[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does being an Atheist make you more intelligent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: a.png (316 KB, 843x431) Image search: [Google]
a.png
316 KB, 843x431
Does being an Atheist make you more intelligent?
>>
no but it sure makes me want to shove bananas up my bum
>>
no, but it makes you more euphoric and 500% more likely to shove bananas up your ass

atheist pseudo-intellectuals think they are so intelligent, but any real theological philosopher knows atheism is just babby's first rebellion against our christian society
>>
Yes, you need to be a mental toddler to believe in a magical sky wizard, no matter what the contrarian /pol/tards say
>>
>>25062555
It is nearly impossible to *make* a person irreligious. 'God' is not a belief that can be reacted to; it is an artifact of the brain flaw of loose definitions. If you get a person to concede that 'God' is not an adequate content to describe anything, they will begin to talk about 'consciousness' or 'reality' in the same vague manner.
>>
>>25062686
In other words, religiosity will *always* find an outlet. If a person stops saying 'God that encompasses everything defies description', they will begin to say 'consciousness that encompasses everything defies description', or 'non-duality that encompasses everything defies description'. 'God' is just an expression; the thing itself is the disorder.
>>
Nah, mostly just means that you've got a lot of pent up anger from parents making you wake up early to go to church on Sundays instead of letting you stay home playing vidya.
>>
>>25062685
Christianity is more than just believing in God.
>>
>>25062555
You tell me anon. I doubt it though.
http://www.examiner.com/article/of-10-highest-iq-s-on-earth-at-least-8-are-theists-at-least-6-are-christians
>>
>>25062802
>IQ test results are not in any sense the measure of a person's worth

Article confirmed for saying objective falsehoods. Dismissed.
>>
>>25062555
I don't know. But believing in god is just an edgy belief to run away from reality.
I hate how this US is full of these people claiming being atheist is edgy. The country is filled by people whose ancestors are autists edgy religious who fled their from native country because of their belief. And now they atheist are edgy whereas they're the edgy fuck.
>>
>>25062802
Also, there is a ton of physicists with IQs in the 170s who never mention it (NOT because it is 'meaningless'; >inb4 Hawking, but because it is irrelevant to their careers) who are atheists. Self-selection bias.
>>
is there any correlation between intelligence and personally held philosophical beliefs?

absolutely not you dummies
>>
Does being an American make you a Mormon?
>>
>>25062947
>irrelevant to their careers

More like career suicide because of religiously influenced judicial and social structures.
>>
>>25062779
That may be true for some people but most people who are atheist rarely ever talk about it or think about it. They just just don't believe in god. Nothing more to it.
>>
File: kekpls.gif (2 MB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
kekpls.gif
2 MB, 190x190
>>25062651
>using a philosopher as an example of a useful and reliable intellectual
>>
>>25062932
Atheists are usually egotistical and overly mean towards certain people which is why they're considered edgy.

Believing in morals is not edgy, it's really not hard to grasp.

Individualism doesn't lead to happiness, it makes you wanna shove bananas up your anus.
>>
>>25062555
Absolutely not.

All you have to do is sit in a classroom full of liberal atheists while a video plays of theists being respectful.
>>
>>25063369
Maybe it makes YOU wanna shove bananas up your ass but I didn't change when I stopped believing in God. The difference is that I won't lie that the bananas went up my ass after the fact and you either will, or you'll do it when you're in your midlife crisis and still probably lie.
>>
File: TAABanana.jpg (157 KB, 1024x646) Image search: [Google]
TAABanana.jpg
157 KB, 1024x646
>>25062555
I'm going to say no.
>>
File: banana.jpg (136 KB, 1024x646) Image search: [Google]
banana.jpg
136 KB, 1024x646
>>25062555
No, but it does make me want to shove potassium up my assium

and also pour scalding hot oil all over my micropeen and balls

http://www.xvideos.com/video4214962/amazing_atheist
>>
File: thanks lori.jpg (69 KB, 680x627) Image search: [Google]
thanks lori.jpg
69 KB, 680x627
>>25063614
>>25063649
>Two people posting the banana video
>>
>>25062555
Being an atheist makes you the vegans of the spiritual and religious world.

Agnostics are the only reasonable people "maybe a god or gods exist, maybe they do or don't, who cares I have a train to catch rather than vlog about this all day".

Meanwhile Atheists are just like GOD DOES NOT EXIST 100% FOR SURE I HAVE PROOF OF THIS SOMEWHERE

Like really? Did you look everywhere? Maybe God is in another dimension or the downstairs cupboard.

and if he doesn't exist, why give a shit and build an identity around that?
>>
Atheism is actually a mental illness
>>
The majority of these new atheists and pro-science kids don't actually have any significant knowledge on the fundamentals of their respective fields.

Ask them to talk about linguistics, mathematical axioms or anything that requires critical thinking outside of pure conjecture or opinion and they will crumble.

I'm an atheist Comp Sci
>>
File: 1446759493308.jpg (25 KB, 348x278) Image search: [Google]
1446759493308.jpg
25 KB, 348x278
>>25063614
>>25063649
Fucking TJ man, what are you like you absolute madman?
>>
>>25063698
What is god though?
>>
>>25062555
No, but there is a correlation between atheism and higher intelligence.
>>
>>25063862
love
You have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was not original.
>>
File: 1331448990125.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1331448990125.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>25063649
>potassium up my assium
>>
>>25063885
You mean oxytocin or?
>>
>>25063862
Exactly. There's no real definition. Which is why Atheists are always arguing against the Judeo-Christian or Muslim god which are the easiest targets.

Something like a Buddhist or Pantheist "god", not so much.
>>
In my case when I was atheist I was far more narcissistic and therefore took offence to anything against Atheism
>>
>>25062555
Correlation does not imply causation.

If atheism truly made people smarter, you would know this.
>>
>>25062555
look at how thin he is!
>>
>>25063906
You know what I mean wise man,
btw I need some oxytocin
>>
>>25063747
jung for life
>>
>>25063925
You mean an indefinable concept that may as well say nothing? Just a random abstraction of "something we haven't yet discovered probably exists and let's call it god for now as a placeholder".
>>
>>25063698
Agnostic is a descriptor, agnostic atheists exist just like agnostic theists
>>
File: BushLaughing-Right.jpg (18 KB, 232x273) Image search: [Google]
BushLaughing-Right.jpg
18 KB, 232x273
>>25063649
>>25063614

>this is what a anti-feminist MRA looks like

they're just like the people they hate, long/short hair and disgusting bodies and problem glasses and all
>>
>>25062555
>more intelligent
Who gives a fucking shit you underage kike?
The best case scenario I've heard from self proclaimed "intellegent" people is that they feel more pessimistic and sad. Is your point about whether atheism is linked to depression? No you dipshit, but it certainly doesn't have many of the social benefits that organized religion has, and maybe your dumbass could have used those benefits to be less depressed.
Atheists are remarkably shitty at having families or stable communities though, so I wouldn't say they are more capable of learning either, just that they have more time to waste.
>>
>>25064052

pls stop that, you're exactly like those

>I'm not bisexual I'm pansexual!

homos..

theist = believe in a god
atheist = don't believe in a god
agnostics = eh who cares about god or not

>>25064033
The loosest definition can MAYBE be "cognizant being(s) reponsible for the creation of the universe" but even that goes against some definition of what a god is and whether he actively participates in this creation or not is another question.
>>
>>25062555
No, it makes you more degenerate.

>inb4 argument about catholic priests because jewish propaganda
>>
>>25064188
Agnosticism doesn't mean I don't care, it means without knowledge.

Apathy means you don't care.

You can go back to being retarded, now.
>>
>>25062555
Man I can't believe I used to watch that clowns videos. I was going through a degenerate time good thing I grew up.
>>
>>25062555
No, but it does make you unbearable in social situations.
>>
>>25062555
>has nothing in life
>not even a collective imaginary force to drive him
>"uhhhhh well I have this thing called intelligens!"
>still doesn't do anything with his life
>escapes through drugs and entertainment

I'm going to guess if you get any satisfaction out of talking about how you don't do something, be it believe in a god or gay sex or anything you think is beneath you, you have a pretty empty ass life. Just my observation, lived that shit for almost a decade with other "atheists"
>>
>>25062555
Your beliefs in religion or not does not say anything about your intelligence. However, I do believe if you have orthodoxy religious beliefs, you'll be refrained from educutation as it goes against it on many levels. I see religion as a tool to control. If you aren't following the rules as it tells you to and only follow the parts that you feel is right, as in the non-hostile parts, then it's okay to believe in religion, but otherwise, no. Not believing in a god is okay too, as long as you're not being an edgelord about it, likewise with theists. General respect goes above all your beliefs.
>>
>>25064188
You are talking about apatheism you degenerate loon. Agnostics don't have that mentality at all.

And they are all still atheists, whether you find offense to that or not, piece of shit. "I'm not fat I'm just curvy!"
>>
>>25064212
>Agnosticism means without knowledge.

it stems from Greek, meaning unknowable.

By default, if you can't know about something, you don't care about it. That's why there are are no agnostic billboard campaigns or agnostic churches or poster boys for agnosticism like there is for atheism who probably care more about religion than religious people do.
>>
>>25064316
>apatheism

>I'm not a tranny I'm genderqueer!

>I'm not bisexual I'm polysexual

stop it with your new-age memes, agnostics don't care about religion or anti-religion.
>>
>all this agnostic atheist semantic claptrap

Vast majority of atheists don't claim that they know for 100% that there isn't a god and can prove it, they just say that they don't think there is one.
>>
>>25064439
>atheists
>operating on beliefs

that's not very Logic and Reason of you bro
>>
>>25064490
>how can I disprove an unfalsifiable hypothesis

Let's believe in ghosts too, and spiritual energy! Let's pick one out of hundreds of contradictory unproveable religions! Yay!
>>
>>25064541
ghosts are real though
>>
>>25064408
>apatheism
>new age
>still has no idea what agnosticism means
Your mom should start spanking you again.
>>
>>25064599
>Your mom should start spanking you again.

This is the first insult I've heard on 4chan for years that made me laugh.
>>
>>25064598
I used to believe in Ghosts too, too bad I'm not 12 anymore.
>>
>>25064629
you gotta experience supernatural shit to believe it
i don't see why your age should matter
>>
>>25064681
Because children are more susceptible to delusions and aren't very experienced at critical thinking.
>>
Does spiritualism make you less of a dong?

Atheism probably pushes some nardlegongs to try and find proof to justify their beliefs when believing in a creator is easier and more comforting.

Probably lets them gain more knowledge, but does that knowledge make them any wiser for the pursuit?
>>
>>25064746
It's strange how those delusions often seem to be factually correct, like finding the spot where somebody once drowned.
>>
>>25064598
Ghosts are just demons who tickle your emotions and force you to react in some way for their amusement.

Whether they make you feel alright, or want to kill yourself, they all from the same ilk.

OOga Booga everything I disagree with is wrong,
any posts attempting to question my understanding of life is inherently evil and must be ignored.
>>
>>25064855
I never implied any of that, but okay.
>>
Strange, I feel as though some evil force has an idea contrary to my own.
>>
>>25064851
It's just a very basic bias. When people dream about something and it doesn't connect to anything they experience, then they just forget about it, but if somehow, for example, they have a dream about a bridge and there's a bridge being destroyed the day after on TV, people just connect a nonexistant dot and think it means something. It's rather childish and you seem like rather simplistic person.
>>
>>25065040
Okay my atheist friend, I'm too simplistic for you.
You win.
>>
File: 1082111710.jpg (129 KB, 721x962) Image search: [Google]
1082111710.jpg
129 KB, 721x962
>>25062555

Becoming an atheist seems a good indicator that the dude is open-minded enough to challenge his already existing beliefs. Same for converting to another religion.

Being born an atheist in a society which has obviously forgotten its fear of God long ago doesn't mean anything particular.

That being said, my Fedora is quite cool.
>>
>>25065188
Well, when you try to say that you need to "experience" something first in order to believe it and that ghosts are real, because the delusions are often factually correct without ever ellaborating anything, sure.

There are also plenty of problems with the experience part, because the easist person to fool is yourself, period. Your senses can be very faulty and the power of our mind can make feel almost anything genuine. Look at the various cults/religions, all experiencing various kinds of supernatural that are quite contradictory by nature, but still believing it and willing to die for them.

Look at also things liek confirmation bias, where you just cherrypick what already fits your worldview/explanation. Look at group delusions, where people are easily influenced into/thinking feeling something just be experiencing things with their peers/superiors. Look at the actual arguments for the existance of supernatural, they are never sound and too often depend upon falacies.

I'm not the brightest person, but this is one of the issues that's been debated to death.
>>
>>25062779
But I was born and raised atheist, anon. I've literally only seen the inside of a church for baptisms, weddings, and funerals.
>>
>>25065411
I half-jokingly said ghosts are real without really elaborating anything and you went on to try insult me and writing all this shit to prove me wrong. I get it dude, you don't believe in ghosts.

Fucking atheists, man.
>>
>>25062802
The world is only 14% atheist though. For two of the top 10 highest IQs in the world (which is retarded and dubious anyway) to be atheist, it seems to suggest that atheists are more common among those with extremely high IQs.

...not that we should really be generalizing from a sample of ten in the first place, but it's a shitty argument.
>>
>>25062555
depends, obviously, nobody here can make such autistic sweeping generalizations

my girlfriend was mormon and the only reason i stayed with her is because i could tell she would eventually convert out of it because she's intelligent enough to listen to reason

sure enough, she isn't mormon anymore
her situation shows intelligence because every ancestor of hers for the past hundred or so years was mormon, her entire family is mormon, they all indoctrinate her with bullshit on a daily basis using faulty logic and she is open minded enough to see outside of that

as another anon said, "Being born an atheist in a society which has obviously forgotten its fear of God long ago doesn't mean anything particular."
>>
>>25065860
im "atheist", or at least not theist, but just about all of history's intellectuals were theist

just about all the people with the "worlds highest iqs" practiced those tests to death and havent contributed shit to anything
>>
>>25062801
Yeah, its also about being a sucker for the church and a major cuck faggot
>>
>>25066167
Nice one, atheism!
>>
File: 1442127676537.jpg (15 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
1442127676537.jpg
15 KB, 620x400
>>25062555
2 Religion threads on one day? Whats going on here that garbage belongs on /b/
>>
>>25066212
He says while posting an image of a Pikachu.
>>
>>25062761
Because it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a conscious being, we can't figure out how it would happen with a god and can't figure out how it would happen without. It's a perfect standstill. The only thing atheists have on Christians are somehow convincing people that radicals are the normal Christian and that atheists are smart or something when really the smartest person will admit they have no fucking clue.
>>
>>25064382
>By default, if you can't know about something, you don't care about it.

Still being retarded I see.
If you're aware of a concept then you can ponder that concept. Not knowing about the existence of a God doesn't mean you can't contemplate the existence of said God or hold an opinion on the likeliness of its existence.
>>
>>25064316
Agnostics believe god can exist they are not atheist who believe their life has somehow prepared then to guess the existence of a higher being or not
>>
>>25065948
>Mormon
All literal translationists should be given a category like "traditional Christian" or some dumb shit like that. Seriously the only way you believe that shit is indoctrination.
>>
Being more intelligent makes you an atheist
>>
>>25064192
>papists dindu nuffin
Nice try faggot.
>>
>>25063991
>OP pic is what americans concider thin
>>
>>25063747
>I dislike something so it's a mental illness
someone keeps posting this more and more or it's becoming a new "buzzword"
>>
>>25067133
Found the mentally ill
>>
>>25062555
Most scientists turn out to be atheist so take that correlation how you will.
>>
>>25067445
The culture days smart people are atheist for no reason people want to feel smart so when breaking away from dumb religion they were forced into they decided to go to atheism because they think it'll make them seem mad
Smart
>>
>>25062580
Loled, nice one robot
>>
File: 1437417784311.png (381 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437417784311.png
381 KB, 500x500
lol does anyone have the video of him pouring hot oil all over his 1 inch dick then dipping his nutsack in it?
>>
>>25067598
Learn English, then post on an English-speaking board.
>>
>>25062580
>MUCH TO HER ENJOYMENT AS WELL AS MY OWN

the fact is we're seeing society fucking explode and it's because of a lack of objective morality. I'm not religious but it's certainly important
>>
>>25063902
>tfw wanted to fuck this girl when i was 10
>>
>>25067919
People have been saying that for forever, you naive moron.
>>
>>25062555
God makes me happy for the moment fag
I used to be an atheist but there was no point
I'm not stupid I just like believing in something its a nice feeling really
>>
I heard he's gone bananas
>>
>>25063614
>>25063649
there no way it s him kek is this legit ?
>>
>>25070277
of course it's him he even made a few videos about it where he was like OKAY GUYS SOME OF MY PERSONAL VIDEOS MEANT FOR LADY-FRIENDS' EYES ONLY WERE LEAKED IT'S NO BIG DEAL WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO SEXUALITY I HATE FEMINISTS SO MUCH AND GOD DOESN'T EVEN REAL
>>
>before (see, 18th century)
Yes
>now
No, might even do the opposite f@m
>>
no, but being an Amazing Atheist makes you more self righteous, belligerent and stupid
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.