[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When someone says "I doubt we are the only living organisms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1450373229165s.jpg (9 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1450373229165s.jpg
9 KB, 250x242
When someone says "I doubt we are the only living organisms in the universe" what they are actually saying is: Let's indoctrinate hundreds of thousands of more kids into believing that creating technology that can send puny meat sacks to giant rocks in space many light years away is worth it.

It isn't.
>>
Aliens might not be worth it, but asteroid mining certainly will be!
>>
Astrology is literally reddit the science. We need to stop using tax dollars to fund fake science.
>>
File: 1356984145245.jpg (6 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1356984145245.jpg
6 KB, 184x184
>>25059528
>asteroid mining certainly will be!

>he thinks we can find a gf for me in an asteroid
>>
>>25059578
If you survive enough runs you can just buy a robo gf.
Made out of metals your friends died procuring.
>>
File: 1417115940414.png (491 KB, 499x597) Image search: [Google]
1417115940414.png
491 KB, 499x597
>>25059502

Maybe there's a planet with alien qt's whose biggest turn on is awkwardness.

You really want to deprive the world of this possibility?
>>
>>25059502
The universe is huge, but there is nothing to fear. Don't you want to be part of something bigger? Something that allows what are just clever monkeys to be something more...
>>
>>25060624
What if we find something to fear?

What if it finds us?
>>
>>25059564
>astrology
>astrology
>not astronomy
Let me guess, American education strikes again?
>>
File: 1449779522727.jpg (270 KB, 1200x757) Image search: [Google]
1449779522727.jpg
270 KB, 1200x757
>>25059671
>Maybe there's a planet with alien qt's whose biggest turn on is awkwardness.

Get me off this rock right now
>>
>>25059671
The universe is infinite anon, so its probably certain.
>>
File: yarlshowingteeth.png (14 KB, 648x591) Image search: [Google]
yarlshowingteeth.png
14 KB, 648x591
>>25061727
The only thing we have to fear is ourselves.
>>
File: 1308079089001.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001.png
218 KB, 600x579
>>>>25061727
That seems quite unlikely.

Supposing a civilization manages to conquest a viable way for them to travel through the galaxy or even inter-galaxy, what reasons would they have to do us harm?

If life is a rare phenomenon they could be a little cautions, but we can barely explore our neighborhood, how can we pose any threat to a civilization that can explore the whole universe? I think in this scenario they'd just interact peacefully or maybe just leave us alone and study us from a distance, like a biologist that studies a new species they find here on Earth (they don't raid their habitat and destroy everything). People usually compare the idea of native american and the europeans to us and an alien civilization. But that's thinking too highly of ourselves. The aliens wouldn't need anything from us or our planet. All the resources they could need are available everywhere.

The biggest problem would be if life was abundant across the universe. What if a civilization who harness power from stars find themselves in our star system without fuel? They could harness our sun and don't give any fucks to us. Like when you see an ant in the kitchen and you kill it. It's just an unimportant insect in your way. In this situation they wouldn't go out of their way just to kill us, but they could kill us by indirect action.
>>
>>25062254
>People usually compare the idea of native american and the europeans to us and an alien civilization
Well they could still possibly unintentionally spread some infection that we have no defense for.

Do you think we would benefit from alien contact? Right now we're sort of safe, in a 'space' way, in that we have no contact with anything, so nothing seems to be threatening us at all. Alien contact could mean getting dragged into some galactic dispute.
I guess we could get an impartial alien and ask them "which gender actually has it worse?"
Really I'm just shitballing, there's no way of knowing.
>>
It's not about finding other life. It's about the new technology we'll invent along the way, and the economic benefits of purchasing materials and hiring a skilled workforce to do so rather than the money sitting in some richfags bank account.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.