city meant few traffic backups
>20 miles in 30 minutes

Current commute is GOAT
>leave at 5:30 am. No traffic
>9 miles, 2 traffic lights
>2 miles of it is the closest thing to the togue outside of Japan
>they plan on straightening it and making it 4 lanes come 2017
>>
>>25067986
I know but the point was it's a decent portion of it.

Paying a bit more so you can experience adult life instead of sitting in a boring bus for 2 hours a day to head back home is worth it man.

University can be the best 4 years of your life, easily.

>>25068038
>Y-yeah, man, I definitely had a lot of sex my first year I spent on campus... I-I definitely had sex, guys.

Did you go to parties? No offense senpai but you probably didn't try to get to know anyone.
>>
File: Golden-Gophers.jpg (344 KB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
Golden-Gophers.jpg
344 KB, 1365x1024
I bike the 5.5 miles when it's above 30F. Otherwise bus.
>tfw live in Mexican community with no students
>know that ex robot friend from high school started going to parties
>he's moving up on the social ladder
>making friends
>went on his first date last week
>still not a single friend at uni
>impossible to meet people if living off campus

Never live off campus, anons
>>
>>25068074
look what fucking you're posting on anon, none of us will get laid. we aren't like you, sorry
>>
>>25068126
But why? You don't have to be some sort of special person in order to get laid a few times in University.

Just get out there and make it happen. You don't need to wallow in your own self pity for the rest of your life. I know it sucks and it's hard to do when you've been inside for a long time but when you realize you have nothing to lose you will see that it's a lot easier than you've made it out to be.
>>
I commute 10 minutes by bus if that counts. I started uni at 22, don't think I would like res much anyways.
>apartment with one roomate
>200$ a month cheaper than res
>not crammed in a room the size of a prison cell with a roomate who sleeps 3 feet away
>no drunk frat kids being noisy
>smoke dank buds without having to hide from RAs
>don't look like a kid when I tell people where I live
>save an extra 90/ month on parking

Only downside is it would be nice to party sometimes, but I mostly got that out of my system at 18/19 anyways, I'm in uni to learn.
>>
I was about to commute the 25 minutes to school this year and save money but instead I got hired as an RA so I get a free apartment on campus
>>
>>25067923
>opportunity cost
You've got it backwards. If the other option is to live on campus and pay for it, does $30 a day cover everything? No way. At my campus, housing is ~13k a year, divide by 365 and you get $35 a day. Plus, good luck finding a $15/hr job. You save on a shitload of debt by commuting.
>>
>>25068193
>RA

sounds cash as FUCK

how did you get that job? what kind of perks do you get
>>
>>25068184
>Just get out there and make it happen.
>just make it happen
Jesus Christ, man, you might as well be an alchemist suggesting all you have to do to turn lead to gold is to "make it happen". It doesn't mean a single thing because I know nothing of the process and I don't have your magicks anyway.
>>
>>25067506
Me. Although I have to drive about 15 - 20 minutes to my bus stop then it's about a 30 min bus ride. I just listen to music and close my eyes.
>>
>>25067805
where exactly can you drive 110mph every day and not get caught?
>>
>>25068249
Florida. Flat as fuck so you see police a mile away.
>>
>>25068263
>florida
ayy lmeo
>>
It takes me 70-80 minutes to get to college.
>5 minute walk to tram station
>15 minute ride to bus station
>45-55 minute bus ride
>5 minute walk to college
It's killing me.
>>
>>25068199
In my case I only spend about $7-8k/yr on living costs.

>You save on a shitload of debt by commuting.

For sure but you also miss out on tons of stuff like school spirit(nonexistent at commuter schools), networking, friendships, getting laid, having fun. Imo spending $32k over 3 years additional for all the additional benefits is worth it.

>>25068241
Well what other suggestions do you want me to say?

Every situation and girl is different, there's no script I can just give you in order to get laid immediately.
But I can tell you that by not trying you've already failed and will NEVER succeed. At least if you try you have a chance and you can learn from your experiences if unsuccessful.

To sum it up, you're not getting any younger and this shit is not getting any easier. If you put it off it'll only be more and more difficult until eventually you're 35 year old virgin with no social skills and no life experiences who regularly wants to kill himself.
>>
>>25067832
Most unis in a big city? Ohio State Uni students can ride all the buses for free.
>>
>>25068300
i live close by, around 10km, to uni. so yeah it's kind of retarded to live there
>>
>>25068300
>If you put it off it'll only be more and more difficult until eventually you're 35 year old virgin with no social skills and no life experiences who regularly wants to kill himself.

And then I will kill myself and finally be at peace.
>>
>>25068263

Are you driving through the Everglades? Where in Florida are there not trees everywhere?
>>
File: utd atec+emac building.jpg (167 KB, 1280x542) Image search: [Google]
utd atec+emac building.jpg
167 KB, 1280x542
I drive about 5 minutes to my school from my apartment that is basically on a golf course, and have a parking spot waiting for me since I have a semi-fraudulent handicap sign for my car.

:3

This is the brand new building that was opened two years ago for my specific major and I take all of my classes in it.
>>
>>25068230
I just applied and got called back for an interview. Then I had to attend a 7 week long leadership class that they grade you in and depending on your performance then you get hired.

My stipend is shit (about $20 a week) but I get a free apartment and free food at the dining hall so it all works out in the end. But it's acutually a busy job between being on-call and programs and meetings and roommate mediations and what not. But i get to write up normies for drinking underage and that's the best part of the job
>>
>Live less than 1 mile from work
>Still drive because IDGAF
>6 minutes from walking out of my apartment to walking in the door at work if traffic is bad
>>
>>25067506
>live near campus
>a 15 min walk away
rofl
>>
>>25068394
thanks for replying

what kind of experience did you have before landing that job?
>>
>>25068300
You do you, man. The only thing I have a reason to do is networking, but I don't have to worry about finding a job right after graduation since I won't have debts to pay off, so it's not that important.
>>
>>25068456
none. I just hung out it in my dorm, got hammered, played smash and was friends with my RA so he put in a good word for me.

I'm surprised I got hired because the selection process is brutal. They had like 600 students applying for less than 50 open positions.
>>
>>25068300

>school spirit

CHAD HAS BREACHED THE PERIMETER
>>
>>25068584
how do manage with work and classes?
>>
Ride in the morning with aunt, out of night class 10 early to catch bus 40 minutes from destination, then 5 minute wait for second bus and five minutes to pick up spot. Failing pickup(s), 40 minutes to school on an early morning bus, repeat trip back except a few extra minutes on second bus and a 10 minute walk home
>>
>>25068696
Don't have much free time during the week. I usually have to be on-call two days a week and a few weekends a quarter. I can study when I'm on-call but I just have to hope I don't get a call. And usually one night a week I either have to host a program or help someone else with one. And then we also have weekly staff meetings so it works out to about 20 hours a week. I know that's only part time but It's weird not having pre-determined shifts.
>>
>>25068738
feel you, worked as a security guard, it's shitty when the hours are all over the place

so you basically get:
>free rent
>free food
>$20/week

sounds too good to be true fuck
>>
>>25068787
yeah it's great. Just wish I had time for a second job so I could have more money. $20 doesn't go very far for general expenses desu
>>
>>25068843
will try to land a job as RA when if i ever get into grad school

good luck with your shit anon
>>
>>25068905
yeah a few of my coworkers are grad students.They're usually pretty busy but they manage
>>
File: 1450368387447.png (419 KB, 528x462) Image search: [Google]
1450368387447.png
419 KB, 528x462
Walk 10 min to college
>>
>>25067506
When I was still in college I took a bus for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and walked for 30 minutes.

I listened to ALOT of albums those days
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.