[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who else here wishes they were an actual robot? >no shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: spacepepe.png (66 KB, 365x271) Image search: [Google]
spacepepe.png
66 KB, 365x271
who else here wishes they were an actual robot?

>no shitty emotions to deal with
>no need for gf
>your mind wont hold you back

how can I become truly emotionless. I am pretty unemotional but the bad feels hit me frequently.
>>
Become an honorary vulcan
>>
But I am a robot. Everyone is.

There is literally no way for humans not to be logical and rational. Every decision is intrinsically egoistic and utilitarian. The universe is clockwork. We are all dead.
>>
>>25064518
>how can I become truly emotionless
oh so you want to spend all your time asleep, never eat anything, have thoughts of suicide, and never be able to be happy, having only the emotions of guilt and shame?

be my guest newfag
>>
>>25064518
Being emotionless would reduce you to an unmoving carcass.

You just don't want to be in pain anymore.

You could try drugs, but IMO self-introspection is the way to go.
>>
>>25064518

Guys, for some reason I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or awake. Am I dreaming?
>>
>>25064518
You're a fucking synth too aren't you.
>>
File: iss docking shuttle orbit space.jpg (2 MB, 6048x4032) Image search: [Google]
iss docking shuttle orbit space.jpg
2 MB, 6048x4032
>>25064564
I always thought that humans are so emotional we lose sight of greater things. people go crazy over fucking football games and don't give a shit about going into space.

>>25064625
not a newfag. not an oldfag either but definitely not a newfag.

I said totally emotionless, not being emotionless except guilt and shame.

>>25064635
why would it? if I were truly a robot I would devote my time to amassing knowledge and applying it for the benefit of the world without being depressed every day.

>>25064714
I wish tbqh
>>
>>25064762
>I always thought that humans are so emotional we

Emotions do not make illogical or irrational. Emotions are evaluation. When a robot avoids a bullet, fire, or a ditch, it is emotion too -- hatred, avoidance. When it seeks energy, it is emotion too -- love, desire. Emotion is whatever propels or prevents an act. Literally every machine is emotional.
>>
>>25064762
>if I were truly a robot I would devote my time to amassing knowledge and applying it for the benefit of the world without being depressed every day.
The concept of depression would become meaningless to you. There would be no happiness or sadness, no sense of like or dislike.

You say you would devote your time toward task X, but why? What would spur you to move without emotions?
>>
File: 100APPLE_IMG_0204.jpg (171 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
100APPLE_IMG_0204.jpg
171 KB, 960x720
>>25064821
not in the literal sense. robots do not truly feel hatred. they also don't fall in love and fuck themselves over to attain a goal they know is unattainable.

>>25064914
thats a good question honestly. robots have no purpose unless a human gives them one. if you think about it though humans have no purpose either. no matter what we do its all the same to the universe.
>>
File: earth-saturn-cassini-7-19-2013.jpg (200 KB, 946x532) Image search: [Google]
earth-saturn-cassini-7-19-2013.jpg
200 KB, 946x532
>>25064518
bumping with space pictures
>>
>>25064998
>robots do not truly feel hatred.

Says who? What is the difference?

>they also don't fall in love and fuck themselves over to attain a goal they know is unattainable.

False. If a robot's evolutionarily misprogrammed priorities make it dig to dig for fuel where there is none, it will dig and dig until it dies. This is having fallen in love.

And, knowledge of attainability is determined by actions. As soon as, insofar as, you pursue something, you trust that it is attainable. Declarations are secondary to actions. There is literally, intrinsically no such thing as 'pursuing a goal that is unattainable'. It can not happen. You might cite cases such as someone declaring to wage war to a whole empire, and die trying, knowing that they will fail. But in reality, their goal is not overthrowing the empire -- but to provoke an impression, for instance, to assert their will before spectators. This is their real desire, and the period they are trying to do that and the period they trust they can do it is the same. It is a case of incompatibility of declarations and actions. Humans are machines. They cannot be irrational.
>>
>>25065199
>no such thing as 'pursuing a goal that is unattainable'
*a goal that one knows is unattainable
>>
>>25065258
thanks anon

maybe I should work on my grammar as well

space feels I guess
>>
>>25065383
Cheers. This discussion helped me clarify some things as well.
>>
>>25065407
I cant tell if you're trying to be an asshole or not.

I'm so autistic I probably couldn't tell in real life anyway though.
>>
>>25064518
I was like that it was called 'avoidance' and thinking 'nothing was wrong with me' and also 'it will get better next year'.
>>
>>25065461
>I cant tell if you're trying to be an asshole or not.

What? No, I literally meant I think I understood something a bit better, but it is such an undeveloped inkling that I cannot even phrase it (in case you are needlessly curious, it is the feeling that I should focus on the problem of incongruity between literal and real denotation of a claim, and of co-occurrence of an infinity of desires within an entity, but, as I said, it is just an impression which very well might be garbage).
>>
>>25065569
In short, that people's various assertions that they are behaving irrationally and in spites ('I will show you that I can act randomly') always reflect some transient rational desire, which is itself a part of another, broader, ovearching rational desire -- for instance, the desire to spite some person might be a part of the broader desire to assert one's independence. Teleology seems imporant.
>>
File: sad headstone forgotten.jpg (221 KB, 960x643) Image search: [Google]
sad headstone forgotten.jpg
221 KB, 960x643
>>25065494
well Anon, did it get better the next year? it's almost 2016.

>>25065569
>>25065697
o-oh
>various assertions that they are behaving irrationally and in spites ('I will show you that I can act randomly') always reflect some transient rational desire

shit anon that actually makes sense. it makes even more sense when you realize that people aere just insignificant organisms on a speck of dust in the universe. and people want to feel like they have some semblance of control in their lives when ultimately we have little to no control.
>>
>>25065751
>shit anon that actually makes sense.

I guess you have either rejected free will or will soon then.

>people want to feel like they have some semblance of control in their lives

Yes. The key word is 'want'. From a fact can arise denial of that fact: for instance, evolutionary determinism has developed our intellects to the point that we can convince each other that evolutionary determinism does not exist and we are in full control of our choices. But in reality, of course, just as there are are no computer random number generators, one cannot think of a random number either.
>>
>>25065873
In other words, the psychiatric symptom of ambitendency, rapid change of goals, now wanting something and then the opposite, is, so to say, 'unloading one's dice'. While sane people are loaded dice, in the sense things they care about are consistent in the population, insane people's dice are more random.
>>
>>25065873
>I guess you have either rejected free will or will soon then.

I think we do actually have free will to an extent at least. if I wanted to I could jump off my balcony right now. but I wont so you have a point.

>Yes. The key word is 'want'. From a fact can arise denial of that fact: for instance, evolutionary determinism has developed our intellects to the point that we can convince each other that evolutionary determinism does not exist and we are in full control of our choices. But in reality, of course, just as there are are no computer random number generators, one cannot think of a random number either.

you are correct classically. but personally I think that with all this new research into quantum physics that the universe may truly be random on its smallest scale, and that could affect the way our brains work.

>>25066093
that's a good analogy anon.
>>
>>25066101
>if I wanted to I could jump off my balcony right now

This is a tautology, whereby x happens when x happens (x happens when x makes the decision to happen). Positing free will from that, 'I could do anything if I just wanted to', is no better than saying that illness is good as soon as it involves no suffering -- it is a self-contained claim that is true, but irrelevant. It is rejection of free will that enables relevance, making claims that can be externally verified (x happens when c1, c2, c3, ... happen).

As for quantum physics, no idea.
>>
>>25066275
yeah I had thought of that and soon realized its not really free will at all.

as for quantum physics most physicists have no ideas either.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.