[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your experience on anti-depressants /r9k/? My therapist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1450200916713.jpg (29 KB, 648x648) Image search: [Google]
1450200916713.jpg
29 KB, 648x648
What's your experience on anti-depressants /r9k/? My therapist has recommended them to me and I want some info on them.
>>
I know a guy who is taking cipralex, which is babby tier. He says it's good for him, but it's mostly placebo in his case, since he says it worked right away(which is bullshit obviously since SSRIs can take weeks to start working).

Anyways he described it that it makes him not give a fuck. Be passive, zombie-like and calm.
>>
>>25055114
Sounds good. I'd rather go zombie mode at this point.
>>
>>25055114
SSRIs work for me right away because I have bipolar disorder. They make me really manic and I feel really high and I start laughing at random times. Feels like a low-dose MDMA or something.
>>
>>25055114
>passive, zombie-like and calm.

What would happen if you are already these and take them
>>
>>25055148
That's interesting. Actually that guys mothers side of family they all have mental illnesses(his mother, his sister, his grandmother). And they all either take or have taken anti-depressants. You think it could be related? That maybe it really did start working right away because of the genetic predisposition?
>>
>>25055175
Probably not, since he said it makes him feel like a zombie. That's how SSRIs are supposed to feel for normal people.
>>
>>25055077
I tried a SSRI named citalopram. Its not really strong. It didnt work for me. I felt nothing. Except fapping problems.
>>
>>25055172
http://www.ssristories.net
>>
>taking medication for depression

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP
>>
File: 1439930126654.jpg (463 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1439930126654.jpg
463 KB, 600x450
>>25055235
I don't want to have to read through all that shit, just asked a question
>>
>>25055077
I was on sertraline for a while. I think it was probably a placebo effect more than the drug itself but I so much fucking better when I was on it. Stopped me getting the long, morbid troughs in my mood where I couldn't muster the motivation to leave my filthy stinking bed and only thing that got me close to leaving was the thought of downing my remaining 1/2 bottle of Macallan 25 and seeing if my car could reach 300km/h before I sent it into a telegraph pole.

Completely lost the ability to orgasm though. Masturbation or sex, didn't matter. That's why I'm off it now, I've got two months of work and I wasn't going to let thise fucking pills get in the way of me fucking hot Slavic beauties. Here's hoping the enjoyment of the holiday will be enough to hold the depression at bay.
>>
I was taking 225 mg of Venlafaxine a day for 2 months and it didn't do shit. Now that I went cold turkey I have these brain zaps that are annoying as fuck.
>>
>>25055248
"5000+ Database of News articles documenting antidepressant-induced violence and bizarre behavior."
>>
>>25055175
>>25055199
I should say that genes play a huge part in whether SSRIs are gonna work though. Maybe they could decide how fast they work. For some people, they don't feel anything from anti-depressants. Some research group is developing a blood test to see whether SSRIs are gonna work for you; doctors are probably gonna use that once it develops instead of waiting weeks and upping the dose over and over to no avail.
>>
File: 1442092623592.gif (1024 KB, 184x141) Image search: [Google]
1442092623592.gif
1024 KB, 184x141
>>25055278
If you don't agree with meds you didn't have to give me a free (You)
>>
Heard a few stories of people having success with Wellbutrin (Bupropion).

Of course they don't prescribe it on the NHS for depression because it has something minuscule like a 0.1% incidence for causing seizures at heroic doses well above therapeutic levels. And yet they DO prescribe it as a smoking cessation aid. But not for off-label use.

So all we get here is a choice between a bunch of fucking SSRIs, all of which are going to make your dick limp, and none of which have been proven more effective than a placebo. What a crock of shit.
>>
>>25055077
Citalopram - all emotions gone, dick doesn't work, tired all the time, shit-tier drug.
Mirtazapine - fapping feels awesome, short term memory loss, clumsiness, no obvious effect on mood. Not worth the side effects.
>>
>>25055303
I have no opinion, medications help people. It's an individual thing. You just need to know the risks. R9k plus SSRI is a pile of kindling under fire logs with a match within reach.
>>
>>25055175
>>25055148
Two facts about SSRIs might be relevant here.
One of the effects of SSRIs can be an increase in agitation and energy. They are supposed to elevate one's mood after all and this can manifest in different ways for different people. Often though, the agitation and increase in motivation occurs well before the SSRIs main effect of improving mood.
This is the reason behind the black box warning about a potential increase in suicide risk after starting SSRIs - one of the symptoms of depression is a lack of energy and motivation, if the SSRIs fix this before the patient feels 'good' then the SSRIs might give them the energy and motivation to finally go thhrough with suicide.

Also, in people with bipolar, SSRIs can triigger manic episodes. This is especially dangerous in people with Type II bipolar who alternate between depressive and hypomanic episodes. Type II bipolar can be msitaken for depression and so treated with SSRIs causing triggering a potentially catastrophic manic episode.
>>
>>25055422
Why wouldn't it be more dangerous in people with Type I bipolar? I had to be hospitalized after I came off an SSRI because it induced a full-on manic episode where I was running around talking to stray dogs in the rain.
>>
>>25055422
That's interesting. I was always wondering why "suicidal thoughts" were listed as one of the side-effects. You seem like you know a lot about this, what about combining it with drugs? See the guy I mentioned here >>25055114
He first started having problems after ODing on meth. And everytime he had an episode it was after getting fucked up on something(usually weed but sometimes harder stuff). I heard that drugs can(and do) trigger depression and other mental illnesses, but then does taking SSRIs even help? Should he stop taking it if he stops doing drugs? I know this question is more suited at his doctor, but she knows jack-shit and he doesn't want to go to a shrink.
>>
>>25055483
It would be.
But by definition, type I bipolar requires at least one manic episode for diagnosis and does not require depressive episodes (although they are usually present). This means it's much harder to mistake type I bipolar for depression and thus it's very rare that a psych would prescribe SSRIs. The hypomanic episodes of type II (basically manic but doesn't impair functioning or cause significant distress to the patient) are rarely the presenting symptom and may be missed in the history if the psych doesn't not specifically explore for them.
>>
>>25055626
>>25055626
Drugs absolutely can be a trigger for mental illness.
This could mean any of
>Patient responds in an unusual way to certain drugs
>Patient has episodes of psychosis, depression or whatever triggered each time they partake. Difference from above is that the mental symptoms don't appear related to the mechanism of the drug's effect, kinda vague difference but a lot of psych is pretty vague.
>Patient has episodes of psychosis, depression or whatever triggered each time they come down
>The patient abuses a drug or drugs and this triggers their mental illness which may continue sporadically or continuously even after they stop using the drugs and never take it again.
>The patient develops a mental illness after abusing a drug or drugs for a long time. Difference from above is that this is more likely to do with repeated damage to the brain from the drug abuse rather than it 'triggering' a mental illness. Not all drug users will suffer this damage in the same way or to same degree.
This isn't some official schema you'll find in textbooks or whatever but it's a useful way to consider the topic.

As for whether the SSRIs help ... maybe. I can think of mchanisms by which SSRIs could help substance-induced depression. On the other other hand it's also possible that it is just a placebo effect, but if that placebo keeps his mood stable and stops him committing suicide then so be it.

Should he stop? Maybe (again). This is something you'd want to do with close consultation with a psychiatrist or a GP that's good with mental illness (some GPs are amazingly skilled with mental illness ... some are ... not). Obviously the earlier he stops the drugs the better because if it is triggering depressive episodes then it's clearly doing something bad and there's the chance that it'll be harder to get off the SSRIs or even that it won't be substance-induced depression anymore, just permanent depression.
>>
>>25055077
Taking Celexa occasionally, it works all right but it wrecks my sexual function (less stimulation, and anorgasmia). If I'm going to be a NEET, I might as well have fun jerking off.
>>
anyone got experience with fluoxetine? I was given a prescription for it but I havent started yet because I have this worrying feeling that it's not the right thing for me and that the doctor just kinda rushed to write something to get me off her case
>>
File: Taqaandan.jpg (225 KB, 557x755) Image search: [Google]
Taqaandan.jpg
225 KB, 557x755
Generic drugs aren't all the same from brand to brand.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/12/03/expose-reveals-why-we-no-longer-trust-all-generic-drugs/

pic unrelated
>>
>>25055232
Yeah, I was on cito as well, same thing.

I've been put on Sertraline now so there's that
>>
>>25055077
Depends what he's giving you. I'm on prozac. Works well for me. It's not a magic bullet but it helps. Some people get side effects. Sexual dysfunction, robotiveness, whatever. I don't think it's as common or severe as some of the horror stories make it out to be. Go ahead and try them, if you don't like them after three or four months up the dose, get off them, or try a different kind.
>>
File: trash.gif (2 MB, 400x373) Image search: [Google]
trash.gif
2 MB, 400x373
I feel worse off taking Zoloft/Sertraline. The side effects were shit and I'm just left disappointed that it doesn't work, for me anyway.

Maybe the next medication I'm put on will work.
>>
I had social anxiety and now I take Escitalopram and now I don't have social anxiety anymore.

I hear it does nothing or does harm if your problem is anything else. It's not a happy pill, it's a stop-giving-fucks pill. If your problem is that you can't stop giving fucks about things, it could work. If you're unable to feel happiness, it will never help with that.
>>
>>25057193
If you really think that, get a different doctor. She's ethically required to help you do so.

Also, talk to your pharmacist, they know what they're doing.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.